BioWare Asks Fans About Showing Tali's Face in Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

No BioWare, don't let your fans decide. That's stupid. They are idiots who will hate you for it no matter what compromise you make.

In Mass Effect 3; Commander Shepard will battle the Reapers one final time, the fate of the galaxy will be decided - and Tali will finally show her face.

What more could you want from a ME game?

Shymer:

shadowmagus:
Well, at last check on FB, the numbers were as follows

19965 (86%) in favor of, 3276 (14%) against.

Now, I don't know the twitter response, but this isn't "predictably mixed" in my opinion. This gives a decent response from the community, but that's just my take on it.

Every serial writer knows that as soon as the tension of the unknown is gone, the show ends. Alred Hitchcock is frequently referenced when discussing the difference between surprise and suspense. I think it's relevant here.

People enjoy stories for suspense. The whole point is that you care enough to want to know the answer to a question posed by the story. The way a Quarian looks is one element of ME's dramatic tension. It has worked - clearly people WANT to know if they have engaged in the story. However as soon as Bioware decide to show us - suspense over, the surprise won't last - and everyone walks off somewhere else.

My view - I like the ME story and want elements of suspense to continue. Don't reveal unless it means the conclusion of the Quarian story - or the creation of additional mystery.

Problem is, this is the end in a sense. While it may not be for the Mass Effect universe, it is the end of Commander Shepard's story and there are certain exceptions that come with that end. One of those, for many fans, being the reveal of something that has eluded us since the start, and that is what a Quarian looks like under the mask, and not just any Quarian but probably the single most important Quarian. With the end of Commander Shepard, we may never see Tali again, and it would be like not revealing what Darth Vader looked like at the end of Jedi. Unfortunately, without knowing what Bioware plans for the story, we can't say how big of an "end" this is.

MercurySteam:
In Mass Effect 3; Commander Shepard will battle the Reapers one final time, the fate of the galaxy will be decided - and Tali will finally show her face.

A 2011 release date.

shadowmagus:

Shymer:

shadowmagus:
Well, at last check on FB, the numbers were as follows

19965 (86%) in favor of, 3276 (14%) against.

Now, I don't know the twitter response, but this isn't "predictably mixed" in my opinion. This gives a decent response from the community, but that's just my take on it.

Every serial writer knows that as soon as the tension of the unknown is gone, the show ends. Alred Hitchcock is frequently referenced when discussing the difference between surprise and suspense. I think it's relevant here.

People enjoy stories for suspense. The whole point is that you care enough to want to know the answer to a question posed by the story. The way a Quarian looks is one element of ME's dramatic tension. It has worked - clearly people WANT to know if they have engaged in the story. However as soon as Bioware decide to show us - suspense over, the surprise won't last - and everyone walks off somewhere else.

My view - I like the ME story and want elements of suspense to continue. Don't reveal unless it means the conclusion of the Quarian story - or the creation of additional mystery.

Problem is, this is the end in a sense. While it may not be for the Mass Effect universe, it is the end of Commander Shepard's story and there are certain exceptions that come with that end. One of those, for many fans, being the reveal of something that has eluded us since the start, and that is what a Quarian looks like under the mask, and not just any Quarian but probably the single most important Quarian. With the end of Commander Shepard, we may never see Tali again, and it would be like not revealing what Darth Vader looked like at the end of Jedi. Unfortunately, without knowing what Bioware plans for the story, we can't say how big of an "end" this is.

The difference with revealing Vader's face though was his characters arc called for it. It was symbolic of him finally being redeemed, and dying a frail old man instead of a faceless evil machine.

Now, granted, we dont know the full story and the arc that Tali will have in ME3, but i really cant think of a REASON to reveal her face other than the "but we want to know" mentality. In terms of the story and her character, its pointless (im assuming, unless something drastic happens in ME3, in which case Bioware should already know whether there is a point to reveal her face or not).

As i said previously aswell, it could even potentially ruin her as a character/species, as a large part our interest in them is the mystery surrounding them - remove that and you remove a crucial part of their character.

I like her with her mask on. Rather like to imagine what she looks like than to actually know what she looks like. Remember Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder, what looks great to one person, looks like shrek to another. good example, Miranda <.<

AlternatePFG:
No BioWare, don't let your fans decide. That's stupid. They are idiots who will hate you for it no matter what compromise you make.

also this. Just flip a coin and live with it. Either way Bioware, you can't win.

I'd say keep her mask on, not just for the sake of "Preserving her mystique" no... While that's part of it, I know for a fact that if they show the face people are going to be disappointed because they expected different, probably blame E.A, casual gamers and other non-nonsensical shit while burning their copies of the previous video games. Yeah, no thanks, keep it under wraps, you'll probably upset less people that way and then I don't have to read their screaming and cryings over it.

I say give her a cracked helmet.

When Shepard goes searching for Tali to have her join him as companion again for ME3 he finds her in some recently ruined building wounded and trapped where he can see her but not reach her. You can see the crack in the helmet but you're too far away to see what's behind it. Then spend a mission trying to reach her and fighting off enemies until you finally get close enough to see through the crack and glimpse a single eye and a small part of her face. After that it's back to the Normandy immediately so Tali can get treated for her wounds and infections resulting from her lacking immune system.

OutrageousEmu:

MercurySteam:

A 2011 release date.

If the final product is awesome then I say, take as much time as you need (just not as much time that StarCraft II took).

Hosker:
Nothing can live up to one's imagination.

Please see having sex.

Pretty simple answer, Tali ask you If you want to see her face and you reply yes or no. If you romanced her then you don't get the option.

Daystar Clarion:

SteelStallion:

Daystar Clarion:
What amazes me about the whole 'what do Quarians look like' situation, is that you'd fucking think there'd be photos lying around, since, you know, they do occassionally take their suits off.

We should know what Qurians look like in general, but what Tali looks like? I'm not sure...

Thing is, how many Quarians have you seen in Mass Effect? Tali and a few random ones on pilgrimage. They aren't very common. They're a very, very reclusive case for many reasons, having next to nothing as an immune system being one of then. It's already been said that they pretty much only take their suits off to like, mate, or take care of a newborn.

Unless some curious bugger murders one and takes their suit off I don't imagine there being many photos.

Surely there would be medical studies on the subject though? Diagrams, that sort of thing.

At one point Shepard can end up on a whole ship full of Quarians and another that was inhabited by Quarians, so there could be an opportunity there. Though honestly I'm all for keeping the masks on, let each person imagine their own version of her face, that's how you keep everyone happy.

EDIT: I just want to add that I have no expectations as far as Tali's face goes, but I would very much like to see it. I'd be hard to disappoint unless BioWare actually made an effort to do so.

Proverbial Jon:
Besides, there's just no way of doing the reveal without it being a "I want to show you my face before I die" kind of scene, just like someone already said.

Tali already showed Shepard her face in Mass Effect 2, if romanced.

drosalion:
Now, granted, we dont know the full story and the arc that Tali will have in ME3, but i really cant think of a REASON to reveal her face other than the "but we want to know" mentality. In terms of the story and her character, its pointless (im assuming, unless something drastic happens in ME3, in which case Bioware should already know whether there is a point to reveal her face or not).

Err... the obvious scenario would be with the Reapers defeated and an alliance forged between the Geth and the Quarians, Tali finally gets to set foot on Rannoch (the Quarian homeworld her father fought to reclaim), so she takes the opportunity to breathe fresh air and look at the world around her without her suit's tinted visor.

It would be a pretty good conclusion to the Shepard/Tali romance arc if Shepard is there as well, and the camera pans around to show Tali's face.

As always, the mystique detail is a cheap trick. Letting the audience imagine whatever they want is as cheap as it gets, it's even cheaper than giving them what they want. For example, superficial "literature" like Harry Potter and Twilight give the reader what he or she wants, yet even worse is literature like everything the absurdists wrote or lyrical poetry where authors don't give readers anything at all and they are overly satisfied with it. If you're so keen on your own imagination then write your own damn book or make your own damn video game. Also, such authors are cheap shits just like their audience. So, Bioware, reveal her face and let me judge you for doing it the right way or the wrong way like the critic I am!

JediMB:

Proverbial Jon:
Besides, there's just no way of doing the reveal without it being a "I want to show you my face before I die" kind of scene, just like someone already said.

Tali already showed Shepard her face in Mass Effect 2, if romanced.

drosalion:

Err... the obvious scenario would be with the Reapers defeated and an alliance forged between the Geth and the Quarians, Tali finally gets to set foot on Rannoch (the Quarian homeworld her father fought to reclaim), so she takes the opportunity to breathe fresh air and look at the world around her without her suit's tinted visor.

It would be a pretty good conclusion to the Shepard/Tali romance arc if Shepard is there as well, and the camera pans around to show Tali's face.

Dont get me wrong, there are definitely scenarios that it would make sense for her character and the story for her face to be revealed (and i dont mean make sense in the "oh yeh, she might take her helmet off in this situation" but making sense in terms of it actually adding some depth and meaning to the story and there being an actual point to it, like with darth vader).

But my point was that if these things DO take place then bioware should already be aware of them, and they should know whether or not her face NEEDS to be revealed or not. At this point in time with them leaving it up to the fans it seems as if her face reveal is purely for the sake of a reveal, and thats the complete wrong way to do it and will only cause harm.

I don't think they should show her face. Let's not forget that this is a subplot, the main focus is the Reapers and the like. If BioWare does show her face it would become a new hot topic for discussion whereas not showing her face might displease some people, but I think it will have much less discussion value.

OutrageousEmu:
Two things. One, why not just ask in game? Have the scene be set up by a dialogue option - "I want to see your face" or "You're beautiful to me no matter what". From there, have the scene unfold accordingly. Everyones happy.

There is no way you won't get to see her face in this case. Internet as it is today, it is almost inevitable that a random troll or a link or whatever WILL have a screenshot of her in- game face or whatever. (And Shepard has already seen her face in the romance option)

IMHO, showing her face do or not doesn't really bother me. If they decide to show it, so be it. They decide to not show it? So be it. So I think the best solution is to show a part of her face through a cracked mask or something like that.

Xaositect:
I dont care as long as her and Garrus roles are not as important as Liara, Ashley/Kaidan and Wrex. I think after the blatant fanservice treatment they got in ME2, squadmate or no, the furry/anthro romance options can be afforded a place more on the back burner. I mean, besides Liaras DLC, the roles for the above characters in ME2 was a brief appearance saying to ME1 fans "remember me, Im busy, and cant join you".

We know Garrus is going to be a squadmate, and Ive heard Tali will be too, but I imagine its the same kind of role they occupied in ME2 where they really dont impact the main plot at all, they are just side characters (which pretty much 90% of the squad was). Well, I can imagine they might impact their respective races stories slightly, like Tali and the fleet, but its the kind where if shes dead a stand in character takes up the role ala Wreav.

Since both Tali and Garrus can die, maybe its pretty likely.

Personally though, if Tali is a squadmate and gets her face shown, I hope her fans keep their mouths shut if they dont like it. Theyve been pandered to enough in this series with their petitions of "I want to screw chicken feet girl/grasshopper boy".

Xenophobic much?
You do of course realise that Tali and Garrus are the most popular characters of the series?

drosalion:

The difference with revealing Vader's face though was his characters arc called for it. It was symbolic of him finally being redeemed, and dying a frail old man instead of a faceless evil machine.

Not to knock this off-topic but I always read the scene as taking the mask off because he wanted to die as Anikan rather than Vader. Though yeah I agree, the taking off the mask made a great amount of sense within the context of the movie and the character. The mask was symbolic, the mask was Vader, taking off the mask showed that he was no longer Vader.

Here it would sort of seem like Tali is taking the mask off simply for the sake of it. Now that's not to say that she couldn't take the mask off and it make sense in context but I've got a feeling that it wont and I really doubt it would have the same kind of impact it had in the Star War series or any other series where that is the case.

On the one hand, if the show her face, I'd want it to be beautiful, on the other hand, I'm a big fan of keeping the mystery alive.

CONFLICT!

No. No. No. No.

I don't want them to destroy the mystery.

I don't really care, I like the games, but I'm not that big of a nerd fan. As long as it doesn't look absolutely retarded I'm fine with anything.

As its the end of the series, I think its finally appropriate to see her face. The mystery is great and all, but we're at the end now, and dragging it out will only get annoying, it won't stay fun like it is now. That feeling eventually just gets bitter. And then expectations can NEVER be met.
(Example: LOST)

I think this is the reason they showed the Shadow Broker, and why the very strange and unexpected reveal worked quite well. We had expectations, sure, but it was still great.

This is the final lap of the story now, and seeing her face should be at the emotional climax of her story arc. More-so if your one of the MANY people who romanced her, in which case, its important to both her and Sheperd.

Someone cited Darth Vader as an example in an earlier thread, and I think he's another perfectly good example of concluding the mystery, and giving the viewer the needed emotional climax with this character.
The audience's expectations were NOT met on purpose. The great and mighty Darth Vader....was actually a very sad, sickly looking old man under the mask. You might even say pathetic.

This completely gives the audience a new perspective of the character, an understanding and perhaps even sympathy/forgiveness. Truly one the the great moments of cinema.

Subverting expectation can work. The main difference I see is that unlike Lucas and his old team, Bioware does not have a clear idea themselves.

Honestly, I feel that as the end of the series proper is now, they should show it, before the mystery spoils. They just need to go with what is appropriate and not worry about the audience reaction. Just make it appropriate in the moment, and trust your audience.

IF it wasn't for the visible eyes and relative composite of that nose of hers, I'd totally be down with Quarians resembling the Geth. Something about making them in their own image, although not many bots in the Mass Effect universe have that going for them.

Tali pulls off her mask, and a single huge eye and some wiggling mouth appendages greet you.

I'm actually somewhat concerned Bioware is asking about this one. They've proved that they can improve upon gameplay aspects through listening to fan's complaints (slow loading textures, jammed inventories etc.), but one area they haven't needed help in is the story department. This will only lead to a split in the community that has readily formed around this incredible game series; because by asking someone's going to end up disappointed.

Personally, Tali was one of the most interesting characters in the universe (unfortunately only becoming prominent in the second game) and she remains my favorite romantic option. That being said I was sort of on the edge of my seat when the mask came off in ME2; so I'll be disappointed if seeing her face isn't an option if you've loyally pursued a relationship with her.

Regardless of Quarian face or not, Mass Effect 3 will be fantastic.

Goldeneye1989:
*tali takes of her mask*
*pan to Shepard* ....Wrex?

This made me laugh so much my face hurts!

Awesome! Just awesome!

EDIT: This would make perfect sense if you never used them together in numero uno...

It would raise all sorts of questions if you did though. XD

drosalion:
But my point was that if these things DO take place then bioware should already be aware of them, and they should know whether or not her face NEEDS to be revealed or not. At this point in time with them leaving it up to the fans it seems as if her face reveal is purely for the sake of a reveal, and thats the complete wrong way to do it and will only cause harm.

Oh, the question they asked on Twitter/Facebook isn't actually going to affect the game content. I think it's just them trying to interact a bit with the community.

Quoting Casey Hudson here:

"Will we show Tali's face in #ME3? We locked down our approach long ago, but you'll have to wait until March to find out what it is."

drosalion:
snip

Now, granted, we dont know the full story and the arc that Tali will have in ME3, but i really cant think of a REASON to reveal her face other than the "but we want to know" mentality.

ME3 is supposed to conclude the quarians' struggle to take back their homeworld, and whether we'll see old pictures or monuments depicting quarians before they wore masks, or actual quarians taking off their masks, we're bound to see what they look like, and possibly Tali as well.

Edit: Damn, ninjas.

After reading your reply to JediMB, I see your point. This poll is more or less trivial, and it's probably just Bioware's attempt to keep people talking about the game. ME3 is pretty far in development, so I doubt the results will matter much, as long as the feedback is not overly negative.

For everyone worried about the lore and impact of taking off the helmet, she doesn't have to.

Just drop the damn tint on the mask.

No.

Keep Tali's face a mystery. If they reveal what Tali actually looks like under her mask, it will absolutely destroy the mystique she carries throughout the first two games. I thought even her romance scene in Mass Effect 2 was kind of pushing it. Seriously, keep her face a secret.

It always has been. Why fix what isn't broken?

I think it should only happen if you romance her in ME3, and even then, you should get to choose if you want to see her face or not, that way, people who want to see her face are happy, and people who don't want to see her face are also happy, if they complain about it, then they are just being selfish, it should be a choice. I will probably end up seeing her face (if they allow it) in my first playthrough, because Tali is my favorite squadmate in the game.

EDIT: OR at least let us see some other Quarians unmasked, so we can get a rough idea of what Tali looks like.

TheLittlestAirship:

Tali pulls off her mask, and a single huge eye and some wiggling mouth appendages greet you.

Mmm, naughty tentacles...

My answer would depend: if this were the endgame for the Mass Effect series (or the end of this current arc), I say go ahead and reveal Tali's face. Otherwise, keep up the mystery.

This strikes me as just another attempt to drum up interest in a flagging series, flagging inasmuch as its orginial RPG fans are feeling very disheartened about the way its becoming less RPG more Third person shooter.

It reminds me of how marvel comics would from time to time come up with an issue unrelated to most anything else going on in previous and subsequent issues and slather the cover with 'Because YOU demanded it', effectively it meant 'we ran out of ideas'

Personally I would like to see her face.

IO imagine it to be in an early cutscene where she throws down with something, gets her mask forcibly ripped off, and she spends the rest of the game in a human made mask with a more transparent faceplate.

either that or give her a new character model where after EXTENSIVE cybernetic and genetic modification she is able to exist without the helmet all together, make it such a dramatic shift that it is the new normal for Quarians her generation and older (since they will be at war with the Geth)

I don't really mind how she looks I'm just more interested to see how they reveal her face. If it feels out of place and unnecessary then it will ruin the scene entirely.

Perhaps if they did it early on and through the Mass Effect 2 save system, you and Tali are in the sack and she turns round and there she is in the nip (not entirely but you know without the suit like) it would be something not expected as there's no build up to it unlike a big death scene as so many have mentioned.

It would be nice if you could move about in a conversation, how many people just stand on the one spot for ages like....

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here