BioWare's Lead Writer Resigns

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Gennadios:
Not that I care because I'm not playing any more of their games after ME3.

Making a choice on not playing games before they even exist seems rather short-sighted, don't you think?

Caffiene:
Have to respect the guy that wrote Jade Empire - it might have been a very linear game, but the story was impressively done. I look forward to seeing where he ends up.

A part of me wants to see what might happen if he were to join up with Chris Avellone on Obsidian's "kickstarter ideas" thing...

The_root_of_all_evil:

Now, where did I put my Xerox?

Wow... talk about bias. There is definitely a point to be made that many of Bioware's story/location structures feel the same, but that table really goes to the extreme trying to cram things where they dont fit.

The Fade in Dragon Age counts as strongly fitting the cliche of "you go to sleep and have a dream sequence", and the Darkspawn are a sinister organisation that thwarts your efforts?

Jade Empire's "you travel across the land" strongly fits the cliche of "you must travel to four main locations", and a small village from 20 years ago counts as "a sprawling ancient civilisation"?

I dont really remember the Underdark being a ruined sprawling ancient civilisation, either, or needing discovery for that matter. The Underdark is also from BG2, not the first game... Unless they meant the Undercity from the first game, in which case that sort of draws attention to their dubious "4 locations" point instead.

Besides... Cerberus isn't really that interested in you in Mass Effect 1, its more like you stalking them.

Valeran:

Gennadios:
Not that I care because I'm not playing any more of their games after ME3.

Making a choice on not playing games before they even exist seems rather short-sighted, don't you think?

Lately I've been underwhelmed by their games more often than not and I disagree with the way they do business under EA. Too much has to go right for me to find their products worth the time and money again.

For a second there I had a moment of hope that Jennifer Hepler or David Gaider left the studio, but upon fully reading the title I was disappointed. Oh well, I thought Mass Effect was one of the better written Bioware titles recently, so good on him.

Now I'm off to have a stroke every time Gaider or Hepler try to ham-fist in some truly awful political/social commentary into a Bioware game...

And this is coming from a Bioware fan.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Mike Kayatta:
but it's their robustly developed stories and characters that seem to define them.

the thing your missing badly is the fine print like in mass effect 2 the way you interact with your squad and get to know them and do their loyalty missions is something that isnt in your chart, nor is the optional text that gives in depth detail on the world and enhances the players understanding of the world.
if you look at the broad picture like you do 99% of games are the same
1. the setting and main character are introduced
2. a goal appears the character has to meet (weather this is to find a princess or shoot some people, or make a farm)
3. the character faces many trials along the way to achieving this goal meeting new characters who try to help/hinder them and gaining new skills and/or equipment to help them face increasingly harder challenges
4. the goal is achieved all is well

Well I guess when you gotta go you....

The_root_of_all_evil:

Mike Kayatta:
but it's their robustly developed stories and characters that seem to define them.

A war hero and high ranking military commander, a student of many arts attending the most prestigious school in the world, and the wealthy heir to a dwarven throne are all "humble origins" to you?

Your life must be really, really exciting.

I'm a bit scared now. I love Bioware, but I feel like this is a pretty hard hit for them... I wonder if they can find someone who can actually replace their lead writer.

In any case, will be interesting to see what Karpyshyn does next.

Doesn't he look a little like the male shepherd

scorptatious:

Richardplex:

scorptatious:
Well that's too bad. I guess that means Mass Effect 3 could potentially be the last well written Bioware game. Although you never know, whoever replaces him could actually bring a lot of new and interesting ideas to the table.

FYI, He didn't do the script for ME3, Mac Walters did.

He did? My mistake then. I just assumed that since he was the lead writer, he had a part in the script.

Drew Karpyshyn was the lead writer of ME1 and ME2, Mac Walters is the lead writer for ME3.

Well since their next game is C&C anyway it doesn't matter that the story guy is gone. Just keep the class stories good in TORs expansion...(if it lives long enough to get one)

I already miss their old games, but this might be the beginning of the end. Still, my appreciation for the gaming world has been slowly dying anyway, so whatever.

Zaul2010:
Well since their next game is C&C anyway it doesn't matter that the story guy is gone. Just keep the class stories good in TORs expansion...(if it lives long enough to get one)

C&C isn't being made by the main studio, it's being made by Bioware Victory. It's basically just EA using the Bioware name on another studio to draw some attention.

Caffiene:
The Fade in Dragon Age counts as strongly fitting the cliche of "you go to sleep and have a dream sequence", and the Darkspawn are a sinister organisation that thwarts your efforts?

That's just silly, everyone knows the Fade is the Warp, and the Darkspawn are chaos touched.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Mike Kayatta:

Now, I'll be the first one to agree that Bioware's more recent works don't live up to its "high quality story" reputation, but following a formula (like a Hero's Journey archetypal story, found in stories all around the world) doesn't mean anything. And frankly, a lot of that seemed a stretch to include under their categories, especially to someone who's played all their games.

Also, lol @ "at some point you have a dream"

I find it funny that the "BioWare is going to shit" talk started after DA2, a meh game from a long line of good games. A game EA pushed hard for BioWare to finished to capitalize on the success of DA:O.
Sorce, I know people will ask.

Anyway, I hope the lead new lead writer can bring something to the table. I can't wait. I wish you luck Karpyshyn.

Woodsey:

Irridium:
That's a shame. And doesn't bode well to me. Recent Bioware games, apart from The Old Republic, haven't exactly been stellar narrative-wise. But hopefully the current writers improve over time.

Hopefully.

Fingers crossed they keep the Twilight fans exclusive to the Dragon Age team.

/partiallyfacetiouscomment

What was more concerning was the guy who left last year (?) because he felt they had no interest in making the type of games they'd used to anymore.

That was the lead designer of Origins. And it seems he was kind of right. Bioware doesn't seem interested in making old-style RPG's anymore. Instead they seem content in trying to go after the COD audience. While saying they're staying true to their roots to keep their old RPG-loving audience.

Which, while not exactly bad in and of itself, is still a bit sad to see.

Not sure why they couldn't just use Mass Effect for the CoD audience while making the Dragon Age games to appeal to the old-style RPG audience and effectively be able to cater to both groups, but whatever.

Richardplex:

scorptatious:

Richardplex:

FYI, He didn't do the script for ME3, Mac Walters did.

He did? My mistake then. I just assumed that since he was the lead writer, he had a part in the script.

Drew Karpyshyn was the lead writer of ME1 and ME2, Mac Walters is the lead writer for ME3.

Not quite. Mac Walters and Drew were both credited as lead writers for ME2.

Best of luck in your future endevours Drew. Loved your work at BioWare. As people have mentioned, most of the games followed a set pattern, but damn it, I liked that game. Every one of that game. Also, your books and KoTOR are the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Zahn wrote his Thawn trilogy. Thanks for the good times and all my best hopes for more good books.

Bioware has been dead for years. EA killed it and is wearing a suit made out of its skin.

So he's left writing decent game scripts to continue writing shitty novels? Seriously, his novel prose is shlock, and his Darth Bane and Revan books show that he has absolutely no respect for other people's work when adapting elements of people's stories (See Darth Bane himself, and the Jedi Exile's portrayal in their respective books compared to their original portrayals)

Caffiene:
Have to respect the guy that wrote Jade Empire - it might have been a very linear game, but the story was impressively done. I look forward to seeing where he ends up.

A part of me wants to see what might happen if he were to join up with Chris Avellone on Obsidian's "kickstarter ideas" thing...

The_root_of_all_evil:

Wow... talk about bias. There is definitely a point to be made that many of Bioware's story/location structures feel the same, but that table really goes to the extreme trying to cram things where they dont fit.

Jade Empire's "you travel across the land" strongly fits the cliche of "you must travel to four main locations", and a small village from 20 years ago counts as "a sprawling ancient civilisation"?

I dont really remember the Underdark being a ruined sprawling ancient civilisation, either, or needing discovery for that matter. The Underdark is also from BG2, not the first game... Unless they meant the Undercity from the first game, in which case that sort of draws attention to their dubious "4 locations" point instead.

Also you dont really start from humble origins in Kotor, id say it loosely fits - but in reality you are Lord Voldemort and everyone has heard your name.

Wow... could you give haters any bigger ammunition EA? This ONLY confirms the fears Ive had since ME2 was released

Frotality:
good to see drew get the hell out of dodge. he probably sees the same future for bioware that EA does: yearly mass effect spin-offs and dragon age 3: the return of frieza.

all that aside, his work was getting kind of stale, and its good that he realized it was time to move on to something else. im eager to see what kind of stories he can pen outside of the formula he basically established for bioware, and even more interested to see how bioware will cope without him. i just sincerely hope gaider doesnt get his job...

this is exactly how I feel. . . are you a clone? Im definitely not a clone . . .

Nurb:
Bioware has been dead for years. EA killed it and is wearing a suit made out of its skin.

It isn't even a well constructed suit.

Irridium:

Richardplex:

scorptatious:

Not quite. Mac Walters and Drew were both credited as lead writers for ME2.

Wow is that true? Then it completely explains why ME2 story was significantly shittier than the amazingly written story in ME1. I mean save from actually reading the, from what I hear laughable script, this is the best evidence someone could give me that ME3 story will be utterly hilarious

Worr Monger:
I'm just glad that Mass Effect is finished. That's all I really care about. This doesn't exactly spell doom for Bioware, but possibly a change... which could be a good thing.

You really think Mass effect is finished? Ahaahahahaha Mass effect is finished like call of duty is finished

Wish the best for him. Not to mention the trends of bashing BioWare recently and nitpicking just about everything they do has gotta get stressful to the point of aggravation.

LiquidGrape:
I just love how people immediately break out their conspiracy hats.

"EA did it! BioWare is out of control! I didn't like Dragon Age II and I won't rest until everyone hears about it!"

The guy has been working on what is, in writing terms, an incredibly exhausting medium for over a decade now. I wasn't surprised to hear these news at all.

But I'd have to say, I found Karpyshyn a fairly mediocre writer. Better than Mac Walters, but not very enticing at all.
The real writing talent at BioWare is the core team consisting of David Gaider, Sheryl Chee and Mary Kirby, as well as Lukas Kristjanson and Patrick Weekes.

I equally love how ultimate fans crawl out of the woodwork to call everyone conspiracy theorists just because they arent in denial about the downfall.

But to each their own. I only wish that I were that . . . ill say, optimistic.

I met the guy when he did a book signing at a store near me house he was a lot nicer then some of the writers i have met and I've always loved his work. But at the same time its not good to stay at the same company forever so maybe this is the best for all of them. Good luck to you sir

Worgen:
He is probably retiring to start his long search for a neck.

Oh good god you always know how to make me chuckle. He does sort of have a neck-less Henry Rollin's look to him.

Writers write for the joy of writing first, then the accolades and money last (if you're lucky enough to carve yourself a niche in the industry). Fresh blood could be a good thing, assuming they go fresh, but whatever the case I wish him well.

Going to miss Drew's involvement in the ME universe. Won't be the same without him :(

gof22:
Perhaps it would be a good time for Bioware to hire Neil Gaiman. The next ME game will be called Mass Effect: Galactic Gods. Shepard is hired by someone named Mr. Friday who turns out to be a Turian god.

I could've sworn I was wearing pants before I read this. But in all seriousness, Bioware, get on this right now. RIGHT NOW. Either that or Gaiman should write the script for the new Thief game.

SurfinTaxt:

LiquidGrape:

"EA did it! BioWare is out of control! I didn't like Dragon Age II and I won't rest until everyone hears about it!"

The guy has been working on what is, in writing terms, an incredibly exhausting medium for over a decade now. I wasn't surprised to hear these news at all.

But I'd have to say, I found Karpyshyn a fairly mediocre writer. Better than Mac Walters, but not very enticing at all.
The real writing talent at BioWare is the core team consisting of David Gaider, Sheryl Chee and Mary Kirby, as well as Lukas Kristjanson and Patrick Weekes.

I equally love how ultimate fans crawl out of the woodwork to call everyone conspiracy theorists just because they arent in denial about the downfall.

Even more so, I love how ideological dissenters will endeavour to paint people who doesn't act as if BioWare strangled their first-born child as unthinking cultists.

Seriously, in the post you quote I even say I thought Karpyshyn was a poor writer. I'm not sure what leeway you found for inferring fanboyism, but kudos on the imagination, I guess.

LiquidGrape:

SurfinTaxt:

LiquidGrape:

Even more so, I love how ideological dissenters will endeavour to paint people who doesn't act as if BioWare strangled their first-born child as unthinking cultists.

Seriously, in the post you quote I even say I thought Karpyshyn was a poor writer. I'm not sure what leeway you found for inferring fanboyism, but kudos on the imagination, I guess.

Right, you also admit that you prefer him over mac walters whilst defending bioware so... youre defending them over something that is clearly negative for the company since macs been given the lead

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here