Trashed Thor Press Kit Causes Bomb Scare

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

FlyAwayAutumn:

SaintWaldo:

2. Technically, they didn't throw it away, they recycled it. Good for them, IMO.

I never throw things away

If you're serious, I'd warn you of this.

And remember, you're not talking about your workspace at an operation that gets promo from a lot of auto makers. A. LOT. Cool movie tie-in or not, they didn't want it taking up the space. Maybe you should recycle-bin dive them, in the future.

It looks cool...

Can I buy it? They didnt want it

SaintWaldo:

FlyAwayAutumn:

SaintWaldo:

2. Technically, they didn't throw it away, they recycled it. Good for them, IMO.

I never throw things away

If you're serious, I'd warn you of this.

And remember, you're not talking about your workspace at an operation that gets promo from a lot of auto makers. A. LOT. Cool movie tie-in or not, they didn't want it taking up the space. Maybe you should recycle-bin dive them, in the future.

I never throw away cool memorabilia anyway. Also there are a number of things they could've done.
1. Give/auction it to one employee who wanted it.
2. Give it to anybody that wanted it.
3. Have a designated space for keeping it.

or if all else fails then they could recycle it or whatever. But I dunno why they jumped to throwing it away.

Luke5515:
You know, when I make bombs, I like to use scorpions as shrapnel.
really, how do you mistake that?

Well, the problem with this model is that it only has one scorpion. That produces not near enough poison carrying shrapnel at all!

OT: Ker-sigh...people are so ridiculous.

i so wish i had of found this!

I'm sure it's because the guys at Automobile magazine are used to getting, you know, free cars in the mail. So when they open this one up and it's just some lame movie promo, they tossed it in the dumpster in a fit of rage!

Aside from the scorpion bit this actually looks pretty stupid.

Reminds me of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force bomb threat a while back. At least that one was at least a little plausible.

SODAssault:
"Reanimate lifeless scorpion with sugar cube.
Battle until one of you is dead."

...it's on.

OT: Stupid people mistaking toys for bombs...

People seriously need to grow a pair and quit freaking out over every little thing.

SODAssault:
"Reanimate lifeless scorpion with sugar cube.
Battle until one of you is dead."

...it's on.

Don't worry, I will kill the reanimated scorpion over your lifeless corpse. Though I may not have any sugar cubes to reanimate you afterward.

FlyAwayAutumn:

Flauros:

FlyAwayAutumn:
Why'd they throw it away though?

So they can pretend thor never happened.

Silly Flauros your logic makes no sense.

Thor was a good movie.

I second this.

Even a bulge in someone's pants would qualify as a bomb scare nowadays. Still, You can never be too careful.

"Actually, that IS a grenade in my pants." - SC2 Marauder.

that's hilarious

It's like the Aqua Teen Huger Force Coleen Movie Film for Theaters thing in Boston a few years back.

MercurySteam:

FlyAwayAutumn:

Flauros:

Thor was a good movie.

I second this.

Even a bulge in someone's pants would qualify as a bomb scare nowadays. Still, You can never be too careful.

Yes, yes you can be too careful. The stress of worrying about all the half-cooked crap the media feeds you will kill you long before any terrorist attack.

"OMG ITS A BOMB!"

"No...that's an iPod..."

what a bunch of panicky sheep people are. It's like the Moonite marketing signs all over again.

Xzi:

MercurySteam:

FlyAwayAutumn:

Thor was a good movie.

I second this.

Yes, yes you can be too careful. The stress of worrying about all the half-cooked crap the media feeds you will kill you long before any terrorist attack.

"OMG ITS A BOMB!"

"No...that's an iPod..."

I disagree. After 11/9/01, America didn't care about being too careful and probably never will again.

EOD Tech:
I am a bomb technician and it's never failed to amaze me how often we're called out to "disarm" items that in no way, under any circumstances, could possibly be a bomb. I've been called on purses, briefcases, bags of trash, even cellphones. I always say better safe than sorry, but sometimes people can be idiots. Unfortunately those calls are usually on weekends or holidays.

Remind me to call a different EOD guy.
"I've been called on purses, briefcases, bags of trash, even cellphones"
Ill admit that I have yet to run into a purse or cellphone IED but I have seen satchel charges stuffed inside briefcases and I have seen explosives hidden in, under, and around piles of trash. I have seen cellphone detonators.
It doesn't take more than a few ounces of explosives to maim or kill a person.
Does it mean you should be paranoid of every object on the side of the road? No.
Does it mean you should fuck around with and just assume everything on the side of the road is safe? No.
Its better to error on the side of caution.

Was it a real scorpion? If so, there's no way in hell I'm seeing that movie.

Everything is a bomb!

JWAN:

EOD Tech:
I am a bomb technician and it's never failed to amaze me how often we're called out to "disarm" items that in no way, under any circumstances, could possibly be a bomb. I've been called on purses, briefcases, bags of trash, even cellphones. I always say better safe than sorry, but sometimes people can be idiots. Unfortunately those calls are usually on weekends or holidays.

Remind me to call a different EOD guy.
"I've been called on purses, briefcases, bags of trash, even cellphones"
Ill admit that I have yet to run into a purse or cellphone IED but I have seen satchel charges stuffed inside briefcases and I have seen explosives hidden in, under, and around piles of trash. I have seen cellphone detonators.
It doesn't take more than a few ounces of explosives to maim or kill a person.
Does it mean you should be paranoid of every object on the side of the road? No.
Does it mean you should fuck around with and just assume everything on the side of the road is safe? No.
Its better to error on the side of caution.

I meant in the US. In country of course you assume everything is an IED at first. But here in the states, a purse left on a table full of other purses shouldn't raise that much suspicion.

MercurySteam:

Xzi:

MercurySteam:

I second this.

"OMG ITS A BOMB!"

"No...that's an iPod..."

I disagree. After 11/9/01, America didn't care about being too careful and probably never will again.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Guys, I have some old comics with some Supersomething, pretty dumb, he's throwing a car into a poor suit guy, I should throw it out I guess, right? Not like it might be of value to some fanatics...

Clive Howlitzer:

MercurySteam:

Xzi:

"OMG ITS A BOMB!"

"No...that's an iPod..."

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

^ I concur. But those were the good ol days. A lot of stuff has changed since then and different kinds of technology has made it more difficult to keep a tab on possible or imminent threats.
Dont get me wrong. I'm not saying I like it. Just that sometimes we may need it.

JWAN:

Clive Howlitzer:

MercurySteam:

^ I concur. But those were the good ol days. A lot of stuff has changed since then and different kinds of technology has made it more difficult to keep a tab on possible or imminent threats.
Dont get me wrong. I'm not saying I like it. Just that sometimes we may need it.

Yeah, I am not black and white about it. However sometimes it does feel silly.

Because law enforcement is apparently incapable of using Google.

Fuck me, can we not have one rectangular thing that isn't mistaken for a bomb?

FlyAwayAutumn:

Flauros:

FlyAwayAutumn:
Why'd they throw it away though?

Thor was a good movie.

Quite agree. It is an excellent movie.

Didn't something like this happen in Boston a couple of years ago when someone mistook a promotional neon light in the shape of one of the characters from Aqua Teen Hunger Force for a satchel charge or something?

To be brutally honest, nothing at all surprised me that this took place in Michigan. Met someone from there before... Honestly, I've never met anyone who is the ultimate exception to travel broadening the mind.

I wonder if I could acquire a similar kit...
Looks kinda fun!

well... it's a better ad campaign than "your mom won't like it!" I'm digging it!

I'M NICK FURIOUS WHAT A WASTE

I hate the motherf.. I should stop making bad jokes.

What,did nobody there ever hear of Thor or something. The giant THOR logo probably hidden on that box somewhere should've tipped them off.
Just sad,some people are THIS stupid.

I saw the movie, am familiar with the comic and still didn't get what the hell a lot of that was referring to.

Xzi:

killgannon:
And the word "THOR" written in a fairly big font on the lid didn't tip anybody off?

Just goes to show that more of the world needs to be geeks. I would have recognized that as some sort of promotion in a heartbeat and taken it home. Looks cool.

Because there's no way they could have written 'THOR' on a bomb? Or used a scrap part from something bearing the logo?

The only bomb I've ever seen up close had pieces of a PSone holding it together. (note: it had to of the 'lids' on it)

WANT!

PunkRex:
There was a dead scorpion in it, a REAL scorpion?

Look im not a PETA level animal "lover" but that seems a little f'd up. I know scorpions are some of the most primal animals on the planet and have no sense of feeling (at least in the mental sense) but killing them for a movie promotion seems a little messed up.

Considering how in many countries where things like scorpions are eaten as snacks, I wouldn't find it weird that they had a real scorpion for this.

I'm mean look at this, you can buy a scorpion encased in some toffee, yum.

http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/aaasmt/index.php/url_pmet3/xlc_395/xdbc_Scorpion/dbtc_1/pic_1/add_custsearch/stc_0/scope_short#395

If people can buy that, I wouldn't be surprised if people could just buy dead scorpions alone.
So, I willing to bet that they didn't just go out and kill some scorpions for this, they probably just went to a distributor.

I wonder where one can buy wholesale scorpions.

Hmm, "Reanimate scorpion with sugar cube, battle until one is dead." Here we have a scorpion in toffee, it may be tasty but if the sugar reanimates it, prepare to fight for your treat.

Monsters! They just tossed it?

Did these guys realize how many geeks would have been willing to cut off limbs, kill others, and perform sexual favors just to own that?

I don't think I heard of such horrific memorabilia abuse since my 7th grade teachers heartbreaking talk he gave us when recalling how his own mother burnt his comic collection on a church lawn due to the 1950's comic scare. Among the things he lost that day were copies of Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, Superman #1, Batman #1 and others.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here