Arkham Asylum Pirates Get a Gimpy Batman

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

EA, go on a date with Eidos. You might learn something!

While I am a big sadistic pirate who enjoys some free games from torrents, I find this to be the most epic thing any game studio has done. And extra cookies to that moderator for the line

That is pretty funny, but I think they should've taken it one step further. I think they should have included a virus that does something truly diabolical such as delete the offender's entire HDD, or cause their mother board to overheat and break (yes that can happen).

Pure concentrated awesome is what it is! Even if pirates will find a work around in no time at all!

They used things like that back in the days of MSX games (mainly Xak II had a famous one where a script event just didn't get triggered on copied versions). I certainly hope they made it so there isn't a single false positive there, or it's just as bad as all other drm-based copyright evasion systems.

This is simply awesome! I must admit that my game budget is quite stretched these days, so I considered pirating Arkham Asylum. But I just have to support this kind of DRM, which makes me smile, as opposed to the ones that fucks up my PC when I install my legally bought game.

As a side-note, I am sure there will be a workaround and or fix for the pirate versions of the game in a week or two, which I could have waited for if I wanted to, but their DRM creativity have won me over.

The problem with all DRM is when it prevents you from doing something you should be entitled to. For example, buy a game and play it on more than one computer (at different times).

The problem with this kind of *sneaky* DRM, is that you might be trying to do such a legitimate thing, only to find the game is unplayable after wasting lots of time on it.

100% pure awesome!

scotth266:

ChromeAlchemist:

scotth266:
I have to say that this is quite possibly the best idea I've ever heard of. Good work on the part of Rocksteady.

Next step: "leaking" a "cracked" version of a game on the net, which turns out to be a demo that shuts down 20 minutes in to say: "Insert Credit To Continue" or "You are NOT morally superior."

"Insert Credit to Continue" Would be perfect.

No! "The police are on their way". Oh my god, if I could record their reaction...

Not to mention the few people drunk enough to wonder: "Where do I stick in the quarter?"

Priceless.

I think...

Excellent, this is easily the better than any DRM, lets hope other developers take note.

The develpors win again for once!

Buy the game or Batman falls to his death, it's like the villians of Gotham are on the marketing team.

Terramax:
It shouldn't take long for a pirate to re-program it to include all the original moves.

Not that I honestly care too much. I played the demo. It sucked. If anyone lacks a moral code, it's Eidos for releasing such an un-enjoyable pile of rubble.

Hmmm interesting so what you are saying is a game publisher has no moral code if they create or publish a game that you do not like. Personally I enjoy this game and judging by the reviews and other peoples comments across many sites I am not the only one. Would you care to elaborate on how they lack morals by making said game that has many people that like it? I may be able to see what you are saying if the game was horribly glitchy, broken, or had something that caused the game to be unplayable for paying customers and they new about it and still released it. But on my play-throughs I have not seen much if any frame rate drops or clipping issues or anything like that the game is well pollished (maybe not perfect but well polished).

As for the original post this has to be one of the coolest copy protection schemes ever. It is too bad we need systems like this. If everyone that pirates would just learn to pay for the games DRM and such would not be an issue.

Hehehe, they always put one of those gameplay limiters on the "leaked weeks before" promotional extended demos.
Assassin's Creed ring any bells?

That's hilarious. Why don't more companies do this?

Rofl fail to the pirate who first asked about this "Bug"

You know what would rock? If instead of gimping Batman they replaced him with Rick Astley for the pirated version.

Whoa whoa whoa. If you pirate that game you get a character who can't do half of anything? Okay that's hilarious! xD Kudos to them! EA should take a page from their book and employ the same use!

Ahh to bad they should have gave him pink tights as well lol. That is brilliant.

Doesn't anyone here remember the Earthbound anti-piracy measures? That game froze and deleted all your save game files in the middle of the final boss battle if it detected itself to be a pirated version. Surely that was the greatest/most evil DRM.

Littaly:
You know what would rock? If instead of gimping Batman they replaced him with Rick Astley for the pirated version.

Rick Rolling your way through the Joker's henchmen. I like it already!

freaking hilarious

Hmmm. If heaven is not populated by people who came up with this kind of counter-measure, I really do not want to die. That was priceless. Truly priceless. Rocksteady knows how to pack a punch both game-wise and pirate wise. Very very well done fellows. Now find a way so that this work of art of a DRM will NOT GET BYPASSED.

I'm impressed at the creativity and the sheer awesomeness of this.

Fucking doubles...

saikanoto:
Doesn't anyone here remember the Earthbound anti-piracy measures? That game froze and deleted all your save game files in the middle of the final boss battle if it detected itself to be a pirated version. Surely that was the greatest/most evil DRM.

Unfortunately, those of us in Europe never had the chance to see it, as the Mother series has NEVER been released here. But it sounds awesome...and gets me worried about my Earthbound ROM image.

It kinda makes sense for a game like this to get tough on crime.

And +10 points to the guy that thought up this idea.

ChromeAlchemist:
Maybe there is and we haven't found it. "Wet vines" fiasco involving a threesome between Batman, Bane and Poison Ivy? Jack Thompson would be dancing a jig if he wasn't disbarred.

Preposterous. You know the bat-perverts would never tolerate having Harley Quinn excluded.

Even more unacceptable would be a lack of cheesy music... (I imagine that techno music used in the Assassins creed 2 gameplay trailer...)

CantFaketheFunk:
Since its acquisition of Rocksteady parent Eidos, Square-Enix has announced plans to use similar DRM in its upcoming Final Fantasy XIII, where any attempt to use magic will always result in summoning a rampaging horde of Chocobos to crush the party, the player, and anyone they've ever loved.

That is just pure gold. I hope all game devs start doing this. What does DRM stand for, by the way?

Bravo.

hansari:

ChromeAlchemist:
Maybe there is and we haven't found it. "Wet vines" fiasco involving a threesome between Batman, Bane and Poison Ivy? Jack Thompson would be dancing a jig if he wasn't disbarred.

Preposterous. You know the bat-perverts would never tolerate having Harley Quinn excluded.

Even more unacceptable would be a lack of cheesy music... (I imagine that techno music used in the Assassins creed 2 gameplay trailer...)

You nuts? She would be watching on the monitors, but instead hallucinating and seeing two Jokers and Batman.

Aaaaaaannnd this just got unsettling. >_>

saikanoto:

Savage. I guess that means I'll never be able to play it then.

I wonder if they pirate had time to go, "Oh that's all? Right thanks I'll go fix that now." Before he was hit with a banhammer.

I mean I doubt he's got better shit to do.

Sexual Harassment Panda:
Buy the game or Batman falls to his death, it's like the villians of Gotham are on the marketing team.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
+5 Respect to Developers for this style of DRM.

There was something like this in Mirrors Edge too, Faith would stop running on like, the third level if I recall, forcing you to miss a jump and fall to your death. It's really a brillian-

*AHEM* I MEAN; OR SO I WAS TOLD, AT THE TIME.

Anyways, the Mirrors Edge copy protection "fall of death" got patched by the pirates in about 3 hours after release, which I found kind of disappointing. I hope they found a way to hard-code this into the game, rendering a patched .exe unable to 'fix' this.

EDIT:
Oh, and on a side note, who pirates a game then submits a bug report for it? Do alot of people who pirate games feel that the dev team should stop everything and fix their bug? Or do they feel they're contributing? The guy who posted the bug report confuses me.

Eidos, the masters of good anti piracy measures!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here