Activision CEO Says He Would Raise Prices Even Higher

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

fire can solve this problem

CantFaketheFunk:

Jumplion:

AceDiamond:

Jumplion:

jamesworkshop:
why wouldn't he or any other business not want to sell their product for as much as they can

There's a difference between selling a product for a sensible price and selling a product by price-gauging.

Hey, he wants to "make some damn money"

I said change it to "needs" some damn money, damnit! But regardless, at least we know that Sony is trying to lower the price. I can't say that this isn't a common thing with many business, raising prices and such, but the insane hypocrisy that is this Kotick guy is what really tosses this over the edge.

Hm. I don't know if I'd call it hypocrisy, per se.

His argument was that Sony needs to lower the cost on the PS3 not out of principle, but because people aren't as willing to pay the higher cost, so it isn't selling as well as it might be. If the PS3 were selling as well as its peers despite the higher price tag, they probably wouldn't be calling for a price cut since there'd be no evidence for it.

In that line of thought, if they raise the price of games $10 or so, and find that it severely impacts sales, then they'll probably lower them again, since they'd have empirical evidence that people weren't willing to pay the higher cost. On the other hand, if they raise the price but sales stay about the same, then they'll have realized that the new price is still within peoples' acceptable margins for how much a game should cost.

It's definitely a bit of a dick move to pull, no question about that. I just don't think it's necessarily a hypocritical one.

Then we as gamers should boycott any game made by Activision until they realize we wont stand for price gouging. I mean we have the real power here, if we stop buying their games their sales will drop considerably and they will have no choice but to lower their games prices to a reasonable level.

Maybe now's a good time to invest in some board games? Remember life before Xbox Live, when people actually sat around a table and played Sorry or Chess or whatever? I know that's the sort of thing that saw a reemergence during the first industry crash. This $63 pricetag for games of this gen was/is still fairly outrageous, asking more... well, come to think of it they did manage to put little effort in making a crappy Playschool guitar toy and a music collection with cheap graphics and still sell it to people for obscene amounts of money... so who knows?

"news alert activision have just moved there headquarters to HELL"

this is insane its like their saying their evil and there is nothing anybody can do about it.I think someone needs to knock Activision down a peg or two so i agree we would have a boycott on mw2 until the game falls to "normal" retail prices as that the only thing that will stop them hiking the prices of games every time they feel like it.Actually screw this i am going to boycott MW2 till it drops to 40 who is with me who wants to show that we will not be exploited by developers.

Yes please, go ahead and raise prices even higher, see what happens to the piracy rate.

dochmbi:
Yes please, go ahead and raise prices even higher, see what happens to the piracy rate.

My thoughts exactly. And people wonder why torrent sites are so popular...

Basically, the price hike they have done is one reason I am only picking up the Hardened Edition of MW2, since i feel despite the fact NWG's would be cool. 20 is border line ridiculous for something I won't use and will probably break quickly.

FloodOne:

ChromeAlchemist:

FloodOne:

ChromeAlchemist:
This is a forum. Bitching, pissing and moaning is what we do here. I would need a boycott group 500 thousand strong before I even think of not buying this game, because as it stands it makes no difference whether I buy this or not, the game is still going to sell an unholy amount.

And that is the problem. Unless 500,000 people refuse to buy the game, you won't either?

Yes.

It's like vegetarianism to prove a point. Why bother when everyone else is going to eat it regardless? I would like some proof that others are banding up to prove a point, and I'm too lazy to do it myself in response to your quote.

It's this kind of train of thought that is damaging human society as a whole. Vegetarians who abstain from meat to prove a point are doing just that. Proving a point. In the grand scheme of things, a videogame price is insignificant, but would you sit idly by while an actual injustice is taking place?

Should the people of Iran have just rolled over instead of standing up to prove a point?

Again, a videogame price is nowhere near as important as what happened in Iran, but that "fuck all, I can't change anything" attitude is scary.

Of course the Iran part is completely out of context like you implied. There are things that I would stand up and fight for at the drop of a hat, and there are things I'll follow in the footsteps of many for, and this is it. If there's a petition I can sign, sign me up. If you want to take your own advice and start a movement, sure I'll join.

However until then I'll just buy the game pre-owned, because if I'm sitting here refusing purchase and assuming that there are hundreds of thousands of others doing the same, when it could be the opposite, I just wonder what's the point. I'd like some assurance that I'm part of something much bigger than myself and am making a difference, considering I know this is going to sell millions, and I know everyone who refuses to buy the game now will buy it when the price is cheaper. Make yourself known, start something and others will follow, if it does have to start somewhere then why not with you?

ODST raised in price, I didn't see a petition or a movement. RE5 had content on the disc you had to unlock, and I didn't see a petition or a movement. Just spark it.

Fret098:

Then we as gamers should boycott any game made by Activision until they realize we wont stand for price gouging. I mean we have the real power here, if we stop buying their games their sales will drop considerably and they will have no choice but to lower their games prices to a reasonable level.

This couldn't be any half assed petition. For a game that is going to sell 2 or 3 million? Sure. However this is going to sell well past six or seven million, this will take more than a petition, it will need a campaign. And lord knows you'll need it for when Modern Warfare 3 comes out.

jamesworkshop:
why wouldn't he or any other business not want to sell their product for as much as they can

Their job is to sell us things and make a profit, not take as much money as they can simply because they can.

As I've said before, the fact they are earning money by screwing us over doesn't excuse the action.

Note to self - never again purchase Activision products.

This is just another example of the callous disregard and contempt the gaming industry shows its consumer base. They consider us reliable wallet-openers (the so-called "discerning" hardcore crowd) who will faithfully shell out sixty dollars for any game with the words 'Madden,' 'Halo,' or 'Call of' in the title. I mean, seriously, who does this guy think he is? What kind of business does he think he is running? Imagine if the broadcasting companies began demanding that TV manufacturers charge less for their products.

No wonder piracy and used game sales are on the rise. The game industry isn't growing; it's in decline. They want to raise prices because the number of people buying games isn't increasing. Maybe instead of bitching and moaning about gamestop and bittorrent they should, I don't know, actually make games people want to own.

Bobby Kotick is Cobra Commander, trying to make the Joes pay top dollar for his games. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

come on people if l4d fans can boycott l4d2 just because they thought its was a bad idea cod fans can boycott mw2 because of unjustified prices changes.As im not buying the game till its 40 or under i hope others join this cause with me and if not i will be one of the only people who can complain about games costing 60 in the future.

These companies need to make up their minds, they can either keep prices the same but to compensate increase in-game adverts, which i could honestly live with if i had to (along the lines of the billboards in Prototype, not the vids in Wipeout HD), or, if they are going to raise the price of the disc, not have ANY adverts in the games, they can't have it both ways.

So the question is: Who was worse for the gamers, Jack Thompson or This guy? (Jack Thompson before he got disbarred, I mean.)

just cement yourself as a normal person(i.e greedy.) some people(i.e some guy i probably don't know.) like to think some developers are not normel people

what! games are already $100 each in aus. bloody bastard

i realise this would never EVER happen, but the only way for people to do anything about this would be to boycott the games put out by him in the near future. especially modern warfare 2. but saying that, i know it's too much to ask for from the die hard fans.

NekoiHiokans:

Amnestic:

NekoiHiokans:
Give me the picture...me and my art friends would make him look like a ken doll in drag!

And seriously, how much is Modern Warfare 2 going to cost, I don't wanna give an arm and a leg for a damn game.

RRP is 55 in Britain, though a number of retailers (Play.com, GAME) still have the price listed at a more normal price of 30-40 last I checked, seemingly bucking Activision's desire to price gouge.

Whether that changes between now and release remains to be seen.

Ick...that's sounds expensive, I don't even wanna know the amount US, guess I'll just have to have a heart attack when I go to buy it.

Hate to give you a heart attack, but that's $90.

I read this yesterday. Also I really hope to see this guy in the Greed circle of Hell in EA's upcomming Dante's Inferno.

Seriously? Seriously? Forget Ozzy Osbourne, Bobby Kotick's the one that's riding the bloody crazy train. He must be pretty damned confident in his ability to hold onto his current job.

The_Oracle:
Seriously? Seriously? Forget Ozzy Osbourne, Bobby Kotick's the one that's riding the bloody crazy train. He must be pretty damned confident in his ability to hold onto his current job.

The guy probably has tenure (those who don't know what tenure is, send me a PM, and I'll get back to you).

Keane Ng:
since it just conjures an image of a bunch of cartoon fat cats laughing it up and wearing top hats and monocles while sipping martinis and eating ribeyes.

Crap he's onto us. Run boys, clear out.

fix-the-spade:
The man is clearly Tony Blair's long lost brother.

Never mind the greedy backstabbing lieing bit, he's even got the same smile!

Tony Blair? or Margret Thatcher? 90's Thatcher at least

but am I the only one who sees whats really going on? Activision is attempting to drive the video game industry into a semi-recession just to get some bail-out money from Obama! its a conspiracy I tell you! A CONSPIRACY! [/tinfoilhat]

Rhayn:
I don't know what goes on in his head. I'm trying to understand what it is with money that makes you go crazy. This guy already makes ungodly amounts of green, yet it seems all he has to say involves him making even more of it.

It's pissing me off, to say the least. What's even more annoying is that he is in fact allowed to do that - Activision is a company, companies need to make money.

I guess what I'm trying to say that I wasn't expecting any goodwill from Activision, but damnit, this is going overboard. I would like to say that I'm going to completley stop buying any of their games, but I play WoW, so that's not going to happen. Regardless, I already decided to not get MW2 and instead buy two copies of Brutal Legend.

why two..

Humm a company that wants bigger profits? Imagine that.

Well, as inflation becomes more and more significant in today's economy, prices will rise. Realize that the Commodore 64 was originally $595 and only cost ~$135 to make, then look at the PS3 being made at cost -- being sold at a price less than it takes to make it. (I don't know if that's still true because optimizations have no doubt been made in its manufacture.)

Look at the cost of games: new games have been ~$50 on release for the majority of the console/pc gaming market's lifetime. But comparing the production costs and quality of, say, ET on Atari (one guy was given less than a month to make it) versus the mammoth effort required for Grand Theft Auto 4 or a recent Call of Duty game shows that the $50 product are widely disparate in actual value. Even if you disregard inflation, that's still true. And it's still true that the majority of NES and earlier games take less effort to make than most indie games or Flash games do today, despite originally being priced for much more.

Part of that's because gaming's become bigger and bigger, so that they can afford much less profit on each unit. Part of that's because pricing conventions are hard to break, and the company that increases the price first will suffer a disadvantage in competition and a bad reputation. Once the first company's broken the ranks in the pricing schemes, more will follow from a safe distance.

Ultimately, entertainment industries are ruled by what people are willing to pay. ~$50 for a new game has persisted for a while, but is already falling apart as production costs get higher and higher. I won't say that increasing the cost of games will make them better, but it will keep the companies alive longer to spit out more.

I havent had love for activision in years. This isnt gonna bring me back any time soon.

i just LOVE capitalism hahahaha

Hey, that's business. I'm honestly neither shocked nor outraged. Call me a cynic, 'cause it's exactly what I am.

T-Bone24:

NekoiHiokans:

Amnestic:

NekoiHiokans:
Give me the picture...me and my art friends would make him look like a ken doll in drag!

And seriously, how much is Modern Warfare 2 going to cost, I don't wanna give an arm and a leg for a damn game.

RRP is 55 in Britain, though a number of retailers (Play.com, GAME) still have the price listed at a more normal price of 30-40 last I checked, seemingly bucking Activision's desire to price gouge.

Whether that changes between now and release remains to be seen.

Ick...that's sounds expensive, I don't even wanna know the amount US, guess I'll just have to have a heart attack when I go to buy it.

Hate to give you a heart attack, but that's $90.

that's half of my paycheck...*sigh*...screw it, me and my bf are going half on it.

This is the reason why the Pirate Bay exists.

I know one should never advocate for Piracy, but fuck this guy. He wants to raise the prices just for the heck of it and try to get away with it.
Fuck him.

We need to make a new rule: every picture of Bobby Kotick posted on these forums must be defaced. No exceptions.

The_root_of_all_evil:
I believe this would be best illustrated by illustration.

Gentlemen, we have a smiling photo to deface, don't you think?

well, half the jobs already done for us, he's already behind a flaming red/orange background... :P

Basically, I think this is him peeing over the consumers.

What he needs to realise is people will NOT buy games at their full RRP (in the UK I believe the RRP of PC games is 40, but they always tend to sell for 30 or less), and would much rather wait for the sales.

I bet the sales figures for Guitar Hero/Rock Band/The like went up massively in the post-Christmas sales because companies were slashing the prices to 30-40, instead of the usual 50-60.

http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Action/FirstPersonShooter/~r339837/Modern-Warfare-2/ <MW2 on GAME.co.uk, 45 at the time of posting, which is damned high for a preorder.

They're gonna lose a lot of sales if they use that price, IMHO. Sure, it'll still sell rather well, but knock it down 5-10 and sales will rocket.

This guy is the epitome of the word douchebag. I hope he gets carjacked.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here