Department of Defense Research: Gamers Are 20% Smarter

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I've played FPS games for a little over a decade now, and I can pretty much attest to their findings. Games may not teach you arithmatic, but playing games can help your brain develop the ability to make decisions on the fly, increase situational awareness and a slew of other perks that most definitely benefit soldiers.

brodie21:

khaimera:

brodie21:
duh!

hooray!! post count +1

You'd think that with this style of posting you'd have a much higher post count. Just saying

i was going to put a snarky comment, but i was thinking and accidentally hit the post button with the touchpad of my laptop.

post count +2!

Oh, well then I apologize for being an ass. I'm not a huge fan of one word posts.

+1 for me. Alright I'll stop with that stupid joke.

HardRockSamurai:
Hang on a second......research.....accurate research......actually proved something GOOD regarding video games?

...I think hell just froze over...

I had the same in my mind

You just can't argue with Uncle Sam ;)

Jes. I's a genyus. Da Guv'ment seys so!

I do love the D.O.D, though I do have problems with idiots who suck at video games and still have no hand eye coordination try to state that their smarter because they play them.

Ha obscure dissaproving obscure relative, IN YOUR FACE!!
I'm not "participating in a life suck"

Well, considering we already worship the devil, I don't think anybody will care.

Although this is undoubtedly good news, I'm afraid I must somewhat spoil the celebrations by saying this does not support our argument against the Atkinson's and Thompsons of the world much. They tend to look at violence in video games and denounce it for that reason. Even Atkinson acknowledges gaming is good for development (this research simply adds a more solid number to it) and stated that one "can be challenged without impaling someone". So unfortunately this is a small victory against censorship and dumb ass political figures, but a pretty substantial victory for giving our kids a reason to play games.

factualsquirrel:

HardRockSamurai:
Hang on a second......research.....accurate research......actually proved something GOOD regarding video games?

Well, there has been plenty of that to be honest, but how many politicians are out defending our cause, and waving around every little bit of info they find?

None.

That's because they're politicians. They're paid to talk shit about their beliefs and ideals.(They aren't supposed to be, but they are) It's all goddamn conservatives on their religious vendetta bull-oh wait, Atkinson is in a liberal party...
Learn something implausible every day...

OT: I don't think it's that gamers are smarter, it's just that they're developing a different set of psychological skills.

It seems like every time the military studies gamers, they come up with some sort of conclusion to the effect of "these are people we want in the Army."

And every time Michael Atkinson and Jack Thompson study gamers, they think "what a bunch of ultra-violent sociopaths. Games are just turning kids into killing machines."

Am I the only one who sees a connection here?

Well that is fantastic news. I suppose the Escapist could have indirectly proven it a long time ago since I rarely see the combination of idiot + gamer here.

Hey, I'm a gamer and I'm in the military!

Does that make me, like, a fucking genius?

HardRockSamurai:

Don't go swimming in the purple water!
OT: FINALLY some accurate figures MUE HA HA HA!

Well, of course fast-paced action games build up your rapid response skills. D'oh.

Eat that Frumpy Mom bitch. haha.

*Michael Atkinson commits suicide

that they only way this could get any better

Truth is somewhere between "only smart people play video-games" and the fact that yes while playing video games you exercise your brain and thus it works better with time.

But if this research is indeed accurate this also means that different games will exercise different parts of the brain, you can`t actually compare HOMM players to the counterstrike people since they use different functions in their brains.

All this talk of brains is making me hungry.

Erana:
Huh. That explains a lot.
Still, I wish there were more detail on their research; they only talk about their findings on the site.

Me too. I'm having my doubts about the causality conclusion. O_o Also if it's actually true it'd be awesome of course.

Quick! Cue the "Boot Camp" scene, but photoshop everybody with a psp!

The_root_of_all_evil:

Does anyone else get that Zapp Brannigan feeling?

Like we're gonna be the ones used to plug the enemies cannons with our bodies?

Alright men. The rebellious Predator drones have a kill limit in them. All we have to do is send wave after wave of ourselves at them until they reach it, at which point, they'll fall out of the sky. CHARGE! I'll go back to base and watch Scrubs. Good luck!

GrinningManiac:

Greg Tito:
"We have discovered that video game players perform 10 to 20 percent higher in terms of perceptual and cognitive ability than normal people that are non-game players,"

OI!

I noticed that as well. It implies that gamers are not normal. The sentence would be better without the word "normal".

I'm guessing it's either researcher bias (probably pro-gamer bias given the outcome of the study), or societal preconception. In 2010, are gamers so statistically rare that we can be called not normal?

I apologize for the swearing but -

FUCKING A.... This is awesome...

shit, balls, whore....

sorry, but I noticed I hadn't cussed enough to warrant disclaimer, so there you go...

Bookmarked for future ammo to use against anti-gamers

Awesome sauce is right.

Anyone read the actual study? Because theres a huge piece of information missing. Do we have reason to believe that Games, causally, make you smarter? Or are we looking at a correlational study that says that more intelligent people are more prone to play games? Either is awesome, but the causality would eb quite a bit more awesome.

::Edit:: Wow...that was quite the thread necro, and completely on accident... Damn my tendency to just click random links!

HardRockSamurai:

GOOD ABOUT GAEMS!? What is this I don't even.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54305)