Activision CEO Says He Would Raise Prices Even Higher

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I can't believe I'm saying this but... I like EA more than Activision.

Oh yeah in case you didn't pay attention the whole 3 seperate campaign thing for SC2 is actually a ploy to get $50 per campaign from you, not to actually make the game better. Blizz has already fallen under this (insert expletive here) guy's spell.

CantFaketheFunk:

Jumplion:

AceDiamond:

Jumplion:

jamesworkshop:
why wouldn't he or any other business not want to sell their product for as much as they can

There's a difference between selling a product for a sensible price and selling a product by price-gauging.

Hey, he wants to "make some damn money"

I said change it to "needs" some damn money, damnit! But regardless, at least we know that Sony is trying to lower the price. I can't say that this isn't a common thing with many business, raising prices and such, but the insane hypocrisy that is this Kotick guy is what really tosses this over the edge.

Hm. I don't know if I'd call it hypocrisy, per se.

His argument was that Sony needs to lower the cost on the PS3 not out of principle, but because people aren't as willing to pay the higher cost, so it isn't selling as well as it might be. If the PS3 were selling as well as its peers despite the higher price tag, they probably wouldn't be calling for a price cut since there'd be no evidence for it.

In that line of thought, if they raise the price of games $10 or so, and find that it severely impacts sales, then they'll probably lower them again, since they'd have empirical evidence that people weren't willing to pay the higher cost. On the other hand, if they raise the price but sales stay about the same, then they'll have realized that the new price is still within peoples' acceptable margins for how much a game should cost.

It's definitely a bit of a dick move to pull, no question about that. I just don't think it's necessarily a hypocritical one.

Well that is a good point really. Didn't Nintendo get sued back in the N64 era for price gouging by the way? I think he could probably squeeze an extra five pounds out of us and we'd still buy. To be honest if it's this bad, I hate to see what happens with Modern Warfare 3

P.S. I call a vote for Mr Funk to have his avatar as the picture from his A View From The Road series. I have to admit it looks so cool that I have to sit down and rethink my life as to how I can match that level of coolness.

FloodOne:
The best solution is to talk with your wallet.

Bitching, pissing and moaning on the internet won't change a damn thing. Not spending your money on their products will.

I wasn't going to buy MW2 anyways, and I refuse to spend money on GH anymore so I'm pretty much free from Acti/Blizz and their tyranny.

Today is the day EA is no longer demonized (as much), mark my words.

This is a forum. Bitching, pissing and moaning is what we do here. I would need a boycott group 500 thousand strong before I even think of not buying this game, because as it stands it makes no difference whether I buy this or not, the game is still going to sell an unholy amount.

Wow. Now I sort of feel bad for buying COD4 the first time round and supporting this douche bag's hideous pile of cash. I'd heard about the price hikes for the game and wasn't planning on buying it for a while anyway, but now I'm just not sure if I'll ever buy it at all. Thankfully, I don't play WoW or Guitar Hero and wasn't planning on getting SC2 (especially not if they charge $50 PER CAMPAIGN), so it doesn't affect me too much. That is still doing nothing to assuage the image the consumer has of the evil, scheming, dollar devouring, defrauding the public CEO. Hooray to him for doing his own part in continuing the economic crisis.

Seriously though, it takes a lot to make me think that a game company is more evil than EA, but seriously, after this, I'd have to say that's the case unless someone finds footage of the EA CEO doing the same thing. At least to my knowledge, EA has a vague pretense of caring about the people they fleece lol.

If the prices are raised o.o...

Its on bitch -.-..

so... this is the dick-face who wants sony to lower the costs of the PS3, but wants to raise the prices on the games?!?!? "pants-on-head retarded"

Crazyshak48:

Seriously though, it takes a lot to make me think that a game company is more evil than EA, but seriously, after this, I'd have to say that's the case unless someone finds footage of the EA CEO doing the same thing. At least to my knowledge, EA has a vague pretense of caring about the people they fleece lol.

EA has been well behaved recently, especially compared to this.

Keane Ng:
Le Snip

Is this what you thought up, sorta? But with more people? And more cartoony? That's what I thought of when you said that...
Fucking Fat Cat douchebag...

The_root_of_all_evil:
I believe this would be best illustrated by illustration.

Gentlemen, we have a smiling photo to deface, don't you think?

Simple, crude, but effective.

For some reason, when looking at that picture, the phrase, "Would you kindly...?" comes to mind.

Anybody know a good T-shirt designer?

As a business student i say fuck off
As a dedicate gamer i say fuck off
As a human being i say fuck off

Gentlemen are we looking at the new face of evil!!!!!?!?!?!?!!

Perhaps if said executives' salaries took a hit instead of game prices going up, I might just believe in corporate honesty again...

The_root_of_all_evil:

The problem is, gamers on a whole will bitch about the price, all the while standing in line for Activision's next Guitar Hero or Prototype or Call of Duty or whatever. We will bitch and moan, but we don't have the balls to actually *not* buy their product. The only thing that will lower the prices is actually cutting his supply of people willing to support his practices.

Except people will always find a way to justify their boycott "I'll not buy any Activision game anymore...except for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. But no more! Unless they announce Call of Duty 5..." etc. etc. We're suckers with no spine, and Kotick is taking advantage of it because he can. The question is: What are YOU going to do about it?

Well, how else is he going to pay for the industrial sized machine for removing his foot from so far inside his mouth?

fix-the-spade:
The man is clearly Tony Blair's long lost brother.

Never mind the greedy backstabbing lieing bit, he's even got the same smile!

Where's the wife with the scary smile and awful disregard for ... anything, heh.

Sony later commended him for making a stupid business statement as he got out of his COD milking mobile.

OT: Jesus, Someone already called trachea, I call ribcage.

I can just see this sort of attitute being the loooong slippery slope to Activisions own console: the Activation. Price as a meagre $50, all Activision games for the console cost $300 and upwards (more for premium titles)

Gaderael:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Ask and Ye Shall Receive

Oooh, best so far :)

ChromeAlchemist:
This is a forum. Bitching, pissing and moaning is what we do here. I would need a boycott group 500 thousand strong before I even think of not buying this game, because as it stands it makes no difference whether I buy this or not, the game is still going to sell an unholy amount.

And that is the problem. Unless 500,000 people refuse to buy the game, you won't either?

If I may use a quote...

It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime, what better place than here, what better time than now? -Zach De La Rocha

Lord_Jaroh:
The problem is, gamers on a whole will bitch about the price, all the while standing in line for Activision's next Guitar Hero or Prototype or Call of Duty or whatever. We will bitch and moan, but we don't have the balls to actually *not* buy their product. The only thing that will lower the prices is actually cutting his supply of people willing to support his practices.

Except people will always find a way to justify their boycott "I'll not buy any Activision game anymore...except for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. But no more! Unless they announce Call of Duty 5..." etc. etc. We're suckers with no spine, and Kotick is taking advantage of it because he can. The question is: What are YOU going to do about it?

I'm going to do what has to be done. I'm not going to purchase games with the big fat Activision logo on them.

If games cost more than $70 then i'm done playing.

Well, that settles it. I was probably one of the most hardcore fans of MW1, but I won't be buying MW2 until Activision smartens the fuck up. They just want money, it's the only reason they bought Blizzard anyway.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Gaderael:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Ask and Ye Shall Receive

Why thank you good sir.

FloodOne:

ChromeAlchemist:

And that is the problem. Unless 500,000 people refuse to buy the game, you won't either?

Yes.

It's like vegetarianism to prove a point. Why bother when everyone else is going to eat it regardless? I would like some proof that others are banding up to prove a point, and I'm too lazy to do it myself in response to your quote.

Until then, I'm probably going to buy it (though not at release because the c*nts denied PC owners NVGs and a Prestige edition, so this might be moot).

Lord_Jaroh:

I say buy only from trusted people. I never bought the Call of Duty series and any of their other franchises. I only go with Ubisoft and the like.

And if I can't even trust them, I IMPORT BABY! :D They don't get the money, I get my game, everyone wins.

joystickjunki3:
Dude's crazy. I can deal w/ that, as long as I don't have to pay out the ass for SC2.

There probably came a point when Blizzard said they could release a single Starcraft 2, with less content, which would probably be received better but make less money. This demon* saw the content that could be released, and pushed Blizz to do the trilogy angle instead. Which would rack in more money, bleeding gamers for more than they probably should be bled. It's just a random thought.
Many times blurbs like this just come out, and quite a few times they come around to biting the blurber(ya, I made it up, but sounds good with this guy in mind) in the ass. I wouldn't be surprised if he has started to make the board of Activision and its shareholders nervous. True he is making them money now, but not everybody is blind to when the flow of money stops due to one stupid mistake that is repeated. Pissing off Sony with his jibe at consoles needing to be cheaper may just be the start of his downfall.
Sorry, joystickjunki3, but since I am betting SC2 is going to be good, you are going to pay out the bum for it, all three episodes of it, and this guy is gonna make his share.

*: as per

HardRockSamurai:
An Activision CEO wishing he could raises prices higher? Are you fucking kidding me?

OK, is there anything ELSE Activision could do right now to make themselves appear EVEN MORE satanic? Even Kotick's picture looks as if it were taken at his summer home in the depths of hell!

Say hello to the new face of evil folks!

I'd do my own, but MSPaint wouldn't do justice to what I'd want to do. Think I'd rather just print that pic out and put it on my dartboard.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Gaderael:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Ask and Ye Shall Receive

You ain't kidding...that face would keep me up at night. *shudders*

ChromeAlchemist:

FloodOne:

ChromeAlchemist:

Yes.

It's like vegetarianism to prove a point. Why bother when everyone else is going to eat it regardless? I would like some proof that others are banding up to prove a point, and I'm too lazy to do it myself in response to your quote.

It's this kind of train of thought that is damaging human society as a whole. Vegetarians who abstain from meat to prove a point are doing just that. Proving a point. In the grand scheme of things, a videogame price is insignificant, but would you sit idly by while an actual injustice is taking place?

Should the people of Iran have just rolled over instead of standing up to prove a point?

Again, a videogame price is nowhere near as important as what happened in Iran, but that "fuck all, I can't change anything" attitude is scary.

HardRockSamurai:
snip

The smile was honestly creepier before you changed it.

Dude has a really fucking creepy smile.

Also, let him.
It'll just encourage (and justify) the pirates.

MaxTheReaper:

HardRockSamurai:
snip

The smile was honestly creepier before you changed it.

I didn't change it; I just googled "Kotick" and found the picture.

HardRockSamurai:

I didn't change it; I just googled "Kotick" and found the picture.

...Now that's hilarious.

FloodOne:

Lord_Jaroh:

I'm going to do what has to be done. I'm not going to purchase games with the big fat Activision logo on them.

Good for you. This is the proper response, and the only one that will be taken seriously when Activision's shareholders review the books, albeit if enough people do it. For the record the last Activision game I bought was Guitar Hero 3, and that was the main reason why I stopped supporting them.

I know that I will miss games I would otherwise have bought, but you know what? There are plenty of other good games to play, made by people that actually care for their audience (or at least have enough tact to not be complete assholes towards their customers). What will test me is Diablo III, but I really am not excited for this game as I would have been 5 years ago, had it come out not looking like the World of Warcraft team spat it out after Kotick's greedy fingers reached down their throats.

You know, it really seems that the board of directors at every game publisher on Earth needs to tell the CEO to shut the hell up. Kotick here, JR at EA... they just don't seem to be capable of opening their mouths to the press without putting their feet in. How in the hell did these people get their jobs? It sure can't be because of their charisma.

He's a good businessman, honestly if he needed to justify his massive CEO paycheck this did it.
Displaying ruthlesness in a tough enviroment and pushing to get the companies shareholders the best return.

Sure fans will be grouchy about the extra cost. It won't stop them from buying it. Where Activision will suffer is with attracting people new to the genre, they will wait for the price drop.

*sigh* When did my beloved game industry become just another teat for the corporations to suckle on and take advantage of as many people as they possibly can.

Its hard to believe Activision started out as a handful of programmers looking for a little justice in an industry ruled by Atari and their lack of pay and complete disrespect for their game designers. now Activision is merely the new Atari.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here