Three Definitions of GamerGate

Pages PREV 1 2 3

maninahat:

Then again, I could just say what I think it actually is: It's a cobbled together conspiracy theory that is used to excuse the bullying journalists and random women, that has sadly swept up lots of well meaning people who are genuinely convinced by said theory and think they can work to improve the industry.

That's a shame. Other than the oft-repeated, yet to be actually substantiated claim that it was "initiated" by a "harassment campaign", I didn't really have any significant objections to your first definition.

Ogoid:

maninahat:

Then again, I could just say what I think it actually is: It's a cobbled together conspiracy theory that is used to excuse the bullying journalists and random women, that has sadly swept up lots of well meaning people who are genuinely convinced by said theory and think they can work to improve the industry.

That's a shame. Other than the oft-repeated, yet to be actually substantiated claim that it was "initiated" by a "harassment campaign", I didn't really have any significant objections to your first definition.

"The way I see it, these days there's a gamergate right? And, ages ago, there wasn't a gamergate, right? So, there must have been a moment when there not being a gamergate went away, right? And then a gamergate came along. So, what I want to know is: How did we get from the one case of affairs to the other case of affairs?"

I mean, I was paying attention when gamergate first cropped up. One week, people were saying this Quinn character was a bad egg and that the various forums on the internet were "censoring" the discussion about her or avoiding talking about her in gaming news. The next week, there is this big theory that gaming media is a corrupt cabal and needs a -gate suffix on it. I remember at the time being one of the people pointing out that it isn't the media's job to remonstrate women over their private sex lives, nor repeat unsupported allegations of sex for reviews, nor provide a space for people to openly discuss how to punish her, but some people had already got it in their heads that the media was squashing the story for some other, nefarious reason.

maninahat:

I mean, I was paying attention when gamergate first cropped up. One week, people were saying this Quinn character was a bad egg and that the various forums on the internet were "censoring" the discussion about her or avoiding talking about her in gaming news. The next week, there is this big theory that gaming media is a corrupt cabal and needs a -gate suffix on it. I remember at the time being one of the people pointing out that it isn't the media's job to remonstrate women over their private sex lives, nor repeat unsupported allegations of sex for reviews, nor provide a space for people to openly discuss how to punish her, but some people had already got it in their heads that the media was squashing the story for some other, nefarious reason.

I, one the other hand, was not paying much attention to the piddly little minor league that Ms. Quinn was operating in at the time. Rather, I heard that some eevil gamers hated Derpression Quest because they "couldn't handle" how deep it was, maan. Which sounded a little off to me, but there was all this other GamerHate to deal with (I was a regular reader of rapidly radicalizing sites like Polygon at the time), so I just shook my head in incomprehension and moved on. And then, of course, August 28th hit, with the naked, frothing assault of "Gamers Are Dead!". It was nuts, I tried to hang in there a while and tell the crazed anti-gamer shitslingers to calm the fuck down, so as not to have a real Culture War in all our hands. But turns out that's exactly what they were determined to have. So I chose a side and got the hell out of that poison bubble.

As for Quinn, well, she is a very toxic individual indeed, but surely people weren't expecting the press to "punish her" for all the crap they were themselves complicit in. But they should have stopped relentlessly pushing her as some kind of moral figurehead for the "indie revolution" once her unsuitability for such a role was established. Instead, they doubled down, because that was the role she was being groomed for. We could rehearse the list of her actions yet again if you'd like (and no, there's nothing "unsupported" about the allegations of Nathan Grayson "briefly dating" her at the same exact time he was giving her favourable coverage, as all parties admit it happened), but really it is about the sheer, brazen shilling that went on for this person just because she was the leading socialite of teh Scene. Oh, and 4 Great Justice, apparently.

Of course, you never, ever hear Ol' Nate's name in connection to the whole affair in the media, nor that of any other "journo" bro.They just keep throwing these women out there to distract from the scent of their mess, while they lay low and snipe from the sidelines. It's the Progressive thing for an "ally" to do, after all. Imagine that, the shame would probably be crushing for a normal person, but this particular species of weasel appears to have adapted to thrive on abject degradation.

maninahat:
snipped for space

...Yeah, I hope you'll forgive my ignorance, but that reference is completely lost on me.

Funny thing is, as it turned out there was, in actual fact, behind-the-scenes collusion to protect a personal friend of at least one gaming journalist; call it a "conspiracy" if you must, that doesn't sit well with me at all.

Ogoid:
Funny thing is, as it turned out there was, in actual fact, behind-the-scenes collusion to protect a personal friend of at least one gaming journalist; call it a "conspiracy" if you must, that doesn't sit well with me at all.

It's Tech Raptor so Imma take that with a grain of salt while I Google-Fu it later.

BeetleManiac:
It's Tech Raptor so Imma take that with a grain of salt while I Google-Fu it later.

I trust TechRaptor because of the fact they're outside the mainstream bubble.

Then again, I also trust One Angry Gamer, the site run by the whistleblower that exposed "GameJournoPros", so you probably already think of me as an irredeemable sexist.

Ogoid:

I have no idea what this is, but it looks like an email from a couple of guys discussing whether Quinn's situation is news worthy. Shucks, what a terrible breach of journalistic standards! I was of the opinion journalists weren't allowed to ever have conversations.

American Tanker:

Then again, I also trust One Angry Gamer, the site run by the whistleblower that exposed "GameJournoPros", so you probably already think of me as an irredeemable sexist.

Don't run if you're not being chased.

Ogoid:

maninahat:

Wasn't Gamergate coined by Adam Baldwin, when directly referring to the Quinnspiricy?

If the Quinnspiriciy was a harassment campaign (which is was), and it spawned Gamergate, regardless of it's initial intention the statement that GG was started by a harassment campaign would be factually true.

StatusNil:

maninahat:

I, one the other hand, was not paying much attention to the piddly little minor league that Ms. Quinn was operating in at the time. Rather, I heard that some eevil gamers hated Derpression Quest because they "couldn't handle" how deep it was, maan.

Are you so wrapped up in your identity as a "gamer" that this would even matter to you? How many people were saying this? Can you provide some examples?

Which sounded a little off to me, but there was all this other GamerHate to deal with (I was a regular reader of rapidly radicalizing sites like Polygon at the time), so I just shook my head in incomprehension and moved on. And then, of course, August 28th hit, with the naked, frothing assault of "Gamers Are Dead!". It was nuts, I tried to hang in there a while and tell the crazed anti-gamer shitslingers to calm the fuck down, so as not to have a real Culture War in all our hands. But turns out that's exactly what they were determined to have. So I chose a side and got the hell out of that poison bubble.

The "gamers are dead" articles were correct. Even the Leigh Alexander one. What do you think they got wrong?

As for Quinn, well, she is a very toxic individual indeed, but surely people weren't expecting the press to "punish her" for all the crap they were themselves complicit in. But they should have stopped relentlessly pushing her as some kind of moral figurehead for the "indie revolution" once her unsuitability for such a role was established. Instead, they doubled down, because that was the role she was being groomed for.

What was the press "complicit in?" Who pushed her as some kind of "moral figurehead?" Again, can you show some examples? When did they double down? Who was grooming her for what role?

We could rehearse the list of her actions yet again if you'd like

Yes lets. This is a thread about "defining gamergate." And as gamergate was coined by someone talking about what Quinn allegedly did, this is the perfect place for you to list her alleged actions.

(and no, there's nothing "unsupported" about the allegations of Nathan Grayson "briefly dating" her at the same exact time he was giving her favourable coverage, as all parties admit it happened),

Give me a fucking break. No one disputes Grayson and Quinn had a relationship. People dispute that this relationship fucking mattered. Grayson never reviewed her game. "Favourable coverage" consisted of a couple of sentences about A FREE GAME. You do yourself no favours by continuing to treat this absolutely NOTHING event as if it was important. It was not.

but really it is about the sheer, brazen shilling that went on for this person just because she was the leading socialite of teh Scene. Oh, and 4 Great Justice, apparently.

What really happened was people started saying "why are people getting angry at Zoe Quinn?"

And to this day gamergaters have not been able to come up with a decent answer. And I don't expect one from you.

Of course, you never, ever hear Ol' Nate's name in connection to the whole affair in the media, nor that of any other "journo" bro.They just keep throwing these women out there to distract from the scent of their mess, while they lay low and snipe from the sidelines. It's the Progressive thing for an "ally" to do, after all. Imagine that, the shame would probably be crushing for a normal person, but this particular species of weasel appears to have adapted to thrive on abject degradation.

What a load of TOSH. Gamergaters were the ones who were championing "ethics in games journalism." Zoe Quinn wasn't a journalist. So why did Gamergate keep bringing her up? Why are you talking about her?

StatusNil:

Of course, you never, ever hear Ol' Nate's name in connection to the whole affair in the media, nor that of any other "journo" bro.They just keep throwing these women out there to distract from the scent of their mess, while they lay low and snipe from the sidelines.

It's pretty rich that you're complaining about how the other side constantly brings up Zoe Quinn considering you posted this a couple weeks ago in a thread that literally had NOTHING to do with her or GamerGate:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.948352-Controversial-YouTuber-JonTrons-Yooka-Laylee-Cameo-Removed?page=6#23938136

But please, tell me again how it's not about Zoe Quinn.

Exley97:

StatusNil:

Of course, you never, ever hear Ol' Nate's name in connection to the whole affair in the media, nor that of any other "journo" bro.They just keep throwing these women out there to distract from the scent of their mess, while they lay low and snipe from the sidelines.

It's pretty rich that you're complaining about how the other side constantly brings up Zoe Quinn considering you posted this a couple weeks ago in a thread that literally had NOTHING to do with her or GamerGate:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.948352-Controversial-YouTuber-JonTrons-Yooka-Laylee-Cameo-Removed?page=6#23938136

Aaaand here's Exley, right on cue to demonstrate my exact point.

Me: "Notice you never hear about Nathan Grayson when the media discusses 'GamerGate'?"

Exley: "ZOE QUINN! You took her name in vain, 17 days ago! The name 'Zoe Quinn'! That's Zoe Quinn's name!"

Thanks, buddy. And just to be clear, I mentioned this celebrity everyone knows in context to communicate my degree of familiarity with JonTron. To wit, I had never heard of the fellow until very recently outside of the Edge Magazine article about that Pepsi "game jam" the celebrity in question sabotaged to some merriment. Reviewing the events later, I discovered that at the time, she was loudly complaining about being teamed up with "a piece of shit" like JonTron, or some such high-brow criticism. Hence the reference.

I mean, geez. People mention celebrities all the time. I wasn't aware someone was counting the days when I do it.

American Tanker:

So am I, I'm not a news outlet at all in fact. Do you trust me too? I have a highly impartial cat if you'd like a second opinion. (Read this as: that's not a good reason to trust someone - you trust people/organisations because you believe they are trustworthy, which is not usually based on 'well, they aren't the other guy').

StatusNil:

Exley97:

StatusNil:

Me: "Notice you never hear about Nathan Grayson when the media discusses 'GamerGate'?"

Did you notice the big event that started gamergate? Was it the "Nathan Post?"

No it fucking wasn't.

It was the Zoe Post. In case you had forgotten, here it is here.

https://thezoepost.wordpress.com/

The barely coherent ramblings of a person who had a bad break up and decided to share his story with the world. The media doesn't discuss Nathan Grayson (much) because he wasn't the original target, and because he only received a fraction of the abuse and harassment that Zoe Quinn received. Gamergate elevated Zoe Quinn. Gamergate kept talking about her, kept harassing and abusing her, and gamergate were responsible for keeping her "in the news." And here you are, doing it again, pretending that you are not.

Netscape:

* How would you define GamerGate?

* Do you believe the first definition from Wikipedia is accurate? Is it biased?

* Do you believe the second definition from Encyclopedia Dramatica is accurate? Is it biased?

* Do you believe the third definition from Infogalactic is accurate? Is it biased?

* Do you believe that these three definitions are incompatible with each other?

* Why do you think three different people have come up with three different definitions of GamerGate?

- A bunch of people coming together to make a stand against what's wrong with video game journalism, only to find out they have widely different idead about what it is that's wrong with video game journalism. Or rather, they all had the same idea, that being "those people I don't like", it's just that it took them some time figure out they aren't referring to the same people.

- Not really but of those three it's the closest. Obviously it biased. The idea that GamerGate was, at its core, a harassment campaign is, in my humble opinion, incorrect. A lot of harassment was done by people considering themselves part of GamerGate but that was never the point of the movement, it was a side effect.

- No, it's not. Zoe Quinn's "seedy antics" didn't expose shit. She had affairs with a bunch of people which doesn't shine a great light on her as a person but there was no conspiracy (or, indeed, a quinnspiracy) attached to it. People accused her of dating a journalist to get positive coverage from his publication. Turned out she didn't get positive coverage from his publication. And that's that. Even a lot of GamerGaters understood that there was no point to getting hung up on Zoe Quinn, which is why they, being a bunch of manchildren, started demonstratively referring to her as "Literally Who" a week later.

- No. See above. It brings up some valid points but still misses the mark by a mile. There's corruption in gaming journalism but it's not a political thing, it's a capitalism thing.

- They're compatible, sure, but they still don't describe it accurately.

- Because those three different people come from three different communities with three different perspectives on GamerGate, neither of them that of an unbiased outsider.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here