Warner Bros. Sued for Pirating Anti-Piracy Technology

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

That was like the ULTIMATE irony...

Asehujiko:
Sadly, Warner is going to win this suit because they're the huge corporation with near infinite pockets.

Sadly? This is a case of a corporation suing another corporation. And lets remember this is over anti-pirating technology, the ultimate evil. If Warner sinks the krauts with a drawn out court case, then they won't be making any anti-piracy tech. Sounds like a Win for us :)

I find it interesting that MPV took so long to file. I think there's more to this story than meets the eye.

Also, note the mention of a mis-file of the patent using a patent name owned by Warner above. I wouldn't be surprised if WB submitted their own patent for the tech after the confidential disclosure from MPV in order to secure patent rights. This assumes MPV isn't the one pulling something here.

An example: Perhaps MPV didn't get the patent fully registered before disclosing to WB. Now WB goes and patents the same thing, using their bottomless pockets to expedite the process, (or something along those lines.) Whether through this or other means, WB may have succeeded in giving themselves the legal foothold they need to claim legitimacy.

Now, I hate WB (and many similar criminal-corporations) so much that I typically avoid their media, even when it's 'free'. Nonetheless, I expect WB will win this, even if they deserve to lose it.

-

Also, in response to Blue-State's post above, many of the anti-piracy technologies may be a fumble-fingered and frustrating for legit users in their designs, but the technology incorporated is at the request of media-controlling corporations. It's Warner's fault (and that of similar corporations) that they use the technology, not MPV's. It's Warner's fault that they criminalize such a wide variety of uses as piracy, not MPV's. And it's Warner who is apparently going and practicing hypocrisy in regards to their anti-piracy values.

MPV may build the weapons, but Warner is the one who decides where and when to point and shoot.

Mechsoap:

HAHAHAHAHA! Thank you Mechsoap. This picture made my day.
Yes! Now facepalm has multiplayer co-op.

Omg, the irony in this is just... beatifull on an odd way.

Amazed no one's made this joke yet

Ba Dum ch

oh the irony...

Now this is so way beyond irony, a word to express this will never be invented... So, so incredibly dumb, hypocritical, idiotic and a million other adjectives at once.

I'll have surrealistic dreams about this.

I do...I really do.

Straying Bullet:
Talk about being hypocritical.

I hope they get owned and pwned at this one, they fully deserve if it if the news is true. If they are trying so hard to crack US down, they deserve the same treatment. No excuses. A full blown court.

BRING IT!

I agree, if you're going to be big brother, you can't break the rules you're enforcing!

Now watch as everything made by Warner Brothers is pirated.
Then they complain.
Then pirates mention this.
Then Warner Brothers cries, and tries to deny it.

Seriously, this is just... hilarious.

Counterwise:

joshthor:
well thats ironic. more ironic than the time i pirated a movie about pirates

What might be more ironic is you getting a ban, because accepting piracy in these forums equals suicide.

wow. sarcasm just does not compute with you does it?

joshthor:

Counterwise:

joshthor:

What might be more ironic is you getting a ban, because accepting piracy in these forums equals suicide.

Sarcasm works only if the others understand it. Explain to me, what makes your post sarcastic?
Your tone of voice?

Warner Bros. - PIRATES!

Made some changes to the logo. I was going to send them an email, ask them if they like it, and if they'd like to use it from now on.

Counterwise:

joshthor:

Counterwise:

joshthor:

Sarcasm works only if the others understand it. Explain to me, what makes your post sarcastic?
Your tone of voice?

yes. also, the other guy got it.

GideonB:

joshthor:

Same here. Just ironic isn't it? xD Twats. They go on about piracy and they go pirate themselves.

Sup dawg, I put some pirate in your anti-pirate so you can pirate while you pirate... pirate.

Optimus Hagrid:
Cartoon Network used to be good. I would like it if they lost lots of money.

Adult Swim could suffer though, and I dont want that gone. Where else will Fox animated shows go to be reborn?

I hope this is true.

I want it to be true.

Please, be true!

Kwil:
If your anti-pirating technology was pirated, doesn't that mean that it's not really anti-pirating technology?

Maybe they had super pirating technology which could bypass the German anti-pirating system. But then the piracy would have to pirate and the whole anti-piracy pirating would pirate on itself!

...PIRATING!

Oh, what delicious, delicious irony.

Blue-State:

Asehujiko:
Sadly, Warner is going to win this suit because they're the huge corporation with near infinite pockets.

Sadly? This is a case of a corporation suing another corporation. And lets remember this is over anti-pirating technology, the ultimate evil. If Warner sinks the krauts with a drawn out court case, then they won't be making any anti-piracy tech. Sounds like a Win for us :)

I don't see how a precedent of "big corporations are allowed to use any and all means, even criminal to protect their market share." is a win for anybody except warner.

Oh sweet irony.

MadPaladin:
I find it interesting that MPV took so long to file. I think there's more to this story than meets the eye.

Also, note the mention of a mis-file of the patent using a patent name owned by Warner above. I wouldn't be surprised if WB submitted their own patent for the tech after the confidential disclosure from MPV in order to secure patent rights. This assumes MPV isn't the one pulling something here.

An example: Perhaps MPV didn't get the patent fully registered before disclosing to WB. Now WB goes and patents the same thing, using their bottomless pockets to expedite the process, (or something along those lines.) Whether through this or other means, WB may have succeeded in giving themselves the legal foothold they need to claim legitimacy.

Now, I hate WB (and many similar criminal-corporations) so much that I typically avoid their media, even when it's 'free'. Nonetheless, I expect WB will win this, even if they deserve to lose it.

-

Also, in response to Blue-State's post above, many of the anti-piracy technologies may be a fumble-fingered and frustrating for legit users in their designs, but the technology incorporated is at the request of media-controlling corporations. It's Warner's fault (and that of similar corporations) that they use the technology, not MPV's. It's Warner's fault that they criminalize such a wide variety of uses as piracy, not MPV's. And it's Warner who is apparently going and practicing hypocrisy in regards to their anti-piracy values.

MPV may build the weapons, but Warner is the one who decides where and when to point and shoot.

Hmm, this is true, however, and please do correct me if I'm wrong, if MPV can prove the idea was theirs to begin with the patent claimed by Warner is invalid, ie. if MPV have the documents etc. to say they worked on it from xx/xx/xx to xx/xx/xx and sent it to Warner on date xx/xx/xx after which Warner patented the idea.

Optimus Hagrid:

Cartoon Network is owned by Turner Broadcasting, not Warner Bros.

I stand corrected. I forgot they merged.

Low Key:

Optimus Hagrid:

Damn, I was hoping to correct you on the merging. It has been a slow day :|

I wouldn't get too excited yet, this is short on details. Just because the accusation was made does not mean that it's accurate. When your dealing with a situation where a couple of companies got together in "secret" for a super-private demonstration/screening of a new technology/technique it's anyone's guess what was agreed to, and what money may or may not have changed hands, and under what circumstances. We really don't know what the truth is at this point, for all we know the company that invented the tech decided it wants to try and get more money after the fact.

As far as how effective the technology is, well it seems to me that it's mostly aimed at people who "pirate" first run movies by sneaking in a video recorder or other kind of camera, record the movie playing, burn it onto a DVD, and then sell the lousy copy for $5 off of a blanket at a flea market or whatever. Theaters are supposed to be responsible for ensuring this doesn't happen, so I'd imagine the idea is that by obtaining a pirated copy the company could go after the theater for damages for not being secure enough.

It seems like a very "niche" security measure since honestly you neither want to force theaters to become so draconian that they chase customers away due to security harassment, or put the theaters themselves out of business so noone will show your movie. Good for a specific kind of case, but not all that good for general anti-piracy use. Meaning that I can't see a massive "OMG" fortune having been involved here to begin with.

Optimus Hagrid:

Low Key:

Optimus Hagrid:

Damn, I was hoping to correct you on the merging. It has been a slow day :|

Don't worry. It won't be the last time I stick my foot in my mouth.

TheMoatMonster:

Warner Bros. - PIRATES!

Made some changes to the logo. I was going to send them an email, ask them if they like it, and if they'd like to use it from now on.

i think you should :3, as its awesome, the irony in the titel alone made me giggle, the story made me lol, hard, and dear god PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!. let then get sued for a shit load of money

Kwil:
If your anti-pirating technology was pirated, doesn't that mean that it's not really anti-pirating technology?

You've got an invisible cloak situation here, it ain't invisible but it (hopefully) makes whatever it covers invisible. =]

So they pirated anti-piracy tech.

The irony is delicious...

PFFFT!! HAHAHAHAHAHAAH!! BWAHAHAHAAHAHAH!! Oh GOD this is better than television! Hell this is probably better than the last movie I pirated (about two years ago, as I have no time for movies now) oh geez, I can't wait to hear more about this, thank you escapist crew for finding these odd little things and draging them kicking and screaming to my attention.

Warner bros, welcome to the poor house.

KABLAM! In your face!

I hope Warner goes bankrupt over this.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook