The Big Picture: With Great Power

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

MovieBob:
With Great Power

MovieBob calls for a new Geek Culture.

Watch Video

You know bob. I will agree that to a point "geek culture" or to be more accurate HOBBIES that people related towards technology have become mainstream and utilized by all.

However, I have to completely disagree with you on the assumptions you have made in this video and the complete concept that "geek culture" needs to literally act like some moral majority "please think of the children" movement. No really, I've seen this type of crap too many times growing up already related towards my religion, people who are atheists, people who are in government and the result always ends up the same. A complete corruption of that morality and the start of enforcing their own personal(whoever is in that seat of power be it self created or elected) morality and standards upon the populous and those that dissent are often turned into villains regardless of how much actual good those newly recognized villains have done.

This is why as of late people have literally been calling people who have video games as a hobby the next generation for the GOP. It literally is making base assumptions without any actual scientific evidence and utilizing a person's personal morality or experiences as some form of legitimacy that what they enjoyed as a hobby is somehow actually equal to that of the KKK of the early 1900's.

As strange as this sounds there shouldn't be someone who dictates what is or is not acceptable in terms of a hobby. That is what the LAW is for and for the most part the LAW already ensures that people are treated equal.

Because if you really want to really look at this whole controversy with Anita it really is a bunch of bullshit. Why? Because Anita's base hypothesis as stated in her kickstarter video suggests and I quote.

Anita:
Unfortunately many games tend to reinforce and amplify sexist and downright misogynistic ideas about women

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8I0Wy58adM

That right there is her hypothesis but there is a bit of a problem here because the content of media is fictional. Fictional content as we have seen in books, movies, music and other forms of media that has existed long before video games have also been consumed by the public and yet society in terms of the LAW has only become more equal and more progressive. Fictional works are meant to entertain and allow artists to create works should they choose to create art of the extreme, the erotic, the racist, sexist, gore, or even holding hands and walking under rainbows. People consume a work of fiction because the contents could be different from our social norms and they should be allowed to be different from our reality because it is FICTION.

As for the reaction? I have to ask this question. Is it sexist when you attack one person because you don't like their idea? OR is it just that a lot of people attacked that person as an individual because they didn't like their idea? And that's the rub. She literally played the victim and made the whole issue that she somehow represented as a figure of authority for the female gender. I mean she literally states in her videos that somehow the hate she gets from the internet is somehow coordinated. Last I checked the only "coordinated" attacks from the internet come from LOLSEC which is disbanded and Anonymous to which usually just have people act as independent agents. So in other words it is just people being assholes because they don't like her as a person and she has not actually proven that it was a coordinated attack nor has she proven that said attackers actually has a proven history of being hostile to women because they are women.

There is a reason why whenever you start appointing figure heads for a hobby that it quickly decays. You only end up having people assert their morality onto others where as individuals we should be able to act freely and independently and not be subject to the moral shame and end up literally going through the same cycle that created the "culture" that you so proclaimed.

Never, ever going to happen, Bob. props, on your enthusiastic idealism though. As someone with a little background in psychology (I'm far from an expert though, still working on that elusive PhD), I can tell you that persecuted groups in history are much more likely to be exclusionary and exhibit far more non-normative pathological behavior once they start/become mainstream. This happens on both the individual level and in socio-group dynamics. It's actually pretty interesting to study as it turns out and it is actually quite easy to manipulate the psychology of this phenomena (politicians, marketers, religious leaders do this all the time). I like to call it the clipboard syndrome: Want to see someone turn into a complete ass... just strip them of their agency and then slowly give a little of it back and tell them to exert their "new" authority over others. Welcome to humanity, enjoy your stay.

DerangedHobo:
Maybe it's my myopic world view flaring up again but I don't see many racist geeks, Xbox live may have a bunch of 13 year olds spewing faggot and make me a sandwich every 5 seconds but those are all types of people. Of course people are going to spew racism and sexism and homophobia and hate, in a society where you're taught that thinking 'x' way is bad and muttering a 5 letter word will get you slandered a degenerate racist people are going to use the internet (one big soapbox) to express all of that repressed hatred.
Good video though.

If you haven't found racist geeks then you aren't looking very hard. Sure there may be fewer bigger cesspools of scum and villainy than X-Box live but it certainly doesn't stop there and when it doesn't stop there the excuse of it being a bunch of immature 13 year olds stops being the case. I can think specifically of my experience with the Magic: the Gathering community. A community that I would describe as a bunch of racist thieves. That community is comprised almost entirely of white and Asian guys (yes, I know that the game is also really big in Brazil) so if you're not one of those races you're probably going to be subjected to some pretty ugly comments. Hell even if you're a white male (and if you're Jewish in America there are good odds that you're white) you're going to hear the word 'Jew' used as a verb far more often than as a noun. It's not like this has gotten any better since I stopped playing Magic. I can recall a recent conversation that I overheard between a patron and and employee at a game store that specialized in both Magic and video games (in that they had lots of people in the store at the same time playing both Magic and video games)that went something like this:

Patron: Is it going to get dark around here this evening?
Employee: A little bit *smirking*.

In case you're wondering the patron is asking if there are going to be a lot of black people coming into the store later in the day. Wow.

Bob, I think the ultimate point I'd make too you in response to this video is this.
Sure, Nerd Culture may be in the mainstream.. but -Nerds- aren't.
People who fit the sterotype of the detail-oriented physical unfit fantasy and escapism loving 13-40 year old are always going to be unfashionable at best, and the victims of outright hostility from almost every other facet of society at worst. So, the idea that these people who form the core of the culture are going to somehow gain the power too direct popular opinion just because things they like are now liked by a wider audience is pretty ridiculous.

The embracing of so called "Nerd Culture" hasn't really changed anything besides the fullness of a few people in the entertainment industry's wallets, alright? The cultural attitudes towards Nerds are still exactly the same as they were before, and for the foreseeable future, they will remain so, so don't act like we've gained some X-Men powers that we must now wield responsibility, because we -haven't-.

You know I'm surprised you haven't done a "comics are weird" complete history of Superman yet what with this year being both his 75th birthday and the year featuring the Man of Steel reboot.

themilo504:
I'm curious how geek culture(or parts of it anyway) became so sexist, I don't believe it's because geeks always got rejected by girls, even if that is true.

On the other hand I'm asexual(or at least I think I am, the only girl around my age I know is my sister so it's hard to guess) so I don't know a lot about this human emotion you call love.

So i would like if you do a episode on that next week.

I do like video games but not books, plus I'm not the biggest fan of super mario bros 3, I'm more of a super Mario world and yoshi island guy.

you could be demisexual, like me. Not the type to instantly fall in love, but grow in attraction the more you are around someone. Even then it is more affection/cuddling and the like than sexual (though i might be warped in that case since i'm a BDSMer).

There is one thing about nerds that is positive, and maybe it's just the west moving towards an individualist stance. Free to be you. Free to be me. It's empowering to be able to just shamelessly do what you feel like doing.

That said. Nerd culture as you say. Is really incredibly immature. Which is why it maps so happily to Hollywood blockbusters. You won't find any refinement there. I finally caught Dark Knight Rises yesterday, well I DVR'd it during an HBO free preview a few weeks or so ago. I watched it because I reckoned it is probably the best of all of these high nerd movies that I've not been watching for forever now. There is just no substance there. The soundtrack is just pounding drums enough to give you a headache, and the whole film has ADD. About 30 things happen within a split second by sheer coincidence that would've otherwise meant the death or something of one of the principal characters.

In other words, as far as art goes. Nerds are really ruining everything for themselves and everyone. Maybe for the wider culture there are some social positives. But I think this was inevitable. In other words nerds were just ahead of the curve. And maybe we are just riding that arc of the moral universe that Dr. King talked about. Maybe we shouldn't be so fast to pat ourselves on our backs.

We need more high art nerds. People like Andy Warhol. Lou Reed and his bunch. This manchild stuff is overrated. It's not progressing art. Whatever happened to good pre 90s anime over in Japan. Japan used to have a film industry that could stomp Hollywood into the dust. Look at pre code Hollywood, and post code Hollywood. There's next to no solid pop art (read: everything that isn't fine art) coming out of any scene or any industry going on 10 or 15 years now. And I think the low expectations of nerds is probably to blame.

Showtime original series have been consistently hitting home runs since Queer As Folk. Is that nerd central or not? I can't tell what's what anymore but I know when the art is not happening. And this century, it isn't happening.

EDITED: Page 1 to Page 3 before I could type this up.

Trikeen:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10343-Were-Done-Here

Don't be that guy/gal, people who throw 'white knight' around are no better.

What the fuck did I just watch?

Is America seriously THAT different from the UK?

Were films like Revenge of the Nerds actually based on real life?

Because over here, you could play Warhammer and Rugby. Get good grades in school and have a good social life.

It was never a one or the other deal, there was no segregation. You just had people that got on and people that didn't. My group of friends had everything from keen sport fanatics to people who Maths enthusiasts. And we all got on fine.

There was no marginalisation based on cliques that to be honest, barely existed past the first year of secondary school.

I just can't relate to this sort of thing. I was never considered an outcast because I liked comics or computers. No one was, even amongst people who didn't share the interests.

Playing board games didn't somehow stop me from playing Sports.

MattKirby:
Watching this movie made me think of MovieBob as a hipster and not a nerd.

Nerds are really the hipsters of yesteryear.

I have a few problems with the video this week; first is that nerds are not a hive mind and this video seems to suggest that with ideas of community. If you took anytime to look into those issues of sexism and racism you would see that it's not a single minded out cry but an argument with people taking every possible side of the issue, and in most cases I would say the majority is on the side of fair treatment. Second is you dragged this video out way to long as soon as you got to Doctor Who you had more then matter your point and should of just gotten straight to your big but then.

If surfing every became mainstream would Bob demand that all surfers should try to encourage gender and racial diversity? If not then why should nerds do this?

Nerd culture is composed of male, white, heterosexual, cis-gendered, unatheltic, well-off people because that's the people who it appeals to. Try to make it more appealing to women, non-whites, homosexuals, trans-gendered, athletic, or poor people can only be done by diluting this culture so much that it becomes the same mundane sludge that everyone complains about because it lacks any sort of depth. Nerd culture is best when it's made for a specific audience, rather than everyone.

Bob, have you ever read through the comment sections on Youtube? or been to 4chan? do you really expect these people to suddenly turn around and become a global force for good? Get real Bob, its rules 4 and 5: Do not Forgive, Do not Forget.

Or to put another way: Cultures are defined and created by their bigotry. America was created when it rejected England, England when it rejected Spain, Spain when it rejected the Moors and so on. Geeks are not brought together by the perception as repressed but by the belief they are better, smarter and more perceptive then the main stream. No one forced us to take an interest in Star Wars/Trek/Craft D&D 40k or even MLPFiM we sought all that out because we thought we saw something in them that other people just don't get.

And that i think is way Geek culture is now becoming so dominate. While other cultural forces have been homoginized and shamed into including everyone Geeks retain enough identity to reject out side influence and thus have become a more biting driving force. Or in layman's terms Geeks still have their balls, and thus can shout down or shame down those who oppose their opinions. I don't think such a sub culture can ever bring about the progressive change you are looking for. Nor do I think it should because at best Geeks would create some kind of troll based "Love and Tolerate the fuck out of you" system of enforcing political correctness. And that path leads to the dark side... Or worship of the Emperor. You know what? Scratch that we need geeks to conquer all aspects of modern culture.

Blah, blah, blah.
Persecution is one of the sweetest things in human existence. Now that public executions, animal torture and gladiator fights are basically history.
And even if you try to pretend it is not, almost every culture has it's own standards on what is sexist or racist and what isn't.

TheRightToArmBears:
The culture I tend to identify with is metal, which I'd say by its very nature is incapable of truly joining up with the mainstream. When elements of it (glam metal, nu-metal) do, they tend to be derided by the rest of metal.

Isn't that rather self-contradictory? There's plenty of mainstream metal, such as Metallica, Black Sabbath, etc.

That's just the same as certain elements of "geek culture" becoming mainstream, while those elements are still derided by other factions of geek culture for not being geeky enough. It's essentially the same with every human cultural endeavour, whether it be music, politics, religion, art, etc.

Has visual art become mainstream because your grandmother accepts Monet and Picasso as "great art" while simultaneously decrying more recent artists such as Warhol or Mapplethorpe?

Ultimately, there are no ultimate arbiters as to how we classify art. Just ask the punks about that. You appear to be claiming that there is some kind of authority on what truly counts as "metal" music, despite it being a very broad genre.

Monxeroth:

itsthesheppy:

Jacco:
Christ. This was pretty much a sociology class in 6 minutes. I hate those stupid terms like "cisgender" cause it just adds to the idea of difference. If people truly want a unified equal human species, we need to stop making up stupid meaningless terms like that.

Those terms do have meaning to people who are different from you. Accepting that reality and adopting it into your worldview is a big step towards maturity and understanding. Spend less time fighting against that is meaningful for others, and spend more time trying to work those differences in perspective into your overall worldview.

Bob killed it here. The only thing missing was where he drops the mic and walks away in front of a stunned, silent crowd. Unsurprisingly there are already comments of people expressing their "Yeah, but..."s. Grow up, nerd community. Accept that it's all too easy for the oppressed to themselves become oppressors; in fact, its often too tempting for us to resist, to get a little payback. We were once (and sometimes still are) powerless, so the temptation to exercise power when offered is almost too powerful.

One needn't join any gay pride parades or write lengthy feminist book reports. But trolling those who do makes one the type of person who they resent. The abused becoming the abuser.

Here we have another great example of a common logical fallacy and flawed argument with the critique towards geek culture.
Do we have to just nod our heads and say: mhm, yup, youre right, yes that does need to be changed, yup its all true.

When people like Anita use misleading, misinformed, flawed arguments like:
There is sexual harassment at geek culture conventions
Therefore all geeks are schrodinger cat sex offenders.

No, not everyone who goes "Yeah...but" are trolls or haters that "need to grow up".
Most of them are actual intellectual people just pointing out the flaws in most of the critique aimed at this culture.
I mean how often do we not hear on the news: Video Games, bad for children, makes them into murderers, argh evil vidya gims!

Are we then, like you suggests, just supposed to say: Yepp, t hats how it is, we have to accept that critique, we are a huge training camp for terrorists and massmurderers.

Instead of going like most intellectual people would and say: Yeah but, that's not actually true

I'd be interested to see where Anita said that all gamers are 'schrodinger cat sex offenders', which, by the way, is something of a pseudo-psychological mess. I know it might be tempting to namedrop the one psychological thought experiment you know the name of in order to establish intellectual credibility, but it doesn't do your point very much service and somewhat muddles what you're trying to say. I've watched both of anita's videos and my impression was that despite her focused and pointed criticism, she has taken great pains to establish that she is not saying that all gamer culture is sexist, or that all gamers are sexist, but rather that available evidence points to a trend towards sexism. Which is a different statement altogether. Like many gamers, it seems you struggle to grasp nuance.

Also, be careful throwing the word 'fallacy' around, because sometimes you might not notice when you are guilty of it yourself, perhaps ironically in the very same post. Like where you compare people criticizing the nerd community for trending towards being sexist (for which there is supporting evidence readily available) to people claiming that video games make people violent (for which there is not). Your attempts to lump them together, to damn an idea due to a purely manufactured relationship with another more fallacious idea, is either borne from ignorance, or from a naked and shameful attempt to distract from the conversation.

I find your arguments un-compelling.

See, Bob, The statement: "We won" assumes that our goal at any point was to usurp mainstream pop culture and give the "gift" of our culture to everyone else.

And while this may have been YOUR goal, it was never mine, and I know plenty of people who feel the same. A common thread throughout your video is that geeks are somehow "rebels", this is an image i cannot recognize in the slightest.

We, or at least, I, never wanted to take the mainstream and bludgeon it until it turned into something I liked, I simply wanted to be able to like what I liked without suffering abuse.

Ultimately, geek "culture" isn't actually a thing, we are not a united force for anything, we're a bunch of people who share interests, beyond that we are nothing alike. Sure, more specifically oriented SUBGROUPS may have formed in plenty, but ultimately none of them can claim to represent "geek culture" more than any of the others.

For all your roaring of "WE HAVE THE POWER", we really, really don't. It's quite the opposite in fact. Instead of gaining power over the mainstream, we have simply passed off control of the thing we love to the very people that used to abuse us. And while plenty of decent things may have resulted from it, as many or MORE terrible things have come in their wake.

I don't give a single fucking shit if Mr. and Ms. America suddenly think that dragons are the shit. All I want is to have the stuff I like and to be left alone.

In the end Bob, you do not represent me, and I do not represent you, can we stop pretending otherwise?

A persecuted bunch of people attain "power" and choose not to persecute others themselves.

That would be a first in human history Bob...

I would say that the whole point of geek culture is to create a world where the persecuted become the persecutors. Video games, before they had stories and invoked complex emotions, were simply ways to feel in control, to meet challenges and overcome them. Comic books were stories of people who weren't like all the others, who fought bullies and won. This culture has never been about keeping people from being bullied or ostracized, it's been about a personal saense of strength and control. That's why there's so much racism, sexism, and homophobia; people who live their second lives in control don't want that control taken away, and they're willing to crush anyone who doesn't have the power to stop them.

So maybe geek culture shouldn't stay around. Maybe instead of changing it, we should abolish it altogether. The best parts of geek culture have been absorbed by the mainstream, so let's kill what's left before it's absorbed too.

Oh boy. Did someone forget to give Bob his meds again? I respect his knowledge and opinion on film and comics, but when he talks about video games or social issues, we get a guy who plays almost exclusively Nintendo games, and thinks that Internet trolls represent geek culture.

Aardvaarkman:

TheRightToArmBears:
The culture I tend to identify with is metal, which I'd say by its very nature is incapable of truly joining up with the mainstream. When elements of it (glam metal, nu-metal) do, they tend to be derided by the rest of metal.

Isn't that rather self-contradictory? There's plenty of mainstream metal, such as Metallica, Black Sabbath, etc.

That's just the same as certain elements of "geek culture" becoming mainstream, while those elements are still derided by other factions of geek culture for not being geeky enough. It's essentially the same with every human cultural endeavour, whether it be music, politics, religion, art, etc.

Has visual art become mainstream because your grandmother accepts Monet and Picasso as "great art" while simultaneously decrying more recent artists such as Warhol or Mapplethorpe?

Ultimately, there are no ultimate arbiters as to how we classify art. Just ask the punks about that. You appear to be claiming that there is some kind of authority on what truly counts as "metal" music, despite it being a very broad genre.

What the dickens are you talking about?

Whilst yes, Metallica and Black Sabbath are widely appreciated outside of the metal community, they're the two biggest metal bands in history, which does not equate to metal or even a subgenre being accepted. When did I say what could and couldn't be metal either? You seem to have completely misunderstood what I was saying.

empirialtank:
Or to put another way: Cultures are defined and created by their bigotry. America was created when it rejected England, England when it rejected Spain, Spain when it rejected the Moors and so on.

Just a few notes on history.

England was created when King Athelstan defeated all the other English and Viking kings (though England was conquered by Canute who defeated the English king, then by the Norman kings). England was never under Spanish rule and existed long before the Spanish Armada was defeated.

Spain was never entirely conquered by the Moors and through military invasions the Spanish kings overthrew the Muslim rulers. Also the Spanish had lived in Spain long before the Romans and Moors arrived, unlike the Americans.

Mick P.:
White supremacy alive and well I guess.

People who cry "white supremacy" when they don't have a real argument are alive and well I guess.

I hate when Bob goes on those "geek culture needs to be fixed" rants. They tend to be close-minded, have a lot of projecting and generalizing, and Bob kinda doesn't have the ethos to pull it off. He's telling an entire culture that they suck due to the few people, probably from sites like 4chan, who will probably remain assholes no matter how much you yell at them, and kids that will probably grow out of it.

uanime5:
Geek culture is composed of male, white, heterosexual, cis-gendered, unatheltic, well-off people because that's the people who it appeals to. Try to make it more appealing to women, non-whites, homosexuals, trans-gendered, athletic, or poor people can only be done by diluting this culture so much that it becomes the same mundane sludge that everyone complains about because it lacks any sort of depth.

Orly? Then what is this little Science Fiction show I keep hearing about, that broke down racial barriers on TV like no other show had done in the past, and continued to in its future "Generations?"

This is what Bob meant when he said that geek culture has always fancied itself to be intellectually ahead of the curve. While yes demographics are still being exploited, as they were exploited in yesteryear, we now have the kind of numbers and communication networks that can cause multi-billion dollar corporations to completely change their products and business models before they even hit the shelves. I think, if exercised the right way, we can prove that the demographics of the 1950s no longer apply today.

Sure, it's a bit optimistic, but really we should care about this. Not just so that females and non-whites can start getting a bit more representation in entertainment media, but also to make sure our entertainment is of the highest quality possible. Do you really think sticking to demographics raises the quality of creative works that come out? Demographics are the product of consumer statistics, focus groups, and rudimentary sociology. Remember what else was the product of focus groups? Bioshock Infinite's "gunbro" cover with Elizabeth relegated to the back. And remember how Naughty Dog had to fight tooth and nail to keep their protagonist female in Remember Me? Do you really think that kind of pressure to homogenize and not have "minorities" is a good or healthy thing for the creative works that make up our subculture?

I liked the video a lot. Particularly the first part, Bob you've gotten real good at making a convincing argument that everyone is at least a little geeky/nerdy now.

That said, there is also what Yahtzee said when referring to EVE online players. "They are to nerds what nerds are to normal people" and that describes me pretty well. I don't play EVE but what I do like is very niche and my being ridiculed for it hasn't stopped yet. However, I don't seek to return the favor. I'd rather just be left alone.

I haven't met many of the problems you described in real life so perhaps we are making progress? I don't know about cons, never been to one. I'm all for being more friendly and accepting though, generally speaking I'm having more fun when everyone else it too. :)

ThingWhatSqueaks:

DerangedHobo:
Maybe it's my myopic world view flaring up again but I don't see many racist geeks, Xbox live may have a bunch of 13 year olds spewing faggot and make me a sandwich every 5 seconds but those are all types of people. Of course people are going to spew racism and sexism and homophobia and hate, in a society where you're taught that thinking 'x' way is bad and muttering a 5 letter word will get you slandered a degenerate racist people are going to use the internet (one big soapbox) to express all of that repressed hatred.
Good video though.

If you haven't found racist geeks then you aren't looking very hard. Sure there may be fewer bigger cesspools of scum and villainy than X-Box live but it certainly doesn't stop there and when it doesn't stop there the excuse of it being a bunch of immature 13 year olds stops being the case. I can think specifically of my experience with the Magic: the Gathering community. A community that I would describe as a bunch of racist thieves. That community is comprised almost entirely of white and Asian guys (yes, I know that the game is also really big in Brazil) so if you're not one of those races you're probably going to be subjected to some pretty ugly comments. Hell even if you're a white male (and if you're Jewish in America there are good odds that you're white) you're going to hear the word 'Jew' used as a verb far more often than as a noun. It's not like this has gotten any better since I stopped playing Magic. I can recall a recent conversation that I overheard between a patron and and employee at a game store that specialized in both Magic and video games (in that they had lots of people in the store at the same time playing both Magic and video games)that went something like this:

Patron: Is it going to get dark around here this evening?
Employee: A little bit *smirking*.

In case you're wondering the patron is asking if there are going to be a lot of black people coming into the store later in the day. Wow.

Jew isn't a race, it's prominently an ideology and of course you're going to get people like that. You want to see some scummy motherfuckers then just mosey on along to 4chan, that place is a monkey house of hatred and racism. There will always be racism and sexism and homophobia and xenophobia in all subcultures in one form or another, 'it's human nature'. Personally, I like it this way, I see the internet as the last bastion of true free speech where you can find groups for anything and like minded people and you can call someone this or that without fear of repercussion (generally). It's freedom and to suggest that we should take that away in favor of some buddy buddy all holy goal is scarier than any ACTA or PIPA or SOPA or any censorship organization. You won't get everyone around a campfire singing Kumbaya, ever. Short of a mass lobotomy people will always be at eachother's throats for one reason or another whether those reasons be just or unjust.

Bob, you had me until the whole plight of the white heterosexual male geek.

Can someone please explain how/why so many self-identifying geeks think they're a special case or hold onto harassment or bullying for more than 10 minutes after being done with school?

Reading this thread has made one thing abundantly clear. Geek culture rightly deserves the treatment it gets in media.

Tradjus:
People who fit the sterotype of the detail-oriented physical unfit fantasy and escapism loving 13-40 year old are always going to be unfashionable at best, and the victims of outright hostility from almost every other facet of society at worst.

But is that because this person plays D&D in their spare time, or because they have tendencies toward introversion, social awkwardness, and quirks of behavior which in most contexts can come across as annoying or elitist[1]? In my experience, the "nerds" who aren't accepted by the "in-crowd" tend to be the ones who have a penchant toward those traits. There were plenty of guys in my school who liked video games and science-fiction and fantasy, and openly talked about it. But some of them were "cool," and some of them weren't. And, rather consistently, the ones who socialized easily were the ones who were "cool." This is true of all people, whether they like professional wrestling or Magic: The Gathering. People who are socially awkward will always be marginalized and vilified. Their hobbies most often have little to do with it. If you are easy to talk to, people aren't going to care so much if you play tabletop games or read the Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion every year.

[1] Referring to what you said about being "detail-oriented."

I can say that we should work on toxicity as a community, but using Anita as an example of unwelcome is a bad example. While she does get sexist comments hurled at her by trolls and the like, there are genuine reasons not to like her, for one that she does take a stance basically saying that any given moment where a women might be shown in any sort of danger is automatically sexist, even if men are in the same said danger, and acts like that that one moment defines that woman and that nothing else she does has any merit. Her points are all speculation at best, except that some tropes are over used specifically in video games.

I'm willing to accept others, I want more girls to play games and be into nerdy stuff, and while there are plenty of things about the culture that is male oriented, Anita is off, and I know I'm not the only one that thinks this.

I don't think most of those trolls spew hatred because they actually think like that, but rather because they offend by themselves.
Trashtalking is not about putting minorities down, it's about provoking your opponent.
By extention, anonimity gives you a free ticket to pretty much say anything and get away with it.

Thing is, though, we can't do anything against those people, we don't have the tools to do go without compromising the things that make most internet communities so color blind and emancipated, anonimity makes the entrance barrier entirely equal for everybody involved, and places more responsibility on their quality of character.

As for the Anita thing, I'm kinda tired of hearing that mysoginy in the industry is caused by straight, white males, and only straight, white males, but I should not be offended by being chucked into a big group that "causes the problem".
Unless I do, do I? HUH?! PATRIARCH!?
If only there was a place for discussion that doesn't blow up into a huge division, the only reaction I've experienced to sincere sexcism or racism is denonciation, any joke that goes into that territory must be accompanied with a apology, and suddenly people tell me there is this huge problem about women and minorities being perscecuted.
And "people like me" are the problem.
WHAT IS HAPPENING!?

1337mokro:
Mobilize the 40K nerd's mechanized infantry! We shall tear down all that oppose us!

YES! Let us take to streets Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for The Skullthrone!!

But seriously enough with the bloody feminist Anitaīs videos have been more or less busted by almost every one out there (my favorite videos doing that, is Thunderfoots Feminism versus FACTS).
Feminism have more or less become a joke since its no longer about equal rights for both genders (within reasonable limits, i mean when we look at the biological differences between women and men thereīs just some things that women can do and men canīt and vice versa) but about female superiority/a Drow society (big forgotten realms geek).

So no not a good video from my point of view.

Or, you know, we could accept the fact that entertainment choices don't necessarily coordinate with personal, social, economic or philosophical viewpoints, and abandon the idea of a 'geek culture' for what it truly is: a pathetic attempt at exclusivity driven by entertainment choice, an obsolete cultural backlash starting in the 80s driven by pseudo-intellectualism and superiority complexes (symptoms that Bob himself has, his rather condescending attacks on those that say, like Transformers films). Ultimately the very concept of a 'gamer' or 'geek' culture is inherently exclusive and driven by the belief that geeks are 'special'.

Honestly, why you'd shackle yourself to such a limiting cultural identity as 'geek' is beyond me. You're an individual for god's sake, your entertainment choices do not grant you some kind of arbitrary responsibility towards a nebulous and mushy concept like 'geek culture', nor does it make you somehow responsible for promoting social progressivism within a certain group.

TL:DR version: Fuck trying fix 'geek culture', it's an inherent promoter of arbitrary exclusivity, whether it be more traditional forms like sexism or racism, or the general intellectual superiority complex many self-described 'geeks' have.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here