Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Review - Pirate this Game!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Never been interested in the AC series, but Sid Meier's Pirates updated and in 3d with real fighting instead of what's basically a QTE dueling system?

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to pick this up if/when it comes to PC.

BloodRed Pixel:
Goodbye Assassin, Hello Pirate!
might be the first AC game to ever interest me.
This, I did not see coming.

But just look at this pic and say you don't want:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/gallery/view/35/10696/1850.4

Meh, I'd prefer if the sharks had lasers attached to their foreheads.

OT: Looks good, might pick it up at Christmas. When it's on sale on Steam. Cos I'm cheap.

Question. Already answered down below.

I haven't been interested in the series thus far (as in, I've never played a single AC game, ever), but AC IV does look quite interesting indeed. Do I need to keep up with previous' games events to understand what's going on?, I ask, because I've heard the story got a little convoluted and I fear for being left in the dark if I ever want to play this one.

SupahGamuh:
Question.

I haven't been interested in the series thus far (as in, I've never played a single AC game, ever), but AC IV does look quite interesting indeed. Do I need to keep up with previous' games events to understand what's going on?, I ask, because I've heard the story got a little convoluted and I fear for being left in the dark if I ever want to play this one.

Basically you use technology to relive the lives of assassins in the past. Anything else is so many peanuts they'll provide with exposition, lots of exposition. But all you need to know for this game is 'You are a pirate!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI

I had fallen out with the AC story because the meta-plot was getting cumbersome, imo. Knowing that Desmond Miles has been ditched has done more to sell me on this than any number of swearing pirates.

I know that headline was an easy joke, but I personally don't see it appropriate for The Escapist.
To each his own I guess.

Is this game worth playing even if didn't play the other games of the series?

I would have thought a valid con would be how unfitting the name is.

Assassin's Creed. I wouldn't say being a pirate is being an assassin.
The only thing it has to do with Assassination is the storyline from the previous games and your character being exceptional at melee combat.

It's like setting an Assassin's Creed game in the context of a third person shooter.

MXRom:

Fixed for ya.

LOL, I didn't knew the origin of that song! xD

Thanks for the info!.

Story:
I know that headline was an easy joke, but I personally don't see it appropriate for The Escapist.

I agree here. The tend to be incredibly draconian when people so much as mention piracy in forums.

OT:
GOD DAMMIT, I DON'T NEED MORE OF A BACKLOG.

I have so many games I need to play, but I have such a weak spot for pirate games.

Also I want to hunt whales because it makes me happy that somewhere in the world, I'm making a PETA employee cry.

I must admit it took me a while to get into AC3 and at times I found it a frustrating game. But I received AC4:BF today and although I have only been playing it a couple of hours, I love it already (the sunny Caribbean helps). And Edward - I'm really liking him! You wouldn't think him and Connor were related.

Okay cool the game nailed the feel of being a pirate, but one thing I didn't really see mentioned in either reviews was the assassin aspect. How is the stealth and assassinating handled this time? Better than 3? or is it just as this review implies insignificant and mostly absent?

So it's basically copying Port Royale with the Assassin's Creed logo on the box?

Well I might just have to give the AC series another go at some point. I lost interest half way through Revelations and ACIII did nothing to really hook me back in. I shall check Black Flag out when the winds of the steam sales are favorable :P

~ Gonna wait for the inevitable winter sale price drop ~

~ Been waiting for a worthy pirate successor to Sid Meiers, this looks like a contender ~

~ Also haven't played an Assassin's Creed since 2, so the gameplay will be fresh ~

So you... do what you want 'cause a pirate is free?...

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

OT: This one's definitely getting picked up, but I already knew I was going to, as I've been buying the Assassin's Creed games every year at release, AC3 was such a disappointment to me that I almost gave up on the franchise, but if 4 truly is the leaps and bounds of improvement it's being built up as, then this series might have hope yet!

Does anybody know if Uplay is needed?

Chairman Miaow:

It's one of the key Ubisoft's franchises. It's most certainly going to need Uplay.

Compares to Sid's Pirates.

Sold, yep, totally sold.

DarkhoIlow:

Chairman Miaow:

It's one of the key Ubisoft's franchises. It's most certainly going to need Uplay.

Well they just lost at least one sale. This DRM easily loses more sales than it saves.

Greg Tito:

hazabaza1:
Is that really the headline you're going for? Knowing the place's reputation for anti-piracy, you're going with that?

Well alright then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steal_This_Book

For that link alone I think I love you Greg Tito.

But I'm not in love with you.

(however I did flag your post for low content :) )

OT: A good open world pirate game? Sign me up. I'm thinking it might be my first purchase for my PS4 come Christmas...

Wait, a good Assassin's Creed game? As if in, one that's good all the way through instead of balancing good stuff and not-so-good stuff? And it's all about pirates? As if in, goes out of the way to be the best pirate game possible? With Assassin's Creed gameplay?

Sold, I am.

I have to say, this game is fantastic, and beautiful, even on the 360.

Just got the Jackdaw and i'm loving it, ii doubt i'll be fast travelling much

So what are people's opinions on the new protagonist? Is he as terrible as Connor or have they actually made a slightly likable character this time?

Greg Tito:

hazabaza1:
Is that really the headline you're going for? Knowing the place's reputation for anti-piracy, you're going with that?

Well alright then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steal_This_Book

I'm really tempted to flag this as low content post
I think that would be kinda funny
But on the other hand people often say that I have strange sense of humor :/

Might be kinda off topic, but has anyone played the bonus hour content on the PS3 version? I'm curious about what it is, and any thoughts on it. I didn't see it covered in the review.

Wait, you weren't at all put off by the fact that you have to play a sociopathic killer?
I feel like you should have spent most of the review talking about that, not all of this gameplay and story nonsense. I feel like maybe you should have misrepresented sections of the game by taking certain things out of context. You don't even mention how disrespectful this game is to women.

I loved your GTA 5 review but I feel like you went soft with your review of this horrid murder simulator.

EDIT: One more thing, I'm sorry but I have to take issue with your score. 5 stars? So this game is perfect? Look it's good but it's not Dragon Age 2 good.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

Story:

I agree here. The tend to be incredibly draconian when people so much as mention piracy in forums.

Draconian?
You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.

so while watching this entire review, all I could think of was "Holy fuck it sounds like Sid Meier's Pirates with better graphics and gameplay" then at the very end he said just that, made me chuckle, good review Greg

Carpenter:

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

Story:

Draconian?

Draconian
(of laws or their application) excessively harsh and severe.

Seems appropriate for the discussion. Maybe I overstated when I said "incredibly," but it's an accurate term.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

Carpenter:

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

Draconian?

Draconian

Seems appropriate for the discussion. Maybe I overstated when I said "incredibly," but it's an accurate term.

And what laws are harshly carried out on these forums when people talk about piracy?

Carpenter:

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

Carpenter:

Draconian?

Draconian

And what laws are harshly carried out on these forums when people talk about piracy?

People have received temporary bans and probation for relatively minor offenses.

I'm really not seeing the problem here. Unless you're taking the "law" part as a literal term that cannot apply to rules.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

Carpenter:

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

Draconian

People have received temporary bans and probation for relatively minor offenses.

I'm really not seeing the problem here. Unless you're taking the "law" part as a literal term that cannot apply to rules.

I'll be honest, my impression was that you were calling the social reaction (users reaction) to mention of piracy "draconian" so really I just misinterpreted what you said. My response was just me trying to somehow make my quote work.

I agree, the Escapist is very strange when it comes to the bans and probations. I have been threatened and put on probation several times because I disagreed with the "escapist staff" on several issues, respectfully I might add.

I also got suspended for mentioning my comment being removed for no understandable reason other than it annoying some random mod. Escapist seems to take a strong stance against people talking about moderation action but I've always been bothered by that policy on forums because it serves absolutely no purpose other than covering up unfair or harassing mod or admin action.

Fact is, as I said before, it's their shop and they are allowed to kick out whoever they want. They have a right to one day decide to ban anyone that's not white and christian if they feel the need because this is their place, but that doesn't mean it would be a smart thing to do and it certainly doesn't create a platform for open discussion and interesting conversation.

the thing I loved most about the AC3 naval missions was that there was enough nuance that even I, as someone who sails real boats on a semiregular basis, could enjoy and get immersed. Good mechanic, glad they ran with it. Will probably buy at steam winter sale.

Carpenter:

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

Carpenter:

I'll be honest, my impression was that you were calling the social reaction (users reaction) to mention of piracy "draconian" so really I just misinterpreted what you said. My response was just me trying to somehow make my quote work.

I agree, the Escapist is very strange when it comes to the bans and probations. I have been threatened and put on probation several times because I disagreed with the "escapist staff" on several issues, respectfully I might add.

I also got suspended for mentioning my comment being removed for no understandable reason other than it annoying some random mod. Escapist seems to take a strong stance against people talking about moderation action but I've always been bothered by that policy on forums because it serves absolutely no purpose other than covering up unfair or harassing mod or admin action.

Fact is, as I said before, it's their shop and they are allowed to kick out whoever they want. They have a right to one day decide to ban anyone that's not white and christian if they feel the need because this is their place, but that doesn't mean it would be a smart thing to do and it certainly doesn't create a platform for open discussion and interesting conversation.

Ah, I see the misunderstanding. I made no mention of the moderation, so I can see it.

And for the second part, I agree with your position completely. They can do exactly what they want and while for the most part they've been very good about it, sometimes letting things go would be better for discussion.

But we're getting badly off topic now. That's something that I can understand wanting to keep to a minimum.

Drummodino:
So what are people's opinions on the new protagonist? Is he as terrible as Connor or have they actually made a slightly likable character this time?

Still quite early in the game, but he's currently "A New Hope" Han Solo, before he see's the light.
(All about the money!)

Have to fix me ma's laptop tonight before I can get home and play some more.... does anyone know if slapping a band aid on a laptop counts as fixing?!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here