Eve Online Panel Encourages Harassing Suicidal Player

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Yeah, I'll bet EVE needs a suicide hotline protocol.

Grey Day for Elcia:
I don't know if this is true, but I feel the need to share my gut reaction before doing more research--such is the human condition for anger...

bad idea, since it'd just make you look stupid.

Manslaughter charge for the individual who urged others to harass the player.

yes, manslaughter charge when nobody actually died, what's next, murder charges for writers who kill off their characters in their book?

Public apology to the family.

I'm sure the 47 yr old man is just fine, read above.

Pay all expenses that resulted from this tragedy.

which is zero, since nothing other than internet spaceships happened, but he actually did send a healthy sum of internet spaceship money to the guy as part of his apology.

Jail time.

yea, for the non-crime that was not committed, awesome idea.

I hope everyone involved feels this weight for the rest of their lives.

I hope you feel stupid for making this post for the rest of your live :rolleyes:

If you as a human being feel it appropriate to make another's life so uncomfortable or distressing that they seek a permanent escape--what's more, if you laugh about it and generally enjoy the thought of and eventual follow through--you need to sit down and think long and hard about your existence.

The guy made ONE tasteless joke that cross the line while drunk at a panel designed for drunken stupor, no actual harm was done as nobody actually did anything, the "target" was not suicidal and never even knew what was going on until this blew up in the media and people told him, apology were sent and accepted, now get over yourself.

[h1]Never treat suicide like a joke.

personally that's what I'd do as well, but...

Treat every threat as serious.

ROFL, if people treat every threat they get online as serious, eve online or not, police departments around the world would have to establish their own online-threat division just to deal with the spam of them, get real.

EDIT: okay, calm now, lol. Looks like the player is okay and is actually still playing the game and doing alright.

I feel less sick.

PHEW!

no kidding

Ulquiorra4sama:
I'd say the way this forum turned out once EVE players started trying to defend it and their overall tone towards others is all the proof i need to condemn their community as "filled with tosspots".

I'd say the way this thread turned out after uninformed moral police started tossing out uninformed conclusions trying to condemn all of eve's community on the drunken word of one player and their overall tone towards others who don't agree with their opinion is all the proof I need to condemn this community as "filled with tosspots".

yea, I can do that too.

See that as the unfair generalization that it is, but i believe that any community whose most vocal members are unpleasant jerks is one i have no desire to interact with.

you may want to quit the internet right now.

As for the actual story i'm glad to see an official apology went out, but personally i think anyone who assumes the role of a "supervillain" or whatever in an online games has some unresolved issues. Then again it could just be the nature of EVE as a game in that in encourages people to be cunts to eachother (from what i've seen anyways)

yes Mr. internet psychologist. And of course, everyone who likes to play a sandbox spaceship mmo must have issues just because you don't understand anything about the game outside of rumours and stereotypes!

sabercrusader:
Heh, poor taste eh? I'd say that it's worse than "poor taste". These are some of the worse people on the planet. Most people that make fun of suicidal kids, probably don't know they're suicidal, like, for instance, some kid at your school that gets picked on a lot. They probably don't know he's contemplating suicide, so when he does, most of the time, it isn't intentional. These people, they KNEW he was contemplating suicide, they were flat-out told he showed severe depression and suicidal thoughts, and they tell everyone else to start harassing him? This...this is horrible. People say that things like gamers whining or feeling entitled and other bullshit is what makes people look down upon gaming. I say, it's shit like this, which, as far as I know, doesn't really happen much anywhere else.

yes, one drunken comment makes a person "some of the worse people on the planet". I HAVE seen some of the worst people on the planet, they kill and rape women and children, I suggest you head to the middle east and africa to see them, otherwise, try to lay off on the hyperbole.

Let's put this in context, guy was running 22 accounts mining ice, literally one of the most boring activity in any game ever, gets blown up by the goons during their ice interdiction, then sends a mail to the guy who blew him up to try to garner sympathy to prevent further actions against him or to recoup some losses. The goon then posted the mail he received to his alliance's forum, and then eventually was used during the presentation by his alliance leader half a year later, the joke was made at the end of the session, and nobody did anything other than laugh and forget about it.

the guy was NOT suicidal, these kind of sympathy/hate mail from people after they get blown up are literally dime a dozen in eve, add in the 22 ice mining accounts, which squarely puts him into the botter/rmt category, and anything that comes out of his mouth becomes even less credible. While mittani still should not have said what he did, especially at a venue broadcast live over the net, the chance of anyone actually taking the sympathy mail as serious is about as high as you'd believe that homeless guy who came up to you and trying to convince you he's the Prince of Nigeria and if you give him $10,000 he'll give you $10 million back.

Daemonfae:

Sacman:
And I'm reminded why the EVE fanbase is the scum of the internet... They're even worse than Lol and DotA... almost as bad as Xbox Live and that Japanese site that talked that guy into hanging himself on a live webcam...>.<

And here you are, posting on a well respected forum where one of YOUR members said "please stop living" to the guy who told another guy to kill himself.

Well, yeah. He's a dick trying to get his other dick buddies to harass a guy with thoughts of suicide. He should please (notice the word 'please', he asked kindly) make an effort to cease living.

Because ya know, what an asshole. And yes I did watch the video. I'm really fucking curious as to why you think that the video somehow makes it better. It just shows how much detail he went into to make fun off this random guy.

kyp275:

the guy was NOT suicidal, these kind of sympathy/hate mail from people after they get blown up are literally dime a dozen in eve, add in the 22 ice mining accounts, which squarely puts him into the botter/rmt category, and anything that comes out of his mouth becomes even less credible. While mittani still should not have said what he did, especially at a venue broadcast live over the net, the chance of anyone actually taking the sympathy mail as serious is about as high as you'd believe that homeless guy who came up to you and trying to convince you he's the Prince of Nigeria and if you give him $10,000 he'll give you $10 million back.

Actually it would be more like the homeless guy making claim that picking up and selling the bottles was calming to him after the goons or member of the goons smashed the person's stuff. Six months later the leader of the goons posted the message in a public event. Then during the Q/A the leader of the Goons call out everyone to harass the homeless person so he would eventually commit suicide.

I second that. its just really depressing to think that no one thought hey this isn't right and disagree.

What the actual fuck?

Seriously. What the actual fuck?

Akisa:
Actually it would be more like the homeless guy making claim that picking up and selling the bottles was calming to him after the goons or member of the goons smashed the person's stuff. Six months later the leader of the goons posted the message in a public event. Then during the Q/A the leader of the Goons call out everyone to harass the homeless person so he would eventually commit suicide.

sure, I guess I better call the police next time some CoD guy says stuff like "omg noob you sux00rs go die in a fire!!!"

after all, he could be potentially be an arsonist who might try to set my house on fire amirite?

I'm trying to point on how the original mail is likely to be viewed within the context of normal eve gameplay, yours on the other hand has little bearing on the situation. Painting "smashing his stuff" in a negative light makes about as much sense as saying people shouldn't shoot each other in a FPS game.

There's nothing wrong with ridiculing hate/whine mail, the only part where mittani crossed the line was when he called on others to harass the player, which nobody did as anyone with a half a braincell realize it's a joke (and no, going to blow up said player's ship does not count as harassment, no matter how much you guys want to think it is).

video, starting at (1:01:43): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Ki91U-mBE.

Mitani's apology: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=86980.

PLEASE stop making assumptions. There was no tragedy other than CCP's tarnished image, and the mocking statements. The man in question is just fine.

kyp275:
spaaaaace

Not too sure why you quoted me.

Hope you enjoyed the time you spent?

Cid SilverWing:
What the actual fuck?

Seriously. What the actual fuck?

Your comment made me laugh, because I read it imagining your avatar was saying it, lol.

On a side note: Woah boy, there are a lot of new accounts here arguing in support of the EVE asshole that acted like an utter shite of a human being -- strike that -- I meant to say the massive cunt that made a dick of themselves and acted like an utter shite of a human being.

I dunno if having that sort of rabid playerbase is a good or bad thing... Either way, I'm so very glad I decided not to give EVE a go a few days ago, lol.

Taunta:
Pardon me if I get all personal for a minute, but as someone who has struggled with MDD and suicidal attempts in the past, this absolutely disgusts me.

Really, how low can you go? (Please don't test the limbo, guys.)

If you tried to limbo under the bar now that it's been put so low you'd snap your spine in half.

More on topic I know an EVE player. Guy was an antisocial prick in junior high and pirates the games he plays. So considering that to be sucessful in EVE is to be an asshole, this type of behaviour seems normal for a sucessful EVE player.

Grey Day for Elcia:

perhaps to respond to your rather idiotic post?

On a side note: Woah boy, there are a lot of new accounts here arguing in support of the EVE asshole that acted like an utter shite of a human being -- strike that -- I meant to say the massive cunt that made a dick of themselves and acted like an utter shite of a human being.

there's a difference between arguing in support of mittani's behavior and arguing that the whole thing was blown way out of proportion by assumptions and misinformations, not that I expect you to be able to tell the differences.

I dunno if having that sort of rabid playerbase is a good or bad thing...

yes, everyone who disagrees with your short-on-facts opinion must be because they're rabid fans who can't see reason. People linked this on the eve forum, people came in to see wholesale bash of the entire playerbase, what else do you expect?

Either way, I'm so very glad I decided not to give EVE a go a few days ago, lol.

and nothing of value was lost.

kyp275:

Grey Day for Elcia:

perhaps to respond to your rather idiotic post?

there's a difference between arguing in support of mittani's behavior and arguing that the whole thing was blown way out of proportion by assumptions and misinformations, not that I expect you to be able to tell the differences.

I dunno if having that sort of rabid playerbase is a good or bad thing...

yes, everyone who disagrees with your short-on-facts opinion must be because they're rabid fans who can't see reason. People linked this on the eve forum, people came in to see wholesale bash of the entire playerbase, what else do you expect?

Either way, I'm so very glad I decided not to give EVE a go a few days ago, lol.

If the average Eve player is as aggressive and hostile as you, then you're right: As far as I'm concerned, nothing of value WAS lost when I decided not to play.

You're the reason I don't play MMOs.

kyp275:
spaaaaceeee

Oh you make EVE sound like such a lovely place--very friendly. I'm glad such a nice person rushed to defend the game. If someone being rude and arrogant had tried, why, they would have made it look like the EVE playerbase is made up of socially awkward trolls.

Anywho, go ahead and fanboy it up in here in defense of your elected leaders. I don't think anyone is listening to you-being busy trying not to defend a drunken cunt who encourages the mocking of a depressed individual. You hero, you.

Blatherscythe:
More on topic I know an EVE player. Guy was an antisocial prick in junior high and pirates the games he plays. So considering that to be sucessful in EVE is to be an asshole, this type of behaviour seems normal for a sucessful EVE player.

do I even have to bother to point out what kind of crappy strawman this is? It'd be like me saying I know this one guy Blatherscythe on escapist forum who's an ignorant prick, therefore everyone on that forum must be an ignorant prick.

There are successful players in Eve who are assholes, and there are successful players in Eve who are not assholes, just like every single game out there. Being an asshole is not a requirement to be successful in Eve, despite what you may believe.

I've played Eve, along with other PVE mmos for the past six years, I'd consider myself a relatively successful eve player (which btw, is a meaningless term in a sandbox game). I don't enjoy nor do I grief other players, I don't suicide gank players in hisec, but I do enjoy a good fight in lowsec and nullsec space once in awhile.

Eve is not your happy rainbow unicorn themepark MMO, but I do appreciate the harsh universe of Eve as it actually makes your achievements in game meaningful. The vast majority of players I've played with are simply decent folks who enjoy a game with real consequences, and I do take offense when ignorant people like you decides to cast the entire community as antisocial assholes from the action of a few.

It's ironic that I've seen more actual douchebags and assholes in this thread that I usually do on the eve forum, but hey, keep riding your moral highhorse.

lacktheknack:

If the average Eve player is as aggressive and hostile as you, then you're right: As far as I'm concerned, nothing of value WAS lost when I decided not to play.

is there a reason why I should play nice with people who were hostile to begin with? I'm perfectly capable of having reasonable debates when people use reason, and have done so earlier in this thread, but I fail to see why I should bother with those going zomgwtfbbqalleveplayersaresociopaths!!!!11!!one!!

Grey Day for Elcia:
Oh you make EVE sound like such a lovely place--very friendly. I'm glad such a nice person rushed to defend the game. If someone being rude and arrogant had tried, why, they would have made it look like the EVE playerbase is made up of socially awkward trolls.

Anywho, go ahead and fanboy it up in here in defense of your elected leaders. I don't think anyone is listening to you-being busy trying not to defend a drunken cunt who encourages the mocking of a depressed individual. You hero, you.

please, use more ad hominems instead of actually respond to the points I raised. And for the record, I didn't vote for Mittani, nor was I the one talking out of my ass by calling for manslaugher charges and jail time before I even know what was going on. Just because I don't think he should burn in hell for the next five thousand years doesn't mean I'm defending what he did.

kyp275:

lacktheknack:

is there a reason why I should play nice with people who were hostile to begin with? I'm perfectly capable of having reasonable debates when people use reason, and have done so earlier in this thread, but I fail to see why I should bother with those going zomgwtfbbqalleveplayersaresociopaths!!!!11!!one!!

Yes. The reason is that lighting fire on fire doesn't put it out.

lacktheknack:

kyp275:

lacktheknack:

so I guess the correct thing to do is just to lay here and let people light me on fire instead?

or do you mean it's perfectly ok for people from this site to be hostile and aggressive?

kyp275:

lacktheknack:

kyp275:

so I guess the correct thing to do is just to lay here and let people light me on fire instead?

or do you mean it's perfectly ok for people from this site to be hostile and aggressive?

Ah... sitting around and doing nothing isn't the water I'm hinting at.

The correct thing to do would be to respond levelheadedly that the targeted miner hasn't commited suicide, and indeed has barely noticed anything, and thus, the manslaughter charges are unnecessary and foolish. Then you ask them to research further themselves.

Don't call them worthless, imply that they're stupid, and tell them to get over themselves.

lacktheknack:

Ah... sitting around and doing nothing isn't the water I'm hinting at.

The correct thing to do would be to respond levelheadedly that the targeted miner hasn't commited suicide, and indeed has barely noticed anything, and thus, the manslaughter charges are unnecessary and foolish. Then you ask them to research further themselves.

Don't call them worthless, imply that they're stupid, and tell them to get over themselves.

point taken, and I admit I've gotten more riled up over this than I should've.

on the other hand, it's pretty annoying when everything you've said were already pointed out earlier in the thread, sometimes literally just a couple posts above some of these comments, it's pretty obvious they didn't bother, or cared to know what actually happened.

But such is the court of public opinion, where the rush to judgement is paramount over everything else.

I don't really know what context this is in, or whether what was shown during the panel came from someone trying to get attention and sympathy by lying, but that doesn't make it okay. This is pretty serious, especially if the person actually has issues. You should step carefully around something like this, instead of trying to joke about it.

This whole thread can propbably be summed up in a cliche becomming "1% problems" thing.
Some very popular jerk said jerky jokes in a place that happen to be popular. which is pretty much what the whole internet is.
The guy did nothing wrong. deal with it. even if in your inefficient brain you seem to think he did something wrong, what he did is absolutely nothing compared to bigger part of humanity anyway.
i can only applaud the efforts of kyp275 in attempting to fight this battle. all the best luck to you.

P.S. capcha: rhyme for reason, whatever escapist did, capcha lately been very to the point.

Why on earth are players defending this? Ok, so the guy made an apology and threw him some virtual peanuts. So? How the, FUCK, can that be used as justification. Kinda something you can't downplay, or call it anything less than abhorrent, it really shouldn't be happening in the first place.

As someone who has had to call the police twice for online friends trying to commit suicide (thank God the police saved both), I find this panel's actions reprehensible. Anyone who laughed or agreed with the presenter are just as guilty for creating this negative environment as the presenter himself.

The person passing out the information put the suicidal player at risk for further harassment. The presenter should have contacted EvE Online's customer support team to report the suicidal comments to get help to the player rather than laughing at him.

Sometimes suicide threats are false. Sometimes, however, the person is actively trying to kill himself or herself. You cannot assume that the threat is false. It is imperative to call for help each time--the cost for being wrong is simply too high.

So, two things... first, expecting some random guy online, especially in a game, to care about your personal problems is a tad unrealistic. After all, the person you're confiding in may well be trying to get away from THEIR OWN personal problems, which may indeed be severe.

The fact that this private communication ever saw the light of day means that the poor fellow who sent it needs to be more careful in who he trusts. Some people are, clearly, not worthy of that sort of trust, and it is only wise to get to know them better before you risk reaching out.

Secondly, though... seriously? Nobody expects you to be someone's confidant in an online game. Granted, I've met some great folks online, but you're not required to talk someone off the ledge... again, your own personal problems to avoid, leisure time, free country, all that. HOWEVER. It costs you NOTHING to be polite, make up some excuse to stop talking, and keep your mouth shut about it like a decent human being.

Life gets pretty rough, sometimes, and kicking someone right after they let you know they're down? That's just low. I can only hope the folks who are around you when you hit the rocks have more charity in them.

RaikuFA:

Seriously, I don't. With the death threats and demanding refunds on charaties over ME3. Harrasment over not being computer savvy or new at a game genre and now this?

This industry is getting sickening...

tell me if you find me an alternative, in the mean time, we're going to have to deal with it, no?

What they did obviously wasn't ok, but people have done a lot worse to warrant that annoying "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" meme.

zehydra:

RaikuFA:

Seriously, I don't. With the death threats and demanding refunds on charaties over ME3. Harrasment over not being computer savvy or new at a game genre and now this?

tell me if you find me an alternative, in the mean time, we're going to have to deal with it, no?

What they did obviously wasn't ok, but people have done a lot worse to warrant that annoying "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" meme.

Thats the sad thing we have to. We have to deal with the death threats over needing to build a new computer or wanting to learn how to play a new game genre. We have to deal with harassment on xbox live. It shouldn't happen, but we have to.

Moromillas:
Why on earth are players defending this? Ok, so the guy made an apology and threw him some virtual peanuts. So? How the, FUCK, can that be used as justification. Kinda something you can't downplay, or call it anything less than abhorrent, it really shouldn't be happening in the first place.

why on earth (ok maybe on earth, but nowhere else) should players be defending him in the first place?

Jae Onasi:
As someone who has had to call the police twice for online friends trying to commit suicide (thank God the police saved both), I find this panel's actions reprehensible. Anyone who laughed or agreed with the presenter are just as guilty for creating this negative environment as the presenter himself.

So first you limit peoples personal choices by imposing police on them, then thank your imaginary friend for them and then claim you are right? only on earth this can happen.

Jae Onasi:
Sometimes suicide threats are false. Sometimes, however, the person is actively trying to kill himself or herself. You cannot assume that the threat is false. It is imperative to call for help each time--the cost for being wrong is simply too high.

you mean the cost of a person actually having a choice about his life?

Anyway, looks like CCP has caved into pressure. No more fun at fanfest:
http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=28575

Humans are terrible people.

Jae Onasi:

you mean the cost of a person actually having a choice about his life?

I stand corrected.

(Face palm) ...I hate people sometimes. I really do.

Moromillas:

You know what's funny, I don't believe his apology was sincere.

http://soundcloud.com/cptunderpants/state-of-the-goonion-march#play

Mitanni has responded by saying he was throwing by him under the buss, and nailed to the cross.

Akisa:

You know what's funny, I don't believe his apology was sincere.

http://soundcloud.com/cptunderpants/state-of-the-goonion-march#play

Mitanni has responded by saying he was throwing by him under the buss, and nailed to the cross.

As an eve player: Welcome to Eve: The Game Where Behavior The Gets You Banned Anywhere Else is 'Fair Play'.

I've played since beta and the general behavior of the players has been sliding ever since. 'Well, It's a sandbox' is CCPs usual response to player behavior issues. Of course, mind you, it's not hard to see the logic: Most successful alliances harass their opponents (both in EvE and out of it) until they give up and either leave game or go someplace else. The idea that it would be OK to harass someone until they kill themselves is a logical outgrowth of that in the minds of the sort of scum that run alliances these days.

Unfortunately, if someone were to kill themselves over harassment in eve, it would open CCP and the offending persons to legal action, regardless of the EULA.

Callate:

FelixG:
The really funny thing is that the whole ordeal is making The Wiz (the guy that wrote that letter) really happy!

Not because you wanna be reactionary moral people are blowing this out of proportion, but because in game he has been making friends, and that he was actually part of a key note at EVE Fanfest.

He reported that he wished he could have been there in person for it.

That's great, if true. Are we to believe it would have occurred without all this scrutiny on the matter?

smallharmlesskitten:
Hi Kids.

It's been blown out of proportion. You're all bandwagoning worse than the muppets on the official forums. He's apologised.

That's great, if true. Are we to believe it would have occurred without all this scrutiny on the matter?

Maybe he was a drama-seeker. Maybe he was "abusing" a system where people brag and cheer scams and thefts and online muggings costing months of work and virtual goods worth thousands of dollars.

What isn't in question- despite a few delightful attempts to make it otherwise- is that the person who this attention has been focused upon encouraged a broad audience to bully a specific player until his life was unlivable. Said player may or may not have been dangerously depressed, but that's not the kind of diagnosis you leave up to the psychological expertise of random Eve Online players. Least of all the kind who are happy to make a flippant assumption if it allows them to continue on their merry way or encourages them to spite someone who has rubbed them the wrong way anyway.

If the gun was unloaded- especially if you didn't know if it was- do you think the person who you pointed it at and pulled the trigger should be ready to laugh it off as a joke with you?

You can sneer about "self-righteousness" or call people "muppets" or accuse them of jumping on the bandwagon all you want. In light of the reality, it says far more about the name-callers than it does about those who are angry. I won't say I approve of some members' blanket condemnation of Eve Online or its players, but I haven't exactly seen a lot of the people on the other side of the issue making a good case for those players' understanding and compassion if they're setting themselves up as examples.

If there's something I'm "failing to understand" as an "outsider" about encouraging others to hector someone to the point of suicide, praise all the powers that be that I'm an outsider, and I'll take the scorn that comes with it with grateful thanks.

Hi Callate. You seem to be quite mad and throw around quote marks all you want to make yourself more of an intellectual-type.

You're missing the part that this is Eve-Online, a game that hates you, and 10,000 voters were just disenfranchised by Kneejerk reactions caused by people such as yourself. He's apologised personally to the Miner (Who incidentally wasn't suicidal in any way). He's made two public statements to the fact he's deeply upset at what he did. But no. lets keep pushing to have Goons punished and take the moral high ground over a video game where worse is said in Jita Local every fucking day.

Did you know that Mittens and his wife recieve death threats and CCP does nothing about that? Actual death threats via Mail and E-mail. CCP Does fuck all. Double Standards are great.

RaikuFA:

take me too!!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook