Modern Warfare 2 Recalled in Russia

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Funny how stupid people think everyone else is even dumber.

I can actualy understand this.

I really loathed the villains of MW2, because they were really just card carriers. Suddenly the Russian People as a whole consider a terrorist whom they were fighting 5 years ago a national hero?

I was so pleased, when they decided to censor this game (I'm Russian). Note: that's the only game, ever censored in Russia, and it's mostly because of gamers outrage. Politics usually don't give a shit about games here. I'm surprised to see the link to gotps3.ru here, but anyway - here's my blog there http://www.gotps3.ru/post/687/

Kollega:
You know what, people? All the outrage is because Russian people are fed up with "OMFG COMMUNAZIS" portrayals, yet there are a bunch of nationalistic movements in the country. And i can't say gonverment does a good job in fighting racial intolerance. Plus, Putin is a pretty tough leader. Not a full-blown dictator, but still pretty hard-line one.

It's kinda funny how our gamers rage about airport level, yet they have no qualms about...

Bunch of hypocrites.

It's Americans, who can be offended by Washington scene, don't you think? And my oh my, you think Putin was tough, but you don't know that most of his orders were simply ignored. Well, at least those orders built him a good reputation here.

jpoon:
Damn commies...

What commies? You mean Zuganov? Than you should have wrote "clowns". You people still think stereotypes, get over it.

Timelord91:
Russia just lost 50 points in my book

Hurry up and use your book as toilet paper, before it's too late.

mikecoulter:
That's pretty pathetic Russia. I thought you were badass. :(

Likewise. I thought the Russians were actually kinda awesome, strangely enough.

I guess the outrage for even the gamers in Russia isn't entirely unjustified, though. If a game came out showing N.Irish terrorists brutally murdering civilians, I probably wouldn't be too crazy about it either, but I also believe that it is very possibly to worry too much about this sort of thing.

Although I haven't played the game myself (I'm one of the 17 or so people ACTUALLY boycotting it), if there are other things there that obviously are meant to appeal to an exclusively American audience, then the outcry becomes far more justified.

Also, if games are going to feature obvious racists like the guy saying "I have no desire to drink with him or any other Russian son of a bitch." then there should be at least one person to call them out on it, too. Of course, I feel that racism, etc is WAY too touchy a subject (why is this still such a big problem? Ugh.) and I don't think it should be entirely omitted from any work of fiction (For one, it can be a tool to add more character to someone and give them fairly big yet not unreasonable flaws) but it could also be used to offset characters who do say something like "Okay, so you call all Russians bad because of one small group of them? Real nice, dumbass." that you want the player/reader/watcher/whatever to endear themselves to.

But anyway, I've gone off on a tangent again.
The Russians are a bit too touchy about it, but by the same merit, IW did screw up. Yeah, AGAIN. They could have done a less heavy-handed approach.

TheRealCJ:
I can actualy understand this.

I really loathed the villains of MW2, because they were really just card carriers. Suddenly the Russian People as a whole consider a terrorist whom they were fighting 5 years ago a national hero?

Okay, if I understand what you said correctly;
Woah, woah, woah. You mean Zacheaiv? (Don't know how to spell it) The guy you kill in CoD4? In MW2, the Russians call him a hero?

Congratulations, Infinity-Ward, you have just been upgraded from 'douchebags' to 'pillocks'.

If not;
Feel free to ignore that.

seems to suggest that many Russian gamers are also upset with the game, which "feeds the primary audience residing in the United States of America a story about the evil Russian!"

good job russia your only 15 years behind on that one.

Ph33nix:

seems to suggest that many Russian gamers are also upset with the game, which "feeds the primary audience residing in the United States of America a story about the evil Russian!"

good job russia your only 15 years behind on that one.

*Zing* You still got it.

So let me get this straight:

Modern Warfare - Russian terrorist kills thousands of people, many of them presumably are Americans, with a nuclear bomb. This is okay.

Modern Warfare 2 - Russian terrorist kills hundreds of people, many of them presumably are Russians, with an LMG. This is not okay.

This confuses me.

Thunderhorse31:

Modern Warfare - Russian terrorist kills thousands of people, many of them presumably are Americans, with a nuclear bomb. This is okay.

Modern Warfare 2 - Russian terrorist kills hundreds of people, many of them presumably are Russians, with an LMG. This is not okay.

This confuses me.

I haven't played MW2, so I'm not sure, but a few things I've heard about MW2 suggest that it's not nearly as simple as that.

Surely throwing a hissy-fit over it makes them look worse?

I can understand them getting a bit upset about it. But really... its a video game and pure fiction. They can always develop a game about Americans being the "bad guys".

Get over it.

MGlBlaze:

Although I haven't played the game myself (I'm one of the 17 or so people ACTUALLY boycotting it), if there are other things there that obviously are meant to appeal to an exclusively American audience, then the outcry becomes far more justified.

I'm also boycotting this game. So, it's 18 people total - rejoice, brother!
Anyway. The point is - have you ever seen a Russian terrorist? You know, not some southern nations, which was once parts of USSR and now feel offended for no apparent reason, but a truly Russian terrorist? IW basically made it all up. And that pisses people off here. Russians have never organized terrorist acts. But since some people here still actually think WE attacked Georgia... Perhaps you think we're all drunkards and communists.

ChaosGenesis:
I can understand them getting a bit upset about it. But really... its a video game and pure fiction. They can always develop a game about Americans being the "bad guys".

Get over it.

^This

Lord_Gremlin:

MGlBlaze:

Anyway. The point is - have you ever seen a Russian terrorist? You know, not some southern nations, which was once parts of USSR and now feel offended for no apparent reason, but a truly Russian terrorist? IW basically made it all up. And that pisses people off here. Russians have never organized terrorist acts. But since some people here still actually think WE attacked Georgia... Perhaps you think we're all drunkards and communists.

Oh go take a hike in the Sun.

Disregard. Accidental Double Post.

Thunderhorse31:

This confuses me.

I don't like the Call of Duty series at all. Bullshit story through and through.

Lord_Gremlin:

Thunderhorse31:

This confuses me.

I don't like the Call of Duty series at all. Bullshit story through and through.

Fixed that for you ;)

What is this damn airport scene I keep hearing about? I haven't gotten the game yet, so I have no clue what's going on except that the Russians apparently REEEEEEALLY don't like it.

What was it going to be, Evil Russians? Evil Chinese? Evil Terrorists? I mean, it's either that or zee Evil Germans. The next Modern Warfare better be about fighting off an alien invasion force.

VanityGirl:
It's kind of understandable; to a point. Russia wants the US to look past the Cold War era and move on to a friendlier open relationship where we are free to rely on one another. I'm sure Russia doesn't want to be slandered in any way. Although it can be said "Oh, it's just a video game", it's also the highest selling video game right now. Millions and Millions of people will be paying this and seeing the 'evil Russian terrorists' may reflect a bad light on them.That's how they proably feel.

I don't blame them, considering the gullibility of modern-day society. I for one thought it was a good expositional moment for the game. It really added emotion to the backstory. But, there is a multitude of people I know who would see this and immediately jump to conclusions about the Russian people.

shewolf51:
What is this damn airport scene I keep hearing about? I haven't gotten the game yet, so I have no clue what's going on except that the Russians apparently REEEEEEALLY don't like it.

i feel there were a few things the russians should be upset about ect how when the russians invade america they end up killing a lot of civilians on purpose.But the airport scene is not one of them.

shewolf51:

http://www.mapmodnews.com/article.php/Forced-kil-civilians-Modern-Warfare-2 - see for yourself.

Sparrow:
To be honest, if America was portrayed in a game as the "bad guys" (Heh, yeah right.) for no real explained reason, YOU'D BE PISSED TOO.

Seriously. Step off of Russia. I'd be pissed if England were terrorists for no explained reason, and so would you.

Also, I'm pretty sure that;

Oh my, some people are getting upset over a video game.

The fact that Russians are whining about this is odd, since, I think, they are the bad guys in pretty much every game they're in. What's so damn special about it now? There really are terrorists in Russia who kill Russians(the terrorists may be thetzenian or any other of the hundreds of minorities living in Russia). And the terrorists in MW2 were not working for the Russian goverment, nor doing the people's will, so the game suggests "mercenaries are bad" instead of "all Ruskies are bad".

However, this really doesn't help Russia's public image, which wasn't really in great shape earlier either. Nationalist moaning and demands to countries that aren't in their grip anymore make Russia look quite pathetic. And scary and hostile at the same time.

we all know what happened to the Fallujah game... IW should have forseen this after that mess.

Hm... there goes IW proving that no publicity is bad publicity, yet again.

I want their bank accounts.

I think everyone saw this one comeing from a long ways off, IW just didn't care enough to run a decent PR campain apparently.

My favourite part about MW1+2 is how the Americans get completely and utterly buttfucked both times, resulting in the British SAS crew to save the day. Not sure why the Russians are being such a bunch of pussies about it when that's taken into consideration...

Lord_Gremlin:

Your tears fuel my airport killing spree.

Spitfire175:

The fact that Russians are whining about this is odd, since, I think, they are the bad guys in pretty much every American game they're in.

Fixed.

Spitfire175:

There really are terrorists in Russia who kill Russians(the terrorists may be thetzenian or any other of the hundreds of minorities living in Russia).

Imagine a game, where British terrorists brutally murder British civilians. You know, stereotypical British, first they drink tea with cookies and then gear up and start mass murder. What? There are terrorists in GB. Oh, they're not British? And "thetzenian" are not Russian. Now you understand?

Kollega:
You know what, people? All the outrage is because Russian people are fed up with "OMFG COMMUNAZIS" portrayals, yet there are a bunch of nationalistic movements in the country. And i can't say gonverment does a good job in fighting racial intolerance. Plus, Putin is a pretty tough leader. Not a full-blown dictator, but still pretty hard-line one.

It's kinda funny how our gamers rage about airport level, yet they have no qualms about...

Bunch of hypocrites.

This. Absolutely this.
I have grown to hate our gamers.
Every forum states exactly the same "Fucking Americans. Again we are the bad guys. It is right that the game was banned."
I am so not proud to be a russian gamer right now.

Oh Russia. Didn't you read the quotes after you died? About how nationalist sucks.

Kollega:

Bunch of hypocrites.

I completely agree with this sentiment. Russia has a history of being a hard brutal dictatorship, hence they translate SO WELL to being video game bad-guys.

Multi-Kill:
I consider the ones with the predator missiles to be the most fun. Finger of god technology is so awesomely destructive.[/spoiler]

The Predator isn't a missile, it's a UAV. The missiles themselves are the good ol' Hellfires that they mount on the Apache.
Obligatory Wiki link

flaming_squirrel:
Your tears fuel my airport killing spree.

Why do you think I'm crying?;) I'm just getting angry. It's Russian habit - we remain silent until we're really pissed off. And when we're really pissed... You ever heard what happened to Napoleon? He was pretty much successful. But then he pissed off us.

I like a good story, and I think that MW2 pulled off a good story aside from leaving things well open enough for a MW3 in another two years.

I'm not so sure that, if a game was released where you play a US marine that murders families in Iraq, it would be very well received in the US either.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here