UK Atheists Hope to Eliminate Jedi Population

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 27 NEXT

chris_ninety1:
The religion question is entirely optional, it quite clearly says on the form (which I have in front of me) "this question is voluntary" so Mr Cameron (who isn't the guy in charge of the census anyway) isn't really 'not minding his own business'.

Even if answering is voluntary, asking about something that's not your business is rude.

The government's bound to mess something up anyway, why not make their lives easier and do it for them?

its most likely that some people who put Christian on the census are as devoted to christianity as those who put jedi as a joke in that little box, so why make a fuss about it at all?

While I do think that the people claiming to be "Jedi" are fucking retarded, I fail to see what harm it does.

Now I would put "Jedi" down just to spite such a*holes.

What do you care what I believe, more to the point you're trying to enforce beliefs now?
These guys may have missed a few days on the calender, it's not 1800 anymore...

Hey, jediism makes more sense than the abrahamic religions, so why cut it out?

Steve5513:

Caliostro:
Honestly, shut the fuck up people (the guys in that "movement", not Tom, obviously).

It's all the same nonsense. It should never matter for any government functions whether people have any religion at all, so the fact that it's included in a census is rubbish anyways.

Personally I say go for the high score guys. 50% Jedi or bust.

Pastafarians or Adeptus Astartes also acceptable.

But it does.

It's stuff like this that gives the government an idea of what to do in the local area. This is also the kind of stuff used to justify more religious faith schools.

I think the government have enough intelligence to work out that people who put Jedi aren't religious.

Nimzar:
If the government interprets the population of "Jedi" as devoutly religious there is a bit of a problem in the area of COMMON SENSE.

Why? Because it's new and everyone knows where it came from? It makes no less sense than any other religion. And unlike any other religion Jedi religion propagates real peace and harmony, not peace as it is defined in Christianity and Islam and other hypocritical, and dare I say evil religions. Still, those who say they are Jedi are in fact Atheists and Agnostics. Just like Pastafarians and other more satirical "religions". They came to be as a humorous response to real religions.

I'm just going to be writing 'Discordanism'.

I can't focus on whether it is right or wrong right now. I'm too curious as to what the Church of Jedi preaches in the first place.

JackVykios:

HT_Black:
I'm pretty sure this is why nobody likes atheists. I mean...seriously. What's their damned problem?

Thinking with your gut there, citizen! I like it! No facts! No news! All that's needed is "UK Atheists telling people not to put Jedi as their religion in the census," and that's all the information a gut needs to make a wise, informed decision about a people united behind the despicable flag of Atheism, and reject all subsequent arguments. If facts want to be believed, they should make an effort to get there on time, and if the gut knows one thing, it's that lazy facts cannot and should not be tolerated.

Anyway:
1. If people don't like atheists, they don't like their representation in the media and by the public, which is hardly positive. People who don't believe in god don't tend to run up to strangers and start correcting them about their religious beliefs. In fact, if they do that, they're probably religious. Or in advertising.
2. Three words: Westboro Baptist Church. I'm pretty sure that's why nobody likes Christians.

You'd think a group of "rational" people would be more on board with living-and-let-living, wouldn't you? Like...I dunno...not asking people to lie on a census for some reason I can't quite grasp?

But really, whatever. You're free to think whatever you want about me and mine; and I'll go on doing the same, seeing as you've made no effort to change my mind.

Steve5513:

Caliostro:
Honestly, shut the fuck up people (the guys in that "movement", not Tom, obviously).

It's all the same nonsense. It should never matter for any government functions whether people have any religion at all, so the fact that it's included in a census is rubbish anyways.

Personally I say go for the high score guys. 50% Jedi or bust.

Pastafarians or Adeptus Astartes also acceptable.

But it does.

It's stuff like this that gives the government an idea of what to do in the local area. This is also the kind of stuff used to justify more religious faith schools.

Honestly, if they can use the excuse "They marked themselves as Jedi under religion" as an excuse to make schools that are focused at completely different religions then it doesn't really matter what we do, as they'd clearly do whatever they feel like regardless of the situation.

Hey, revenge of the Sith was alright, the clone wars had 2 good scenes, and the phantom menace was just terrible.

OT: Athiests c'mon! Take a joke, If I were a UK citizen I'd still put Jedi.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155848/i-am-never-sucking-your-balls
somehow I feel I can post this, seriously though, atheists, just because you think your way of life is right doesn't mean we all have to follow in what you believe. Be a better person and accept other people for their beliefs and this goes for all other religions as well, there I said it and I'm getting off my soap box now

What about Khorne?

MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOOD!

I do not see any reason to single out and discredit Jedi's. Surely from an atheist's perspective, considering oneself a Jedi is equally legimate as all the other hokey religions. You can't Ban a single religion without banning them all.

I'm not saying to take Jedi seriously. They are, for the most part, a joke at the expense of other religions anyway. A lot of atheists approve of this joke! The said mentioned atheists can't represent all or even a majority of atheists! I just see no material reason to discriminate.

Christians and Catholics follow a old book, so why are 3 good films not as good advice for how to lead your life?

If this is what the UK's government is spending their money on, im so happy to be in the USA. Though i wonder why people in the US want to mimic the government of Europe so much, if this is of grave importance to them XD

Think of the Younglings

Atheists can suck the hot end of a lightsaber. Seriously most Atheist groups I've seen are on par with the most obnoxious religious groups I've seen, so bugger off and leave us alone.

Steve5513:

This. We're going to have to deal with this shit live with the results of this for ten years to come, so to suggest that trolling the government is a good idea indicates the UK is in worse shape than I thought...
Take the damn thing seriously and help the already flailing government work out what to/not to spend money on, a two second giggle's not worth it.

outcesticide69:
If this is what the UK's government is spending their money on, im so happy to be in the USA. Though i wonder why people in the US want to mimic the government of Europe so much, if this is of grave importance to them XD

Maybe we should deport these people to Europe perhaps?

Djinni:

You're right, it shouldn't matter. But it does matter. People who write in Jedi are actually doing the opposite of what most of them want. They are saying that they are religious which results in the government giving more weight to religions in general (but not to Jedis which would be hysterical).

Sure, the government should ignore any write-ins like Jedi, Mickey Mousism, etc. But the fact is that they get millions of these forms and no one goes over each one. Any form of religion = "I am religious" PERIOD.

What these "UK Atheists" are saying is: If you want the government to believe that there's a higher population of religious people to cater to, then go ahead and put down a religion. But if that's not your intention, you should know that's what you're doing. I would say "thanks for the info" if I lived in the UK.

Here's a thought: instead of diverting all this effort and energy into trying to passive aggressively force people not to write down whatever, why not use all that effort and energy into explaining to the government that it doesn't fucking matter anyways?

Cause this is like someone walking up to their doctor going "oh gee, this cancer sure is giving me an headache", and instead of surgery and chemo the doctor prescribes some aspirins...

Treat the cause, not the symptoms.

Zukhramm:

chris_ninety1:
The religion question is entirely optional, it quite clearly says on the form (which I have in front of me) "this question is voluntary" so Mr Cameron (who isn't the guy in charge of the census anyway) isn't really 'not minding his own business'.

Even if answering is voluntary, asking about something that's not your business is rude.

The government's bound to mess something up anyway, why not make their lives easier and do it for them?

Tell me about it, I once had a phone survey by the state government asking how important fast internet was to me and one of the "voluntary" questions, mind you in a survey about internet access, was what was my sexual orientation... I mean FFS relevance people?

There's a joke about it being the same thing as Scientology in there, but I wont say it.

Ugh. Why is it always the Atheists who are so intollerant of other people's religions? You dont hear Bhuddists complaining about people saying they follow the force. You don't hear Christians moaning about the Jedi. Hell, you don't even hear anything from the Muslims about it. It's always teh Atheists who are so keen to push their religion and beliefs on everyone else, and if you don't follow them, "you're stupid". I get so tired of their non-sensicle, pseudo-scientific, completely intollerant crap. If they just shut up and let people believe as they wished, like 90% of everyone from every religion does, then there would be no problem.

Still more believable than most religions of the day. Well it is to me.

YamadaJisho:
snip

I hope to christ you are being sarcastic.

How bizarre, UK is the home of Games Workshop and people put "jedi" instead of "chaos undivided" as religion? Heresy most foul this is.

Mr.K.:
Now I would put "Jedi" down just to spite such a*holes.

What do you care what I believe, more to the point you're trying to enforce beliefs now?
These guys may have missed a few days on the calender, it's not 1800 anymore...

They're militant atheists, what did you expect? Most of them probably joined up because they hate the idea of religion with a burning passion anyway.

fix-the-spade:
What if I get a red pen and scrawl BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD across religion.

Will they file that under 'other'?

"Sir, there is a problem with your census form..."
"Really? What might that be, kind sir?"
"In the box marked 'Religion', you put 'FOR THE EMPEROR!!!' in capital letters across half of the page."

Baresark:

They are by far the most serious and annoying folks around whenever the topic comes up. I put them up there with the Jesus freaks who get in your face to save your soul. They are simply the other side of the isle, haha.

Kind of like how anti-fascists often seem to cause a ruckus just as much as fascists themselves. Their main difference being: one group uses the swastika, the other uses a crossed-out swastika.

But I think a question that must be asked in such discussions as these is:
WTF is a religion anyway?
What is meant to go on inside the mind of a person purporting to hold "No Religion" anyway? It would appear to imply a complete lack of ideology or philosophy or indeed opinion of any great strength whatsoever.

Perhaps the simple "Atheist" would be more appropriate, when it seems that the lack of a belief in any gods is implicitly of real interest here.

Unless we're going to start saying that Jainism isn't a real religion now just because it suits certain folk at this certain time.

Mr.Squishy:
Hey, jediism makes more sense than the abrahamic religions, so why cut it out?

TBH, I think they both make more sense than the field of Quantum Physics, and THAT is actually meant to be actually real and you're supposed to actually believe such things.

To be quite perfectly honest, if someone finds the idea of an invisible man in the sky to be absurd by its mere initial appearance... its "obvious" contradictions or fantasticism such as they feel obliged to reject it entirely out of hand without a second thought, they should stay WELL AWAY from any real science of any depth because what IS real and what we know to be true (and figure to be likely true) is often many times harder to swallow than anything in any religion known to man and would probably make their rather limited heads explode.

According to Quantum Physics: Events in the future can affect events in the past. Sounds absurd and full of contradiction and bull****, but that's too bad when it seems to be true. Blows an invisible man in the sky out of the water IMO.

So TBQH, whether something seems to "make sense" to some randomer on the street, shouldn't really come into it IMHO.

EDIT:

kuolonen:
How bizarre, UK is the home of Games Workshop and people put "jedi" instead of "chaos undivided" as religion? Heresy most foul this is.

Yeah, this.

FFS :/

No love for Nurgle?

I don't think the Atheists are going to win this one. Atheism doesn't even have 1 god. Chaos has ****ing FOUR of them. Yeah. DEAL WITH IT.

Just filled it in. I was tempted but chose Non-religious

If I even took the census id put Jedi I dont see the big problam.

I think that saying 'don't put jedi' ultimately just encourages people to put jedi, for a laugh the census people should include a section saying ' if you answered JEDI, how many midichlorians do you have?'

It's not a big deal. Just say that 90% of Jedi respondents are "non-religious".

Why do they need the statistic anyways?

YamadaJisho:
Ugh. Why is it always the Atheists who are so intollerant of other people's religions?

(As someone who agrees with no to putting Jedi) we're not and if I thought that Jedi was a genuine religion I'd leave it alone. But since it just looks like people are putting down Jedi with the mindset of "oh looking I'm referencing a movie as my religion aren't I so clever! tee hee hee" my response is "cut the crap you're not fooling anyone".

I don't get the point in the Census being 37 pages long and basicly requiring you to write every little detail of your life down in it, you know how long the first census was back in the 1800's? 5 question, Name, Date of Bith, Residence, Occupation, Size of Family, thats all we need now, not what blood type, bed time and colour of your underwear is.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 27 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here