Apple Voted Largest Influence On Gaming Industry

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

If we're looking at the last five years I may believe that the iphone has had the biggest influence on the industry . . . I wouldn't have chosen it, but I can see the rational behind it. But this clearly isn't limited to recent history and in that case the iphone seems woefully outclassed.

The games that are so popular on smart phones today had been extremely popular on the internet for some time before. If they'd been a niche thing I'd understand the worth in popularizing them on a new platform, but flash games have been a major internet phenomena for over a decade.

And on that note, given that Flash is largely responsible for making these online games possible, it seems downright insulting to nominate Jobs for this award. Jobs has gone on multiple ridiculous rants about Flash and Adobe. And either he did this without bothering to understand their point, or he purposefully skewed things because he didn't like Adobe. Either way this is unbecoming behavior.

You all are wrong.

Obviously cheap remakes of free Flash games being sold on a gimmicky closed platform introduced by a dude who hated gaming has more impact on our medium than Microsoft's Windows and XBox, Sony's Playstation, and Nintendo's NES and Wii.

How can it be more obvious?

People seem to forget how many mainstays in certain genres only exist because of Shigeru Miyamoto's input. Seriously the contributions (no matter how appreciated) of Steve Jobs and Gabe Newell are miniscule by comparison.

I guess this goes to show how much a person's death can color a person's opinion about the deceased.

Well the article forgets to add in the fact that the survey was given at a convention that mostly focuses on handheld technology such as android, iproducts and the like.

Add in that fact and it kinda makes this a no brainer.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2011/11/02/steve-jobs-voted-most-influential-man-in-video-games-igniting-a-firestorm-of-complaints/

This further proves how retarded apple followers are.

I'm sure this had nothing to do at all with the fact that he recently died and for some reason people seem to be swooning over him suddenly. >.>

Sagacious Zhu:

My expression exactly. Just because the man died doesn't mean he suddenly had a massive effect on the gaming industry. There are many companies who have shaped the gaming market much more than Apple in the past few years.

Seriously? Shigeru Miyamoto 7%, I'm not a Nintendo fan but he created or helped create some of gaming's most iconic/well known characters and games. He part of the reason Nintendo is a major force in the games industry and it's had a large influence on gaming and culture. Some people's childhoods were built on the stuff he made and as result has effected their life as an adult as well.

L10nH3ArT:
Well the article forgets to add in the fact that the survey was given at a convention that mostly focuses on handheld technology such as android, iproducts and the like.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2011/11/02/steve-jobs-voted-most-influential-man-in-video-games-igniting-a-firestorm-of-complaints/

So they left out that key detail just to get us all riled up? Really? I hope that's not the case but it sure looks like it.

CrystalShadow:
Um, what? Steve Jobs is the most influential person in Gaming???

The same Steve Jobs that essentially crippled gaming on Macs for a decade because he doesn't like them?

Ugh.

This is literally a kick in the teeth to the gaming community.

The Steve Jobs who didn't bother to patch video card drivers until Gabe Newell decided that he wanted Steam on the iOS Steve Jobs?

Sneezeguard:
Seriously? Shigeru Miyamoto 7%, I'm not a Nintendo fan but he created or helped create some of gaming's most iconic/well known characters and games. He part of the reason Nintendo is a major force in the games industry and it's had a large influence on gaming and culture. Some people's childhoods were built on the stuff he made and as result has effected their life as an adult as well.

Hes also arguably the reason we have consoles today at all, I mean when the videogame market crumbled the only ones who were willing to release a console was a little known Japanese company called nintendo, but without games from someone like Miyamoto its possible that it would have flopped and no one else would have tried it again.

And I still have no interest or desire for an iPhone or any mobile gaming.

Maybe one day, but I still want a good game or two first.

So where the hell is Bill Gates and Windows? What, they're nonfactors now?

The man who made mario brought back gaming from the dead...screw the apple fans theey don't know anything

Hahahaha!

Oh wait they're serious. Let me laugh even harder

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go shout because I can't that most of the people who voted for this obviously does not know what the word innovation means or that just because their the face of something doesn't mean that they are directly involved with said "innovations."

Devil's Advocate: iPhone, Wii and Facebook made gamers out of our moms, aunts, grandfathers, and jocks. Angry Birds has 500 million downloads. For *us* those people had minimal impact, but to Joe and Jill on the street, Miyamoto is a guy nerds talk about if they even know the name.

I wonder about the number of console+PC gamers compared to Facebook/iPhone/Wii only gamers?

One of the women I work with still makes fun of us, and nephew, to playing "those stupid games" but still plays Wii bowling.

I'd still pick different answers though.

LordBongo:
I'll admit that I'm guilty of occasional Steve Jobs worship. But this... this is just not at all right. Sure, the iPhenomenon introduced a lot of people to the joy of casual gaming, but it didn't define a generation like the NES did.

I'd say the iphenomenon IS defining a generation of gaming.

I'm sorry what did you say? I temporary blacked out from stupid overload.

The IPhone is becoming a mover and shaker in games but it's still the fresh young kid of the industry, not the Earth shattering root that such titles call for. It's just a survey, so whatever, but it's a little disconcerting.

Well it's pretty clear that this is bullshit, judging by the comments and factors of it all...
But Steve Jobs wasn't a god, although it seems the world would like to think he was...

There is a difference between an influence and a good influence.

Man who makes Microsoft, who then not only make one of the 3 current generation consoles, but are the owner of the prominent PC operating system for gaming, annihilated by a guy who's company created the Mac, which if you put in the same sentence as gaming will result in derisive laughter. GG professionals, GG.

BS.

This is quite simply the cult of apple rising again and trying to push their religion.

Excuse me while I laugh.

Redlin5:

Sagacious Zhu:

My expression exactly. Just because the man died doesn't mean he suddenly had a massive effect on the gaming industry. There are many companies who have shaped the gaming market much more than Apple in the past few years.

Maybe I should elaborate my previous Rageface

Granted, the Apple line of handheld products certainly launched a renaissance in casual gaming, providing small developers with the means of selling their products in ways previously unavailable on such a large scale.

However, if we are recognizing the new resurgence of casual games, I think that more recognition should go to the developers who made the games rather than the CEO who was in charge of the company that distributed them.

More than Nintendo.

Wow.

Eh, im not so sure at all.

I mean, sure, the iPhone has had a MASSIVE impact on gaming, its arguably the device that really got handheld going. The DS was still (mostly) exclusive to people who had a console or two back home, with the iPhone, that was a whole different story. I havent owned a single Apple device in my entire life, and I dont plan on owning one in the near future either, but the impact they have had on handheld gaming is undeniable.

That being said, I still think Steam should be the winner he-

Wait, I just realized this thing wasnt about who impacted gaming the most in the last two or three years, but about gaming as a whole.

What the fuck?!?!?!

LOL. Well, I won't say anything because I am a member of what some people like to call the "PC master race" although I also play on my consoles >_>.

OT: You know, if they voted for someone along the lines of Mr Miyamoto, the designer/creator of Halo, John Carmac or anything related to main stream gaming I could accept it and I wouldn't bat an eyelid on the matter. But I find this laughable, I'm sorry.

I'd say Sir Tim Berners-Lee should have been voted top. You know why? He was one the major figures in creating what we are using right now...THE INTERNET!

(To be exact his invention was the World Wide Web and all the code that goes with it (I think thats correct)).

I doubt many of the people who voted even know he is; mainly because he didn't try and make money from his creation.

Bottom Line: No Tim = no XBL, no PSN, no Steam, no Facebook, no MMOs, no AppStore.

*EDIT*

L10nH3ArT:

Well at least adds some context...Still it's highly likely that many of these people didn't even know who Tim was. Heck did they even know any of the names on list besides Jobbs?

I'm at a loss for words... Oh wait, no I'm not. WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTT?? O_o

Wait... what... the... holly... fucking shit is this about?!

The iPhone probably works great for gaming, but it doesn't offer much that you can't get from other phones. Now I don't want to step into the role as a hardcore gamer here and say that what you do on a phone can't be considered gaming, especially seeing that some of my recent games on Steam involves Dungeon Defender and Yosumin, but this is stupid.
If I am taking a shit I might play some game on my phone (doesn't have an iPhone and it still works). If I were to travel far I would use my DS and probably play Professor Layton or Pokemon since that holds my attention much better. Oh well, I guess this is just Apple fans doing their thing and praising the former CEO who recently died.

I hate to sound cold here but honestly...Apples on this list because Jobs died. Well, he is at the top of the list because he died. Ill grant him a position of influence that shouldn't be dismissed, but he is not at influential as others.

Also, most influential on video games? Excuse me but, well...

Think about it. Gygax not only pioneered the RPG and the contemporary fantasy setting, but he probably was the origin of the popular concept of playing a game where the player controls a single avatar. And that's the majority of your major games these days. I doubt that one can even speculate what the gaming landscape would look like without him.

I really cannot take this seriously. 'Professionals' voted in this poll? Good Lord...

"According to a survey distributed to 1,000 videogame industry professionals"

Well that alone makes it complete bullshit anyway. Not that we didn't already know that this is complete bullshit. First of all, these "industry professionals" clearly aren't very professional at all. I don't know if they're just idiots or if they've just got Apple and Steve Jobs on the brain due to him having just passed away, but either way, completely unprofessional. The fact that Miyamoto didn't even get into the double digits says it at all, and even though Gabe Newell did, only 16%? Need I say more on that?

And a survey of just 1,000 people? Like every other survey, the sample size is far too small for these results to actually have any significant value to anything in life. This garbage is not going to make my change my thoughts on cell phone gaming being just another fad for the casuals that took the place of Facebook gaming (which took the place of their Wiis which is why Nintendo has to crawl back to core gamers) and will have its place taken by something else in a year or two. 1,000 people who clearly can't think objectively and would rather give sympathy votes to the recently deceased than people who actually did great things for the industry aren't going to change my thoughts at all.

You know, I'd really hate to see the results of such a poll if they conducted it after someone like Tim Langdell died.

L10nH3ArT:

It makes it a no brainer that they're still completely wrong. The only thing that this changes is that they're clearly biased and purposefully misleading. Gather up a room full of people who are clearly NOT industry professionals at all, get them to say that Apple and Steve Jobs, the creators of the only platform that will let them charge money for their games that should be free on Newgrounds, are the most influential to them (who else are they going to pick?), and then proclaim to the world "GAMING INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS DECLARE APPLE THE LARGEST INFLUENCE ON THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY".

Hats off to Forbes for showing this survey and declaration for what it really is: complete garbage.

I have only one thing to say to this:-

nope.avi

Ya because we never seen flash games before Apple came along, thank god they enlightened us...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here