The Big Picture: Jawsome

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Wicked. Now do an episode on Captain Planet!

Thunderous Cacophony:
And now that I think about it, Bob is right: There isn't really anything particular I remember about the Street Sharks other than the fact that it existed.

Yeah, same here. I'm pretty certain I did watch an episode or two, but I can remember nothing about it apart from "guys who are sharks".

Biker Mice from Mars is a series I similarly can remember very little about, but the title gives me a warm nostalgia glow which indicates I probably at least enjoyed it at the time!

I remember having a few street shark toys as a kid. I think I had the leader (the great white) the hammerhead, and one that was half man half eel I think.

I think I had a couple extreme dinosaurs too. A triceratops who could have these bone looking claws attached to his arms and some weird armor, and then a velociraptor with can openers on his arms and a plated tail ending in a spike. Sound at all like e-treme dinos to you guys?

Score one for nostalgia blast!

A3sir:
So now Biker Mice from Mars?

All of this, those mice had good character if I remember correctly... than do Swat Cats.

The Street Sharks i only remember through commercials,and the only thing i thought about them was that they looked cool.But Extreem Dinosaurs i remember well, together with TMNT,Power Rangers, Biker Mice from mars, Beast Wars ,Exosquad,Dragonball Z,General Daimos and Saint Seiya they besicaly constituted my entire childhood. Ah nostalgia.

Leemaster777:

I had the spaceship XD

I'd actually be most interested in learning more about the behind the scenes stuff for Sonic SatAM. Although I never caught the Sonic Bug (praise the Lord for that) I must admit that that show really kicked ass, and would love to hear how it stood head and sholders above almost every Videogame cartoon that was around at the time.

I was hoping extreme dinsaurs would end up in this, I kinda want see what he thinks of transformers : beast wars though.

A3sir:

I totally forgot about that show. I remember that I liked it, a lot... but I can't remember why.

Trishbot:
Oh, the 90s. SOOO many "mutant/superhero/monster" hero shows.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Street Sharks
Biker Mice from Mars
Extreme Dinosaurs
Mutant League
Mummies Alive!
Gargoyles
Creepy Crawlers
Skysurfer Strykeforce
King Arthur and the Knights of Justice
Toxic Crusaders
Stone Protectors
Cowboys of Moo Mesa

Can anybody think of any others?

bloody hell I forgot about mummies alive

Two best friend play, keep bringing up street shark in their videos. So I figured

For a moment I thought this was going to tied in with the Dinosaucers. Oh well.

*sigh* I had Ripster, the shark car, and Killamari.

Seriously, just do an episode on Cy-boars (if they ever even got a show) and you'll have profiled every damn toy I've ever owned.

Was there any cartoon in the 90s without the generic, godawful power metal theme tune?

I only ever watched a few episodes of the shows but I had both Street Sharks and Extreme Dinosaur toys. Good stuff man, right in the childhood. Great episode.

I sat giggling the whole time. I used to watch this as a kid and had no idea there was an overarching storyline. Same with the Extreme Dinosaurs.

To continue the trend of half animal/half man posts. I'll just post a certain theme song.

Let's rock...and ride!!!

thehorror2:
Was there any cartoon in the 90s without the generic, godawful power metal theme tune?

Well there was Gargoyles and... I think that was it...

Like almost everyone else I remember that I watched this show as a kid, but I couldn't tell you a damn thing about it. I also had some of the toys, the Hammerhead and the Tiger Shark I think. Now, having been reminded of the show, I am clearly reminded of how bad TV was during my childhood, so thanks for that.

I vaguely remember the commercials but I never saw the show myself. Now I am glad I didn't.

A3sir:

I think this is like the Chicken & Egg dilemma. Which came first, the sharks or the mice?

I'm saying that while being about 90% sure that BMFM came first - but it does speak to the fairly interchangeable nature of both properties. In both cases you had some me-too cartoon animals made to look tough in the vain hopes of stealing the Ninja Turtles' crown.

The people that voiced their human allies worked at on of our local theaters, which i participated in heavily(one that did more plays for children) when I was in high school and so while they were recording in a satellite studio for some of this show. Specifically Jim Hoggit's character.

Trishbot:

Street Sharks
Biker Mice from Mars
Extreme Dinosaurs
Mutant League
Mummies Alive!
Gargoyles
Creepy Crawlers
Skysurfer Strykeforce
Toxic Crusaders
Stone Protectors
Cowboys of Moo Mesa

Ziv Zulander and the Bots Master. It's basically the same deal cept it's robots in the far off distant future of 2025 or something like that.

Also pretty sure the main bad guy was named Paradim also... Not very creative in the 90's.

Leemaster777:
...and another one featuring monkey-men (like Planet of the Apes in space).

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's a reference to this

OT: Come to think of it, I think Bob summed up a lot of 90's shows there. "Generic as hell" is probably how I'd describe SWAT Katz (which yes, I did track down and watch). It's also the reason I could barely remember Extreme Dinosaurs before I saw that little clip. And probably the other reason I haven't gone and hunted down Biker Mice from Mars.

That, and dread of what horrors they might bring back to the fore O_O

Oh wow, I remember Street Sharks and Extreme Dinosaurs... albeit barely, since I haven't seen either since I was younger...

Still, maybe they could go a reboot? ...Maybe.

Trishbot:

Street Sharks
Biker Mice from Mars
Extreme Dinosaurs
Mutant League
Mummies Alive!
Gargoyles
Creepy Crawlers
Skysurfer Strykeforce
Toxic Crusaders
Stone Protectors
Cowboys of Moo Mesa

Would the cartoon adaptation of Darkstalkers count?

DVS BSTrD:
A little early for Shark Week Bob :P

Get this man his own column lol.

I'm not sure there's anything to add or say... outside of the above statement... um.. um.. um, I've never seen this.
You sure you had alot people ask to this one bob?

CrazyGirl17:
Oh wow, I remember Street Sharks and Extreme Dinosaurs... albeit barely, since I haven't seen either since I was younger...

Well, if they rebooted Biker Mice...which they did... X3

Jamane:

Trishbot:

Street Sharks
Biker Mice from Mars
Extreme Dinosaurs
Mutant League
Mummies Alive!
Gargoyles
Creepy Crawlers
Skysurfer Strykeforce
Toxic Crusaders
Stone Protectors
Cowboys of Moo Mesa

bloody hell I forgot about mummies alive

It was on around the same time as dark stalkers the cartoon. I know that's off topic,
but that was at least kinda good where as mummys alive was...
Hell i don't know lol.

Am I the only one who's slightly upset by the whale shark having those big teeth?

Dammit I'm a nerd.

Extreme Dinosaurs and Biker Mice from Mars was way more interesting, as I remember. Still, definitely part of the early 90's generation of shows that were decent to some degree, but not entirely memorable.

Holy shit, Extreme Dinosaurs!

I completely forgot that they were a thing, and I can't believe I enjoyed both shows. Then again, it was the 90s and I probably didn't know any better. :/

I had those toys, they kicked ass. Never saw the show, but it doesn't look like I missed much anyway.

Vausch:
Am I the only one who's slightly upset by the whale shark having those big teeth?

Dammit I'm a nerd.

And yet I can out-nerd you. Street Sharks style. (mostly joking but I figure I can segway into this) Apparently Bob missed out on a bit of VA trivia w/ the sharks.

- Ripster was voiced by Lee Tockar who also voiced Vile on the Mega Man X episode of the Mega Man cartoon. And if it weren't for him, I would've never have watched as much of Street Sharks as I did.

- Streex was voiced by Andy Rannels who later went on to do some stuff for 4Kids. From what I've been told he's also now in the Book of Mormon. Yeah how exactly do you go from TMNT rip-off to badly produced anime dubs to a musical by the South Park creators? (Especially since Andy's VA work was never that good IMO. He had a habit of making villain roles sound kinda gay. Would explain why they cast him to voice Harley in Pokemon Advance actually)

- Can't remember Slammu's actor but Jab was voiced by Matt Hill. If you're a fan of Ed, Edd and Eddy then you probably already know who he voiced on that show.

Yeah hard to believe those actors are worth remembering considering some of the dialog they were stuck speaking in Street Sharks to begin with. Then again, given the other roles some of them have been credited w/ they've probably done even worse.

Huh. Don't think I've ever seen a single frame from this.
Thanks for doing a show on them even if it was rather boring to be honest. At least now I get the reference.

I can't stand nostalgia. It's really annoying how people push for this kind of thing. I have been bitten by nostalgia, and it's never a good thing. I recently purchased the WildCATS cartoon on Amazon Instant Video and I remember it being awesome... and it wasn't. Though that theme song was pretty awesome, haha. Anyhoo, great video Bob, keep up the good work, even if I don't care for the content it was still an interesting way to fill free time at work.

CrazyGirl17:

Trishbot:

Street Sharks
Biker Mice from Mars
Extreme Dinosaurs
Mutant League
Mummies Alive!
Gargoyles
Creepy Crawlers
Skysurfer Strykeforce
Toxic Crusaders
Stone Protectors
Cowboys of Moo Mesa

Would the cartoon adaptation of Darkstalkers count?

I'll add to this list:
Bots Master
Mighty Max

Great shows. And I would consider Darkstalkers among the list of 90's cash in toys. There were action figures associated with that, and it was all based off the game.

I'm surprised nobody mentions Skeleton Warriors, and that Inhumanoids doesn't make it into more 80s nostalgia mentions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_Warriors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inhumanoids

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook