Russian Media Suggests Modern Warfare 2 Trained Terrorists

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

If they trained on Modern Warfare 2, then they most be like the worst terrorist to have ever lived :|

Amnestic:
Russian Medis Suggests Modern Warfare 2 Trained Terrorists Jumps The Shark.

Simply embarassing what kind of codswallop consistently continues to cruise through into people's TVs.

All Europeans are INSANE....

Incidentally can I blame the British if there's an offensive nuclear missile launch because 'they' made 'Defcon: Everybody Dies'?

SpiderJerusalem:
It's only as dumb as the person playing it wants it to be.

To me, it was pretty much a continuation of Michael Bay, Jerry Bruckheimer and John McTiernan films of the highest order. Consider the beginning of The Rock, with soldiers taking hostages in an American landmark, or any Die Hard movie (specifically part 2) where terrorists hold the lives of innocent passengers and civilians in their hands and in the worst cases do their worst to make sure the heroes are aware of the stakes.

With the not insignificant difference that Die Hard 2 didn't open with John McClaine blowing up an airliner. MW2 puts you, the player... the hero, if you like... behind the gun, and it feels like a cop out that the ending of the level means you, the character, doesn't have to live with the consquences of your actions.

No American

(This may be my favourite misnaming ever!)

...was, as an opener to a clearly cinematic game, an eye opener as far as the stakes were involved. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't fun because it wasn't MEANT TO BE. The story needed a crime heinous enough to build a potential war on, an off-hand comment about something happening in some town wouldn't have been enough for people to actually care about what was happening - unless they were there in the first place with an attitude of "this is dumb, herp derp."

I've never quite been able to put my finger on why I find that level so distasteful. God knows I've played, and enjoyed, other more violent games - e.g. Postal 2, Saints Row 2, any number of GTAs. Possibly because the mayhem is an integral part of those games, whereas No Russian could be pulled - quite literally, given the skip option - and nothing would be lost. It feels cynical. Very cynical.

Which pretty much brings me back to my original point. Activision/Infinity Ward knew what they were doing when they threw that level in, so noone, least of all them, should act surprised if they get flack for it, justified or otherwise. If you wallow in shit you're going to attract flies.

Also, considering that Red Dawn is considered a classic 80's actioner, your example is silly to say the least.

Red Dawn is, as you say, a cult classic, but that doesn't stop it being stupid, though it is an awesome example of 'better dead than red' paranoia.

No, according to BBC the recent attack was done by the Black Widows from the North Caucus They did this because their husbands were killed, and they target innocent civilians for vengeance, and for Islam. Not because of a video game. Ok?

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahidka

Why bother? Tons of media have been over this, WE ALL KNOW WE DON'T CARE ABOUT STUFF LIKE THIS, SO WHY DO YOU GET OUTRAGED ABOUT IT EVERY TIME

That said, yes it is bullshit but you people are acting like entire russia is thinking like this...

Read their disclaimer, Russia Today is not government funded. I have never even heard of Russia today and I live in Russia. Sounds more like a tabloid.
No idea who Walid Fares is too.

I must applaud the person who made the thread about them blaming MW2 for this.
I honestly did not believe they'd have the integrity to actually go ahead and acuse the game of fueling terrorist activity.

Sixcess:

SpiderJerusalem:
It's only as dumb as the person playing it wants it to be.

To me, it was pretty much a continuation of Michael Bay, Jerry Bruckheimer and John McTiernan films of the highest order. Consider the beginning of The Rock, with soldiers taking hostages in an American landmark, or any Die Hard movie (specifically part 2) where terrorists hold the lives of innocent passengers and civilians in their hands and in the worst cases do their worst to make sure the heroes are aware of the stakes.

With the not insignificant difference that Die Hard 2 didn't open with John McClaine blowing up an airliner. MW2 puts you, the player... the hero, if you like... behind the gun, and it feels like a cop out that the ending of the level means you, the character, doesn't have to live with the consquences of your actions.

The character followed in the scene IS NOT the hero, he's an undercover agent (similar to the sequence in the first Modern Warfare that follows the soon to be executed prisoner), who's forced into a horrible situation while trying to stop even worse things from happening.

And you don't even have to pull the trigger once. Not a single time if you don't want to in the airport sequence. Which makes the scene even more chilling - being a person trying to do good and ending up losing your humanity in the process. It's something that's been explored in many, many undercover stories throughout the years.

I've never quite been able to put my finger on why I find that level so distasteful. God knows I've played, and enjoyed, other more violent games - e.g. Postal 2, Saints Row 2, any number of GTAs. Possibly because the mayhem is an integral part of those games, whereas No Russian could be pulled - quite literally, given the skip option - and nothing would be lost. It feels cynical. Very cynical.

I can't help but laugh at the thought of you accepting something as juvenile and pointless as Saints Row and Postal 2 as fine, but then having a hissy fit over a scene in an action game about terrorism that at least tries to bring context and a why to the senselessness of that kind of violence in the first place.

Soon we'll hear that 9/11 was the caused by terrorists seeing the cover for Die Hard on the NES.

SpiderJerusalem:
The character followed in the scene IS NOT the hero, he's an undercover agent (similar to the sequence in the first Modern Warfare that follows the soon to be executed prisoner), who's forced into a horrible situation while trying to stop even worse things from happening.

And you don't even have to pull the trigger once. Not a single time if you don't want to in the airport sequence. Which makes the scene even more chilling - being a person trying to do good and ending up losing your humanity in the process. It's something that's been explored in many, many undercover stories throughout the years.

Except it isn't explored. Hold back and shoot noone or go nuts and kill 'em all - doesn't matter, because the bullet in the head at the end of the level kind of precludes further character development.

I can't help but laugh at the thought of you accepting something as juvenile and pointless as Saints Row and Postal 2 as fine, but then having a hissy fit over a scene in an action game about terrorism that at least tries to bring context and a why to the senselessness of that kind of violence in the first place.

I assure you this isn't a 'hissy fit.' I'm just observing that whilst almost everyone in this thread is coming out with the standard defence of video-games-do-not-cause-real-life-violence, when the point I'm trying to make is that MW2 set out to be controversial so why act surprised or defensive when it comes back on them?

I'll cheerfully defend video gaming against censorship, or media hysteria, or attempts to exert greater control over what can and can't be depicted, but I'm just saying, defending No Russian isn't something that can be done from the moral high ground.

As soon as heard about the bombing in russia I just knew that eventually someone would try to tie it to MW2. I have no proof of me calling it, but I did call it.

It's just so stupid. How the hell is pushing a few buttons on a controller = planting explosives in an airport? Hell, the show Burn Notice teaches more about explosives than any game I've seen so why not point the blame at that show?

(note: not saying to blame Burn Notice, because it's not, just using it as an example of the absurdity of blaming something when there are many more things that are a lot easier to point fingers at)

Yet again, the media is calling video games the root of all evil.

In Soviet Russia, airport bombs YOU!

No but seriously, it's a fucking game people, it doesn't tell you which wires connect to each other, how to set up the explosives or how to rig it to a timer.

Sixcess:

Except it isn't explored. Hold back and shoot noone or go nuts and kill 'em all - doesn't matter, because the bullet in the head at the end of the level kind of precludes further character development.

It's explored far enough - that the player knows the stakes, knows what has happened through first hand account and has REASON to go after the rest of the story. It's similar to a bait-and-switch in a movie or even, again, the first Modern Warfare (which featured a nuclear detonation in the middle east, yet nobody seemed to bat an eye for that one).

I assure you this isn't a 'hissy fit.' I'm just observing that whilst almost everyone in this thread is coming out with the standard defence of video-games-do-not-cause-real-life-violence, when the point I'm trying to make is that MW2 set out to be controversial so why act surprised or defensive when it comes back on them?

I'll cheerfully defend video gaming against censorship, or media hysteria, or attempts to exert greater control over what can and can't be depicted, but I'm just saying, defending No Russian isn't something that can be done from the moral high ground.

So you didn't defend either Saints Row or Postal then, and won't in the future when they're dragged through the mud inevitably for their content (of which at least Saints Row features numerous occasions of gleeful civilian violence, at one point also taking place at an airport). Double standards then?

It's all a decadent Western plot. Yeah, that's the ticket...

danpascooch:
This is stupid, what we should ACTUALLY be blaming is the original Die Hard movie!

No clearly this is all Red Dawns fault.

It's so easily rebutted. They say that the game could have been used to help plan or practice an attack. The obvious argument is you can't plan an attack in the game. Every time you play that one level, you take the same linear path. And as for the practicing part CoD is horrendously unrealistic (though not unfun). It would not help train somebody in the use of weapons at all. I realize my argument will not change anything really, just putting it out there =P

Russia, today, is shit.

The fact the "No Russian" level in MW2 was mentioned is not surprising at all. But, regardless of that, the act itself is just a tragedy.

Err.. guys, maybe i'm just as blind as Walid Phares, but where's claims about "game used to train terrorist" in the article at RT?
http://rt.com/news/modern-warfare-execution-airport/
All i see is quotes of abovementioned man, who's not even russian let alone official. Talk about lazy journalism.
p.s. Also, russians don't read Russia Today.

Terrorist1: I'm bored. We need to blow something up. Kill civilians.

Terrorist2: A shopping mall?

Terrorist1: No, that would be too easy.

Terrorist2: Well, I'm out of ideas.

Terrorist3: Dude, I just finished playing the first level of the freaking awesome game called Call of Duty and the first level is terrorists killing civilians at a Russian airport!"

Terrorist1: HOLY %^$@# YES.

This...is...stupid.

Try again russia, this time put some effort into it....wow.

You know, I myself could not shoot a gun straight just weeks ago. After spending these weeks playi...erm, training on Call of Duty, a video game I can now pick someone off at 100yds with a pistol. What other amazing things can video games teach us? Surely to bomb 'The Motherland' no? I did learn how to perform surgery with Trauma Center :) Well, I'm off to do a triple bypass, wish me luck.

that ny times report was mincing words. read the original report. the russsians basicly said that mw2 and similar games were giveing people ideas... of the wrong kind

I thought the only way the terrorists got into the airport so armed was because they were actually connected with the (corrupt) government...
so what exactly is the media trying to say here again? hahaha

I'd like to see the terrorists try to jump that cliff with snowmobile

Terrorists would have to have super regeneration and limitless stamina before they could recreate and modern warfare stunts.

I can make up BS too! Watch:

You know what's another common thread among all these terrorists and criminals? Breathing and eating. Clearly those two activities are inextricably linked to such horrendous acts, and should be treated with the utmost suspicion and distaste.

Ignore this post

SpiderJerusalem:
So you didn't defend either Saints Row or Postal

Not in this thread, no, because this thread isn't about SR2 or Postal 2.

then, and won't in the future when they're dragged through the mud inevitably for their content (of which at least Saints Row features numerous occasions of gleeful civilian violence, at one point also taking place at an airport). Double standards then?

I have defended Postal 2 in other discussions in this forum, on the grounds that it's satire, and SR2 is too cartoonishly OTT to take seriously. MW2 on the other hand takes itself terribly seriously.

Anyway, you're pretty much missing my point. My point is not that MW2 is bad/evil/corrupting/a terrorist training simulator/whatever. My point is that No Russian set out to court controversy, so let's not act all surprised when controversy comes knocking.

Ignore this post as well, I have triple sent somehow =.=

This is absolutely ridiculous!

To blame a video game from 2 years ago for a terrorist attack is insane. There were terrorist attacks in Russia before MW came out, how do you account for that?
when People need a scapegoat, video games are a favorite; whether it's MW2 or GTA or whatever.

Sixcess:

I have defended Postal 2 in other discussions in this forum, on the grounds that it's satire, and SR2 is too cartoonishly OTT to take seriously. MW2 on the other hand takes itself terribly seriously.

Anyway, you're pretty much missing my point. My point is not that MW2 is bad/evil/corrupting/a terrorist training simulator/whatever. My point is that No Russian set out to court controversy, so let's not act all surprised when controversy comes knocking.

So double standards it is. Cartoonish or not, Saints Row and Postal BOTH have admitted to setting out to be controversy baiters and are filled with far more volatile stuff than a single mission that is related to the plot of Call of Duty can offer.

Just because you have a liking for the other two games, doesn't create some kind of bubble around them that allows their content to go unchecked over ridiculous claims while another is under scrutiny. As for taking itself seriously, you might wanna check out other threads here were there are people claiming that Modern Warfare 2 itself is a parody.

You know they do have a point. I mean, I'm fully qualified to fight off a race of sentient starships hiding in dark space who are coming to harvest all organic life in our galaxy. I'm also pretty capable of pulling off some other amazing feats, such as:
- Survive in a nuclear wasteland filled with horrendously mutated creatures and fascist organizations armed with laser weapons.
- Fight my way across the American South through throngs of hyper-aggressive infected people.
- Lead a resistance movement on Mars against a brutal military police regime.
- Gather an army of metalheads to fight against a BDSM-obsessed demon and his army of "undead".
- Guide an entire civilization from the stone age up until the modern era.
- Play awesome guitar solos.
- Make my way through a land filled with fantastical creatures capable of great power, where I capture a team of them and train them to defeat other similar people I meet on the way.
- Craft my own species and guide it even farther through time, from the protozoic slime pool into the galactic stage.
- Place weaponized plants in strategic formations to help hold off a zombie horde.
- Be a god.

Yeah, video games made me pretty awesome.

I can see where they are making connections, but they're so vague its rediculous. Haven't they listen to certain critics of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band franchises: "You can't really be that cool in life by playing video games." Man they should check their sources.

I am the leader of a Russian terror cell and I would have to agree with him, before this game came out I found it impossible to train my men to jump large ravines with snow mobiles witch as you know is a needed trick for any terrorist in Russia. Now that it is out I can now teach my men how to do it.....just going to need ALOT of snow mobiles but hey practice makes perfect.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here