Squid Coyote: "GamerGate Thoughts: Of The People"

Pages PREV 1 2

Diablo1099:

Netscape:
Are you being serious right now? What in the world makes you think that GG people are opposed to diversity in games?

Mate, it's been like 3 years now.

I understand you are passionate about GG but if you honestly at this stage still unable to figure out why exactly people perceive GG the way that they do, then I really question how much you really know about GamerGate as a whole.

Or what people keep trying to portray GG as despite all evidence to the contrary.

Anyway, no. GG had no real impact on the election at all. That said, the REACTION to GG showed that this election was probably not going to go the way Hillary wanted.

Rather than accept any real discussion or debate, entire groups of people just got painted with a big ol' brush as Misogynists or Racists, and told to fuck off. Instead people got mad, and started sniffing around, and basically dug up a LOT of rot and decay.

With Hillary, entire groups of people just got painted with a big ol' brush as Misogynists or Racists, and the end result had them either staying home or voting for someone else out of disgust. (Voted for Stein by the way.) The end result Had Hillary losing states that had voted Democrat for 28 years.

And now, rather than try and learn anything, far too many Liberals just double down and claim that the reason Hillary lost was because of Sexist Racists (Racists who, despite being able to stop Hillary, were somehow unable to Stop a black man with the name Barack Hussein Obama from getting elected) or tossing out conspiracy theories and hoping something sticks.

Swear to god, the last three years have done more to help me understand why Conservatives look at Liberals the way that they do than living in Alabama for over 10 years has ever done. Makes me want to find what's left of the sane Tea partiers and buy them a beer.

Netscape:

Discussion Questions
* What are your thoughts on Squid Coyote's video?

Kinda rambling, could use a script.

* Do you agree with Squid Coyote that GamerGate played a role in Donald Trump becoming elected, even if indirectly?

Eh. If anything GamerGate was kind of a testing ground for the same kinds of practices certain media personalities used to mobilize support for Trump. I mean, it does seem a bit odd that Milo Yiannopolous, a """journalist""" for the neofascist """news site""" Breitbart was one of the earliest prominent supporters of GamerGate and one of the earliest cheerleaders for Trump. But it could have been anything.

* Do you agree with Squid Coyote that GamerGate began because of both the Gamers Are Dead articles and censorship of discussion about the Quinnspiracy controversy?

Absolutely. The Gamers are Dead rhetoric was the worst thing the gaming press could have done at that point. They went and threw their own target audience under a bus. What did they think would happen?

* Do you agree with Squid Coyote that there is enough evidence to show that there were legitimate ethical concerns in the Quinnspiracy controversy?

Not really. Quinn and Grayson probably did have an affair but it turned out that this didn't result in more positive coverage for her game and that's that. If he had actually reviewed her game positively they would have had a case but there was just nothing to go on.

* Was the supposed "mass censorship" of GamerGate, a mistake on the part of those opposed to the movement? Did it have a streisand effect?

Yes and yes. If they have nothing to hide they shouldn't act like they're trying to cover something up. It would have fizzled after a few days because everyone would have realized that there's just nothing to it.

* Do you believe that the media and/or social justice community were quick to label any of their detractors as "GamerGate supporters," which caused the movement to grow larger and larger as time went on?

I dunno. I will blame Anita Sarkeesian cracking a bunch of stupid jokes about GamerGate on the Colbert Report for putting GamerGate into the eyes of the public but otherwise? No, not really.

* Do you believe that if the media and/or social justice community condemned the individuals in the Burgers & Fries chat log, but focused on actual reform and worked alongside actual GamerGate people (most of whom didn't know or care about the B&F people), that things would have died down pretty quick?

Yes, sure, there are a lot of legitimate grievances with the state of gaming journalism and the general relationship between publishers, developers and journalists. Rolling your eyes at everyone bringing it up and going "Huhuhu, ethics in gaming journalism, amirite?" is just gonna piss people off and make you seem like a complete twat.

* Do you believe that the media and/or social justice community were quick to call GamerGate supporters right-wing, even though they weren't, which ended up pushing liberal leaning people away from traditional liberal communities and possibly even some ideals?

Good question. Very much a hen and egg kind of thing. On one hand: A lot of far right ideologues latched onto GamerGate fairly quickly (Yiannopolous, Hoff-Sommers, InternetAristocrat, Sargon of Akkad etc.) and obviously used it as a means to push their own agenda and the media was absolutely right in calling them out. On the other hand they were too quick to associate GamerGate as a whole with right wing politics. Then, on the other hand, GamerGate didn't make nearly enough of an effort to portray themselves as apolitical. Again, it's difficult.

* Do you believe that it was impossible for anti-GamerGate people to truly win, because pushing GamerGate people outside of their social circles didn't prevent those people from forming communities of their own?

Honestly, the only winning move for them would have been not to play. What I am gonna say is, the more they rallied in opposition to GamerGate, the more GamerGate was convinced that they're just rallying to protect their own interests, making them look more corrupt.

* Do you agree with Squid Coyote that the "alt-right" doesn't really exist and it's just a "meme"?

I think the thing about the Alt Right is that everyone who's part of it vehemently denies being part of it. There is certainly a loosely defined movement of right wing extremists, I like to refer to them neofascists but they get all offended when I do. I'd include the kind of ultranationalist, xenophobic yet ultracapitalist ideology espoused by people like Trump, Europes far right parties like Front Nationale, the Alternative for Germany, probably UKIP, maybe Putin and Erdogan and certainly media outlets like Breitbart and Infowars.

* Do you believe that (at least part of) the reason that those opposed to GamerGate, Brexit and Trump failed, is because they focused on insulting their opponents, instead of engaging in discussion and arguing for their ideals?

I think it's because they failed to provide viable alternatives to them that didn't just amount to "Let's just go on as usual and pretend everything's alright." At least GamerGate, Brexit and Trump provided solutions. Sure, they are the wrong solutions and chances are they aren't gonna work but a solution that doesn't work is still gonna be more popular than just telling everyone to overlook the problem.

* Do you agree with Squid Coyote that Hillary Clinton was the "ultimate social justice candidate," or at least was propped up as such?

Bullshit. Hillary Clinton was hardly even a liberal, much less "the ultimate social justice candidate". She's a center right conservative by most everyones standards and the reason she failed was because she didn't manage to convince most people that she isn't. As much as I detest Trump I can't say im sad that Clinton failed.

* Do you agree with Squid Coyote that this election was a referendum on social justice and that it proves that social justice is disconnected from the people?

No, quite the opposite. I think it proves how important social justice still is to America. Of course it also shows how issues like poverty and the struggles of the working class shouldn't be ignored but those aren't mutually exclusive and in fact I think they go together pretty well.

* Do you agree with Squid Coyote that liberal-leaning GamerGate people need to expose social justice as a detriment to the Democratic Party?

No, in fact I don't think GamerGaters shouldn't speak out on political issues at all, not as GamerGaters anyway. What made Gamergate for me, as someone who really only supported it because of I felt gaming journalism had a lot of issues that needed to be adressed, impossible to support was the feeling that they have become too political.

I know those Gamer-Gate guys became the Alt-right since I use to be one, I see them sometimes on twitter ranting about Muslims/LGBTQ+/Hispanics/"mainstream-media".

As for having an impact on the election I saw Breitbart having a 18% approval ranting, and a 60% disapproval rating, so those are people who support the Alt-right or tolerate it. I doubt it affected the election as it came down to three states: Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

Edit: Use to be from Gamer-gate not Alt-right.

Gergar12:
I know those Gamer-Gate guys became the Alt-right since I use to be one, I see them sometimes on twitter ranting about Muslims/LGBTQ+/Hispanics/"mainstream-media".

As for having an impact on the election I saw Breitbart having a 18% approval ranting, and a 60% disapproval rating, so those are people who support the Alt-right or tolerate it. I doubt it affected the election as it came down to three states: Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

Edit: Use to be from Gamer-gate not Alt-right.

The alt right makes a very convenient argument, bit odds are trump won because jobs. Jobs aren't as good anymore and people blame free trade*, so donald trumps America is should be an island played well.

*So people blame trade and the loss of manufacturing for the bad jobs, but it is really the lack of unions. In the south they had manufacturing too, but they didn't have the same golden age where you could raise a family on your pay because they didn't have unions. Manufacturing without unions is just as bad as every other job.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here