The Trials and Perils of Returning to PC

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

IrisNetwork:
Well, there goes Bob's argument on "PC gaming is dead" Haha.

I think Bob's argument was that the traditional concept of a single centralized PC would be dissolved into the various different devices we use in day to day life, devices like phones, tablets, laptops, the software built into your TV, and stuff like that. It's not necessarily the polar opposite of what Yahtzee is saying. For example: if you hook your gaming rig up to a television, plug in an Xbox controller, and start playing a game that clearly wasn't programmed for a mouse+keyboard hasn't your PC essentially turned into a console?

Basically he was saying PCs would change, people would stop adapting the world to them, and start adapting them to the world. Which is why the full title of the video was "PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming"

Mrkillhappy:

Toadfish1:
And I'm sure the fact that you failed to mention the Ps4 at fucking all won't undercut each and every one of the supposed faults you are claiming are endemic of "consoles".

Here, I'll just pop in my copy of Assassins Creed 4 to show how long the install time is, and then I'll - huh, the thing installed before I managed to finish my sentence. Weird.

Don't know if you know this but in a recent video he put up on youtube he said he hasn't gotten a PS4 yet.

So the blame rests on his own willful ignorance, then?

Toadfish1:
So the blame rests on his own willful ignorance, then?

I wouldn't say willful ignorance but just ignorance as he does plan on getting a system at some point it is just that right now there isn't much to get for it in terms of PS4 exclusives since a lot of the launch library was pushed back to early next year. So I would state that outside of the minor graphical upgrade he doesn't have much of a reason to buy a PS4 at this current time. I also believe the anecdote about ryse and the xbone to be that of his first impressions of this console generation out of the two big dogs.

Neither console really excite me at the moment. My plan is to wait 6 months to a year, getting which ever has better looking exclusives, otherwise no reason to buy one when the consoles really are trying to emulate PCs.

I think there was a missed opportunity in this article. It should've been "I got Just Cause just because, now bugger off." or something to that extent.

It's funny he mentions Just Cause 2, JC2-MP has been the only thing that has been making me feel better after a long day. I know Yahtzee's distaste of multiplayer shoved into games, but JC2-MP is from the Saints Row school of multiplayer sandboxes. Where you're set loose to do whatever you want and given extra powers to increase the pissing-around coefficient where it feels fresh again (like the power to boost vehicles of all kinds to insane speeds). It's amazing how playing as a Ninja who can fly boats feels so lethargic and soothing.

It's a reminder that a community keeps the game alive. So when next-gen console environments attempt to keep the community safely in a padded walled garden from which there is no escape, I can understand the utter disgust and feeling of wanting out. It's more apparent of the differences of console vs PC when I'm piloting my motorcycle going 1300 km/h.

Ah.
I always found Yahtzee overrated, and I'm one of the few who didn't register the Escapist because of him, but finally he seems to catch up on what I've been saying since last gen. At least, now I can always use the Argument from authority

After the 6th generation, consoles have become unecessary.

On the topic of price I'd say that whether or not a console is the cheaper solution depends largely on what the user is planning to do with the thing. My brother in law got a PS4 to play Fifa on it and that's all he's ever going to use it for. Naturally in his case that's by far the cheapest solution. If you're a core gamer and especially if you plan on playing online, the cost of Live or PSN and more expensive games is going to make a huge difference in the long run. You'll be paying 50$ a year for 8 years at least this generation, so the cost of your device just doubled. With PSN you get a bunch of really great games every month for free, but you don't get to choose which ones you get and you loose them if stop paying but it's still a great deal. The Xbox One seems completely irrelevant in this regard. You pay 100$ extra for a device that barely any core gamer is ever going to use in any substantial way and the free stuff you get each month so far doesn't seem to be worth a fifth of what you're paying.
Finally, with the PC you pay 700$ for the system up front, but you never pay for online multiplayer, you get Steam sales, games that are 10$ cheaper on day one in most cases and you get to choose between several different stores at any time.

All in all, I'd say the PS4 is a great, cheap choice for casual gamers and Single Player only core gamers, PC is cheapest in the long run for everyone else and the Xbone, at least at this stage seems overpriced in every regard.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
I've resolved to focus more on the PC because there is no longer any rational reason to use a console instead.

Ummm, yeah, no rational reason except for the one reason we all play games. You know, the games.

As someone who's favourite genres include JRPGs and fighting games I see a rather large problem with considering PC the be all and end all of gaming. Technical issues aside, and I agree that consoles are very much becoming more PC like every year, it's a pretty silly argument to leave the whole "game" factor out of "gaming."

I love echo chambers so much.

There are plenty of games I like that are console-only. So no, they aren't dead or pointless. I play a lot of games on my PC, but the day I start feeding into a "conversation" like this is unlikely to ever come.

Compatriot Block:

There are plenty of games I like that are console-only. So no, they aren't dead or pointless. I play a lot of games on my PC, but the day I start feeding into a "conversation" like this is unlikely to ever come.

He mentions that in the last paragraph.

The only problem consoles now solve over a PC is the problem of not being able to play their exclusive titles, a problem which the console created by making the games exclusive in the first place.

Granted, there are some Japanese devs that don't have any PC experience, but with the standardised architecture of the new gen of consoles this excuse won't hold water for long.

Ed130:

Compatriot Block:

He mentions that in the last paragraph.

The only problem consoles now solve over a PC is the problem of not being able to play their exclusive titles, a problem which the console created by making the games exclusive in the first place.

Granted, there are some Japanese devs that don't have any PC experience, but with the standardised architecture of the new gen of consoles this excuse won't hold water for long.

Okay, but that only shows that there is a problem. I honestly doubt that we'll ever see a time where all games are available for all systems. If we do, then feel free to find this thread and I'll admit all my wrongness because I'd love to not have to worry about missing cool exclusives, but until then all he has done is acknowledge the problem.

Not to mention there are plenty of games exclusively on the PC that could absolutely run on a console, but nobody is calling that a problem.

Ironically, it's probably the consoles themselves that led to this state. With Sega pulling out the 16-bit thing and making consoles want to focus on graphical fidelity and tech, they've slowly edged out the reasons why they're superior over a PC. Halo and the advent of viable console online Multiplayer didn't help much (and I'm a Halo fanboy).

I do still like a bunch of games on the consoles, and I'll probably get a PS4, but I don't see the consoles lasting this generation. Worst case scenario, consoles will become entirely irrelevant in the next few years.

Compatriot Block:
Okay, but that only shows that there is a problem. I honestly doubt that we'll ever see a time where all games are available for all systems. If we do, then feel free to find this thread and I'll admit all my wrongness because I'd love to not have to worry about missing cool exclusives, but until then all he has done is acknowledge the problem.

Not to mention there are plenty of games exclusively on the PC that could absolutely run on a console, but nobody is calling that a problem.

All of the woes that you have mentioned is very much a problem of consoles. It's the problem of the publishers and the console makers being in bed with one another. Do you think those publishers like being told that they can only release their game on that one console because it's going to be a launch title and carry the new hardware? Do you think the developers like having to cater to a console and the various gimmicks that have been stuck onto them in order to appear 'different'?

This isn't even getting into the problem of the console makers being in bed with the publishers, a situation that screams unfair business practice. So when the best argument one can make for the consoles is that they use the most consumer-unfriendly tactics to stay competitive, feel free to not color me impressed.

Or as a friend put it so aptly: "They dug this hole, now they're lying in it trying to convince me that it's a feature, forgive me if I don't believe them."

Sticky:

Compatriot Block:

All of the woes that you have mentioned is very much a problem of consoles. It's the problem of the publishers and the console makers being in bed with one another. Do you think those publishers like being told that they can only release their game on that one console because it's going to be a launch title and carry the new hardware? Do you think the developers like having to cater to a console and the various gimmicks that have been stuck onto them in order to appear 'different'?

This isn't even getting into the problem of the console makers being in bed with the publishers, a situation that screams unfair business practice. So when the best argument one can make for the consoles is that they use the most consumer-unfriendly tactics to stay competitive, feel free to not color me impressed.

Okay? I never contested any of that, so I'm not sure how to respond.

My point was that if I want to play games like Destiny (unless the rumored PC port turns out to exist), I can only do so on a console. I want to play these games, ergo I will get a console. I am not trying to impress anyone. Actually, I wasn't making any argument at all. Which is why I referred to it as a problem, and not a good thing.

Toadfish1:
(a) that offers only 60% of the performance power of the Ps4,

Toadfish1:
And that ones even more expensive. And still only at 90% equivalence.

I really would love to know where these numbers are coming from, I will take a shot in the dark and guess the nether regions of your posterior.

Toadfish1:
And wow, I had no idea that PC's actually gave you free AAA legal non-F2p games every single month. Because thats the only way you could claim some equivalence between paying the extra cash for a PC and buying Ps+.

Church185:

Raiyan 1.0:
snip

Would both of you be willing to put together a $400 "console killer" for me? I have yet to find anyone on this forum who can prove that it is possible. PCs are no doubt more powerful. but from what I can see, console is still the best at power vs. cost.

Ummm, where did I make any such claim? Reread my post:

Raiyan 1.0:

Lightknight:
Pros of consoles:

1. Cheap.

When you add the cost of an HD TV, HDD extensions, extra charge for online MP, the fact that console games cost $10 more than PC versions and aren't discounted as heavily/frequently as Steam sales, the costs keep adding up.

I didn't even mention $400 anywhere. Gaming being 'cheap' is a fallacy perpetuated by both sides.

So true. My friends are so excited that this generation of consoles is getting so close to being a PC, and I'm dreading it. I don't want to play games on a PC. I cannot figure them out. I tried for over an hour to install Diablo III on my PC when it came out. The screen sat at 0% the entire time, the music played and Cain's video played, but there was no sound. I had no idea how to fix it, so I now have a sixty dollar paper weight. The console version though, I just pop it in and I'm good to go. No installing or anything.
But yes, it sounds like this generation is strangling that. I do want to sit down and play my game right away, not wait for an install or anything like that. So I'm in the boat from the first paragraph I suppose.

the last console i owned was a ps2. i still remember the conversation with a friend who was trying to convince me to get one of the newer consoles he described them, the issues, etc and in the end i sat there and it hit me "so they are mini pc's where you cant do as much, where you use controllers for games, with the odd exculsive title ?" yeah never looked back after that.

as for mucking around with games to get them to work.. i press install on steam, sometimes have to enter a serial number and personalise the controls and thats it.

yahtzee had a comodore 64? oh you were one of "those". all the really cool kids had amstrads with the monitors that displayed things in shades of green !

Xsjadoblayde:
What? I paid 8 for just cause 2 on the 360 last week! I need a better PC. Still, grapple hooking every little buggering thing to a barrel of explosive fuel never loses its charm :)
Faith is lost in consoling now. Apart from nintendo, which most ppl i know still don't seem to understand. Fucktards they are. Ahem

A new multiplayer mod is coming to Steam.....pretty excited for that.

lacktheknack:

FallenMessiah88:
Remember when some people claimed that PC gaming was dead? Turned out they were wrong.

As such, I urge people to not jump to conclusions. Calm down and play nice.

I support this motion.

Consoles could pull a trick out of their sleeve at any time that keeps them relevant, or they'll do what PCs did and just keep on keeping on until they force their way back into the spotlight. Or the next gen might drop back into what made old consoles great.

And if we cannot play nice, then we'll never get true PC/console multiplayer crossover, and me and my friend will be very sad.

Indeed. I think it will require a very seriuos upheaval before we see consoles going away completely.

PC/console multiplayer crossover would be nice. I think it would ease a lot of the tension between console players and PC players.

FallenMessiah88:

lacktheknack:

FallenMessiah88:
Remember when some people claimed that PC gaming was dead? Turned out they were wrong.

As such, I urge people to not jump to conclusions. Calm down and play nice.

I support this motion.

Consoles could pull a trick out of their sleeve at any time that keeps them relevant, or they'll do what PCs did and just keep on keeping on until they force their way back into the spotlight. Or the next gen might drop back into what made old consoles great.

And if we cannot play nice, then we'll never get true PC/console multiplayer crossover, and me and my friend will be very sad.

Indeed. I think it will require a very seriuos upheaval before we see consoles going away completely.

PC/console multiplayer crossover would be nice. I think it would ease a lot of the tension between console players and PC players.

Yes, Mouse & Keyboard players vs Controller users is exactly what we need. Any sort of competitive game apart from turn based would be a disaster.

Strelok:

Toadfish1:
(a) that offers only 60% of the performance power of the Ps4,

Toadfish1:
And that ones even more expensive. And still only at 90% equivalence.

I really would love to know where these numbers are coming from, I will take a shot in the dark and guess the nether regions of your posterior.

Toadfish1:
And wow, I had no idea that PC's actually gave you free AAA legal non-F2p games every single month. Because thats the only way you could claim some equivalence between paying the extra cash for a PC and buying Ps+.

Memes

The claim was that plus is for the online play and online play only. Therefore, the games are not a part of that bargain, and come at no additional cost.

Either its a bargain and discount service that also allows multiplayer on certain games (while leaving other completely free to play online with if the games makers provide the servers) or its an online multiplayer fee that comes with free games. One or the other, neither of which makes it a negative.

Raiyan 1.0:

Lightknight:
Pros of consoles:

1. Cheap.

When you add the cost of an HD TV, HDD extensions, extra charge for online MP, the fact that console games cost $10 more than PC versions and aren't discounted as heavily/frequently as Steam sales, the costs keep adding up.

And yet we're going to ignore the costs of "upgrading" (i.e. overhauling completely) your Pc every 2.5 years. Shocking, that.

Toadfish1:

Raiyan 1.0:

Lightknight:
Pros of consoles:

1. Cheap.

And yet we're going to ignore the costs of "upgrading" (i.e. overhauling completely) your Pc every 2.5 years. Shocking, that.

irronically thanks to the console market once you have a decent pc you hardly need to update anymore as the power needed to run the ports remains pretty static

wombat_of_war:

Toadfish1:

Raiyan 1.0:

irronically thanks to the console market once you have a decent pc you hardly need to update anymore as the power needed to run the ports remains pretty static

Well, I could point out that the nature of consoles means that devs are able to get more power out of them as time goes by meaning that that statement is largely a myth, but instead I could simply state, planned obsolescence? Whats that?

Personally I'm done with console gaming with the possible exception of handhelds. I do quite like my 3DS, and my old fat PSP was quite good when I was hacking about with it for homebrew.

I've had a great number of consoles over the years, the last being a PS3, but I just can't ever see myself buying another, unless they change drastically.

For one thing, the prices are monstrous these days. I can justify a sizable price tag on a computer because as well as doing games, it does *everything* else a computer does. I can't justify another device with a price approaching the computer which is more focused on a single purpose. Even when they branch out to do other things, like they have in the last couple years, the other things they do - movies, music, social site stuff - is only ever a *duplication* of what my computer or other devices already do.

And that's just the console price itself. When you get to the games and their 40-45 price tags (The big budget, AAA PC games are expensive too of course, but steam, gog, etc always do amazing deals...), and the extra subscriptions to do things that I've been doing for free for years on the PC, well then it's just flat out unattractive.

Also, and this is more nerdy, and niche I suppose, but I can't fathom not having access to mods. I bought JC2 on the sale too, and one of the first things I did was get hold of a mod to give me multiple/strong grappling hooks. And then I got the MP mod too. And series like Fallout or the Elder Scrolls are utterly transformed with mods. And the mods and fixes that are out there for the ... more unfortunate ... games that are riddled with bugs, poor performance, etc.

When consoles can justify their price - either by doing truly new things, rather than just poorly imitating stuff I already get, or when they offer an experience that truly rivals what I already have - then I might be interested

Strelok:

To be fair, you do exceed the 50 quid value if you take up all the deals they put out, might not be the best, but its a hell of a lot better than Games with Gold.

I remember games like Spec-Ops: The Line still being 30 quid in stores when it went free on PS+, so while you are paying something, it is a pretty good service that will get your moneys worth.

As for me, I am planning to get a gaming rig, but also have a PS4 (exclusives, playing with friends) a Wii-U (exclusives, interesting things can be done with the tablet controller) and also a 360 (gaming with friends now) I also plan to pick up a cheap PS3 (they will be dirt cheap now) for some exclusives I missed out on.

I am looking forward to gaming on PC, but I will certainly continue gaming on consoles, both can offer me different things (PC isn't getting Kingdom Hearts III and Persona 5 and I would kill for those games) I'm also stoked for Infamous: Second Son.

Buying a good gaming PC is a bigger up front cost but it's a better long term investment. A PS4 is a bit cheaper than an equivalent PC but once you factor in that yearly multiplayer subscription fee and the drastically cheaper prices of games on PC - I regularly see PC digital downloads of multi-console games on sale for half or a quarter of the prices of getting a used copy on a console, plus there's all those super cheap indie bundles and lots of straight up free games - you'll realize that five years down the line that PS4 will have cost you a lot more money. Plus when the next console cycle eventually starts you'll need to drop another $400-600 for the newest console to stay up to date on gaming while a PC will likely be able to be upgraded for half that cost because it's modular and you can reuse a lot of your old components while only upgrading the graphics card and maybe the cpu and motherboard.

And that's not even mentioning how a PC is also a general purpose machine that can do pretty much anything you want, while a PS4 is just for gaming and maybe browsing the internet. Really the only reason I can see to a get a next generation console is for the exclusives. And I'm not knocking anyone that buys it for that reason, I'm primarily a PC gamer but I also own an Xbox 360 and PS3 and most of their exclusives. But if a game comes on on PC too that's the version I buy.

I miss the 90s. Nintendo and Sega were finally figuring out how to make arcade-quality consoles, so porting arcade games was suddenly really easy, which was good because the arcades back then were insanely competitive environments where only the most awesome games survived. Also, the console developers had massive game development muscles at that point from constantly straining against the limitations of consoles, and then they suddenly had arcade-quality consoles to work with. And simultaneously, PC hardware was evolving rapidly, which meant that PC developers now had every reason in the world to make extremely high-end products since it was mostly the extreme high-end consumers who were actually buying PC games at launch, and meanwhile the usual creative scene of PC coding hobbyists had all these new insane tools at their disposal. So it was like this gaming renaissance, I'd be getting all this kickass stuff on consoles and the PC gamers were showing off all the kickass stuff they were getting, everything was so great and it looked like it would only get better and better. Now it's just, fuck. In a way, things are sort of going backwards; all these new MMOs are like the old arcades coming back, PC games went back to the low end with things like Steam and Desura, consoles went back to constantly promising way more than they can actually deliver and hoping no one catches on just like Atari used to, and somehow even Activision went back to being on top with all the other developers imitating them.

EXos:
snip

BF4 runs at 60fps on PS4. Also, the PS4 is constantly recording game footage. Once you press the share button it saves a screenshot and the last 15 minutes of whatever you were doing. If you double tap the share button you can start a new recording and record for longer than 15 minutes. If you are going to debate please stay informed.

Phrozenflame500:
Huh, you're right. That's really weird, wonder how he got that. Anyways, here's a PCpartpicker link for pretty much exactly the same build at 450$.

You, I like you. You'll actually have a civil debate with me.

r/SoftwareSwap has you covered! Not to mention that when SteamOS comes out you'll have a console OS analogue that is completely free.

So, it is possible to get Windows that cheap, but do you really expect normal consumers to go looking there? PCs will never kill off consoles if you have to jump through hoops like that to get a good price. I'll admit that SteamOS looks promising, but I don't know enough about it at this point to make a real judgement on it. If office programs or video editing software isn't compatible with it, I probably won't be using it (neither will normal consumers).

Actually, the PS4 does run Battlefield 4 on mid settings with 60fps... at 900p. Boo. And it really won't need that much money sunk into it, maybe if you want to since a better GPU will be dirt cheap in a couple of years (chalk another one up to PC), but it should easily run games until the end of this gen.

Excuse me if I don't trust Jackfrags eyeballing a prerelease build of the game back in August. I'll try to come up with a more recent comparison, but I seriously doubt it is only medium settings. The build above could run games till the end of the gen, but if you stick with the same parts they won't look nearly as good as the consoles due to poor optimization from the developers. I won't have to put any more money into the PS4 to play games that look decent until the end of the gen.

EDIT: Found a more recent comparison.

EDIT 2: I forgot to bring up the fact that the PS4 is constantly recording game footage in the background. You are going to see a dip in performance if you try to do that on the PC build you listed.

Yahtzee makes excellent points in regards to why a "harcdore gamer" would go PC and hate these new batch of consoles, but anyone that predicting the demise of these consoles is a bit too much in their own world. Same applies to thinking my beloved Nintendo could come up and take the console war this gen.

Marketing matters. M$ has the most aggressive marketing campaign and they aren't focusing on us by a long shot. Teaming up with McDonald's, being the "official console of the NFL" and marketing to anyone that's ever heard the name Call of Duty means that despite it's issues they are luring(lying to) people to get them to buy the system...and it's working really well.

Sony's campaign isn't anywhere near as large, but it's still big. They teamed up with Taco Bell and have a lot of clever, funny commercials that are aimed at "casuals".

Both console makers are basically beating Nintendo at their last gen policy, MARKETING WISE, but that's an effective strategy. PC gaming doesn't have the same hype machine. It doesn't have the same "be everything to your media room" appeal, which is ironic because a proper PC is the best equipped option to be a catch all entertainment center and gaming device.

And poor Nintendo. I know they aren't going to fold anytime soon or stop making consoles like the dolts believe, but a large part of their CURRENT customer base doesn't even know the Wii U is a new system. They have done nothing to market this system which is the last in a long line of reasons why nearly all of their decision makers should be fired. All they had to do was make a system that was backward-compatible so anyone that wanted to keep playing their family Wii games could, but have traditional controllers, be comparative in power to M$ and Sony's new offerings and be easy to program and port for. We don't want half ass gimmickry. My kids leapfrog has newer technology than that tablet. (It does feel good in the hands though) Their catalog, the strong third-party support they would've had, and the money they made last gen gave them all the momentum and they blew it. Just name it Nintendo Entertainment System and they could've crushed it.

But I digress. PC gaming is back in a big way, but it will not eliminate this gen of consoles nor seriously eat into their profits. They might do it themselves, though...but that's another discussion.

Raiyan 1.0:
snip

I was actually quoting the other guy with the "console killer" bit, but the challenge still stands. I see a lot of people preaching how much better PC is than consoles, and implying that consoles are irrelevant. Those same people never seem to mention the cost of building a PC that could beat the new consoles. To me, this is the reason I think PC gaming won't become top dog outside of gaming enthusiasts. Once PCs are cheaper AND more powerful I will certainly declare consoles dead. Until then, there will always be a market for it.

Raiyan 1.0:

Lightknight:
Pros of consoles:

1. Cheap.

I'd have my TV regardless. Most people have a TV.

Preowned games generally come in pretty cheaply but I certainly love my Steam account and will make no claims that I don't get my steam titles cheaper.

But this is generally a problem with how games are sold and not the consoles as machines. When steam present more competition, they'll have to adjust that area of the product. So it's not like this won't change when it needs to.

2. Plug and play. (minimal/no troubleshooting, just have to plug things in)

The flip side being that if something even minute goes wrong, you've to drag it to the store instead of being able to just look up for a fix on the 'net. And if the developer of a game fails to patch a bug (Fez, anything Bethesda on the PS3), then God help you, because there's no community-made mod to sort things out. Not to mention in general games and updates take much longer to DL and install than on a PC (XBL is much slower than Steam).

Well, yes. But even the 360 only had a 24% failure rate and they were the absolute worst of the generation. The ps3 was only around 10% which is pretty good for such complicated hardware.

PCs can have a much higher failure rate and keep in mind that just because you and I can fix our PCs doesn't mean average Joe USA can. Sure, I built my first pc from scratch and it turned on the moment I hit he button, but the average user? Let me put it this way. Skyrim on the ps3 was the final step in me building my own machine. I'd always been a pc gamer in addition to console gaming but the ps3 outstripped a lot of pc gaming for a good while there. Well, the game was broken on the ps3 (and as a software tester, I accurately guessed that it was an asset bloating issue within about two days of the release and stated so publically as assets were not resetting in game. Not even dungeons). So, I built my pc over the next couple of months from good deals and was playing Skyrim on a real machine. However, at some point my video driver required an update. This update broke the game for me, creating a world with a purple sky and purple stones on the street with no texture.

I personally just rolled back the update and it worked. But then again, I am an application tech support specialist and QA engineer. What would the average person do? What if they'd performed the driver update before the game and had no way of tracking down what change they recently made that may have caused it? To say that a PC isn't significantly less reliable in that area would be mistaken. How many threads have you seen on the internet where people just want to know whether or not their pc can play a given game?

3. Generally gauranteed support for nearly a decade at this point.

But once the generation is over and the console is bricked, say goodbye to all your online purchases. Not to mention having to rebuy old games as ports on a new platform as well if you want to play them again.

That's not necessarily a given now that consoles are x86. Their excuse next generation would have to be something along the lines of magic grimlins are preventing the transfer. At least from the insanely proprietary ps3 to the x86 ps4 there's an excuse due to the extreme differences in the architecture. Make no mistake, Sony could have made another console with the same proprietary hardware that played these games but they'd have another generation of shitty ports and more expensive development costs. They made the necessary decision here and we should see the benefits of that going forward as one of the first times a console has almost guaranteed backwards compatibility if they allow it. The XBO not being able to play 360 games is a lot more questionable to me though.

Community-made patches/emulators have kept 20 year old PC games alive, and ironically, almost every single console games up to the Wii through emulation.

Yes, the ability to pirate (illegally obtain games) is more present on the PC. Something I don't advocate or condone. I also pay for artwork and hotdogs when the mood strikes me.

4. Excellent living room group fun. (PCs still lag behind in multiple controllers)

Except for console developers have been steadily dropping local multiplayer support for a while now. About the ony ones that still bother are fighting games, which PC versions have as well.

Huh? A ton of games generally allow at least two players during the story mode and I play multiplayer games all the time. For example, Black Ops introduced legitimate bots into local multiplayer. I get a group of four or five people to come over and we can play locally with ten players or so and it's a lot of fun. Games like Portal 2, Halo 1-4, and even Dead Space titles have easily catered to multiplayer.

You're very wrong here. Even adding one more controller for the story mode on a pc can require a herculean feat of computer management. This is absolutely one of the biggest strengths for home consoles at the moment.

5. Software optimization thanks to known/standardised hardware (the reason a 512Mb console can function like a 2Gb pc).

... while providing lower resolutions, FOV, framerate and online MP player count. As for the XBoxOne, the Windows bloat has been transferred to this generation, with about 20% of HDD space being taken up by the OS and half the cores dedicated to apps running in the background.

20% of HDD has nothing to do with performance. I'm talking about the general strength of consoles as consoles. Not specific consoles. Besides, the ps4 as a machine is clearly the winner this generation for more power, higher resolutions, and lower costs.

It's one thing to complain about frame rates, it's another thing to really be impacted by them in practice. I'm not a graphiophile and I don't make my PC output to my TV. My pc outputs to a much smaller screen where resolution honestly doesn't matter that much. Is this really something people forget? That a pc monitor is usually under 30" whereas a console "monitor" can easily be a 60" beast of a machine that itself has a low refresh rate? This is also the first wave of games for the generation, we're likely to see that improved going forward. Many ps4 games are perfectly capable the higher resolutions and the XBO should be unless there comes some other problem.

Either way, the standardized hardware allows developers to program so efficiently for a console that they can get the most out of every component. This is why the actual console specs can even be four times less than the pc minimum specs for games and yet both still function around the same. That's what's going on now anyways.

6. Relatively low piracy, this is a plus for game publishers.

Relatively high used sale games, which publishers wouldn't shut up about. Plus, with brick and mortar stores and the platform owners taking a hefty cut, revenue from each console game sold is actually lower than a digital PC sale.

Yes. But the PC environment is significantly worse where money doesn't have to exchange hands at all. At least consoles generally promise an initial sale and the online stores for the console avoid preowned as well. Take Crysis for example, their game was SOOO pirated that the company decided to never release a pc exclusive again.

Consoles have enough advantages to maintain their life expectancy.

The best advantages consoles have are momentum, market visibility and customer loyalty. And even that can change drastically. Compare Wii and WiiU sales.

That's certainly an advantage. But the idea that you can spend $400 for a 10-year, plug and play, heavily developed for, multiplayer system plays a tremendous role here. The fact that Sony holds something like 6 exclusives that were my favorite exclusives of the past generation helps them in my book too (The Last of Us, Infamous 1 and 2, Uncharted 2 and 3, Demons souls, Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid, Journey. Most of the remaining favorite titles were multiplatform though there were some significant indie games that have stuck with me but those have also gone the way of multiplatform (Bastion, Limbo, Minecraft). I haven't even tried Killzone or Heavy Rain yet but do have them on my shelf. I've got a 360 too but have used it almost exclusively as a Kinect party system. I really like fruit Ninja on that. But Halo 3 was terrible to me and Halo 4 is on my shortlist. I have trouble getting into the Gears of War series so I just don't know why I'd get an XBO any time soon. Especially not with TitanFall coming out on both the pc and the 360.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here