Day-One DLC Files Appear on Mass Effect 3 Discs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

The game is out. You can buy it. From Ashes is $10. You are already buying a $60 game, what is ten more dollars going to do?

Are you that insecure about your money that you are going to completely flip your shit over $10?

Just play the damn game, have fun, and shut up.

Awexsome:

GonzoGamer:

Loop Stricken:

Some of us did.
Then other people shouted us down when Bioware released their "you're all wrong, we totally made this after the game went gold" press release.

At least it seems like even the fanboys are getting fed up with this crap.
The question is will sales suffer enough to stop publishers from carving out game content as "bonus" stuff. I'm thinking probably no.
I'm curious as to how much they will get away with before they have to pull back. Endings being sold separately?

See, the haters are still the ones overreacting compared to the fanboys over protecting.

Game production takes a lot of time and isn't set in stone. The script only proves to me that he was an idea at one point but then was cut due to deadline constraints. Every developer (except Valve) has deadlines to keep in order to keep making games, if you can't fit it in the game it gets cut.

It's most likely that the character was getting into production and was one of the much later things cut leaving plenty of work done on the character left useless until they could finish it up after it went gold. Pieces of that unfinished work easily could show up on the disk.

Until someone can confirm that the content about the character on the disk is exactly the worst case scenario of fully, polished, playable content locked on the disk which would be perfectly functional otherwise... It's still overreacting and jumping to conclusions because this entire game has been surrounded by people just dying for reasons to hate Bioware jumping to conclusions.

Who's overreacting? Most people seem to have been expecting this including me.
But it also concerns me that these "unfinished" and "bonus" dlc portions available at launch, seem to be getting larger. At first it was little items but now it seems common for it to be gameplay content. So don't pretend that these concerns are completely unfounded.

Z of the Na'vi:
The game is out. You can buy it. From Ashes is $10. You are already buying a $60 game, what is ten more dollars going to do?

Are you that insecure about your money that you are going to completely flip your shit over $10?

This is the sort of viewpoint that frequently comes from someone who takes a strong stance against internet piracy (I have no idea what you really think about piracy. I apologize in advance for singling you out specifically). Company screws over consumers, whatever, don't care...Consumers screw over company, how dare they! lousy thieves!

$10 dollars is a 17% increase in price. I'm sure EA/Bioware doesn't sniff at 17% of it's revenue. How long before we are paying 70-80 at retail in addition to being bilked out of yet another $10-20? If we let them, the fatcats will take advantage.

Higgs303:

Z of the Na'vi:

This is the sort of viewpoint that frequently comes from someone who takes a strong stance against internet piracy (I have no idea what you really think about piracy. I apologize in advance for singling you out specifically). Company screws over consumers, whatever, don't care...Consumers screw over company, how dare they! lousy thieves!

$10 dollars is a 17% increase in price. I'm sure EA/Bioware doesn't sniff at 17% of it's revenue. How long before we are paying 70-80 at retail in addition to being bilked out of yet another $10-20? If we let them, the fatcats will take advantage.

Good point.

Z of the Na'vi:

Of course people are gonna flip their shit $10 more when it's content that's already on the damn disk! It's disgusting, and goes against all good business. It's ten dollars that you shouldn't have to spend to begin with? I don't know about you, but I'm not okay with rolling over and taking it simply because I wouldn't be a "good little consumer" if I don't. If you want to go ahead and convince yourself that it's okay for publishers to nickel and dime you for everything you've got simply because you think you'll upset your glorious overlords, then go right ahead, but don't tell people quit their complaining if it's entirely within reason to do so.

Don't ever say that the industry is going down the drain if you're going to take this kind of stance.

It's also possible that they had the basics done, like the walk animations and similar things (I heard somewhere he's was in the story reguardless, or at least planned to be, so it'd make sense they had the data already) done. It's entirely possible they had the basic stuff done to put on-disk. Walking, speech, and things like that. But perhaps they didn't have other aspects, like the place his mission takes place on, done in time to actually be put fully on the disk.

No excuse will matter though. People are already pissed and this will only make them angrier. It could have not been there and it wouldn't have mattered to many already angry.

Higgs303:

I don't mind spending more money to get more content. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Mass Effect 3 is worth full retail value and then some, from my experience with it. I'm not trying to change how EA does business, nor make a stance on the matter.

I was merely giving my opinion.

fozzy360:
Of course people are gonna flip their shit $10 more when it's content that's already on the damn disk! It's disgusting, and goes against all good business. It's ten dollars that you shouldn't have to spend to begin with? I don't know about you, but I'm not okay with rolling over and taking it simply because I wouldn't be a "good little consumer" if I don't. If you want to go ahead and convince yourself that it's okay for publishers to nickel and dime you for everything you've got simply because you think you'll upset your glorious overlords, then go right ahead, but don't tell people quit their complaining if it's entirely within reason to do so.

Don't ever say that the industry is going down the drain if you're going to take this kind of stance.

I'm pretty sure I have every right to say what I think just a much as you do. If you don't like it, that's your prerogative. Not skin off my back. The fact that you make an awful lot of assumptions regarding what ways I can spend my money perplexes me, though.

In short, noted. I stand by what I said.

EA lie, what else is new? Do bears shit in the woods now?

anthony87:
Oh Christ....Zeel is gonna have a field day if/when he returns.

The.Bard:

anthony87:
Oh Christ....Zeel is gonna have a field day if/when he returns.

It's funny, I heard this loud, blood-curdlingesque scream a few minutes ago. It sounded very far away, but also very close. As if it had traveled many miles borne upon the wind. And the timestamp on this post checks out to when I heard the scream...

It must have been Zeel!

I hope he doesn't have an Atlas in his garage, or this is what his neighborhood will look like tonight:

DAY ONE! ON DISC! RARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

I actually came to see if he was going rant about this.

Personally I don't really care for DLC being on disc. If I don't like the DLC I don't buy it enough said. I personally bought ME1 and 2 together used and didn't buy any DLC for 2 because I didn't want to have to pay 5 dollars just to be able to do it because of the Cerberus Network.

Oh for the love of it... How about judgeing the game on the content available instead of content potentially available ?

I will propably get ME3 in a month or two when a used copy is available here.

You should decide weither you want to buy ME 3 on basis of the main game and weither or not it is entertaining enough to warrant a 60$ purchase.

Is 60$ enough for the main game ? Is the main game good enough ?
I personally do not care one little bit about day 1 DLC beeing on the disc or anywhere. It should be up to the developers when and how the content is produced and priced.

What wouldn't be acceptable for me, would be a game that had important parts removed and sold seperatly, while still beeing sold at full price.This DLC character seems mildly harmless. Interesting backstory ? Sure, but not integral to the plot and not essential to enjoying the game.

Nobody gives two rats asses about a Whopper beeing feature incomplete when not beeing served with extra cheese either.

Z of the Na'vi:

I'm pretty sure I have every right to say what I think just a much as you do. If you don't like it, that's your prerogative. Not skin off my back. The fact that you make an awful lot of assumptions regarding what ways I can spend my money perplexes me, though.

My my, is that someone judging someone assuming what ways people spend their money when you made a post doing just that? An extra $10 can be just out of the range for, well, hell. Any gamer on a budget who's saved up for one new game for a while.

What's $10 more? As another user said, that's around 17-18% increase in price. People don't like having to pay for something that is on the disc that they've brought, it's different with every other physical product they buy, most people don't get the difference.

And while we're on assumptions, why are people assuming its cut out code? If it was bits of old code why didn't they take it out like any competent programmer does if they're done with it. It's part of the damn optimisation process. One of the most simple parts to do.

In regards to your "I was merely giving my opinion." Good for you, but it doesn't mean nobody can argue your opinion. As it was said in another thread, being able to defend your opinion doesn't hurt anyone.

Steampunk Viking:

EDIT: Concerning Tali's face, by the way, developers have been using stock photos for YEARS. Get over it.

There are very good and decent reasons to be annoyed over the pictures and none of it has to do with it being a stock photo.

For me it is not so much rage but disappointment that Bioware didn't even put in the effort to rejig around the photo in the ways I've mentioned. Stock photo fine, what they decide as what Quarians look like fine, making it look equivalent to an English essay I've done the hour before class not fine by a long shot.

dogstile:

Z of the Na'vi:

My my, is that someone judging someone assuming what ways people spend their money when you made a post doing just that? An extra $10 can be just out of the range for, well, hell. Any gamer on a budget who's saved up for one new game for a while.

What's $10 more? As another user said, that's around 17-18% increase in price. People don't like having to pay for something that is on the disc that they've brought, it's different with every other physical product they buy, most people don't get the difference.

And while we're on assumptions, why are people assuming its cut out code? If it was bits of old code why didn't they take it out like any competent programmer does if they're done with it. It's part of the damn optimisation process. One of the most simple parts to do.

In regards to your "I was merely giving my opinion." Good for you, but it doesn't mean nobody can argue your opinion. As it was said in another thread, being able to defend your opinion doesn't hurt anyone.

The fact of the matter is, we don't know if this content was on the disc, we know of some files, that doesn't really prove anything, as some files for ME2's DLC was on the disc for that as well. They could have planned for the character to have been in the game, but had to cut him do to time constraints, then, realizing that they could make him a DLC character, left some of the disc. The later finished the character in certification.

And given the fact that I still had to wait 30 minutes for it to download, I'm pretty sure it didn't come on the disc.

dogstile:

I agree.

Oh, and it's called being a hypocrite. We exist.

Z of the Na'vi:
I'm pretty sure I have every right to say what I think just a much as you do.

Of course you do, but like I said, if you ever feel like the industry is going in the wrong direction with this kind of behavior, just remember it was you who was a-ok with forking over money that you shouldn't have to.

Z of the Na'vi:
The fact that you make an awful lot of assumptions regarding what ways I can spend my money perplexes me, though.

That's funny coming from you after you tell everyone to:

Z of the Na'vi:
\Just play the damn game, have fun, and shut up.

Considering It took a good 20 minutes to download, I doubt it was on disk in the form we know it.

This has nothing to do with the issue here, but I love how Zeel has become the boogeyman on any and all ME3 threads. The Escapist finally has proof why you should not go in The Basement, and more importantly, why you should always keep the door locked.

fozzy360:
Of course you do, but like I said, if you ever feel like the industry is going in the wrong direction with this kind of behavior, just remember it was you who was a-ok with forking over money that you shouldn't have to.

Not quite sure what you're trying to do right now, but whatever, I won't argue with you. We differ, I get it.

Nothing will change that now, you've made that perfectly clear.

No, I don't mind paying money so I don't have to jump through hoops to receive content. I give them my money, they give me the content I pay for. Simple as that. I'm not going to argue with them, either. I just want to play what I paid for. I haven't even bought Mass Effect 3 yet and I know I'm going to buy all the DLC for it. I don't care that it's already on the disc.

Z of the Na'vi:
I don't care that it's already on the disc.

But why don't you care? Why are you happy to pay more for something that you already paid for?

Figured that out when it asked me to switch to disc two when I went to play it. If it was just DLC, there shouldn't have been need for a disc swap. Also, I was under the impression that you needed an origin account to get DLC on the 360 even. I don't have one, and I've got the person in my party.

But is anyone surprised? Really?

Loop Stricken:
But why don't you care? Why are you happy to pay more for something that you already paid for?

I don't really know, actually. Maybe I've just grown to like Bioware over the years, and don't mind paying extra for something that is already on the disc I purchased. I think I've just become so desensitized to the whole sha-bang that by the time I'm playing the game, I've already forgotten that I am in fact, overpaying. That's probably about the best way I can explain it.

Loop Stricken:

Z of the Na'vi:
I don't care that it's already on the disc.

Because Mass Effect 3 is one of the best games to come out this year? That it's probably the best game to come out in the past 5 years? That It's the best Mass Effect game in the series and probably there greatest Bioware RPG since KOTOR?

In short, people don't care because the game is really fucking good.

It's interesting how half of the comments here can be summed as "Bioware suck!" despite the article itself saying only some of the character assets were found on the disc.

It seems obvious enough to me that they made the character and had it voiced before the product was scheduled for certification and the such, and then had the time to produce the relevant story and gameplay--which is exactly what Bioware said.

I'm with Jeff Gerstmen on this one: people don't know how the video games production system works if they have a problem with day one DLC.

This is the best way I can imagine Day one DLC on a disc.

Imagine you buy box of assorted chocolates. The good kind, the kind that you pay good coin for your girlfriend or boyfriend for a special occasion. Now you love chocolate and the quality they produce in this box is delicious. Now say that they have a new row of chocolates that goes with the box, you just pay 10 dollars more to get it. However when you do fork over the money, they don't give you chocolate, they just give you a key and tell you to use it on the side of the box. The sweets were already there, hidden from view. You just paid 10 extra dollars to unlock candy that you physically bought and didn't know about.

Now no one is going to be dumb enough to pay the same pieces of candy twice, but you just did that. You bought the exact same sweets twice, and you could have just hacked the box and figured out a way to pick the lock to get the items you already pay for. What on earth is so wrong to pick away on something you own to unlock the hidden underbelly for its forbidden treasure?

You could complain to the chocolate company and tell them you don't like it, but the candy is so good. You love their chocolate, their rich caramel and cherry filled parts are heaven, but they did this. They made you pay for the same candy twice.

I hate paying for the same piece of candy twice, so why on earth do we think paying to unlock data that we already bought is lesser than that?

It's a good thing I feed off of nerd rage. This site has increased my life span by three years since Mass Effect 3 released!

Also, any word on Zeel's return? Can't wait to hear from him again.

Oh, and on topic: I don't really care. Games are a luxury item. They don't have to conform to any standard that I set. I don't deserve anything, nor am I entitled to anything. I judge Mass Effect 3 worth my eighty dollars. I spent my eighty dollars. I am enjoying my purchase. You would think BioWare murdered some of these people's families, the way they talk about the company.

antipunt:
The trillions of complaints and 'oh how evil Bioware, boycott, etc etc' isn't going to change -anything- because Mass Effect 3 is going to sell like hotcakes, and everyone knows it. And the DLC will make them money, and everyone knows it.

/cynicism

Was actually in the store and looked it up on my Iphone to get some reviews and saw this.

I put the box back down and left.

You were so close EA. So close. I was a breath away from putting my bitter hate of you aside for my love of Mass Effect.

I can understand people who have no problem with this or love Mass Effect enough to overlook it. I, personally, have a very low tolerance level for stupidity and too much pride to hand over my hard earned cash to a company that treats me with nothing but greed and contempt.

HA HA HA HA HA!

I knew it, Bioware had this content ready BEFORE the game went to press.

The Pinray:
It's a good thing I feed off of nerd rage. This site has increased my life span by three years since Mass Effect 3 released!

Oh, and on topic: I don't really care. Games are a luxury item. They don't have to conform to any standard that I set. I don't deserve anything, nor am I entitled to anything. I judge Mass Effect 3 worth my eighty dollars. I spent my eighty dollars. I am enjoying my purchase. You would think BioWare murdered some of these people's families, the way they talk about the company.

Tell me about it :D

Glad to know I'm not strange for not feeling the white hot rage that most people seem to be displaying.

It really doesn't bother me.

Daystar Clarion:

The Pinray:

Tell me about it :D

Glad to know I'm not strange for not feeling the white hot rage that most people seem to be displaying.

It really doesn't bother me.

Same here, I don't really care.

To be honest people are making a mountain out of a molehill here. There are much bigger things to complain about, and it boggles my mind that a company like Blizzard can pull stupid shit like a real life money auction house in Diablo 3, and yet Bioware is getting shit for a character and a 30 minute mission.

As the article said, it only contains a miniscule amount of the actual content, and doesn't have the levels.

That being said, the game is pretty mediocre regardless considering we all knew our choices would mean little beyond cutscene A or cutscene B for 1 part of the game, and we didn't even get that, they just became numbers.

Pffft. Buying ME3. There's just so much to hate!

Oh good lord, more of this? I am so sick of hearing about this. Specifically with this game, but also with any game that does Day One DLC. It doesn't change a damn thing. Do you think what you're paying for the game, sans DLC, is worth it? Then buy it. If not, don't. It's not like they've hidden the fact that there's this DLC from you. You know what you're getting in the DLC and you know it's not in the game. You then buy the game and the DLC, or don't based on whether you think it's worth it or not.

It's like going into a fast food joint, and complaining because the guy who ordered the large meal got more food than you got in your regular meal.

They're being up-front about what you do and don't get if you do or don't buy the DLC. And as anyone who read the article, instead of jumping on the title for all their rage venting needs, would be able to work out, a few voice files and animations does not an entire DLC make.

Okay. Done ranting. Feel free to respond to me, but I don't intend to get embroiled in this. I'm just expressing my displeasure at the massively overblown fan reaction to this. It really isn't a big deal.

You may now go back to hating EA and Bioware for being businesses and trying to make money, and stay competitive in a market which is moving in this direction regardless.

MrBrightside919:
Bioware made Baldur's Gate 2...

Nuff said...

Old Bioware is to Squaresoft as new Bioware is to Square Enix.

I.e. one made quality games, The other makes shit.

I does seem like they may have just locked him off to make extra money, if it is true, that is fucked up. As I play the game he seems a little too weaved in to have been added later but Bioware is good at what they do, maybe that fact is just a testament to that. Regardless this whole situation has gotten way out of had, I've been annoyed by it for various reasons and now I just want to play some ME3 and forget about all the bullshit that has come with doing that.

To those of you who say "i dont care":
Why do you feel obliged to comment on something you dont care about? Isnt judging something you dont care about a stupid thing to do?

To those who say "its fun, where is the problem?":
Some of us have standarts.
Something being fun doesnt justify it costing 60 bucks + 10 extra.
Moral ambiguity and lack of professional integrity of the process is also not justified by the product being fun.

And finally, to those who say "its only 80 bucks for a single game, get over it!":
There´s a thing called "consumer rights". One may not care about such feeble things as "rights" while posessing the ability to spew money left and right.
If you fail to stand up when your rights are about to be violated, you do not deserve living in a society based on those rights.
And seeing the course the industry is taking, my rights ARE about to be violated by the shameless pricing policies it adopted.
I for my, earned every. single. dollar. with sweat and labor.
I feel entitled to every single of those dollars, and I am backed by law in doing so.
I do not agree to pay 80 bucks for something that feels like 25.
I do not agree to pay 80 bucks, to give 80 of my hard earned bucks to someone blatantly disregarding my intelligence by presenting me a chicken labeled "PIG", and encourage him to do it again next year.
I do NOT. AGREE.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or