HBO Greenlights Game Of Thrones Fantasy Series

Pages PREV 1 2

Greg Tito:

Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is probably my favorite series of fantasy books that doesn't have Ring or Wheel in the title.

You rank it up there with "Lord of the Rings" and, more important to me, "The Wheel of Time"? Well sir, you have made me greatly interested in this series, as I have never heard of it before. Even if's a fraction as great as The "Wheel" series, then I am sold. Now, off to find those books!

I just had to change my shorts. I'm more than just happy about this...

...Please excuse me while I get drunk and run through the streets naked and shouting in joy.

Darwins_Folly:
He had better not pull a Jordon is all I gotta say. I would vomit with rage and frustration.

It's not like the guy could have prevented himself from DYING from an incurable DISEASE!
At least he planned out the ending when he knew he didn't have the time to finish it and made sure a good writer was chosen to complete it.

Oh, man - sooo excited. It's going to be amazing.

.... shit. I don't get HBO! Well, I may just have to pay the extra for it when the time comes.

Gaderael:

Greg Tito:

Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is probably my favorite series of fantasy books that doesn't have Ring or Wheel in the title.

You rank it up there with "Lord of the Rings" and, more important to me, "The Wheel of Time"? Well sir, you have made me greatly interested in this series, as I have never heard of it before. Even if's a fraction as great as The "Wheel" series, then I am sold. Now, off to find those books!

Wow, you definitely should. As some in this thread have suggested, it's even better than WoT and I'm not sure that they are wrong.

Here's the book titles so far:

A Game of Thrones (1996)
A Clash of Kings (1998)
A Storm of Swords (2000)
A Feast for Crows (2005)

As you can see, Martin's long overdue for a fourth book. He had the story for the next installment completed back in 2004, and had planned to advance the timeline 5 years, but it was numbering almost 2000 pages and he decided to cut the book in half. He scrapped the 5 year rule and concentrated on telling certain viewpoints in the story, completely neglecting others. Martin's Dance of Dragons should becoming out soon and we'll finally get to hear what's happening with Jon Snow at the Wall and Tyrion in Pentos.

Greg Tito:
Sean Bean plays Eddard Stark, who is asked to take the position of the Hand of The King for his friend Robert Baratheon. Stark reluctantly takes the job and relocates his family from Winterfell castle in the North to the seat of the Seven Kingdoms, King's Landing. The Stark family, from dutiful wife Catelyn and impetuous Robb to tomboy Anya and princess Sansa,

Sorry for being "that guy", but I couldn't ignore it. This should be "Arya".

Wait? This is great. If one season equals one book then that means... At most it is only 8 more years until this damned thing gets resolved. I am freaking excited. After all if the series is a success (Which it will be) then they will continue doing one book a year. So even if Martin is the world's slowest writer (He is) he will make sure the tv show doesn't out pace his book. Please let this happen, and please let this series FINISH!

ThaBenMan:

Greg Tito:
tomboy Anya and princess Sansa,

Sorry for being "that guy", but I couldn't ignore it. This should be "Arya".

Thanks. Good catch. Fixed.

I will now commence my overload of nerdgasms; and either finally get cable or order the blu-rays and salivate!

Yeeeeaaaa boy. Love me some HBO...glad they're adding another great series.

Welcome to 3 months ago brother. The cast list has been known for quite a while now and the series being made has been known for well over a year.
Anyway I will not get my hopes up. All I can see is one of my favourite fantasy series turned into a steaming pile of shit while idiot fanboys gobble it up and beg for more.

If it turns out like Rome, awesome. But chances are it will be more Spartacus...

While it's definitely not going to be as good as the books, this is great news. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it and how true they are to the series.

And to anyone that hasn't read this series, please do yourself a favor and do so. It's absolutely fantastic and in my opinion trumps almost every other fantasy series out there.

Greg Tito:

Gaderael:

Greg Tito:

Wow, you definitely should. As some in this thread have suggested, it's even better than WoT and I'm not sure that they are wrong.

Here's the book titles so far:

A Game of Thrones (1996)
A Clash of Kings (1998)
A Storm of Swords (2000)
A Feast for Crows (2005)

As you can see, Martin's long overdue for a fourth book. He had the story for the next installment completed back in 2004, and had planned to advance the timeline 5 years, but it was numbering almost 2000 pages and he decided to cut the book in half. He scrapped the 5 year rule and concentrated on telling certain viewpoints in the story, completely neglecting others. Martin's Dance of Dragons should becoming out soon and we'll finally get to hear what's happening with Jon Snow at the Wall and Tyrion in Pentos.

Thanks for the titles. Two thousand pages!? That's like half of one WoT installment. He didn't have to cut anything.

You know... I've still not got around to reading this - but judging from the photo and that its an HBO series, I'll give it a try when it comes out here.

Oh, wow!!!!!! This is so many different kinds of awesome!!! And with Sean Bean, too!!! I'm soooo going to watch that! (Here's hoping us fans won't be disappointed.)

Khitten:
Welcome to 3 months ago brother. The cast list has been known for quite a while now and the series being made has been known for well over a year.
Anyway I will not get my hopes up. All I can see is one of my favourite fantasy series turned into a steaming pile of shit while idiot fanboys gobble it up and beg for more.

If it turns out like Rome, awesome. But chances are it will be more Spartacus...

That was the pilot....The series just got confirmed for a full season NOW. And the casting is not even complete yet. I think you are 3 months late in the news. ^^

Sean Bean!!! *faints from happiness* Fantastic news! I love this series. HBO does quality stuff, this should be great!

I recently picked up the books... So far I'm halfway book one in 3 weeks of reading it an hour before going to sleep, so I have a good chance of finishing the book before the series gets released. Curious and mildly optimistic at the prospect. :)

Here's hoping it's available on Hulu, I have no cable plan. Anyways, Sean Bean should make a good Ned Stark, though I find it ironic that both

HBO. Game of Thrones. Hmmm. Two things I love. Wicked.

Hell yeah. I love the book series, so much intrigue in it. Lets hope for a fun filed tv show with lots of battling if possible :-P Its a deep story and has a lot of potential, not like that legend of the seeker crap.

Also when you add Boromir to the mix its instant win

been following the pilot's development over at http://winter-is-coming.net/ for the last year or so.

extremely happy this is going to series, should be totally awesome.

and i hope it lasts at least 3 seasons......the "red wedding" episode has the potential to be the most shocking tv event..well ever.

Can't express how happy I am!!!!!

Doc Theta Sigma:
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Now for the love of god let somebody upload these to the internet. We don't get HBO in the UK D;

Jaredin:
Now only if we could awsome things like that in the UK

It'll be shown on BBC as well, like Rome was.

CoffeeOfDoom:

Doc Theta Sigma:

Now for the love of god let somebody upload these to the internet. We don't get HBO in the UK D;

Jaredin:
Now only if we could awsome things like that in the UK

It'll be shown on BBC as well, like Rome was.

Jesus, Allah, Buddha I love you all.

Wow. I seriously cannot wait. "A Song of Ice and Fire" is probably the best fantasy books I've read - the character's are so realistic, not the typical black-and-white heroes and villains you usually get in fantasy literature. Hoping this will speed up the process of writing/releasing the rest of the books in the series! Wow. Got to give it to HBO for knowing good TV.

Shameless bumpiomng of an Old thread to promote the Game of Thrones User group!

Winter is Coming

I will be keeping updated with info news and updates, so get involved we have an almost complete cast list and filming is under way!

Gaderael:

Greg Tito:

As a diehard of WoT before picking up this series I am willing to say that this is a somewhat darker and bleaker story but just as epic and fantastic (still a Wot Diehard but also a huge ASoIaF fan too)

Doc Theta Sigma:

News is that HBO will have a Sky channel in the near future so never fear we will have HBO in the UK for this series!

Wow, that's pretty cool. Hopefully it's not a butchering of the storyline (Like Legend of the Seeker).

Gonna use this instead of starting a new thread:

Last weekend HBO released a wealth of promo material for GoT, we have an 'in production' making of with interviews, a new teaser trailer entitled Raven, and HBO's upcoming Fall/Winter Schedule with the best daved til the end.

I dont know how to embed non youtube versions of vids so will just post the Link

I'll also use this opportunity to shamelessly bump my User Group I promise to keep it updated as long as I get at least one other member!

AWESOME! more books to read though ;_; but I hope they don't kill sean bean in this one...he get the raw deal too much.

Sean Hebner:
AWESOME! more books to read though ;_; but I hope they don't kill sean bean in this one...he get the raw deal too much.

Read the books. its well worth it. The best Adult Fantasy there is.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here