Player Creates Working Computer in Minecraft

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

UberMore:
"Are you listening, Pig?"

This is quite awesome, and very complicated to my simple mind.

Best bit.

You could legitimately do this as a college project but imagnine presenting it to a panel when sounder of pigs strolls onto the scene.

Holy crap... honestly!

In terms of gaming, that is probably one of the most amazing things I have ever seen! That guy in the video must be seriously, seriously smart to be able to do that! He also must have tons of time on his hands! Minecraft, please don't stop amazing me, you've done well so far.

Well, time to stock up on canned bread. The Matrix is upon us!

on a related note, how much does Minecraft cost? I'm looking into possibly buying it.

Formica Archonis:

gl1koz3:
Pigs in an ALU. Now that's funny.

As long as it isn't goddamn creepers.

Talk about the CPU blowing up...

For pure neatness, this is pretty awesome.

For entertainment though, NOTHING beats that guy burning his house down.

That was funny!

SirBryghtside:
Reminds me of this:

What he seems to have built there is a Mechanical computer. This guy has built an electronic one.

But can it run Crysis?

(Seriously though, I've never played Minecraft, but I can't begin to imagine how long that took.)

gl1koz3:
Pigs in an ALU. Now that's funny.

I don't think we can call that debugging :)

OT: That's super impressive. Damn.

Ah.... College... Using three bread boards, a collection of IC's and a mess of wires we were able to make an 8-bit ALU. It was not half as awesome as this.

Formica Archonis:

Greg Tito:
The project is far from complete as he plans to add RAM and registers to make it a legitimate computer.

And then port Minecraft to it.

And then in that Minecraft he can start building a computer....

So.... when is he gonna port Minecraft to the computer in Minecraft?

I want the minecraft version of this.

This reminds me of the Turing computer built in Dwarfcraft (edit; I really would like that to happen but, I meant Dwarf Fortress). That was insane...

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8269

"Map Description:

Year 35 of Construction

The Dwarven Computer is finally complete! I've tested it and it functions as expected, though its performance is really lousy.

You can see my design manuscript at http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AdISzBuNg6ZWZGd0d2t4YjlfMjJ0ejlzc2dnaA&hl=en

This monumental build contains 672 pumps, 2000 logs, 8500 mechanisms and thousands of other assort bits and knobs like doors and rock blocks."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/194434/dwarf_fortress_player_creates_a_working_ingame_digital_computer.html

http://www.geekosystem.com/dwarf-fortress-turing-machine-computer/

SirBryghtside:
Reminds me of this:

I was thinking of something similar. I've seen LBP calculators too, and some kind of weird LBP RPG thing.

I just hope this guy doesn't burn his computer down like that guy did to his house.

Pandora92:
I'm getting deja-vu, especially with the responses posted in this thread...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.235652-Man-Builds-a-Computer-Inside-Minecraft

Rofl.

Quite so I shall repeat what I said the first time.

"Right so in the video there's red crap everywhere.

What is the cpu powered by the BLOOD OF ORPHANS?!"

Jeez I really gotta check out this Minecraft game when I get some extra money.

I don't get any credit for passing this on?
Oh wait, I sent the link to Logan. But I did it first! I want a badge. >:3

Double post, mah bad.

First real step towards making a virtual reality.

A computer within a computer sounds like a VERY interesting premise.

... so, that being said, WHAT THE HELL IS MINECRAFT AND WHY IS IT SO POPULAR LATELY?

I saw this a couple of days ago. Its pretty cool.

Formica Archonis:

Greg Tito:
The project is far from complete as he plans to add RAM and registers to make it a legitimate computer.

And that would take up this year's quota for batshit lunacy.

You know, if Minecraft gives you enough flexibility, and this guy has enough time on his hands, he could actually create a full-size computer capable running Super Mario Bros. in Minecraft.

I have got to try this game...

EDIT: I mean Minecraft.

CaptainCrunch:
That's the truly evil thing about Minecraft - such a simple game can become so ridiculous given only time and effort. It's like if Plants vs. Zombies could have baby kittens that do math. Takes me back to the mid-90s, playing with Widget Workshop as a young dork.

NeedAUserName:
That must have taken him ages to do. Imagine doing it and finding out you made a mistake...

There are importer scripts that let you use PNG files to make each layer, so it was probably a bit easier than digging up a world and building the whole thing, while fighting off skeletons riding spiders.

If he did it the hard way, he'd be alot more awesome!

Kenko:

CaptainCrunch:
That's the truly evil thing about Minecraft - such a simple game can become so ridiculous given only time and effort. It's like if Plants vs. Zombies could have baby kittens that do math. Takes me back to the mid-90s, playing with Widget Workshop as a young dork.

NeedAUserName:
That must have taken him ages to do. Imagine doing it and finding out you made a mistake...

There are importer scripts that let you use PNG files to make each layer, so it was probably a bit easier than digging up a world and building the whole thing, while fighting off skeletons riding spiders.

If he did it the hard way, he'd be alot more awesome!

I'm sure he still had to do all the wiring, craft all the redstone NOT gates (torches), and debug the whole thing. It probably still took forever, even with the help of a script to build the framework.

Thats very impressive!

Does anyone know how to get in touch with this guy? I would like to give him kudos and also ask for a capy of the save file XD

I was wondering when someone would make one. If you can may a circuit with it, geeks will make a computer of it.

Niccolo:

Formica Archonis:

Greg Tito:

And that would take up this year's quota for batshit lunacy.

(Looks over news.) Must be a huge quota.

Not a computer.

In all seriousness, this is pretty damn awesome. The only thing I'm worried about is what he'll do when/if he makes it larger than the map allows.

Dude. He built a computer within a computer.

This is some freaking Inception shit.

Greg Tito:
-snip-

I just...seriously? What is wrong with people? And I say that in the nicest possible way because that's incredible (at least to me)!

But is it better than the Starship Enterprise Greg?

I wish I had the time to do this. Oh yeah, and the intellect.

SomeBoredGuy:

In all seriousness, this is pretty damn awesome. The only thing I'm worried about is what he'll do when/if he makes it larger than the map allows.

The map fully generated can reach up to 8 times the surface area of the earth. I think he has enough room.

That... that looks like it took too much time, its cool and all but... wow.

Formica Archonis:

(Looks over news.) Must be a huge quota.

You wouldn't believe how huge. Every year the budget for lunacy has to just about double. Good ol' Jack takes up quite a bit of it, but they had to disbar him from law so he'd use less when we had budget cuts.

Sure he built a computer inside a game, but the fact that said computer will be able to understand a programming language makes this even more awesome.

Godspeed smart person.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or