Sony Won't Approve Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Promos

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

rolfwesselius:

2&3:Sony is not allowed to modify the code to be run on the ps3.They got the permission to sell the game not the ip which allows them to modify it.
Second it does not matter if the hardware can run it the software cant run on the hardware and they can not modify the software.
Even if they wanted to they can not make the games run on the ps3.
Second software emulation SUCKS.
Hell ps2 emulation is nearly impossible even on modern day pc's.
Try to make it run on a ps3. software emulation will just be a broken buggy mess.

actually .... its not, there's one PS2 emu that actually runs the games pretty well, there's a little slow down, (or a lot of its SotC, it tanks down to a frame rate of like 10) but over all it runs pretty good. I'd give it another couple updates before they have the bugs worked out (like Burnout 3's interesting color pallet, or Okami not working at all)

yes, i check this shit out :p easier to have one system that dose every thing rather then 4 with a mess of cables and cords

I don't get it, I've seen Sony do this for at least one other online game. I know Uncharted 3 has random weekend events with XP boosts and testing for new modes and stuff. Seems kinda weird.

Odin311:
It is possible that Sony doesn't have PSN set up to do this type of thing. Does anyone recall any promotional events on any other games?

Uncharted series had the only multiplayer promotionals I can think of, but I'm sure World at War and Black Ops had their own too.

OT: If I own a playstation, (which I do) I'm either one of two people. Either A: I'm someone who doesn't play Mass Effect anyways (this one's me), so I don't really care. Or B: I do play Mass Effect, and I get a little upset that Sony didn't greenlight a promotion. But then I remember I'm going to play the game anyways, so I keep playing.

This isn't gonna drive anyone away from the PS3 or Mass Effect, and really isn't that big of a deal. Majority of PS3 users (since the majority of their user age group is 18-24, at least by 2009's statistics) probably got more going on in their life to worry about.

This all still makes no difference to me. The last 3 times I played multiplayer on my PS3, it froze my whole system. Granted that was almost 3 weeks ago and I haven't touched it since, but that's because I'm afraid of my PS3 bricking again. I already lost my backwards compatible one, I don't want to lose my 250GB one as well. I think its BS that Bioware said "The multiplayer won't have any affect on the outcome of the main story." Yet my galaxy readiness never moved in game unless I did some multiplayer. It went up 4% before I kept getting the freezes. And this apparently has no affect on the games over all ending? That's the one and only Bullshit I call on Bioware over the whole Mass Effect 3 thing. I haven't finished the game yet partly do to wanting a "better ending" (despite them all apparently being shit) so I wanted to do some MP before finishing up. That and the whole "extended cut" coming out in the summer apparently. I may as well just wait.

hmm..EA, sorry if I don't take your word at face value, but this isn't the first time you've passed the buck.

El Luck:
hmm..EA, sorry if I don't take your word at face value, but this isn't the first time you've passed the buck.

Considering they're doing these events on two other platforms...I mean what? Like at this point you're really reaching to make EA look bad.

What the hell, Sony? Now I have to miss this event too? Ugh.
If it's because of a security risk, then fine whatever. If not, I'd like to know what's up.

Fappy:
They are probably scared about users sending their data to EA. Maybe they think its a security risk?

I would think that it would be similar to the 360 experience, in that I have to connect to the EA servers to play multiplayer. Wouldn't that mean that PS3 users are connecting to the same servers? Or does the PS3 have separate servers for its players that play the ME3 multiplayer?

It really makes no sense for Sony to be doing this. It's not like EA is making money off of these events. The events are free and players get free stuff. So, I wonder if Sony doesn't want their players to get free stuff from people that aren't with Sony.

vxicepickxv:
If EA wants to run promotional weekends, they can go ahead and build their own console, with their own computer network to run it on. -Sony

Did Sony actually say that? I would like to see a link, if they did then they are really digging a six foot hole for themselves, because that statement is sheer lunacy.

My question would be, has any other developer or publisher tried to have such special events with their games, and has Sony let them? If not, then Sony doesn't want to keep multiplayer games alive very long. Such promotions are what keep multiplayer games alive for me, and it seems it has become a regular thing for multiplayer in games as of the past few years, at least on the 360. Halo Reach runs new ones every week where players can get extra credits to buy armor pieces.

Sony as no real reason to be doing this, and I feel sorry for people that play ME3 multiplayer on the PS3.

Darkmantle:
And I still have a sony fanboy friend who keeps telling me PSN is better than live

Well free is free, but free is free free.

Of course, looking at it from a free perspective, free free can free what free to free free free.

... unless it's free.

I guess one could say you get what you pay for, but PSN has always been just as good as Live gold in my experience, and personally I just like the PSN store better.

That kinda sucks for PS3 users :/

Not that I have the game on any platform but I know its annoying to have a cut down version or not being included in an otherwise multi platform event or system (See Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing PC Version... No Online MP no DLC)

But maybe this is the kick in the rear end that Sony needs to maybe pick up the pace and approve it.

Maybe EA will run a week long event of some sort to help pay back the PS3 users that couldn't before hand (not that technically they owe the player anything)

rolfwesselius:

Hell ps2 emulation is nearly impossible even on modern day pc's.
Try to make it run on a ps3. software emulation will just be a broken buggy mess.

PCSX2... Jus Sayin'

elcamino41383:
I think its BS that Bioware said "The multiplayer won't have any affect on the outcome of the main story." Yet my galaxy readiness never moved in game unless I did some multiplayer.

To clarify, the galactic readiness was always, in fact, meant to reflect multiplayer play. It doesn't reflect how close you are to the "best ending"(which is almost identical to all other endings and just as shit as them as well), but rather multiplies your war asset value by the % displayed (50 if you don't play any multiplayer).

What bioware meant was, that if you complete almost all sidequests and get most of the war assets it is possible to get double what is required to fill the war asset bar, thus allowing you to get all endings without playing any multiplayer. Multiplayer is just an alternative to side-questing in this regard.

For me, I only needed to play one or two matches to max my war asset bar and get the "best" ending.

Azure-Supernova:
I don't get it, I've seen Sony do this for at least one other online game. I know Uncharted 3 has random weekend events with XP boosts and testing for new modes and stuff. Seems kinda weird.

Though you have to look at it like this:

The Uncharted series is a PS3 exclusive, Mass Effect is a multi-platform series.

I wonder if Sony doesn't allow such promotions for games that aren't exclusive to their platform.

Basically a form of, "How dare you develop and publish for other platforms than ours."

Sonic Doctor:

Azure-Supernova:

Though you have to look at it like this:

The Uncharted series is a PS3 exclusive, Mass Effect is a multi-platform series.

I wonder if Sony doesn't allow such promotions for games that aren't exclusive to their platform.

Basically a form of, "How dare you develop and publish for other platforms than ours."

Well I don't know about it being an exclusive thing, because Call of Duty does (or did) events like double XP weekends too. Also is it just the double XP? Because I noticed that there's some free DLC sitting on the store.

Odin311:
It is possible that Sony doesn't have PSN set up to do this type of thing. Does anyone recall any promotional events on any other games?

I recall double xp, triple xp weekends on Killzone 3. Maybe Resistance 3? But I'm not sure.

Hmm...

Well, I actually do see one legitimate reason for Sony to act differently than Microsoft in this regard.

What are promotions designed to do? Promotions are designed to increase the number of people using your product over a certain period of time. They offer incentives for people who would not usually buy/use your product to do so, possibly (hopefully) gaining them as customers in the long run.

According to their website, Xbox Live Multiplayer costs at least $5 a month. If someone on the Xbox decides to play Mass Effect 3 multiplayer on their network, that gives them a reason to spring for Xbox Live. If they don't ever cancel that (which will probably happen in at least a few cases, what I wouldn't give to have all the money I've spent on stuff I don't use any more back) then Microsoft scores an extra $5 a month... forever. Or more, if they spring for the family pack.

On the other hand, PSN usage is free. If Sony runs this promotion and "gains a customer" in a similar manner, here's what they gain: extra drain on their servers, more work to turn this event on and off, possible bug fixes if there's a problem with it. That's it. Taking this opportunity to "promote" their free product does nothing for them but waste money... granted, probably not very MUCH money, but it still gives them... well... no reason to bother?

Meh, I just maxed out my 5th class anyway (all except sentinel, becuase who cares about sentinel?), so xp is meaningless to me now anyway. Would have been nice to get a free pack to unlock one of the new races, but it's not hard to just play silver a couple of times to get enough money to buy the other packs, especially whilst there's still that premium spectre pack available atm. Pretty much all my money's going into that lately and I've unlocked a ton of new weapons, including 2 of the new ones.

No sign on any new races yet but they'll turn up eventually.

Uhh guys, doesn't this just mean that they're testing it to make sure everything works?

It's not like we wont get it, Sony's just taking longer than usual to approve it.

This isn't that big of a deal.

ME3 multiplayer blows anyway

Azure-Supernova:

Sonic Doctor:
snip

Well I don't know about it being an exclusive thing, because Call of Duty does (or did) events like double XP weekends too. Also is it just the double XP? Because I noticed that there's some free DLC sitting on the store.

Well there is free ME3 multiplayer DLC that just came out on the 10th, Resurgence, which includes two new maps, and two new races to play, Batarians and Geth, and they also added the new Asari Justicar in the Adept slot, as well as a Krogan Vanguard, there are also several new weapons and weapon upgrades. That is what this week's operation is about, Operation Resurgence. As the article says, players will get 10% extra XP from playing on the new maps, plus will get a free pack that will unlock one of the new characters to play.

Sony players will get the DLC, but won't be able to take part in the event to celebrate the new DLC.

Threeseventyfive:

I've seen people saying this, but why? I consider it to some of the best multiplayer I've played in a while, it's even better when you've got friends to play it with.

Is it because it is just based on teamwork and not player against player?

Sonic Doctor:

Threeseventyfive:

I've seen people saying this, but why? I consider it to some of the best multiplayer I've played in a while, it's even better when you've got friends to play it with.

I dislike it for three reasons

1: It's a regular generic horde mode that does nothing that hasn't already been done better
2: It's basically essential to play a ton of it mid-campaign if you want the best ending
3: MASS EFFECT NEVER NEEDED MUTLIPLAYER

Threeseventyfive:

Sonic Doctor:

Threeseventyfive:

I dislike it for three reasons

1: It's a regular generic horde mode that does nothing that hasn't already been done better
2: It's basically essential to play a ton of it mid-campaign if you want the best ending
3: MASS EFFECT NEVER NEEDED MUTLIPLAYER

1: I disagree. Mixing horde mode with essentially a Pokemon card element for weapon and character acquisition, allowing the weapons you acquire and upgrade to remain with your characters no matter whether they get promoted or not, was a great addition. It increases replayability.

2: Yes, BioWare lied about the necessity of playing the multiplayer, but that's the fault of the PR department, not the multiplayer itself. And since it's not PVP, you really don't need a different skill set for it.

3: The fact that most people have stuck with Mass Effect 3 BECAUSE of the multiplayer these days refutes your argument.

"No comment" doesn't mean anything suspicious or evil like in the movies. It means, "we aren't worried about this enough to comment" more often than not.

Ilikemilkshake:
Inb4 Shoulda got it on the PC. (because you should have you dirty console scrubs)

I think I'll skip it up, because of Origin... And the fact all of my characters from the past 2 games have been on Xbox.

Fun Fact- Mass Effect 1 was originally a Xbox 360 exclusive.

Odin311:

umm yeah but then again most of them were either ps3 franchises (killzone 3, Uncharted 3) or much more popular games (Call of Duty: Black Ops, Modern Warfare 3) but i'm not sure if they built it in the game before it was released.

Every time Sony get closer to me liking them again, they pull more B.S. like this out of their collective arses.

And, for the sake of full disclosure, own both consoles, use PS3 as primary. Just never got to like Xbox, so i have on for exclusive titles.

LOL

EA says something people don't agree with: "EA is shit! You can't trust them!"

EA says something people agree with: "EA must be telling the truth. Booo, Sony!"

Oh internet forums, you so cute.

Sony is usually the one allowing promotions which microsoft dont. There probably is a good reason if Sony does not approve. They are probably the only eastern company that hasnt shat on everyone yet.

MASTACHIEFPWN:

Ilikemilkshake:
Inb4 Shoulda got it on the PC. (because you should have you dirty console scrubs)

I think I'll skip it up, because of Origin... And the fact all of my characters from the past 2 games have been on Xbox.

Fun Fact- Mass Effect 1 was originally a Xbox 360 exclusive.

Fun Fact- I was kidding (Also the PC port was much better :) )

And you could always use a save converter to switch up your saves.. but if Origin is a deal breaker then fair enough.

Wow, Sony has more bad PR on something than EA! That's like... a miracle or something :P

Sooooo, I'll just have to play the game then?

TERRIBLE!! How dare they force me to play the game just the same way I always have been.

Innegativeion:
What bioware meant was, that if you complete almost all sidequests and get most of the war assets it is possible to get double what is required to fill the war asset bar, thus allowing you to get all endings without playing any multiplayer. Multiplayer is just an alternative to side-questing in this regard.

For me, I only needed to play one or two matches to max my war asset bar and get the "best" ending.

In order to get the Shepard miraculously lives after orbital reentry and lands in the same area that he took the beam up because of course the slipstream as he fell through the atmosphere would deposit him directly back in London(assuming non-indoctrination theory) ending you have to play multiplayer. It is impossible to reach without.

I would be super-psyked over this as a member of a PC Master race, if not for the fact that ME3 Multiplayer does not allow me to finish even a single silver-match without disconnecting all my teammates or myself.
Getting massive disconnects and I am literally stranded to only playing matches I generate myself (and it is a very stupid grind trying to solo a Silver, given that even a rag-tag team of 4 can do it like 4 times faster)

I believe several X-Box owners reported the same thing.

So PS3 owners - treasure what you do have, which is a stable connection to EA-servers.
It's worth all the bonus weekends in the world...

It's so fantastic up here on my PC pedestal.

I kid, I kid. Sony really are stupid sometimes. Just let the people play!

Its really a silly move for Sony not to allow the promotional weekend. But EA announced that the first dlc pack would come to xbox live earlier than to the Playstation Network. This can be sony´s way to "tell them" they didn´t like that move. But i guess they are only harming they´re own users with this ...

He's right its free, but I'll stick with xbox anyway

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or