Gamers Ship 400 Cupcakes to BioWare in Protest of Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I scooped you guys! HAHA!

Fan: "So did you like the cupcakes"

BW: "They were great. You have really shown us how much you care."

Fans "So is their going to be a new ending?"

BW: "Sadly not, we are not willing to change the end of our story."

Fans "Well that is too bad. The antidote was in the 'Congratulation on the new ending' shipment. If you need us we will be cancelling the an order."

kickyourass:
I'm confused, tell me again why the cupcakes are supposed to be a bad thing? I mean maybe it's just the way things work in my family, but if you are given a cupcake it's probably because you did something good and the giver wants you to keep doing it. I mean what the hell is the message here, "Make something we don't like and we'll send you pastry?" How is that supposed to discourage them? Are they hoping the Bioware staff will get diabetes?

I think it's more "We don't like how Mass effect 3 turned out either, but we don't hate you. To prove this, here's 400 cupcaakes." Not all forms of protest have to involve screaming.

Yes, I have angered the BioWare fanboys. Good, good.

Better yet, don't even frost them. Just dye them different colors. And maybe put an anchovy in them or something. Just went from metaphor to BETTAPHOR.

see, this is how you protest. now when someone starts ignorantly spouting how we are all a bunch of entitled whiners, we can say "oh yes, we are so entitled that we sent them 1000$ worth of cupcakes so they would hear us out. how selfish of us!"

As much as I aplaud such a creative mode of protest, I kind of suspect Bioware would have to destroy the cupcakes, because what if they're poisoned? Unlikely, but still, you just know theres some douchebag out there who'd mix laxatives into the icing at least.

GeneralFungi:
Not all forms of protest have to involve screaming.

HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST THAT PROTESTS BE REASONABLE!!! WHAT KIND OF COMMIE/GAY/NAZI (cross out as appropriate) ARE YOU!!! DAMN IT BOY, I SHOULD [unintelligable swearing]!!!

DrWilhelm:
As much as I aplaud such a creative mode of protest, I kind of suspect Bioware would have to destroy the cupcakes, because what if they're poisoned? Unlikely, but still, you just know theres some douchebag out there who'd mix laxatives into the icing at least.

What? The neutral guys who made and delivered the cupcakes? I somehow doubt they would do that.

Ticonderoga117:

DrWilhelm:

What? The neutral guys who made and delivered the cupcakes? I somehow doubt they would do that.

It's the risk factor I think, more than the actual propability. Theres probably some over the top health and safety rule about it anyway /shrug.

I still think it's an awesome idea though.

You think Bioware will eat them? I'm guessing prob not, my first reaction (if i were them) would be expecting dog poo to be a secret ingredient somewhere

This is possibly one of the more awesome forms of protest ever, in the history of hoomankind.

Ok this is just getting ridiculous. Scratch that, this left ridiculous far behind some time ago. I mean seriously, is the ending of a video game really worth this much effort?
On the other hand, this has to be one of the better protests about it that I've seen so far.

Wait, how are you gonna equally divide 400 cupcakes into 3 colours?

GeneralFungi:

kickyourass:
I'm confused, tell me again why the cupcakes are supposed to be a bad thing? I mean maybe it's just the way things work in my family, but if you are given a cupcake it's probably because you did something good and the giver wants you to keep doing it. I mean what the hell is the message here, "Make something we don't like and we'll send you pastry?" How is that supposed to discourage them? Are they hoping the Bioware staff will get diabetes?

I think it's more "We don't like how Mass effect 3 turned out either, but we don't hate you. To prove this, here's 400 cupcaakes." Not all forms of protest have to involve screaming.

You forgot "Also, we're really passive-agressive."

Doc Theta Sigma:

thomaskattus:
It seems to me that sending them cupcakes, even with a message is more a reward than a protest.

*Cupcakes arrive at Bioware. Employees proceed to feast.*

"Hey Jerry... Where did these cupcakes come from?"
"Fans sent them. Some sort of protest about Mass Effect 3... Who knows."
"Sweet. Free cupcakes."

more like:

"Fans sent them. Something about Mass Effect 3... Guess they must have really liked the ending or something."
"Sweet. Free cupcakes."

:P

---
On a side note, we now know the REAL reason Bioware made the ending the way they did... cupcakes.

Halflife 2: Episode 3 will now also have a poorly-received ending so valve can get protest brownies.
and Diablo's ending is being re-written as we speak so they can get given free protest donuts.

Some_weirdGuy:

Doc Theta Sigma:

thomaskattus:
It seems to me that sending them cupcakes, even with a message is more a reward than a protest.

*Cupcakes arrive at Bioware. Employees proceed to feast.*

"Fans sent them. Some sort of protest about Mass Effect 3... Who knows."
"Sweet. Free cupcakes."

more like:

"Fans sent them. Something about Mass Effect 3... Guess they must have really liked the ending or something."
"Sweet. Free cupcakes."

:P

"Hey Jerry... Where did these free cupcakes come from?"
"Oh, those dudes who've been bitching non stop about Mass Effect 3 and telling us all to go kill ourselves... want one?"
"Uhhh.. no Ill pass thanks..."

If I had a horde of angry nerds on my ass and they sent me anything edible I wouldn't risk eating it at all, no matter how delicious they may look.

All the cupcakes will be divided into equal parts Red, Blue and Green colors... but they will all taste exactly the same.

I laughed way harder than i should have.

They should also send one empty box, with a note inside, encouraging them to buy the purple cupcakes they designed after they had packaged the RBG ones.

Of course the purple cupcakes will still be vanilla.

wow... 400 cupcakes... oh can you feel the seering hate?

Vanilla cupcakes?

Shouldn't they be bitter almond?

Surprisingly fitting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLFu38kqOM4

OT: I love this idea. It's funny, poetic and people get cupcakes.

This is pretty awesome actuallly, and now I feel like having some cupcakes.

$1000 dollars on this! all those damn charity's out there needing cash and they spend it on this. Whiney little nerds. I'm going to send cupcakes to all the bullys who made there lives hell through school. The icing will say one thing. Good job!

Batsamaritan:
$1000 dollars on this! all those damn charity's out there needing cash and they spend it on this. Whiney little nerds. I'm going to send cupcakes to all the bullys who made there lives hell through school. The icing will say one thing. Good job!

They tried giving money to charity, it was shut down because people are too thick to read what they are donating for and thought they were bloody buying a new ending, recall.

OT: This is just cool, even if it has made me seriously want to go out and buy cupcakes now, even though it is like 4:30 in the A.M. here.

That is freakin' brilliant. Best protest in the history of yumanity (not a typo).

These people are fucking nuts. Who spends $1000 just to spitefully send cupcakes.

This is a day when i wish i worked for bioware. "free cupcakes? this was all worth it."

Adam Jensen:
That is freakin' brilliant. Best protest in the history of yumanity (not a typo).

Nah, the Jericho nuts protest still beats it. Apperently they wanted the show to continue and they followed the last general words "nuts" to the letter. they started sending nuts to the studio, so much that they had to rent a warehouse to store them.

EvilChameleon:
400 cupcakes can not be divided evenly into 3 different colors.

it's actually 402 but for some reason it gets reported as 400.

SL33TBL1ND:
These people are fucking nuts. Who spends $1000 just to spitefully send cupcakes.

No spite intended. We've had 16 (at last count) replies from devs/mods saying things to the effect of "awesome". that's more replies than they usually give to forum threads atm :(

Also, with literally thousands of people on the BSN, the cost per person who decided to chip in was... negligible, to say the least.

They should have made the icing a mixture of Green, Red and Blue.

That... that's DEVIOUS! And ingenious! And... delicious.
Indelivious?

We've all learnt nothing from Portal.

Batsamaritan:

You are the worst kind of person

OT: Its their money let them do what they wanna do

You pathetic entitled little shits how dare you send bioware pastry

good job to bad people will just keep saying oh your ruining our artistic integrity of video game story telling even though mass effect 3 has about as much artistic integrity as a piece of paper covered in shit

What kind of person would come up with such a half-baked idea? I think it's stupid whichever way you slice it.

First raising money for charity, now CUPCAKES?

BioWare fans have clearly gone quite insane. But at least it's turning to more of the good kind of insane, rather than the bad "I have a gun to my head change the ending or I will pull the trigger" insane.

Oh god, someone's going to do that now, aren't they? If they do, though, they should at least do it properly. Load a revolver with different coloured bullets and yell "IT ALL ENDS IN DEATH NO MATTER WHAT I DO".

Hmm. This post kind of got away from me there. But yeah, cupcakes. I like them.

Mike Kayatta:

The natural next question is, of course, "why," and the answer is well ... interesting?
Essentially, the cupcakes have been iced in three different colors, but all taste the same. See where this is going? If you still don't get it, here's what LoganKey has to say about his sugary scheme:

thats why:

Bioware's Creative Producer Casey Hudson once famously said:
It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C...The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them.

So in protest of the endings, a fan on the BioWare forums has collected around $1,005 from his fellow protestors and have sent a batch of cupcakes to the studio.
The 402 custom cupcakes made by Fuss Cupcakes under the name Retake ME3 will be delivered with one-third with Green vanilla icing with the letter 'A', another one-third with Blue vanilla icing with the letter 'B', and the last third with Red vanilla icing with the letter 'C':

Bioware has been slammed by negativity from all sides in the last few weeks. This is our way, as fans, to drive our message home, but in a (literally) sweet way. We want Bioware to add some more 'sweet' to their 'bittersweet' ending. What better way to do this than with CUPCAKES :-D.

sauce: http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/bioware-receives-402-protest-cupcakes-of-mass-effect-3-ending-11947

it seems like kokatu has created some cupcakes to be able to include a photo in their article.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here