Day-One DLC Files Appear on Mass Effect 3 Discs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I don't know why people are even quibbling about this. They planned from the get go to offer day one DLC to squeeze extra money from fans who are willing to spend the extra money for a "complete" experience.
Whether you think this is a shameless money grab or a legitimate business decision, this was clearly planned WELL before the game was "content complete".
If you want to punish this sort of thing you don't skip the DLC, you skip the game. They always knew you would buy the game, they were also hoping some of you would spend even more money if they sold you some extra, non-essential, part of the game.

wiredhuman:

And finally, to those who say "its only 80 bucks for a single game, get over it!":
There´s a thing called "consumer rights". One may not care about such feeble things as "rights" while posessing the ability to spew money left and right.
If you fail to stand up when your rights are about to be violated, you do not deserve living in a society based on those rights.
And seeing the course the industry is taking, my rights ARE about to be violated by the shameless pricing policies it adopted.

I do NOT. AGREE.

I love how angry you are right now! Anyway, what rights are being violated? Your right to set the price on someone else's product? If you don't like the price don't buy it, that is your only "right". Don't take this as a defense of the scheme, I won't be buying ME3.

Mygaffer:

I love how angry you are right now! Anyway, what rights are being violated? Your right to set the price on someone else's product? If you don't like the price don't buy it, that is your only "right". Don't take this as a defense of the scheme, I won't be buying ME3.

Privacy, having the ability to block any Origin activity on my pc doent make it ok to shuffle through my shit.
I also have a right to complain on the official forums about a faulty game without being banned to the extend of not being able to cancel my subscription through normal means.
I also have a right to demand the price class of a product to match its performance class.
I also have a right to demand the performance class of a product to match the advertized specs of that product.
There are institutions that enforce those things in other industries, this one lacks those, as it isnt taken seriously by anyone despite its revenue.

Honestly, $10 isn't going to kill you people. If you can afford a $60 game, I am certain you can drop the $10 if you want it that bad.

"BUT ECKSTEASEA, IT SHOULD BE IN THE GAME WITHOUT US HAVING TO PAY! EA/BIOWARE ARE SCREWING US OVER!"

No it shouldn't. Its up to the company first off whatever goes in and out of a game. Don't like it? Go start your own company and do things the way you want to if you have some time to bitch and moan about $10. Its just another character like Zaeed or Kasumi were from ME2. I didn't see all of this when DLC was released later rather than the first day for ME2. Its the same thing here people except now on launch day. You get something that you pay for as if you would at any other point in time.

"CENTRAL TO THE STORY BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Want it? Buy it. Simple.

So entitled.

What really surprises me is that the whole damage control team from EA and Bioware act like a bunch of amateurs: contradictory statements, arrogant posture from developers, incomplete or misleading information.

Man, if your game is getting flak, go front and center and answer the problem from all angles, preferably as honest as possible - you might still have someone pissed, but nobody would be able to bring the issue again with "new" things.

If you are the developer and you know that the disc has half a file about the Protean, any marketing professional with half a brain could predict the shit storm a mile away, so just mention it in the first press release and be done with the issue at once.

Of course, a smart Public Relations guy (or girl) would already know that Bioware potatoes were already baking after Dragon Age 2, and would strongly advise against day 1 DLC.

Sometimes it seems that EA and Bioware simply do not care about their image at all. It is one amateurish decision after another. This is extremely short-sighted behavior.

Well, if anyone from Bioware is reading this and want some professional advice just PM me. My fees are reasonable and I guarantee that I can present a PR solution for the situation in a few hours. Be warned that it will probably involve the truth, so you might want to familiarize with the concept first, reading about it in the dictionary or something.

animehermit:

Loop Stricken:

Z of the Na'vi:
I don't care that it's already on the disc.

But why don't you care? Why are you happy to pay more for something that you already paid for?

Because Mass Effect 3 is one of the best games to come out this year? That it's probably the best game to come out in the past 5 years? That It's the best Mass Effect game in the series and probably there greatest Bioware RPG since KOTOR?

In short, people don't care because the game is really fucking good.

It can't be that great. I'm a fan of the series, but it still wasn't good enought to put up with origin, at least not from what I've seen of it (friends who have it on consoles if you're curious).

godofslack:
Honestly, this has to be among the most controversial game launches in history among actual gamers. Honestly, with the shitstorm floating around this game I can't imagine that it doesn't hurt sales. This will either damn people to thinking all gamers whine but don't do anything or that we actually will boycott something.

The worst part of it is that the people at EA/Bioware probably already accounted for this when they made the decision to have day-zero DLC.

There's probably a guy at EA/Bioware whose job it was to calculate whether the profits earned from people buying the day-zero DLC would easily offset the lost sales caused by all the bad press. They calculated that it would, so they went ahead and did it, in spite of the complaints.

When fans criticized them for what seemed to be content cut from the game so it could be sold to them separately, EA/Bioware made up a bunch of bullshit to try to weather the storm. But if they were being honest, they would've just said, "Honestly, we don't care about your feedback, just your money."

4 pages and no one has come to the idea that the files were on there for the multiplayer aspect of the game, including the character files so your customer doesn't have to download content just to see the character in someone else's game might be closer than assuming they are out to steal your money

Also no one has mentioned while your complaining about spending $10 ontop of your $60, Aussies have to she'll out $108 for the basic edition

EcksTeaSea:

So entitled.

I am entitled to the worth of my money.
If you can allow yourself to throw your cash around like nothing, be my guest. Just dont tell me I have to too.

I'd just like to point out that it's not downloadable content if you don't download it.

They should stop calling it downloadable content.

racrevel:
Also no one has mentioned while your complaining about spending $10 ontop of your $60, Aussies have to she'll out $108 for the basic edition

Only dumb or lazy Aussies. Smart or resourceful Aussies either import a copy, or enlist one of the myriad ways to purchase a CD key online, and then download through Origin.

Not that I can complain, I'm one of those lazy ones who walked into a store yesterday and impulse bought a collector's version of the game, when I knew I could save half the price by going to Amazon or g2play.

Don't taze me bro:

racrevel:

Only dumb or lazy Aussies. Smart or resourceful Aussies either import a copy, or enlist one of the myriad ways to purchase a CD key online, and then download through Origin.

Not that I can complain, I'm one of those lazy ones who walked into a store yesterday and impulse bought a collector's version of the game, when I knew I could save half the price by going to Amazon or g2play.

I could have done that, but I wanted it on release day, usually I live out of the bargain bin..
Also fuck origin I'm in it for the box and free crap, I'm collecting this shit if I didn't want a physical copy I'd pirate it :D

I'm tired of all the hate on this site...I think I'll go play ME3 some more cos it's awesome.

Hevva:
"the build which leaked in November, the official demo, and now the standard retail release of Mass Effect 3 all contain voice files for the [From Ashes] squad member. There's also a full set of model and animation files for the [character], but file encryption makes it impossible to open these for further inspection."

I may be clutching at straws here, but isnt the character still in the standard game, and the dlc just allows you to use him in the squad? That would explain why various animations and voice files are already present in the game.

Not that I really care though, my shiny collectors edition will be here soon.

At first that didn't seem too odd. There was a lot of stuff for Katsumi on the ME2 disc but that wasn't some deception.

However if just as much is there as for other characters, pretty much the entire thing it seems, then this is pure bullshit. This isn't like Shale where they cut it only to realise they could put it back in.
I've heard the character is in the game either way, which would change things. But I don't know if that is true or not.

Soviet Heavy:

MrBrightside919:

Soviet Heavy:

That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the From Ashes DLC was already on the disk. And even if you're just trying to say that you trust Bioware implicitly based off of their back library of games, it still would have no bearing on this news.

Why are you making such a big deal of my comment? If it makes you happy, I could care less about the DLC already being on the disk. It's not like this is the first time EA has done something like this (Need for Speed, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, etc). It doesn't surprise me in the least that this would happen on a BIG release from EA considering that they've done it many times before...and will probably keep doing it to cut corners for DLC they know people will buy anyways...

...and still, if you don't like that they did that, don't buy the DLC and don't give them your money...it's a simple as that

Good, because I didn't buy the game at all on principle against Origin.

as amusing as reading this little back-and-forth has been, i just want to say how sorry i feel for you, Soviet. denying yourself such an awesome game just because you don't like Origin? man, that's sad.

tavelkyosoba:
I'd just like to point out that it's not downloadable content if you don't download it.

They should stop calling it downloadable content.

Well, in this case it seems that at least some content is being downloaded...

However, in general I agree with you - 'on disk DLC' is nothing more than monetising what used to be 'unlockable content'. So now instead of playing 15 hours of the game with your hands behind your back and an angry ferret in your trousers you just hand over $5-15... I kind of miss that sort of unlockable content but I guess that's mostly been replaced with trophies and achievements... Wonder how longer before you can buy those instead of earning them?

But anyway, yeah, 'on disk DLC' should be rebranded as 'Monetised Unlockable Content'(MUC)... or 'Content Regarded as Additional Product' (CRAP)... Something with an acronym that sounds truthful when you say "This game is full of-".

Here's the thing, Bioware: I could've easily waited 3 more months (or more) for Mass Effect 3. Then you could have finished the game up and then released it instead of, you know, this.

Mugen:

as amusing as reading this little back-and-forth has been, i just want to say how sorry i feel for you, Soviet. denying yourself such an awesome game just because you don't like Origin? man, that's sad.

What's sad is that nowadays it's extremely rare to find consumers who are willing to vote with their wallets. Rather than calling this sad, you should salute this dude.

racrevel:
Aussies have to she'll out $108 for the basic edition

$78 for the standard edition on all platforms until Monday at JB HiFi. $109 for PC Collector's Ed and $129 for console...

Not that I'm gonna spend a single cent on anything that comes bundled with Origin.

Mugen:

Soviet Heavy:

MrBrightside919:

Why are you making such a big deal of my comment? If it makes you happy, I could care less about the DLC already being on the disk. It's not like this is the first time EA has done something like this (Need for Speed, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, etc). It doesn't surprise me in the least that this would happen on a BIG release from EA considering that they've done it many times before...and will probably keep doing it to cut corners for DLC they know people will buy anyways...

...and still, if you don't like that they did that, don't buy the DLC and don't give them your money...it's a simple as that

Good, because I didn't buy the game at all on principle against Origin.

Glad to hear it. Now go play your game and stop trying to sound condescending.

Oh gee, what a fucking surprise.

Seriously, did ANYONE actually believe BioWare when they said that it was developed after the rest of the game?

But it won't make a difference, because the BioWare fanboys will just shell out the cash. Watch how in 2 years this will become normal.

anthony87:
Oh Christ....Zeel is gonna have a field day if/when he returns.

my first thoughts when I read this was..."hey I guess zeel was right!"

Didn't Mass Effect 2 contain files for both Kasumi and LotSB on the disc as well?

Im not even surprised at EA/Bioware for this. Im dissapointed and outraged but not surprised.
The really annoying thing that did surprise me? There are still fanboy's coming into these topics to do nothing more than say "This game is awesome, I don't care about any of this which is why I came here to tell you that because you do care, you must be sad and pathetic.".

Really? It didn't even occur to you that people have different opinions and that many don't consider this the best game ever? If Bioware had alway's overpriced the series from the start then it would be fine, but they only started doing this on the end of the series.
I just don't even know what to say about this crap.

Im not sure which is worse, Yeah EA is being terrible but you can expect them to do that and they are after all a company out for profit. But the fanboys(be advised I do not mean all of you who disagree here only the ones who are criticizing those who are outraged by this) just astound me.

I don't even know how to continue about this topic. Im just going to cut off my post here before I start ranting because if I continue then I know im going to rant.

mintfresh:
Oh good lord, more of this? I am so sick of hearing about this. Specifically with this game, but also with any game that does Day One DLC. It doesn't change a damn thing. Do you think what you're paying for the game, sans DLC, is worth it? Then buy it. If not, don't. It's not like they've hidden the fact that there's this DLC from you. You know what you're getting in the DLC and you know it's not in the game. You then buy the game and the DLC, or don't based on whether you think it's worth it or not.

It's like going into a fast food joint, and complaining because the guy who ordered the large meal got more food than you got in your regular meal.

They're being up-front about what you do and don't get if you do or don't buy the DLC. And as anyone who read the article, instead of jumping on the title for all their rage venting needs, would be able to work out, a few voice files and animations does not an entire DLC make.

Okay. Done ranting. Feel free to respond to me, but I don't intend to get embroiled in this. I'm just expressing my displeasure at the massively overblown fan reaction to this. It really isn't a big deal.

You may now go back to hating EA and Bioware for being businesses and trying to make money, and stay competitive in a market which is moving in this direction regardless.

Actually, in this case, it's more like going into a fast food joint and complaining because you and everyone else got the exact same burger, but because you didn't pay a few extra bucks (like the other guy) you aren't "allowed" to eat...let's say...the top half of the bun.

You bought the burger. They gave you both sides of the bun. But again, since you didn't pay that little "extra", they tell you you can't eat that bun top, even though it's right there in front of you.

They're not being "up front" about this. Their reasons for this DLC coming day one were tenuous at best. And, that's before this whole "on disc" fiasco. Now, it's become almost a given that they removed part of the game, possibly going so far as to change aspects of the story, so they could charge extra for it.

The latter point seeming even more likely given the apparent weak; extremely weak; ending(s).

Now, don't get me wrong. I think in some cases the reactions people are having over some of the "game design faux pas" that have come to light are as exaggerated as they are annoying. At the same time I also think the overwhelming need for the fans to defend or blithely dismiss any and every bit of bad news that crops up on this game is just as annoying.

OT:
Listen people. If you like the game, fine. You just go right ahead and continue to play the game. Play the hell out of it. Don't let anyone try to convince you you shouldn't. But don't sit there and defend this bullshit. Don't proclaim the game "perfect" or "flawless". And certainly don't excuse Bioware or EA. You just come off as disingenuous and/or naive.

Likewise, if you don't like the game, that's fine. Feel free to continue not liking it; for whatever reasons you want. Just don't go out of your way to lambast those that DO like it. Comment on the news surrounding the game, but Christ, don't attack or insult the players. That's just a dick move.

MrBrightside919:
Bioware made Baldur's Gate 2...

Nuff said...

Good call! You've just reminded me of the awesome BG2! I'm gonna re-install it now!

As for the topic at hand did anyone consider that they may have cut this character from the main game because they wanted to give him his own mission and story arch which they just didn't have time to include?
Did any of you think that if they had included him in a semi-fixed state that everyone would rant at how half assed this character was and how he deserved a better story arch and missions?

With DLC they could spend a little extra time and give him the attention to detail he deserved.

No, of course none of you thought of that, you're all too busy being angry and crying over spilt milk.

*dusts off old quotation box* Oh bioware. What happened to you? You used to be cool.
On a more serious note, I am not suprised, saddened but not at all unexpected.

Awexsome:

Loop Stricken:

Simonoly:

Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembered that. The 'From Ashes' dlc was announced ages ago - Bioware said they were developing dlc with an extra character. This was obviously planned during development of the main game.

... which is funny when Bioware then comes out and states that they only started work on From Ashes after Mass Effect 3 went gold.
HMM.

Which they probably did. Sure there was beginning concepts of it well before the DLC process began, that content was probably cut with shreds of it left in the game.

It could be the conspiracy everyone's making it out to be but content starting to be worked on can be cut mid-production and end up as DLC. I see no problem here unless the entirety of the character's arc is on the disk and locked like the speculators rage at.

From what I can remember, yes they didn't officially reveal the title of 'From Ashes' until Mass Effect 3 went gold. But they revealed that they had dlc planned involving a new character quite a while back (think I first heard of it last September). I think this practice of planning and starting development of dlc during development of the main game is happening a lot more than we think. The dlc market is pretty fruitful, so any game developer would be mad to not consider it alongside the launch of their main game. I'll be interested to see how Bioware responds to this though.

Kopikatsu:

Fappy:
Well he doesn't appear anywhere in the game (seeing as I ave beaten it) so I will stand firm and continue to boycott this DLC as I had considered buying it if he played an important role in the game short of being a squadmate. This news just strengthens my resolve. If only people knew how to vote with their wallets :(

I just want to say that Javik isn't important to the plot at all. This is basically all that happens:

Shepard: So you know how to work the Prothean weapon, right?

Javik: No. I am a Soldier, not a Scientist.

That's it. That is like...all he says that's relevant to anything. You do get his gun though. Which is pretty badass until Banshees show up. It doesn't do that well against Banshees...

Define improtant for story?

Important for the war effort? Not at all, but we are not talking about detached game that just came out with new, fresh IP. It's part of trilogy and a whole universe that was created for the ME franchise.
You actually learn quite a lot about Prothean culture and how they fell to Reapers from the convos with Javik, and considering how important Protheans are to the whole plot spanning across all 3 parts of ME I'd say it's pretty relevant for those of us who play RPGs for something more than shooting stuff in head.

I used to be a Bioware fanboy, then they took to their knees before EA.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

You know, I can't help but wonder...

How many of you in this thread (and the other threads) defending this on-disc, day-1 DLC; as well as the other BS; would go about defending, with the same fervor, on-disc, day-1 DLC for another game from another company?

Would you feel the same way about this situation if it were, say, involving a game by Bungie, Relic, Valve, Infinity Ward, or Blizzard? Would you still say, "Oh, on-disc day-1 DLC is fine. I don't mind paying an extra 10 bucks for content that's on the disc already. Content that was likely pulled from the game pre-release."

I'm gonna go ahead and assume "no". Seeing as I've seen many of you lambasting other games or other companies for less egregious acts.

The hypocrisy on the forums has been at extreme levels as of late. It'd be fascinating if it weren't so annoying.

-----------------------------

SOLVEmedia:
"sound changes the way we see" reminds me of...

1: Sailing is silly
2: Steam Evaporate [sic]
3: None of these choices
4: Sound matters
5: Seeing is believing

Okay Escapist...what the ****?! No really. What the ****?! This is the replacement for the old captcha?

Fappy:

That's exactly my issue though. The last living Prothean SHOULD be important. The fact that it is not just cheapens the whole idea to begin with. But then again, considering how they ended the game it seems they just had a "who can come up with the worst ideas" party.

Eh, maybe, but I'm not sure that idea is inherently better. I think it would have been equally silly that the ONE Prothean whose coffin didn't fail just happens to know everything about what they were doing.

I can't speak to the ending (I'm only 15 hrs in), but from what I've seen so far I have no reason to be pessimistic.

Chunga the Great:
Oh gee, what a fucking surprise.

Seriously, did ANYONE actually believe BioWare when they said that it was developed after the rest of the game?

But it won't make a difference, because the BioWare fanboys will just shell out the cash. Watch how in 2 years this will become normal.

The voice files being on the disc is not proof Bioware lied. They said they developed it after the game. They didn't say after the game shipped or that no piece of it wasn't on the disc already.

It took me about 15 mins to download the dlc on my 360, so a good chunk of this was NOT on the disc. Maybe we wait for a reply from Bioware before chucking stones around?

The judgment going on around here is borderline hilarious. I guess this is what we get from the Fox News Generation.... accusations = facts.

Whether BioWare lied or not...I don't really care. I'm fed up with Day One DLC. Like...REALLY fed up.

The.Bard:

Fappy:

That's exactly my issue though. The last living Prothean SHOULD be important. The fact that it is not just cheapens the whole idea to begin with. But then again, considering how they ended the game it seems they just had a "who can come up with the worst ideas" party.

Eh, maybe, but I'm not sure that idea is inherently better. I think it would have been equally silly that the ONE Prothean whose coffin didn't fail just happens to know everything about what they were doing.

I can't speak to the ending (I'm only 15 hrs in), but from what I've seen so far I have no reason to be pessimistic.

I find it hard to believe that a race of highly intelligent beings that can share their thoughts who are facing extinction wouldn't have given each and every one of the surviving few important information in the hopes that it could save the next wave of intelligent beings. Weapon schematics, ship schematics, armor, anything. I mean, the Prothean was literally the final move of the Protheans, and he's "just a soldier"? Bullshit. He was born after the fall of the Citadel and yet he knows nothing?! No advanced prototype weapons, no armor, no ship drives. No data obtained during the war against the Reapers. Nothing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here