Ubisoft DRM Authentication Servers Go Down

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Constantly monitored = there are some morons there constantly staring at servers.

NEVER buy a DRM-protected PC game. NEVER. Buy games for PS3, for 360.

Lukeje:
May I be the first to call `sabotage'? This all seems a little too convenient...

Honestly if was a hacker team it wouldn't matter.
Ubisoft's little big brother scheme was pointless and doomed to fail from the start.

They really don't need to hold that much control over a game, pirates might lose you money but this loses you customers... kinda the a pirate might snag two games but buy five down the line, a ticked off customer buys one and never buys another again.

Vern:
The only option they have is switching solely to console development, or making a team with the sole purpose of monitoring cracks. Checking each and every google link related to *game* + crack to see if something bypassed their system. If it did, they'll have to fix it. It's sad, and speaking as a PC gamer who has spent over $160 on games this year, I think it's dead. The PC is a far superior gaming console, but all you asshole pirates killed it. The thought that "Well they rammed the game with DRM, so I'll pirate it!" will only lead to more severe DRM, which will only lead to more pirates. Pay the people for the fucking game, they spent years of their life making it, pay for it if you want to play it. Stop using the argument that if they put DRM in it, I'll just pirate it. It'll only make things worse down the line, and I think we might be past the point of no return. Pay for the game and enjoy it. Maybe if enough people buy it, they'll stop seeing us all as pirates. Christ.

Go to Steam store, look at Coming soon:

R.U.S.E.- Strategy, so it's a PC game.
DoW II: Chaos Rising- Expansion to a PC exclusive RTS
Order of War: Challenge- RTS, so PC.
Dragon Age Origins: Awakening Expansion- Out on consoles too, but a PC game in my eyes.
Civ V- PC, duh.
Nuclear Dawn- Didn't that start as a mod?
Plain Sight- PC for now, coming to other platforms later, as it should be. Looks like a little indie game or something
MUD TV- Another indie PC game?

Splinter cell- yeah, console game. It's only one.
Super Meat Boy- Not sure about this. I hear it's on XBLA, too, but it seems fine to me.

Not dead, at least quite yet.

I'm cheering for a win for pirates. Then leaving quickly.

Lord_Gremlin:
Constantly monitored = there are some morons there constantly staring at servers.

Because when one of their systems go down, like, say, PSN, you can still play your... oh, wait, right.

HA!

I think that concisely summarizes gamer responses to that.

Eat it Ubisoft

I just have one thing to say about this: BWAAAAAAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJJAJAJAJAJAJA... this is the funniest botch Ubisoft has had as a development company. It can't possibly get worse for them from here... only if the game gets cracked... oh wait.

Seriously though, let's just hope they learn their lesson and try for once to rectify and send this idiot ball of a DRM down the drain

guardian001:
So not only has AC2 already been cracked, but the DRM servers that let paying customers play the game are also down.

Well done Ubisoft. You sure showed those pirates not to mess with you.

Basically this, what is the point of DRM. Just stop it, and enjoy the slight increase in sales.

It does need to be mentioned that, to Ubisoft's credit, there are no working cracks out yet.

The need to be online has been circumvented, but that's not really the mainstay of their protection scheme. Downloading updated files from their server once you pass certain trigger areas as you complete the game is.

And that could take some time to crack.

Fortunately this is such a universally hated system that even those who wanted to play Assassin's Creed II badly enough to buy it are returning their purchases now, and when the protection gets cracked likely wont matter.

If the servers go down in an MMO you get free day of game play. What do you get if you can't play the game you've already paid full price? A free DLC?

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha for this I'm gonna pirate every single ubisoft game out there.
lost all that time playing AC2, whats the point in PAYING for somthing just so you're not able to play it!

JEBWrench:

Lord_Gremlin:

Because when one of their systems go down, like, say, PSN, you can still play your... oh, wait, right.

If PSN goes down, I can still play all my games. It went down dozens of times, by the way. Perhaps you're referring to leap-year bug in fat PS3 OS which caused them all to malfunction during March 1 st? It's not a problem and it's not PSN related.

7ru7h:

commasplice:
I don't think he was so much advocating DRM as he was saying that the shareholders wanting to stop piracy is understandable...

Again, I understand that. But how do you think those shareholders will react now that the time, money and effort put into creating, implementing, maintaining and spinning the DRM were pointless? Sure, they are trying to stop pirates, but in the process, they alienated a good section of their fan base, and probably turned a good section away from them (all while not stopping piracy in the slightest).

Uh... I hope you realize that I wasn't disagreeing with any of those points. In fact, I was just trying to tell you that what's-his-face wasn't either. He was saying that it's understandable that someone would want to protect their intellectual property, not that the measures they took to do so were sane in any sense of the word.

Hiphophippo:
You lease physical game content too, so you know. Just because you spend money on a hard copy doesn't make it yours.

True. There's a difference, though. If I own a physical copy, Ubisoft or Valve or whoever can't bust down my door, take the disk out of my Xbox and snap it in half. However, if the only copy of the game I have in my possession exists digitally and is linked to an account in Publisher X's system, they can ban/delete that account any time they want and take away the games I paid for. Likewise, I don't need to log in or get permission to run offline games on my Xbox, so if the game's publisher goes out of business, I don't have to wait for them to create a "no pirate check" patch to play my games.

These arguments have been made countless times by other people and the fact is that it's all hypothetical. I don't know that they'd refuse to let me play for some mild transgression or that they would neglect to release a patch if they went belly-up. However, I don't know that they wouldn't either and I, personally, am reluctant to shell out hundreds of dollars banking on the possibility that they'll do the right thing because, at the end of the day, they're still a business and they're still looking our for number one.

You think Steam's the most convenient thing ever? That's great, I'm glad it works for you, have fun with your games. I just want the option to legally bypass all of that, if I so choose.

You think THIS is bad? Just wait 'til Ubisoft takes these servers down in a year or less--because you KNOW it's not worth the cost of maintaining these things just to maintain a non-community of single-player gamers--and that PC copy of Assassin's Creed 2 that you paid over $50 for is just a worthless piece of plastic, just like Hellgate: London.

Now that's customer service, folks.

I wonder if anyone will turn around and sue Ubisoft (probably someone in America) for failing to provide the service they have paid for. A game that you cant play after all, is a faulty product.

NickCaligo42:
You think THIS is bad? Just wait 'til Ubisoft takes these servers down in a year or less

That does bring the question of what legal requirements they have to remove the requirement to work.
In the end the DRM thing is just plain stupid, its making piracy more appealing.

Captain Obvious says: Really?!

In all seriousnes, it was logical for something like this to happen and Ubisoft DESERVED this like Blade Runner deserved an Oscar.

Lord_Gremlin:

JEBWrench:

Lord_Gremlin:

If PSN goes down, I can still play all my games. It went down dozens of times, by the way. Perhaps you're referring to leap-year bug in fat PS3 OS which caused them all to malfunction during March 1 st? It's not a problem and it's not PSN related.

My mistake. I thought was a bug in PSN, not the OS.

In all seriousnes, it was logical for something like this to happen and Ubisoft DESERVED this like Blade Runner deserved an Oscar.

You do realize the theatrical release of Blade Runner wasn't very good, right? ;)

JEBWrench:

Lord_Gremlin:

JEBWrench:

Lord_Gremlin:

My mistake. I thought was a bug in PSN, not the OS.

You do realize the theatrical release of Blade Runner wasn't very good, right? ;)

A bug which didnt effect me even tho I have a fat PS3 from launch day in Australia lol.

RicoADF:
I wonder if anyone will turn around and sue Ubisoft (probably someone in America) for failing to provide the service they have paid for. A game that you cant play after all, is a faulty product.

I doubt this will happen. Nobody sued Blizzard back in 2005 when the WoW servers went AWOL on launch day (and subsequent days, as a matter of fact).

Dublin Solo:

RicoADF:

I doubt this will happen. Nobody sued Blizzard back in 2005 when the WoW servers went AWOL on launch day (and subsequent days, as a matter of fact).

True, but AC2 is a SP game which you wouldnt expect that to happen to, not to mention it only takes one person to try.

RicoADF:

Dublin Solo:

RicoADF:

True, but AC2 is a SP game which you wouldnt expect that to happen to, not to mention it only takes one person to try.

Indeed. Then again, I'm pretty sure there's something in the Terms of Use somewhere about not being responsible for server failures. Knowing big corporations, I bet they have checked all the possible back doors!

Dublin Solo:

RicoADF:

See

commasplice:
Well, this is interesting.

When three Texas gamers couldn't get online to play "Call of Duty 4" or "Halo 3" on their Xbox 360s last December, they decided to sue.

In a class-action lawsuit filed January 4, gamers Keith Kay, Orlando Perez and Shannon Smith claim that they and millions of other Xbox Live users suffered damages in excess of $5 million.

Props to Farinhir over on the Ubisoft forums for providing the link.

ASnogarD:
Thats why I simply do not consider any Ubisoft published title to be a PC title, I have jumped through enough hoops regarding DRM, and will just simply allow my wallet to speak on my behalf.

Wont do much good though as the majority of PC gamers will roll over and play dead on command for thier publishing masters.

Have hope.

Enough people boycotted Spore, the PC version of Mass Effect, and the Sims 2 EPs with SecuROM that EA stopped using traditional SecuROM and activation limits. Note that the disc versions of Mass Effect 2 and The Sims 3 don't have activation limits and only have disc checks for their copy protection. (I think the download-only versions do have more than that, but I'm not sure as I never download games I can get on a disc.)

And Ubisoft should have looked at what EA went through before they tried to pull not only the same BS, but worse. The fact that they're simply so head-up-rear-end about this whole thing simply astonishes me.

Yes, there will always be suckers and apologists who will provide a base profit for certain games, especially big name ones, but protest with your wallet (and reasoned opinions, but those work less than money) and the corporate moneygrubbers will notice.

See

commasplice:
Well, this is interesting.

When three Texas gamers couldn't get online to play "Call of Duty 4" or "Halo 3" on their Xbox 360s last December, they decided to sue.

In a class-action lawsuit filed January 4, gamers Keith Kay, Orlando Perez and Shannon Smith claim that they and millions of other Xbox Live users suffered damages in excess of $5 million.

Props to Farinhir over on the Ubisoft forums for providing the link.

[/quote]

Wow, I'm speechless, really. I'm pretty sure that got Microsoft's attention alright. Let's see how that goes for them.

Dublin Solo:
Wow, I'm speechless, really. I'm pretty sure that got Microsoft's attention alright. Let's see how that goes for them.

Never underestimate the audacity of a guy who knows a good lawyer.

Oh boy, it's looking like the Ubisoft forums are down now, too. Is it just me?

Edit: Seems they're back up. Huh.

Edit II: And back down. Huh.

commasplice:
Oh boy, it's looking like the Ubisoft forums are down now, too. Is it just me?

Yep, they're down. Apparently, the servers were under an attack...

http://www.videogamer.com/news/ubisoft_confirms_server_attack.html

Ubisoft has revealed that the downtime of its DRM servers over the weekend was caused by an attack, making it difficult for gamers to play both Assassin's Creed II and Silent Hunter 5 on PC.

"Apologies to anyone who couldn't play ACII or SH5 yesterday," said the publisher in a tweet. "Servers were attacked which limited service from 2:30pm to 9pm Paris time."

Given the widespread negativity of Ubisoft's latest DRM policy - requiring users to authenticate the game over the internet - it wouldn't come as a surprise if the attack was orchestrated by members of the PC gaming community in protest.

I am pretty pleased with my DRM boycott now.

*dance*

Abedeus:

"Apologies to anyone who couldn't play ACII or SH5 yesterday," said the publisher in a tweet. "Servers were attacked which limited service from 2:30pm to 9pm Paris time."

So, what, does that mean they fixed everything? Are the games playable again?

BlindMessiah94:

Woodsey:
AHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

I knew it! I fucking knew it!

Idiots.

Petition here: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ew15dl94&1

Yeah because online petitions always accomplish something.

Ooh I know next let's "boycott" ubisoft.

You're right, we should all just ignore it and do fuck-all. We might as well all get bum-fucked by some ridiculous system.

I highly doubt it'll work, but its more of an effort then I see you putting in.

DarkSaber:

dochmbi:

Amnestic:
It's just a little bit embarassing at this point.

Meanwhile, pirates (I assume) get to play their cracked version without issue. Nice job Ubisoft, really.

Not so. AC 2 hasn't been cracked yet, don't know how long it will take.

AC2 HAS been craccked, and has been for a few days now.

No it has not been cracked, so far there is only a half-assed crack which when combined with a save game file will allow you to run around but you can't do any missions.

Icehearted:

7ru7h:

Icehearted:

Maybe it's because I'm thick or I'm somewhat sleep deprived (I'm betting that last one), but I don't see how any of that Bioshock stuff related to Steam.

As for Steam's "DRM" being similar to Ubi's, I really have to call shenanigans. First, because Steam's "DRM" is quite nice to the customer: you pay for the game, download it, then it phones home once, and you are done. Anything above that is the game's fault, not Steam's. Second, you can play offline, you just have to make sure you let the game phone home that first time, then restart in offline mode. Finally, the "virtual ownership crap" as you put it, really is not all that different with Steam than with a physical copy, the only difference is that for Steam you have to make the backup for yourself (and if you think you really OWN any game you've bought in the last 5+ years, you are fooling yourself).

I like that long post snip trick... gotta remember that :)

I have, in my hands, a copy of Mirror's edge for the PC, I also have Mass Effect 2, GTA4, hoo boy I have a lot of games, and they're on a physical disc, of which I actually own and can maintain of my own accord, without having to dial in anything, without having to get connected to a server, I just input a key, or put a disc in my console, and off I go. That's ownership of a tangible property.

Digital distro means you own squat. You pay for it, but they can deny you play at their leisure. I'm going to reach a bit (because it's late, and I'm way too tired to think good and hard of an example in gaming even if I know they're out there) and point to that Kindle fiasco where Amazon basically decided to reach out and delete a book people had paid for. Again, I know it's a reach, but the principal is the same. The complacency of 'you don't actually own the games you buy' is what permits this kind of thing Ubisoft and Steam have created to permeate the market much deeper than they should have.

I own a copy of God of War 2. No activation required, no negotiations, the game is mine to play and enjoy. The intellectual property may not be, but the game is. That's the line they're blurring, and I mean no offense when I say this, but statements like the one you've made prove they've been succeeding at blurring this line with their customers.

Again with the long post... sorry I'm verbose (though this is a topic that bothers me quite a bit), but the sleepier I get, the more long-winded I can become.

I never said that I agreed with the non-ownership of games, I just stated the fact that on any piece of software "buy" is merely rented. If you read the EULA on pretty much any software it states that you don't actually own it.

Anyway, I highly doubt that Steam would disable games games that users have paid for, since they are a much smaller company than Amazon, and probably wouldn't be able to navigate the shitstorm of bad PR. Hell, IIRC, even if your account becomes VAC banned they don't stop you from playing your games, you just can't play on VAC enabled servers.

As for owning the game more with a physical copy, that's debatable. Depending on the game, you'd have to have the game dial home to activate it, and if they shut down the game servers, you no longer own that game. You could use a crack or something to get past that since you do legally own the game, but what's to stop you from doing that with a game you backed up that you bought with Steam? I buy almost all of my games via Steam because of the convenience, but I back them up to DVDs so I don't have to waste my bandwidth. By your arguments, by backing up my game to a physical medium, I now own it since I can just copy back and play.

Convenient. Fast. Expected. Highly amusing. And puts a smile on your face. I know, it put one on mine.

Now, to put it in a picture.

I'm totally surprised this happened.
No, really.

Soooo only about 8 hours from the US release and the game is still down. Oh boy this is getting REALLY interesting. Of course knowing Ubisoft they will just wait for a scene release and use the crack as a patch like they did a few years ago.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here