Russian Media Suggests Modern Warfare 2 Trained Terrorists

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I knew this was going to happen.
A long time ago, they'd blame this same kind of stuff on either TV, Comics or Dungeons and Dragon. We're just going through the same things all new media have to face: criticism by people who fear what they don't know.

SpiderJerusalem:
So double standards it is.

Toss that at me as often as you like, it still won't stick.

Cartoonish or not, Saints Row and Postal BOTH have admitted to setting out to be controversy baiters and are filled with far more volatile stuff than a single mission that is related to the plot of Call of Duty can offer.

Sure, it's so integral to the plot that the game itself offers you the option to skip it.

Why?

Just because you have a liking for the other two games, doesn't create some kind of bubble around them that allows their content to go unchecked over ridiculous claims while another is under scrutiny.

Did I say that? At no point have I even said that the accusations being made against MW2 are anything other than ridiculous. what I'm saying, repeatedly, is that it's not remotely surprising that it gets targeted for this kind of thing, because it's an insanely high profile game that opens with cheap, bad taste shock tactics.

As for taking itself seriously, you might wanna check out other threads here were there are people claiming that Modern Warfare 2 itself is a parody.

Except it isn't.

Hiphophippo:
this was inevitable. however one might question the use of explosives in the attack when mw2 clearly trained in firearm use.

Except that it didn't. I guarentee you that playing MW2 is useless training for actually firing an RPD. MW2 is point and click, with real firearms it takes skill just to aim a single shot weapon, and even more to control automatic recoil, not to mention taking care of the weapon so that it works properly and doesn't jam, and making sure you don't burn yourself on the barrel or spent brass. It takes a lot more to learn how to use a firearm that just playing MW2.

I think it is desperately needed to inform the major media outlets that, despite appearances, video games are still WAAAY too unrealistic to ever train a person for such an event.

You have it right, Russian media. Blame a video game. Don't blame the most violent thing to ever come in contact with human beings: religion. Muslim extremists blow themselves up like its their job, and, well, it kind of is to them. Plus Russia had that whole thing with Georgia a few years back. I bet they still don't have a chip on their shoulder about that. No. It was all Infinity Wards fault.

spartan231490:

Hiphophippo:
this was inevitable. however one might question the use of explosives in the attack when mw2 clearly trained in firearm use.

Except that it didn't. I guarentee you that playing MW2 is useless training for actually firing an RPD. MW2 is point and click, with real firearms it takes skill just to aim a single shot weapon, and even more to control automatic recoil, not to mention taking care of the weapon so that it works properly and doesn't jam, and making sure you don't burn yourself on the barrel or spent brass. It takes a lot more to learn how to use a firearm that just playing MW2.

internet sarcasm, bro.

I find it kind of strange that when Hitler was responsible for the death of eleven million people, everyone acknowledged that he was a complete fucking nutcase, but now, every time anybody does anything violent, it's suddenly the fault of video games.

I'm waiting for the day kids aren't allowed to play tag in the schoolyard because it's "training them to chase and stab each-other to death."

This is only really interesting if we assume it to be a real Russian view of the incident. We're already used to this sort of thing in America and I don't think it would be particularly newsworthy to any Escapists to see something like this on, say, CNN.

But I don't see anything about this in the actual Russian part of the site (admittedly, I didn't dig too deeply, so it might be there somewhere), which is telling I think. This is a decidedly American, or at the very least western, view of the incident from anything I can find. I find it hard to even imagine something like this coming up or causing any sort of controversy in native Russian media, which tends to be slightly more sensible on issues like teaching people marksmanship with computer mice.

Hiphophippo:

^This. In No russian you shot people. The terrorist committed a suicide bombing. Connecting the two is idiotic.

Honestly, that "No Russian" scene was pretty stupid anyway. It's only purpose was to make controversy for the sake of controversy. It barely contributed anything to the story, evident by the fact that you can skip it and nobody mentions it again, and was there purely for shock value.

But, aside from my ranting on the stupid-as-hell-level-that-served-absolutely-no-purpose, video games do not equal military training as various people before me have stated. I can understand desensitization of violence or something, but if we're going that route the same thing can be said for most every other medium out there.

WilliamRLBaker:

The Long Road:
What? You mean the Russian government is trying to blame a game that shows their country as the unjustified aggressor? No wai!

ACTUALLY the game doesn't portray them that way at all, russia is basically setup by groups working to make war happen now so the old and useless generals and mercs have something to do. in the game american dressed and talking terrorists attack a russian airport thus pushing russia into attacking America.
so they are in no way portrayed as the unjustified agressor.

From the perspective of the player, who knows that the US did not perpetrate the attack on the airport, Russia becomes the bad guy because you immediately say "Hey! It was a bunch of Russians who made this mess! The only American involved was trying to KILL the bad guys!" So Russia is essentially duped into launching an invasion that has no real justification when all the facts come to light. Since the player knows all this, and his is the only perspective that carries over into "IRL", he's all that matters.

Of course, just like Microsoft Flight Simulator trained the 9/11 Terrorists.

Dammit, Russia. It's no one's fault that Infinity Ward happens to be psychic.

If anything they should have played the game and taken measure to prevent it from happening.

The Long Road:

WilliamRLBaker:

The Long Road:
What? You mean the Russian government is trying to blame a game that shows their country as the unjustified aggressor? No wai!

ACTUALLY the game doesn't portray them that way at all, russia is basically setup by groups working to make war happen now so the old and useless generals and mercs have something to do. in the game american dressed and talking terrorists attack a russian airport thus pushing russia into attacking America.

From the perspective of the player, who knows that the US did not perpetrate the attack on the airport, Russia becomes the bad guy because you immediately say "Hey! It was a bunch of Russians who made this mess! The only American involved was trying to KILL the bad guys!" So Russia is essentially duped into launching an invasion that has no real justification when all the facts come to light. Since the player knows all this, and his is the only perspective that carries over into "IRL", he's all that matters.

I dunno, I always saw it as a crazy guy tricked both Russia and the US into attacking each other. The fact that said crazy guy WAS Russian was purely circumstantial. Don't want to spoiler anyone but in the end of the game it turns out to be a crazy American who plays the role of the true villain. So by your reasoning all of America is more to blame. Hell, it's a British SAS agent that inexplicably launches a thermonuclear warhead at America so maybe the Brits are the real antagonists for destroying the lives of many more civilians then either other side did in the game. I guess all I'm saying is be aware of your biases, your own personal point of view has a lot to do with who you think is the villain in that game. As usual the monsters we see says more about us than it does about the monsters.

Just pray that the terrorists don't train on an unpatched version of BF2. With that kind of dolphin diving, our soldiers will never be able to hit them! D:

On a more serious note: No. While this man may be an "expert" in his field, that doesn't mean he or one of his peers has a study to back this claim up: its a hypothesis at best.

This story will probably go nowhere.

No it's a year old so it doesn't count. And I don't remember bombing myself in that part either

If only more people played stuff like those Japanese dating sims, more people would get laid and everyone would probably be happier but alas its Call of Duty that everyone plays.

On a related note I played a ton of Oblivion and I can now fight with swords, ride horses, and even do magic.

If I facepalm any harder I will crack by forehead open.
I didn't realise the Russian Media was taking lessons from FOX.

Delusibeta:

Numachuka:
Pressing a button on a game = training people to plant explosives.

Of corse!

OMG COUNTER STRIKE IS A TERRORIST TRAINER!!!!111!

(This is, of course, sarcasm. For those of you who don't get the reference, one of the vanilla modes have the terrorists try to plant a bomb in a specific location while the counter-terrorists try to stop them. You plant the bomb by selecting it and... holding down a button).

The joke's not funny if you have to explain it

awww crap. Im a lazy journalism student, and even this is too shoddy for me to accept. Clearly being a CIA deep agent in a Russian (not Chechen, cause you know...) plot and strolling casually into an airport toting a FN Minimi (SAW for you US chaps), and shooting everything up is perfect training for suicide bombers...

This just made me think about how fast a game where you played a suicide bomber would end.

*get motivation*

*smuggle in supplies*

*walk calmly into crowded area*

*Quick time event for detonation*

*Roll credits*

$60.

DLC released on the first day though. Play it from the bomb's perspective.

"IZ TRAENANG TERRAISTS"

When i first read the title I immedietly thought
a bunch of dumasses attacked an airport and were immedietly gunned down by airport security because once half a clip has been emptied into your face you do not hide in a corner and immedietly get better

I never even thought the scene was that horrific. Grand Theft Auto 4 lets you do stuff like that constantly, but very few people seemed to complain about that. In comparison that is. You also don't see people pointing the finger at GTA every time someone is gunned down on the street, but when you see reports like this its hard not to wonder why the journalism industry isn't capitalizing on the stupid/paranoid demographic.

"Abdul, you are wounded! Take cover and your jam-vision will tell you when you're ready to fight again."

The only things games "train" you in is how to enjoy a good explosion and some story telling... you would need something purpose built for training someone to actually train them (in this reality).
CoD is only good for training in some backwards reality where being shot is a minor annoyance if it isn't done enough.

Ranooth:
There are not enough people in the universe to facepalm this. Can't they focus more on the tragic lose of life and how Russia will (hopefully) pull through this and tighten security instead of pinning the blame on a FICTIONAL level of a game.

While I am in total agreement that this tragedy has nothing to do with the video game, it hardly matters whether or not the game was fictional. Works of fiction influence real life events all the time, so that line of argument is insufficient. The suggestion that No Russian would somehow be able to train terrorists is laughable, but not because it is fictional--if there were actually such a thing as a training simulator for terrorist attacks on airports, then the hypothesized simulator would also be fictional, yet still regarded as playing a role in the final attack.

WilliamRLBaker:

The Long Road:

Wait so now we have to actually play a game before we can rant about it?

I don't like this new world we live in :(.

theultimateend:
Wait so now we have to actually play a game before we can rant about it?

I don't like this new world we live in :(.

It are a strange and unfriendly new world; our ignorance isn't welcomed here..

Unfortunately this is not a cut and dry argument. I wrote 50 page research paper on the effects of violence in video games and it's effects on people.

While 95% of the people who play this games will only do so for recreation and enjoyment, there is a small contingent that use it for "training" or recruitment purposes.

The #1 culprit of this is the U.S. Military. They have been using Modern Warefare on school campus's or job fairs to recruit new cadets. And the military has been using video game based simulators for decades Both FPS and vehicle based simulators.

The reason for this is that they are effective at 2 things. Training standard procedure and desensitizing soldiers from the idea of shooting another human being and seeing blood. It it fact creates a reward system for the amount of kills you get etc.

They have been employing these subtle mental desensitization tactics since the first world wars. What the military noticed was that less than 25% of their soldiers were "shooting to kill". This is because all species have a natural aversion to killing their own kind... it's literally a subconscious mental barrier. Obviously having only 25% of your soldiers being effective on the battlefield is simply unacceptable. When they researched the reason why this was happening they found it had to do with the fact that soldiers only trained on shooting circular targets that didn't resemble humans. So the military began developing tactics to break down that mental barrier to killing by A) using a mental Breakdown method now utilized in all military bootcamps to create obedient soldiers B) Train standard procedures to the point where soldiers react in an automatic fashion without hesitation. C) train soldiers to kill by shooting realistic looking humanoid targets whenever possible.

Soldiers are rewarded when they perform a lethal killing move successfully. This causes them to associate a successful kill with "good" over and over again.

Video games like modern warfare do many of those same things automatically just because of the sheer fact that it's a realistic "game". You shoot at very realistic enemies. You even watch their heads explode when you get a headshot. Or see their body fly apart when you hit them with a rocket launcher. It gets the user used to seeing blood and rewards them for it. It's simple Pavlov theory.

Another interesting statistic. There was a child shooter in Kentucky about a decade or so back who shotup 8 people at school with a handgun. He landed 6 headshots and 2 body shots... that's near 100% accuracy. Vastly better than highly trained swat or military statistics. The crazy thing? he had never fired a gun until the day before when he tested out his dad's in the back yard.

How did he do it? He played one of those stand up shooter games in the arcade day in and day out. According to witnesses his stance during the shooting was feet shoulder width apart both arms straight out in front with perfect shooting form. One witness stated "he looked like he was at a shooting gallery"

So Again while the vast majority of people will never resort to violent acts because they play violent videogames. At the same time it's foolhardy to think that it doesn't have any effect at all.

I'm willing to bet that a good portion of modern warfare players wouldn't have too much of a problem picking up a real gun, figuring it out and shooting at another human being if there was a legitimate call to arms or reason to do so. They would already be somewhat desensitized to the idea of killing someone solely on the fact that they see it over and over again for several hours a day.

While that particular Russian media outlet's claim is a bit far fetched it's by no means without grounds.

Seriin:
*crosses fingers* Please no one show this to Fox "News".

It's Faux Noise. Get it right. :)

Tom Goldman:
... I think those that have been radicalized already - Jihadists, al-Qaeda, or other kinds - they look at the games and see that these games will serve them to train."

Because they have power points and big LAN networking cabling in their cave hideouts, along with thousands of extremists playing thousands of Xbox's and Playstation's, rather than going on big hikes, live fire ammo training and the such.

I can see why their recruitment for their cause is so high.
/sarcasm.

plz to note : MW2 doesn't tell u how to make bombs.

BTW Everyone knows there's No Respawns in RL

Seriin:
*crosses fingers* Please no one show this to Fox "News".

Well placed quotation marks win.

Today its Modern Warfare 2, Tomorrow it will be George Bush. People always blame everything else in the face of terrorism

Um... what?

No, seriously, this hasn't got any connection to America or the "America, fuck yeah!" attitude which permeates from its computer games.

Pandalisk:
I've often wondered about how they think a video game is going to train terrorists for these soughts of things, i mean, what do they think Call Of Duty can teach to a suicide bomber? they dont need to learn anything, they just need to be all soughts of crazy and be able to act casual before they detonate their explosives.

Actually they only need a good dose of spoon-fed patriotism, just like every other soldier does.

OT: I heard Modern Warfare 2 eats children! *gasp*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or