Doomsday Arcade: Episode One

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Timtimfed:

Rogue 09:
This was a video from people who took Gaming Jokes 101 and thought they'd mastered the artform....

I knew that taking class would be a bad idea.

Thanks to all the people leaving the positive feedback on the episode, It's making my already large head swell to a gargantuan level. As to those who have not enjoyed the episode, I hope we can change your minds about it with the ensuing episodes.
Anyhow, thanks for watching.

GASP! YOu're supposed to be a jerk back when I'm a jerk! Trying... ugh... so hard... not to like you...*grunt*...

(Sigh) I failed. Yay. I'm a fanboy now...

Thanks a lot...

Mindfury:

Rogue 09:
This was a video from people who took Gaming Jokes 101 and thought they'd mastered the artform. The jokes were all pretty old and had been done on numerous other series before them. To add insult to injury, the actors came off as too annoying most of the time for me to enjoy them. Still, I'm hoping that this series isn't going to completly blow like DeRez, so I might check out another episode or two before I purge every memory I have of it through pain and fire.

By the way, with a show like that you'll never come close to being even comparable to ZP or UR. Let's not make the mistake of thinking you can...

And your show exists... where?

God, don't we all love an armchair critic with an inflated feeling of self worth...

Is that how it works? Only people who make shows can judge whether or not they like it?!?! Well, where's you rshow to support them? You obviously can't like the program since you don't have any videos out there to use as experience.

Doctors don't need to contract a disease to be able to diagnose it, and I don't need a doctor to remove the tape worm growing inside of me. So how about you slip into you're rubber underwear to keep all that dirty filth locked up inside and we can move on with our lives...

P.S. I didn't think the show was a disease... don't get the wrong impression. I actually liked the show and the creators and actors are all wonderful people who I'd love to have brunch with sometimes... You just chose to look at all the negative comments in my negative posting.

For Shame

this has solid jokes and solid editing and it took actual talent to put together. It literally beats unskipable to within an inch of it's life in terms of pure watchability. i can't believe they tied. I mean i can make smartass comments on a bad opening scene. Nice editing, make more.

whitch character is micheal shanks!!!!!!
please?

callmemuabdib:
whitch character is micheal shanks!!!!!!
please?

The one wearing the 8 bit tie.

Rogue 09:

Mindfury:

Rogue 09:
This was a video from people who took Gaming Jokes 101 and thought they'd mastered the artform. The jokes were all pretty old and had been done on numerous other series before them. To add insult to injury, the actors came off as too annoying most of the time for me to enjoy them. Still, I'm hoping that this series isn't going to completly blow like DeRez, so I might check out another episode or two before I purge every memory I have of it through pain and fire.

By the way, with a show like that you'll never come close to being even comparable to ZP or UR. Let's not make the mistake of thinking you can...

God, don't we all love an armchair critic with an inflated feeling of self worth...

Is that how it works? Only people who make shows can judge whether or not they like it?!?! Well, where's you rshow to support them? You obviously can't like the program since you don't have any videos out there to use as experience.

Doctors don't need to contract a disease to be able to diagnose it, and I don't need a doctor to remove the tape worm growing inside of me. So how about you slip into you're rubber underwear to keep all that dirty filth locked up inside and we can move on with our lives...

P.S. I didn't think the show was a disease... don't get the wrong impression. I actually liked the show and the creators and actors are all wonderful people who I'd love to have brunch with sometimes... You just chose to look at all the negative comments in my negative posting.

For Shame

Mindfury plays Donkey Kong in the episode. That's where his show is.

Panda666:
this has solid jokes and solid editing and it took actual talent to put together. It literally beats unskipable to within an inch of it's life in terms of pure watchability. i can't believe they tied. I mean i can make smartass comments on a bad opening scene. Nice editing, make more.

Believe it or not, the forum thread for Unskippable's winning contest entry was littered with comments saying exactly the opposite. :) There's no accounting for taste, I guess. Which is why we didn't try! Two winners, two new series. Something for everyone. See? We're populists here at The Escapist.

The thing is, they're two different types of videos. Take Beethoven's 9th, and take, say, Black Sabbath's "Iron Man". Not everyone will like both equally, but those that like that genre will love the one and dislike the other.

Actually, that's a pretty bad analogy.

Anywho, the point is, Doomsday Arcade/Arcadocalypse is a lampoon of video game mascots, is live action, is a look at the "real world" day-to-day life aspects of video game character's lives, and takes video game logic and puts it in real-world scenarios. So, basically, about half of all gaming humour.

Unskippable, on the other hand, is a blend of MST3K and machinima, rife with pop culture jokes, and pokes fun on the video game logic as applied to the video game itself, and voice acting and camera work and the other technical bits. So, basically, the other half of all gaming humour.

But the thing is, both are examples of those two types of gaming humour, but done really, really well. And here's where that bad music analogy I made comes in - not everyone will like both, but fans of the specific genre will love it.

Um, yeah. That's about it.

DETHANAUT:

Rogue 09:

Mindfury:

Rogue 09:

For Shame

Mindfury plays Donkey Kong in the episode. That's where his show is.

Besides, I was mostly addressing the bold, thus the comment on an inflated sense of self worth. Wow, so you don't like it... does it really mean that you'd need to come across as a melodramatic ass about it (oh, woe is me, a webseries that I have slight qualms with. Better bust out my hyperbole hat and hit the forums...). I'm sure are a few people out there that don't enjoy this as much as Michael would have hoped, but it seems they, unlike you and about 2 other posters in this thread, have both the ability to show some self restraint and some appreciation for the time and effort that goes into any creative piece, whether it be music, photography, comics, or a game-related webseries.

Secondly, taking a clearly obvious joke (as demonstrated by the slight rib against De-Rez beforehand), spinning it as arrogance, and then attacking that by passing opinion as fact is simply moronic. Yahtzee is a much-deserved internet phenomenon right now, and is absolutely hilarious. I think that, and I know Shanks and Lund think it too. I'm pretty sure, however, that you're allowed to aspire to that, or rather, any level of success. I'm also pretty sure that your assessment that ZP is better than this isn't the law of the land. I know people who don't enjoy ZP for various reasons... This doesn't mean I need to jump on my high horse and lambaste them for thinking differently. ie: have an inflated sense of self-worth (my catchphrase of the day, clearly)

And lastly, yes, as Michael Lund pointed out I am involved in this series, so there you go. And while that doesn't, nor should it ever, constitute for taking credit for Shanks' work, as my part so far in the written episodes is absolutely miniscule, while Michael writes, edits and stars, i'm sure he knows and appreciates the fact that Lund, Alex, Ash, Nick, Sam, myself and anyone else involved will continue to provide him with both physical appearances and creative ideas.

So, in summary, you can love it or hate it... But being an ass about it doesn't change jack shit. As long as there's an audience that enjoys it, which there clearly is, there will be much more of it to come.

OMG EPIC!! MAKE MORE!!! that's all i got to say about it

pimp.and.squeeze:
OMG EPIC!! MAKE MORE!!! that's all i got to say about it

What he said.

This is the begining of a great escapist series

Looks nice guys, haha hope to see a new episode soon!

I liked what I saw. It's far from the best series here on Escapist, in my opinion very far from it. But it has all the makings of an enjoyable series that will become part of my internet update seeking ritual.

Keep it up!

the link piece was really well done.

I absolutely loved this - the over the top jokes, the shameless self-promotion, the total and utter smashing of the fourth wall, all added up to a great video. Very entertaining, and hilarious throughout.

Looking forward to more!

Oh, but what exactly is Chris Slack's method of self-promotion?

PLabrozzi:
[snip] ...some of the jokes and such it comes off like you were just trying too hard. it doesn't have the same wit or delivery like de-rez (most similar for comparison).

...are you serious?

I guess it's true what they say: there's no accounting for taste. If you traded this and de-rez' places in your post you'd have exactly my opinion.

Mindfury:
(oh, woe is me, a webseries that I have slight qualms with. Better bust out my hyperbole hat and hit the forums...)

I want a hyperbole hat. (It's the best thing ever! There's nothing I'd like more! I'd throw myself in front of a bus to get one!)

Oh, and this series is made of awesome. I've never seen a videogame-based series with better comedic timing (Unskippable comes close, but it loses due to its own concept). Want episode II now.

Far, FAR better than de-rez - I definitely look forward to seeing more.

Now I know every man and his goat has offered advice already and I'm not sure if you lads read the comments left, but one little thing I might suggest - don't overdo the punny jokes! Most of them were nicely times (it's obvious you have a good sense of humour and know about timing and pacing, something de-rez has no clue on) but you don't have to work everything into a pun, like the 'I have a dream... cast' part.

Also, you don't need to overact everything, like the voices of a Virtual World President (who is not called Mario?) or the two guys, with their "YEAH!!!!" *high five* all the time.

Just some ideas, but regardless I did really enjoy this. Nice to see more Aussies here, too! Unless you're Kiwis with really dull accents. ;)

I enjoyed it thoroughly. Even with the negative comments towards the end of this thread, I don't see any comparison between DeRez and this... see, I actually want to watch this.

The Random One:

PLabrozzi:
[snip] ...some of the jokes and such it comes off like you were just trying too hard. it doesn't have the same wit or delivery like de-rez (most similar for comparison).

...are you serious?

I guess it's true what they say: there's no accounting for taste. If you traded this and de-rez' places in your post you'd have exactly my opinion.

Well I won't insult your taste as you felt so inclined to do to mine, but de-rez aside, I honestly felt like they were trying to force the humor down my throat. Like I said, the idea for this show is awesome and combined with their work with the special effects leaves me wanting more.

But the humor comes off as a bunch of really quick gaming pop culture puns all smashed together, some of which are really clever but all of which feel forced because the timing just isn't right. A good joke comes from a little build up and a good punch line. these two guys who look like they each ate a bowl of sugar a piece then start yalping "preculiee ... arity .... preculiarity!!" it's like why? what did that add? You know, its got this real long monotone monologue by Mario talking about how all the users are so shit, lets go get them, then it cuts to these two guys who are all zany and off the walls for no reason at all.

its like if you've ever been to a comedy club or open mic night. you'll see a difference between people who have been doing it a while and know the right timing to drop the jokes. then you see somebody who maybe its their first time come up and they are nervous and so they just starting throwing out joke after joke real fast, and they end up getting mushed together and its not funny. the greats will all tell you its about timing. i think these guys have potential but they need to self-edit, take out a few of the puns for some more well timed build up and jokes. i'd smile at some of them and before i could even wipe the expression off my face they were already done with 2 more puns.

its just too quick, too contrived. and to top it all off, they are just starting and they are already proclaiming to be possibly the best new series on escapist? lets take it one step at a time, alright? I really would like this to get better, but they need to just chill out a little bit. as it stands they are like a flock of chickens running around with their heads cut off who've all just been pumped up with steroids, adrenaline & crack and also just finished reading the latest "101 Silly Gaming Jokes!" and can't wait to tell a few.

The Escapist just keeps getting better. I'd already seen this pilot but it was just as good the second time round so good job. Can't wait for ep2!

Great start to the season. The self-referential humor is good and the graphics are suprisingly clean. The melodramatic acting was a bit too much; kept me from being able to suspend disbelief. Still, this could lead to great things. I'm looking forward to more. The pacing is much better than De-Rez (snore).

I liked it when the games showed up at the end and I liked the video overall, this series should do well.

How the Hell did that guy do the jacket thing?

what was the song being played during snake's bomb?

Fucking sweet! Someone finally killed snake!

Really great. Sweet tie. Got it from thinkgeek right?

EchetusXe:
How the Hell did that guy do the jacket thing?

He walked backwards and took the jacket off, then the footage was played in reverse.

Not meaning to sound pushy or anything, but weren't we due a new Doomsday Arcade episode this Monday?

I speak as a fan.

I'm just going to ignore all the shit flinging in this thread* and say that every time I watch this video I laugh like a total idiot at just about everything.

* Originally I wasn't going to, but then I realised that trying to defend people's honours at quarter past one in the morning would be stupid. I could always come back later and do it, but I'd probably get distracted by the video and be even more useless than I am right now. Perhaps I'll stop typing.

Pretty good, wasn't sure about it from the intro, but it turned out ok.

This series is one: BAD ASS!
It's really, really good^^

7HE 7IME IS NOW!

Every other week is too long a wait.
This was awesome.

Lol'd at space invaders, keep 'em coming!

I found the use of Ghost Love Score when they ran from the bomb amazing. Hearing Nightwish outside my Ipod is rare. Cheers to you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here