Colleges and Employers Now Requiring Applicants' Facebook Passwords

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

The day I need to legally surrender my password in order to get a job is the day I delete Facebook. I'll still want the job and Facebook just isn't that important to me but there is no way in hell I'm letting my boss control my account.

Wow... I'm in the military, and people think WE are bad at being intrusive!!! I guess people still have the right to say 'F*ck off', well, i'd hope so anyway! I'd rather delete the bastard account than have that!

Then again if I try and log onto facebook on a computer I haven't used before my account locks down, and I have to go into my email and answer security questions! So it wouldn't bother me giving them my password... they wouldn't be able to log on anyway!! :P

Angry Juju:

endtherapture:
This is completely wrong.

Luckily I never post on Facebook, only use it for inboxing and stuff, but god, I would not want my job looking at some of the stuff I say there.

It's pretty much like asking for your email address, or to go through your phone. It doesn't have a place.

Fr]anc[is:
Solution: don't use Facebook. Nobody gives a shit about what you just ate or the song lyrics you just posted anyway.

Saldy FB is a massive part of social life nowadays, keeping in the loop with people and stuff. I only use it to attend events and inbox people, cos it save A LOT of money on texting, but you know. It's useful, just posting stuff is idiotic.

No, you believe that it's a massive part of social life, a lot of people see no need for facebook and don't have any trouble by not having a facebook account.

and it doesn't save that much money on texts.. unless you're having a conversation with your friend through texts (which is stupid in my opinion) then you're not spending more than $2-3 a week at most.

Well it is.

I've got study groups set up on Facebook so I can discuss problems with my degree with other people on my course, which is incredibly useful.

Loads of my friends live a while away, so I can't meet up with them all the time. I have conversations with some of these people through texts, but my contract only allows 3000 a month so for everyone.

I literally only use Facebook as an instant messenger and getting help and organising SOME social events and parties, it's cheaper than texting.

I have another solution - intended for the fun of it, but reading this it seems handy.

A few weeks ago I started playing around with an ENIGMA simulator - accurate to the real thing - from http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/en/enigmasim.htm to muck about with. You know, as one does.

Then one night I got one of my occasional outbursts of pure nerdiness, and wrote a manual with a revised format to use it, based on the original format but adapted for social networking. I bolted a day-by-day key list for 2012 onto the end, and sent it out to a few of my friends. So now I just post encrypted messages on Facebook. They look up the key for the day, which today is

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Day | Rotors |Rotor Shift| Jumper Settings | Validators |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 09 | III V IV | 26 15 01 | AX BG CZ DJ EO FL IV MU PQ RT | HXW QPH GIL LZO |

Then they read the message:

= APZA>PUBLIC = 1203090037 = 1o1 = 124 = CRW JVQ =

JNQPH FXVTI NXUIW XDCAQ UDVFA
IYEKE NHUPY SKIFN VTRTJ XZILO
WJIFT NRFPY ROWFT MYHHM NJRAZ
XKNAD FREYJ TFYVS PRNST YXGKO
ZYEKC WZPMJ MNZSZ MTWRD ZXZUV
PNFD=

But hey, remember that first five-letter block is just for validation and shouldn't be decrypted. Just so you know. :-)

This is exactly why I don't have facebook. Simply put, I don't want my future employers to stick their nose in my business.
On the offchance that I DO get a facebook account, why on EARTH would I use my real name? Just use an online nickname, and have a fake facebook-account tied to your real name.

endtherapture:

Angry Juju:

endtherapture:

Luckily I never post on Facebook, only use it for inboxing and stuff, but god, I would not want my job looking at some of the stuff I say there.

It's pretty much like asking for your email address, or to go through your phone. It doesn't have a place.

Saldy FB is a massive part of social life nowadays, keeping in the loop with people and stuff. I only use it to attend events and inbox people, cos it save A LOT of money on texting, but you know. It's useful, just posting stuff is idiotic.

No, you believe that it's a massive part of social life, a lot of people see no need for facebook and don't have any trouble by not having a facebook account.

and it doesn't save that much money on texts.. unless you're having a conversation with your friend through texts (which is stupid in my opinion) then you're not spending more than $2-3 a week at most.

Well it is.

I've got study groups set up on Facebook so I can discuss problems with my degree with other people on my course, which is incredibly useful.

Loads of my friends live a while away, so I can't meet up with them all the time. I have conversations with some of these people through texts, but my contract only allows 3000 a month so for everyone.

I literally only use Facebook as an instant messenger and getting help and organising SOME social events and parties, it's cheaper than texting.

You don't need to use facebook for any of those things.. i understand where you're coming from and how you're using facebook. but saying that facebook is obligatory isn't really something i can agree with.

This was all over the radio yesterday. It's only a matter of time till someone calls bullshit on this on Capital Hill. It's sad that anyone lives in a culture that is full of individual who think they have a right to this kind of stuff. The worst is that school systems are doing this. As if the higher education system in America was not gamed enough. Also, giving out that information is in direct violation of the terms of use for Facebook... or at least the last time I agreed to anything it was. Who knows, I could be wrong.

Think about this: there was that pesky article a week or two ago here on the Escapist about a court deciding that a guys password was protected under the 5th amendment. If that comes to stick (which I definitely hope it does) then would this not be illegal to ask for this information or illegal to discriminate against a discerning, logical individual for not giving up this information?

Also, as an aside. Just make a fake one, claim you never use it, put a few photos up and BAMALAM! Clean facebook for the nosey, privacy infringing work or college.

Wai...wha...Why?

endtherapture:

Fr]anc[is:
Solution: don't use Facebook. Nobody gives a shit about what you just ate or the song lyrics you just posted anyway.

This. It also saves me credit when my friends all get a text alert when I leave them a facebook message. SO it essentially replaced texting for me :D

Considering the fact I plan on getting a civilian job within computer security and combating computer crime, this is disgusting. I'm not one to run down the road screaming "double-password protect everything!" but this is crossing the line.

I keep my social media private for a reason, to protect myself from criminals. If I'm just going to show everyone my details and my activities, why don't I just delete the bloody thing beforehand?

There's no Data Protection Act if I'm physically showing you the information and you take notes or if I hand over my PW, so it's far from secure for me. Physically logging in so you can have a nosey peek? You'll lose out even more when I walk out following your hypocrisy.

So naturally, I have no qualms with anything I hold on the internet and under the DPA I'll give an employer ALL of it on paper. I do, however, have an issue with the way that information is collected and a nosy look through my FB with MY password is exactly that: A very big issue. It's my entire future civilian career kind-of-an-issue. Is it not disgusting to demand employees / education candidates surrender these security measures which they MUST keep personal and intact for the sake of profiling? It's just too far.

Why don't you just ask for a copy of their damn house keys and 24 hours alone to their house?

Hiroshi Mishima:

Slayer_2:

Bymidew:

Obviously, this is intended to weed out stupid people, not devious ones.

Apparently, only the most technologically illiterate people who willingly give out their information to any online account. Lie or make a fake account, that's the beauty of the internet.

Except if they're that interested in knowing, there's nothing stopping them from doing a Facebook search for your name (a very large number of Facebook users use real names for offline friends and family), or even to find/look up your friends and family to get more information about you.

Honestly, I think back to a commercial which used to air after 9/11. It would say "Terrorists tried to change our country" and then it'd show houses with a bunch of flags and go "they succeeded." That commercial was trying to make it sound like we all got more patriotic (which is funny, cause it didn't feel that way), but really it was absolutely true.. just nothing to do with people having flags. They DID succeed in fucking up the US so it no longer trusts even its own citizens.

Good luck finding me, I'm as private as FB will get, don't have my face in my prof pic, and my name is as common as dirt. almost 1 billion users makes FB a great place to hide.

bjj hero:
Im loving all these posters whos jobs are so awesome that they would never take a job from a company that wants to see their facbook. Good luck getting on the career ladder.

I dont use facebook and I live in the UK so this doesnt really bother me.

Finally all the "Just lie people"...

The easiest way to get fired is to get caught lying on your interview/application. I hope your face is nowhere on your actual facebook account.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since you don't have an FB account, but it's called privacy settings. They aren't ironclad, but I HIGHLY doubt an employer could find me, and even if they could, all they could see is name and an icon-sized prof pic (which isn't even of me). Common sense prevails... don't be stupid, you wouldn't leave your car unlocked in a parking lot, don't leave your FB account open (and this isn't just because of job interviewers).

And it's things like these that are the very reason I don't have a Facebook account...

It should be private...

Land of the free and home of the brave eh?

Good luck with that.

So facebook is the problem and not the people pressuring you into giving them their passwords?

Naw people youll have to find another excuse not to have FB(not that its an inherently good thing)

Mimsofthedawg:

CapitalistPig:

Tharwen:
Why do they care? That's the part I don't understand.

Well as your parents told you the birds and the bees ill tell you the reason an employer wants to know if there pictures of you doing a keg stand on the internet. Oh wait I just did. People post all sorts of racey crap on the internet whether its their pictures or affiliations and verbal posts. The real world doesn't want to associate with your personal life, and yet people mix the two everyday by posting their personal lives while saying they work for a specific company. Same for schools. It should be a retrospective moment to understand why things have come to this. the younger generations have no filter and "Surprise" its catching up with them.

There are so many other reasons for this though.

Are you telling me you've never talked to a highschool friend when you were 16 and she was 15 about "sexxy stuff"? Maybe you were sexually active in highschool and you and your girlfriend occasionally talked about sex, making a passing comment such as "I got the condoms!" or something to that effect? Maybe you simply DISCUSSED sex, but had no interest in actually having sex with him or her?

I also know several people who turned 18 went to college but their bf/gf's were 17 and still a senior in highschool. Such relationships are questionable. Admitting to having sex while you're underage is illegal in most US states and would be an automatic redflag.

I'm a HUGE advocate that US sexual laws need to be revamped but there are TONS of other things too.

Discussing that you had a cigar at your 18th bday? Not enough to make the employer reject you, but definitely enough to raise your health care premiums by several thousand dollars. Have you ever smoked pot and mentioned it? Good luck finding anything in terms of jobs. Are you an avid D&Der? Yea... society still looks down on us. Is it apparent that you play(ed) games for 20 hours or more per week, at least at some point in time? Probably look irresponsible. Are you a crazy, gun-toting republican and your employer is a progressive that thinks guns are evil? Probably gonna drop on his list. Are you homosexual? Many states still have laws allowing employers to discriminate against them - even if you aren't a rainbow wearing, lisp speaking, wears-designer-brands-all-the-time stereotypical homosexual and they'd be non-the-wiser EXCEPT for that facebook.

I can go on and on and on about this stuff. Bottom line, it needs to change. Now.

At any rate, I'm gonna be saying good bye to facebook real soon!

I believe this all falls under my initial warning that people should not attach such a personal level to their social networking. Its a trend. If you advocate your personal life on the internet you shouldn't be surprised if your professional life takes a hit for it. And what you are describing actually breaks multi laws in discrimination in the work place and would be ample material for a case in court. So I don't profiling so much as keeping youth angst separate from the professional world as the target.

TestECull:
Over my dead body they'll get it. Firstly I don't even use that bullshit. I see it as a waste of time under the best circumstances. Secondly, my private life is just that: Private. What I do at three in the morning when I'm off the clock is none of their business, and as such, they will not know about it. All they need to know about is how I am when I'm on the clock.

Anyone asks for it from me? They'll be told I don't have any social networking accounts. If they insist I make one, I'll make one telling them they can shove the job so far up their ass it comes out their ears, and to expect a call from a lawyer regarding an invasion of privacy lawsuit. My info, my rules, end of discussion.

CapitalistPig:

Tharwen:
Why do they care? That's the part I don't understand.

Well as your parents told you the birds and the bees ill tell you the reason an employer wants to know if there pictures of you doing a keg stand on the internet. Oh wait I just did. People post all sorts of racey crap on the internet whether its their pictures or affiliations and verbal posts. The real world doesn't want to associate with your personal life, and yet people mix the two everyday by posting their personal lives while saying they work for a specific company. Same for schools. It should be a retrospective moment to understand why things have come to this. the younger generations have no filter and "Surprise" its catching up with them.

Doesn't matter. What you do off the clock when you're with friends is none of a potential employer's business.

Good luck having an employer see it that way. Real careers in professional atmospheres require certain in/out of workplace etiquette. Same with schools. Given that the current generation of facebook users deny any sort of filter they're gonna realize real quick how detrimental that viewpoint will be to their future careers.

CapitalistPig:

Good luck having an employer see it that way. Real careers in professional atmospheres require certain in/out of workplace etiquette. Same with schools. Given that the current generation of facebook users deny any sort of filter they're gonna realize real quick how detrimental that viewpoint will be to their future careers.

Don't care. What I do off the clock is my business only. They have no business sticking their nose into my private life at home, and I'm going to block them at every turn if they try it.

"After 9/11, we have a culture where some people think it's OK for the government to be this involved in our lives, that it's OK to turn everything over to the government. But it's not. We still have privacy rights in this country, and we still have a Constitution."

So, private institutions requiring you to give them any info they want = the government intruding on your privacy. Fascinating.

Redlin5:
The day I need to legally surrender my password in order to get a job is the day I delete Facebook. I'll still want the job and Facebook just isn't that important to me but there is no way in hell I'm letting my boss control my account.

You won't be able to get a job if you don't give the employer your account name and password. No employer is going to believe you don't have a social networking account.

PercyBoleyn:

Redlin5:

You won't be able to get a job if you don't give the employer your account name and password. No employer is going to believe you don't have a social networking account.

Yeah, no. They can look for it if they want, it won't exist if this becomes standard here in Canada.

And if a social networking site is required to get the job (what an asinine concept) I'll just make an account with nothing on it.

Redlin5:

Yeah, no. They can look for it if they want, it won't exist if this becomes standard here in Canada.

And if a social networking site is required to get the job (what an asinine concept) I'll just make an account with nothing on it.

It doesn't really matter since the employer will automatically suspect you're lying. The same can be said about making a blank account. Hopefully a law will be passed that will ban this idiotic practice but until then I don't see this working out any other way.

PercyBoleyn:

Redlin5:

It doesn't really matter since the employer will automatically suspect you're lying. The same can be said about making a blank account. Hopefully a law will be passed that will ban this idiotic practice but until then I don't see this working out any other way.

Thank god none of it is happening here. Well, looks like I'm not getting a job in the States anytime soon.

TestECull:

CapitalistPig:

Don't care. What I do off the clock is my business only. They have no business sticking their nose into my private life at home, and I'm going to block them at every turn if they try it.

then they fire you. lol. I'm not talking about some local yocal job. I mean law firms, and labs. Places where you need BS degrees. They wouldn't care about "rebels" or the "fighters."

Fr]anc[is:

But, clearly somebody does give a shit, seeing how universities are asking for Facebook passwords.

:P

This has been a thing since Myspace. Why are people so surprised?

CapitalistPig:

then they fire you. lol. I'm not talking about some local yocal job. I mean law firms, and labs. Places where you need BS degrees. They wouldn't care about "rebels" or the "fighters."

Their loss, and I'm not gonna work at a law firm or a lab anyway.

JoJo:

Irridium:
What if I don't have a facebook account?

Then clearly you don't exist and aren't a real person, because everyone has a Facebook account these days.

You caught me, my name is Vladimir. /russainaccent

Que the "grim realization" thread. When they had student body elections at my school, one of the candidates asked everyone "Who has a facebook?" Literally (not the figurative kind) everyone but me raised their hand. It wasn't a small crowed either. At least a 500 people were packed in the auditorium.

I'd tell em to go fuck themselves. Invasion of my life by an institute I was paying for to learn me some shit can be totally fucked.

However, ditching Facebook would also be a good plan.

Surely this is some sort of incitement to break a separate agreement you have to sign up with Facebook? I would of thought that would be covered by contractual law of some sort? (Though not American so accept it seems to not be the case).

With regards to the colleges - I assume this is because in the US the college teams act as a training ground for professional sports stars yes? In the UK a while back there was a "scandal" involving some young tennis players (if memory serves - sorry just woken up) facebook accounts and what was being said on them? But surely there are plenty of ways for both colleges and work places to deal with what any student/employee is saying outside of work already if it brings that institution/company into disrepute?

Mayhemski:
Surely this is some sort of incitement to break a separate agreement you have to sign up with Facebook? I would of thought that would be covered by contractual law of some sort? (Though not American so accept it seems to not be the case).

With regards to the colleges - I assume this is because in the US the college teams act as a training ground for professional sports stars yes? In the UK a while back there was a "scandal" involving some young tennis players (if memory serves - sorry just woken up) facebook accounts and what was being said on them? But surely there are plenty of ways for both colleges and work places to deal with what any student/employee is saying outside of work already if it brings that institution/company into disrepute?

Yeah they do already do something. At the university of Minnesota a Mortuary science major was failed in her ethics class, suspended, and is facing further disciplinary action to see if she deserves expulsion for talking about her cadaver on facebook which is a direct violation of code of conduct for the school, and her professional mortuary society (aka baring you from a future career.) I believe the point is to streamline the process so these kinds of scandals don't occur in the first place. You just won't be accepted to school. Also to give kids the hint that you shouldn't give out personal potentially damaging information about yourself on the internet.

As far as jobs go...... If you get a DUI while working at McDonald's and they find out, you get fired on moral grounds. Which is standard procedure for most workplace practice. Its becoming a part of background checks because the current facebook users don't know how to filter themselves and therefore must be checked out for the company's/school's own interest of association. Users are completely to blame for this outcome.

GRANTED I think a lot of this will all get shot down in court as cases begin to become convoluted as to what is accessible and what isn't. The current code is, "if someone can find it and report it then you are held responsible regardless of you friending the university/workplace."

Never had a facebook and never will.

The day I have to take a trip back into the states (god I hate your country's stupid customs ridiculousness compared to EVERYWHERE else in the world) and they ask me to login to my facebook account before letting me across the border is the day I move to antartica.

I would be ok with it but only if your boss gives you his password and username as well. Also if asked I would more than likely just say I don't use facebook.

I'm already out of college and employed before they started asking for this, but if it ever comes up I'll be able to look the interviewer right in the eye and tell him/her that I don't have a Facebook account (which I honestly don't). What are they going to do? Demand that I go out and make one just so they can check it?

I'd like to see an employer, or whoever personally oversees applicants, deal with the response "Violates contract with Facebook to share information. Go to them for it." even if they don't have to do much to convince the Supreme Overlords of Facebook to fork over the info. Maybe add in other laws or legal cases where privacy was protected as a round about way of saying SCREW YOU!!! Personally, I'd take the sheet to whoever is overseeing applications and ask why they expect me to break an agreement with one entity just for them and not leave until given a damn good answer.

The funny thing is that I know one person who has about half a dozen FB accounts just to play those stupid games. Free daily gifts that you definitely need, having more 'Villes to play with, and less hassling other people to pitch in. What's to stop them from having an account just for employers to see? After all, all those "friends" with the same last name and similar pictures could easily just be family members with a stunning degree of similarity in everything.

Now I did give my phone number to my doctors because they may find something in one of their tests that should be dealt with NOW rather than in a few weeks. Not to mention reminders when an appointment is coming up soon so I can get out of anything else that may pop up for that same time. They know better than to call just to see how I feel because I'll definitely be calling them if anything feels wrong. Stores, however, have no good reason to have my contact info when I leave the building.

I am rather confused why they'd want the password, except maybe to try to get everything they need to steal my identity.
Either case, they would be sorely disappointed in me, as I don't have a Facebook account.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here