One-Fifth of PS3 Owners Are Eyeing the Exit

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 16 NEXT

thats good less people will hopefully mean less lag.

BDNeon:

MercurySteam:
Why not? Apart from different exclusives and a pay-for online service, the 360 is basically a similar console with the same games. Microsoft's doors are always open for converts.

And that is precisely why I will NEVER buy a Microsoft Console. Too expensive compared to PS3 and doesn't offer enough.

One time payment is always cheaper in the long run then a lifetime of subscription fees.

I paid 600$ on my launch PS3, and have used the online feature on it all this time in the 4 years I've had the system. Launch 360 cost 400$, plus 4 years of Live fees = 600$. And that's not counting the upcoming years until the next generation of consoles.

You don't have to pay for LIVE, it's basically only for online multiplayer. If you play online then yes, it's cheaper in the long run to own a PS3 but you pay to use a reliable service and so it can be maintained. You'll never know till you try, so I don't really think you're able to judge whether it's worth it or not till you give it a spin.

I wonder how long until someone gets into Microsoft or Nintendo and does the same thing to prove a point.

I don't know if I can ever drop sony completely. I greatly like my psp and I pretty much prefer my ps3 for single player games.

That said I'm gonna play my xbox 360 for a good while till this all gets solved.

To be honest, i believe this is a situation where everyone is at fault. From the bad hackers who did it, to sony possibly waiting too long to tell everyone or possibly not using the best protection.

I also seem to be seeing alot of the blame placed on geohotz. I don't know how much of this may have to do with his situation, but it is a really big coincidence for all this to go down after the case settlement; however, I will not point fingers with out achieving more information.

ZeroMachine:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?

No. The entire industry crashed once and there was Microsoft's Red Ring of Death Fiasco (which was caused by Microsoft and not by external forces).

Father Time:

ZeroMachine:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?

No. The entire industry crashed once and there was Microsoft's Red Ring of Death Fiasco (which was caused by Microsoft and not by external forces).

I don't see how Red Rings were as much as an issue as this. Red Rings caused an annoyance and a bit of time wasted as you got your new system. This puts your security at risk, and is still annoying.

I had a 360 once, sold it for a PS3 because I don't like FPS's, and that's pretty much all 360 has for exclusives. This incident is a bummer, but it's no reason to jump ship.

TrogzTheTroll:

Father Time:

ZeroMachine:

I don't see how Red Rings were as much as an issue as this. Red Rings caused an annoyance and a bit of time wasted as you got your new system. This puts your security at risk, and is still annoying.

Unless you were like many people and bought your system used. In that case, an RROD means "screw you". I have 4 friends with 360s and 3 with PS3s. Between our group, 4 360s have fried, and 1 PS3 lost it's mind.

ZeroMachine:

I kind of pity Sony. I feel like this might severely damages their chances at doing any good in future console races.

E.T. and Pac Man 2600 would like a word with you

Fuck that. Loyal to the end, I'll stick with my PS3

randomrob:
I'm sticking with my Ps3 because I still think its the superior console and that isn't changed because some douchebag hackers compromised PSN.

Disclaimer: The above is my OPINION so if you disagree, please feel free to not tell me all about it.

This.

What happened sucks, it really does. But at the end of the day, it could easily happen to microsoft as well.

And it certainly doesn't change the fact that the PS3 has God of War, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, or the Last Guardian. Which I like far, far better than all the halos, gears of war and fables in this earth.

This... is really not good. Not good at all.
I still can't shake the feeling though that the folks over at Microsoft are pretty damn happy about this whole incident...

Still buying a PS3 later, I'll be more convinced if it'll play PS2 games without requiring me to Jailbreak it.

Maybe I've missed a few other recent developments, but in light of the Rebug rumor (which says that it wasn't customer data being compromised, but an abundance of fraudulent accounts using stolen credit cards), it just feels like people are jumping the gun. Seriously, we're not even sure exactly what's gone on, hacker attack, fraud accounts, there seems to still be a lot of speculation. Sure, Sony's tight-lipped attitude may be hurting them, but when you've had a security breach, the last thing you do is blab about it. It's common sense; police keep details of investigations away from the press to prevent copycats and allow them to verify witness testimonials.
I'm not going anywhere. I've had my PSP for years and I just got my PS3; I'm not going to jump ship just because of a hiccup. All I have to do is change my password when it comes back up (I've never furnished them any of my financial data; I've only downloaded demos and was planning on using prepaid cards anyway).
Switching over to another console isn't a guarantee of a repeat on that network. All networks are vulnerable at some point and in some way (I'm told Live went down for 2 weeks a few years ago). Switching from a Toyota to a Volvo won't decrease your chances of getting in an accident.
Yes, I like Sony. Call me a shill or sheep or whatever you will, but this isn't that bad. Grow up and get some perspective. Sony has a responsibility to its customers, yes it's true, but they're not omniscient, and neither is Microsoft or Nintendo.

Now, if this happens again down the road....

I've just been playing Brotherhood and Sly Cooper offline.

Beat the system?

ZeroMachine:

I kind of pity Sony. I feel like this might severely damages their chances at doing any good in future console races.

The crash of 1983, the mini-crash of 1995 (3DO, Jaguar, CD-i, TurboGrafx), Gizmondo, The N-Gage... the list goes on, and this thing with Sony really is a drop in the bucket. Also, I'm told XBox Live went down for 2 weeks a few years ago.

As for the future, Sony's almost invincible. The last successful console they made was the PS2. The PS3 has the smallest market share of all the consoles out today, the PSP was trumped by Nintendogs, and don't get me started on the PSPGo. Sony is now where Microsoft was with the original XBox: failing, but with enough success in other areas to keep themselves afloat.

Nothing is invincible.

I'm not switching. I like the PS3 and I think that once the dust settles, things will get back to normal. Besides, I'm looking forward to the make nice gift that Sony should be shelling out by the millions. XD

grimner:

...What happened sucks, it really does. But at the end of the day, it could easily happen to microsoft as well...

THANK YOU!

Jonci:
One of us! One of us!

Gooble-Gobble, Gooble-gobble

Can't believe no one else did that.

Anyways, yeah the ps3 network glitch is really, annoying. I miss online play.

The absolute only reason I still own a PS3 is for Ratchet and Clank. If it wasn't for that then I'd have bought a 360 a long time ago.

I know im prolly going to get a suspension from this but.
To o0o0WestSide0o0o 2-3 pages before me.
umadbro? yeah umad. usomad u turned into madjelly

ThatDaveDude1:

ZeroMachine:

You're thinking of the 3DS.

Virtua Boy?

I never wanted a Virtua Boy but I'm looking forward to 3DS midway through the rest of this year.

Riku'sTwilight:

Celtic_Kerr:
People don't even know if SONY's defenses were good or shitty yet and they're simply yelling "HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!?" as if this has happened every year since the PS1 was released 11 years ago. Once in 11 years is actually a fucking good run.

Although I do agree with most of your points, this quote is wrong.
Once in 11 years? Try more like Once in 5 years.

The PS1 was hacked, the PS2 was hacked (albeit both were via 'chipping') and now the PS3 has been hacked to the most severe method, the internet aspect which is hurting the gamers, their userbase.

Honestly you don't see the Wii and the 360 being hacked to this method, why? Because their infrastructure is probably a lot more secure than the PS3's (although I'm not saying the PS3's was bad, as per your point we don't really know how good it actually was, but clearly Xbox and Wii's are more secure, otherwise this would have happened to them before now)

I don't think an offcal statement of HOW it was acked has come through yet there's been specuation about rebug, but that's firmware, and I don't think t woud have run through a PS3, nor do you need a PS3 to hack into the PSN. I know the consoles have been hacked, but their network never has. I know people are getting freaked out over it, but there's a first time for everything and leaving your credit card information ANYWHERE online entails risks. We don't know how many layers SONY had, or how much security. We know that soeone chose the PSN as a target and hit it.

Until SONY releases info to I.C.O about exactly what happened, it's all speculation

I'd say this poll is as reliable as any poll concerning the popularity of Republican candidates for the next elections.

See as: not reliable at all.

Jonci:
One of us! One of us!

sorry needed to link that its kind of like OCD for me.

Anyway I am just going to buy a new 360. I have been meaning to but not really needed to since my brother got a PS3 for christmas but now I have a better reason to so um yeah.

Meanwhile, in Microsoft headquarters:

Peon: "Sir, it's working... looks like we've managed to kill off a fifth the the PS3 owners."
Bill Gates: "Excellent, minion-slave! Glory to the victor... MUHAHAHAHAHA"

matsugawa:

grimner:

...What happened sucks, it really does. But at the end of the day, it could easily happen to microsoft as well...

THANK YOU!

It did happen to Microsoft a few years ago, only it wasn't so bad, but it wasn't caused by an outside intrusion either. It did last a few weeks, however. With the attention span of the internet today, everyone forgot about it.

HankMan:

Master Chief

WANTS YOU

To buy an Xbox 360

NEVER!!!!!.... Oh wait, I already have one.... Hmmm. Touche.

I worry about the negative impact this might have on gaming and the gaming industry as a whole. Things that grow the industry = good, things that damage the industry = bad for all of us.

and what good will it do to change now?
it's more likely that xbl is next than the psn again^^

i still like my ps3 and couldn't care less about this situation
but somehow i doubt that there will be as much financial damage
i mean can you really sue sony for this?
it's like lending your best friend your DS and his house gets robbed so you are suing him for your lost DS... sounds crazy

lomylithruldor:

Celtic_Kerr:
Let me tell you something. Make SONY focus on a court case AND this and it'll go slower.

Yeah, because the engineers that work on fixing the PSN are also the lawyers that will defend sony in court.

A company wth two massive projects in adtion to its regular tasks still runs slower than a comapny oriented on one project. The people on top stll make the decisions, they still need to read the report, focus on how the engineers are gettng this fixed. Now that mght be an addition task on them that they normally don't do, sucking up time. Then they have to take this informatin to the investigators to try and fnd ths guy, plus cooperate wth them. Takes more time. Then they need to address all these governments attacking them and talk to them about fndings and future preventatve measures. More time taken for planning the future measures and discussing them. THEN they have these idiots suing them.

If that doesn't sound like much to you, then I don't know what you thnk a full day's work is. With a break this big, the heads of SONY arent going to tell their lawyers and engnieers "Go nuts" they'd be stupid to, they are going to monitor thsi and make sure they don't fuck up again. Now you only have so many hours a day to do all this and people want results NOW. So yeah, it's gonna slow things down a bit when you look at the big picture.

Look beyond the two dfferent departments of the coapny, and look at it as a whole.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
I had a 360 once, sold it for a PS3 because I don't like FPS's, and that's pretty much all 360 has for exclusives. This incident is a bummer, but it's no reason to jump ship.

The thing is that Sony has had most of these exclusives since the PS1 its like Nintendo and their exclusives of Mario, Link, Metroid and the others. It sucks that Microsoft got into the game when Shooters were the thing and thats why they got those as exclusives I would really like to see something that wasn't an Shooter for the 360 but we aren't going to see one of those for a while.

Well, that's one way to get the fanboys crawling out of the woodwork.

Odd, as of recently, my desire to actually switch to a PS3 was really getting going.

Awexsome:

thebobmaster:

Awexsome:
He messed with the hardware and released the code to give people full access on how to mod their PS3s. From an old news report people could mod their consoles into giving them priveledges they shouldn't have that would only be reserved for developers and Sony themselves.

His fault.

So, information on how to mod a console=ability to hack into PSN and steal identities? Shit...better stop playing KOTOR over Steam. After all, that game has been modded, so a hacker could use the game to access my account information on Steam!

Yes, the ability to mod the console into faking a high level of authority equals that. Simple. The thing that's up for debate is how secure that data was after the code was made available. But after running the PSN with little to no issues for years it seems Sony wasn't fast enough to adapt to it.

All stemming from Geo releasing the code in the first place.

PSNers should be sueing him not Sony.

So all you guys blaming GeoHot agree that Sony PSN was put together by a bunch of incompetents? Because that is clearly what you believe.

Think about what you are saying:

1) PSN security depended almost entirely on the security of the consoles.

2) Sony sold these to millions of people without any restrictions, not even a driver's license let alone a background check to make sure nobody buying the console is interested in hacking.

If these are true than Sony failed security 101 in a big way. Honestly, I think that your corporate loyalty has blinded you to reality. It is my duty to remind you that those Sony brand dildos don't actually love you back.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here