New Commodore 64 PC Gets Ready To Run

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Wait, what? Looking at those specs, that's not a very good processor or GPU, but massive amounts of RAM and HD space.

Wow... Hardware components will be kind of a overkill to the games it will play... I mean... 1TB HDD... JUST FOR C64 GAMES?!?!?!?!!?

OK I am as nostalgic for the C64 as the next person. (Oh lord, the memories) but what IS the point of this?

From what I'm getting out of the article the machine is a modern PC with modern capabilities, just in an old fashioned chassis. So it's a basic modern PC with a retro casing? I'm failing to see the point of this besides a conversation piece.

Oh sweet!

I didn't have a C64 as a kid but two of my mates did and I love the music / sound - very unique!

I'd have one of these if I was in the market for a new PC!

Wardy

Daipire:

SaintWaldo:
The heart above my avatar just got 10x larger!

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville the Escapist forums they say that the Grinch's Saint Waldo's small heart grew three 10 sizes that day."

OT: But yeah, that's pretty darn cool.

Thanks for filling that in, I was definitely referencing the Seuss. :)

The_root_of_all_evil:
Oh. MY. GOD!

Do Want!

snip...

Even more amazing that I played every single one of those.
Though my most favorite are not there.

Loved to play Elite with together with my dad or Koronis Rift.
Now that I remember it, Eidolon and especially Rescue from Fractalus were truly the first games that literally made me freak out from being scared (amazing pixel power).

But back OT, isn't there proposed offering pretty much that what Apple has been doing in the last years?

unacomn:
Why can't I win the lottery just once?

... why would you need to more than once?

Tom Goldman:

Commodore USA is taking their current business model of creating all-in-one products, basically laptops without screens, and reapplying it to the form factor that made them a household name even decades later.

Commodore USA has nothing to do with the Commodore International Limited. The original Commodore company went bankrupt in 1994 and fell apart in several smaller companies which were later bought out by other companies that went bankrupt as well, and the rights to the name have shifted about since then.

Commodore USA are not a (former) household name, they are a completely new company that just nicked a name to make themselves instantly recognizable although they have absolutely nothing to the with that names history.

Hence...

Tom Goldman:
While this seems like something that should have been done long ago, there were apparently rights issues that only cleared up recently.

Those rights issues being Commodore USA had no rights to the name to begin with since they were in no way related to Commodore IL.

HEY TAXI! PAD 4 PLEASE.

Loading...ready...run!

I am squee-ing with delight.

You know Commodore has been making current gen computers for ages right? They weren't in the original cases though, they where just styled like them and included loads of the old Commadore games.

[quote="unacomn" post="7.229066.7928060"]Great, now I can say that my PC is less powerful than a C64.
LOL mine too

And in related news, the entire crew of Loading Ready Run explode with joy :P (Like literal explosions, not just the hopping up and down kind.)

I was a poor family so my first console was a NES, (not counting our Atari, but I only remember being so young that I liked ET for the references to Reeses Pieces.) So when the NES was still new, I got one and we had it up until the N64 was out. I missed the genesis, the SNES, the C64 and others. Infact, it kind of brings to mind how little my friends were into gaming as I can not remember any of them ever owning anything more then a Sega Genesis. But hey, I lucked out! In 1999, I was able to get a brand new Dreamcast!

They've always interested me. I might get the opportunity to use one now.

Kinda cool, but I can't see the point in building a keyboard into a computer. Why not just a barebones or pizza box style thing, rather than one in which a small componant breaking could destroy the entire thing.

Ahhh. I feel likem y childhood is been brought back alive again! ...and I feel so old!

samsonguy920:

tehroc:
So it's like a PC Console?

Think you might have nailed it on the head. Now if it included the ROM for Basic, too, the dream would be complete.

load"*",8,1

ready.
run!

-respects to Graham and Paul and Co., but also respects to me. The C64 was my candy growing up.

Respects given man, the very first comp I ever touched, which for a geek is pretty much up there *if not above* first time having sex. I just cant believe this is happening, I have a old 64 carcass lying around because I was going to build a custom comp inside it, but I could not bring my self to cut it apart. Man I hope they still make the keys clack/pop when pushed, that was such a lovely sound, just like breaking someones fingers.......I mean yeah.

Holy Awesome Batman! I remember playing my dad's old C64 that I found in a box up in our attic, it was great fun. Hopefully this'll be even better.

AngryMongoose:
Kinda cool, but I can't see the point in building a keyboard into a computer. Why not just a barebones or pizza box style thing, rather than one in which a small componant breaking could destroy the entire thing.

You're missing the point. It's not meant as "hey, look at our new computer, isn't it great?", it's purely to make children of the 80s have a huge collective geekgasm. In that respect, mission accomplished.

That said, I don't disagree. It's not a practical thing, for a start they were an absolute bugger to type on but... well, look at the reaction from anyone over the age of about 25. I'd get one of those in a heartbeat if I could justify it.

I can't tell if everyone in this thread is being sarcastic or just is confused about what this is. You're not going to be reliving anything other than the feeling of typing on that massive RSI-inducing keyboard. It's just a PC stuffed into a C64 case mod. It runs Windows 7 (or Linux I guess) and you won't be playing any old C64 games unless you install a C64 emulator, which you can do now. This is another stupid Commodore-stamped gimmick in a long line of stupid Commodore-stamped gimmicks.

I hate to break it to you but the experience of the original C64 can never be regained because it was novel back then. Now it's just nostalgia.

Lissa-QUON:
OK I am as nostalgic for the C64 as the next person. (Oh lord, the memories) but what IS the point of this?

From what I'm getting out of the article the machine is a modern PC with modern capabilities, just in an old fashioned chassis. So it's a basic modern PC with a retro casing? I'm failing to see the point of this besides a conversation piece.

I have to agree, much as the nostalgia washed over me while reading this. (The C64 was basically my home computer from 1983 until 1993, when I got my first PC.) I might make an exception if it includes Commodore BASIC, the first programming language I ever learned:

HELLO WORLD
HELLO WORLD
HELLO WORLD
HELLO WORLD
HELLO WO--

? SYNTAX ERROR

READY.

CUnk:

I hate to break it to you but the experience of the original C64 can never be regained because it was novel back then. Now it's just nostalgia.

Pffft. You live in your dreams, I'll live in mine.

Maybe another codger out there can remind me: is the C64 the platform that basically started software piracy? I remember it being ridiculously easy to copy disks, even for young children, and soon every 7-12 year old kid on my block had the exact same library of games. I remember the passwords in manuals (black text on dark grey paper) and the rotating cipher wheel some of the SSI games were packaged with as forms of write-protection.

Ahhh, the memories. Unfortunately, this thing is probably just a rip off.

Falseprophet:
Maybe another codger out there can remind me: is the C64 the platform that basically started software piracy? I remember it being ridiculously easy to copy disks, even for young children, and soon every 7-12 year old kid on my block had the exact same library of games. I remember the passwords in manuals (black text on dark grey paper) and the rotating cipher wheel some of the SSI games were packaged with as forms of write-protection.

I don't know about other countries, but it's pretty safe to say that practically there wasn't any legal versions of Commodore-programs in Finland.

I guess most people here thought that it was completely natural that one disk had more than one game. And that the names of the games were written on the disks with a pencil.

It's probably the same thing in Asia right now. They just buy movies and music from a bazaar/or something. They probably don't realize that it's kinda illegal.

Unknower:

You just made my day. That was one of my top ten favorite C64 games.

batuea:

samsonguy920:

tehroc:
So it's like a PC Console?

Think you might have nailed it on the head. Now if it included the ROM for Basic, too, the dream would be complete.

load"*",8,1

ready.
run!

-respects to Graham and Paul and Co., but also respects to me. The C64 was my candy growing up.

Respects given man, the very first comp I ever touched, which for a geek is pretty much up there *if not above* first time having sex. I just cant believe this is happening, I have a old 64 carcass lying around because I was going to build a custom comp inside it, but I could not bring my self to cut it apart. Man I hope they still make the keys clack/pop when pushed, that was such a lovely sound, just like breaking someones fingers.......I mean yeah.

Let the clacking begin!

ultimateownage:
You know Commodore has been making current gen computers for ages right? They weren't in the original cases though, they where just styled like them and included loads of the old Commadore games.

That is very true, but the fact is Commodore has been mostly marketing its PCs to places outside of the US. The fact that this homage to the past is getting pushed in the US is what is getting people excited.

*nostalgic tear for Batman music*
I never did beat that damn game.

Also: SYS64738 > Return Button

Why the hell does this have an Atom? There's no good reason they couldn't cram-a-lam a Core 2 in a case that big. Apple did. That much RAM and hard disk space on an Atom PC is just overkill. Especially the hard disk, which is basically only useful if you buy a lot of high-end games (which this thing can't play) through digital distribution channels.

Also I'm curious what they'll do with the keyboard. Surely they'll have to change some of the keys to be more like modern systems, although the lack of a caps lock would be a welcome change. Nobody needs that anymore except to be an asshole on the Internet.

Falseprophet:

I wouldn't call it "easy"; more than half the games I've found at yard sales are pirated, sure, but roughly half of them are cracked versions complete with fancy-pants demo screens representing the L33T HAXXRZ responsible, meaning they couldn't have been copied by just anyone. In fact, a lot of developers used a special copy protection scheme that prevented early disk-copy programs from duplicating the disks... although by the time COPY-II came around, they had figured out a way around it, and thank God for that, since said copy protection scheme also had a tendency to break the drives...

Reguardless of power I would never buy that because it looks so very very fugly.

The_root_of_all_evil:

CUnk:

Hah! Well you enjoy your BASIC and checksums while I fly my jet to my tropical island inhabited by tame dinosaurs on one half and adoring scantily clad Amazons on the other.

You bastards! you've updated an old Computer and brought it back tot he modern day, you've created a time warp!

This is interesting to hear and I'd like to see how it goes. Not much to say though since the C64 was before my day.

CUnk:

The_root_of_all_evil:

CUnk:

Hah! Well you enjoy your BASIC and checksums while I fly my jet to my tropical island inhabited by tame dinosaurs on one half and adoring scantily clad Amazons on the other.

Yeah, and make sure that the computer lock on the dinosaur cages isn't loose...oh...you left the computer with me ;)

Heh. My Dad programmed in BASIC on one of these while he was in college, I think. Well, not one of these specifically..

Fearzone:
What would make me laugh is the Commodore Vic-PC20 with modern innards. I betcha my old one is in a closet somewhere at the folks house. Now THAT I think I might get. Besides the color is better looking.

*grins* with the tape deck XD XD

Jfswift:

Fearzone:
What would make me laugh is the Commodore Vic-PC20 with modern innards. I betcha my old one is in a closet somewhere at the folks house. Now THAT I think I might get. Besides the color is better looking.

*grins* with the tape deck XD XD

LOL yeah make the tape deck a blu-ray burner or something.

Yahtzee is happy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or