Internet Petition Demands Dark Souls Drop GFWL

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I think that you should be happy that you all get Dark Souls. So it uses a service that is not steam and you don't like as much. So your going to pitch a fit and start a petition? My grandfather told me that "hold out both hands and see if it fills up with gold or shit first." You all got your gold in the form of Dark Souls, if it comes with a little shit in the form of GFWL on the side that is just something you'll have to deal with.

BTW I have used GFWL before. I found it mediocre.

AnarchistAbe:
I agree with a large majority of this. I'm just saying. It'd be like me not having enough cookies, and you not having one. I go bake you a special cookie that takes up a lot of my time and effort. Then, you decide that I didn't use the right chocolate chips in my cookie, and you throw it in my face. Isn't that a bit of a dick move?

That analogy doesn't even remotely fit, no one is complaining about the cookie, they didn't change the actual game.

It's more like this; We saw that Namco had given someone a tasty cookie and we hadn't gotten one, so we asked them to give us a cookie too and they did and not only was the cookie as good as the one the other person had gotten, it was actually a bit better (2 additional bosses). But when we reached to take the cookie Namco slaps our hand away and says that we're not allowed to eat it with our hands, Namco then hands us a rusty fork that is covered in soap so it's hard to hold onto and the head is searing hot so it hurts to eat with, Namco then says that we can only eat the cookie if we use that fork.

There, that's a fitting analogy.

They are giving us something nice and requiring that we use something very, very not nice before we get to consume the nice thing, I find it a perfectly valid move to throw it back at them, which isn't even really what we're doing.

bringer of illumination:

AnarchistAbe:
I agree with a large majority of this. I'm just saying. It'd be like me not having enough cookies, and you not having one. I go bake you a special cookie that takes up a lot of my time and effort. Then, you decide that I didn't use the right chocolate chips in my cookie, and you throw it in my face. Isn't that a bit of a dick move?

That analogy doesn't even remotely fit, no one is complaining about the cookie, they didn't change the actual game.

It's more like this; We saw that Namco had given someone a tasty cookie and we hadn't gotten one, so we asked them to give us a cookie too and they did and not only was the cookie as good as the one the other person had gotten, it was actually a bit better (2 additional bosses). But when we reached to take the cookie Namco slaps our hand away and says that we're not allowed to eat it with our hands, Namco then hands us a rusty fork that is covered in soap so it's hard to hold onto and the head is searing hot so it hurts to eat with, Namco then says that we can only eat the cookie if we use that fork.

There, that's a fitting analogy.

They are giving us something nice and requiring that we use something very, very not nice before we get to consume the nice thing, I find it a perfectly valid move to throw it back at them, which isn't even really what we're doing.

Well the analogy almost fits. Try someone bought a cookie from Namco and we said we would like to buy one too then it fits perfectly.

How about...OMG...No DRM at all? DRM is a pointless waste of time. They'd probably get a lot of praise if they released the game DRM free. People are just going to crack it an hour after release anyway so why punish legal consumers? Oh what am I saying they don't give a shit.

Well several people will have unknowingly have saved their PC's from rage induced annihilation due to DS being a GFWL exclusive...

Good job GFWL! Savior of mice, keyboards and monitors everywhere.

Though if it comes out on Steam as well I expect a thread on this site called "Dark Souls broke my PC!!!!!111!" or something similar about a day after launch.

Hope the port fails to profit. Teach them idiots a lesson.

Alma Mare:

I just hope they change it. Granted Namco Bandai have proven themselves to be idiots plenty of times but they did make a smart move bringing it over here. The GFWL wasn't even remotely smart but chances are they didn't know since they tend to not listen to the rest of the world. Now they have a bunch of people telling them not to do this so if they continue to listen they will learn more and be able to succeed. You do have to remember there's not a big PC market in Japan so while there are some who commit to the PC like Nihon Falcom a lot of them don't bother with it over there.

I will still play it just due to my love of Dark Souls... but man, GFWL is just so shitty.
I have played probably 5 games that used it; some not even heavily. It just fucks up all the time. Like the well-known Arkham Asylum bug where it just deletes all your save games. That was great.

I could rant for like 3000 words about all the issues I've experienced first hand, but I'll just stop talking instead.

i would like to say we should already be grateful that its comming for pc.
but GFWL can sometimes sting you in the neck..

I'm behind this. I'm not a "Steam or no sale" customer, but a "If you have to use regulated, online distribution, use Steam. It's simply the best around" person.

Although I am a raving Steam fanatic.

I'm with the "steam or no sale" crowd.. actually, make that "game being on sale on steam" instead.

I'm curious about the game for sure, but it would have to jump into my lap with a heavily reduced pricetag for me to even consider it.

I must be the only one who doesn't like Steam.

It never lets me launch games I've bought unless I'm online. Fuck their DRM.

I'm with the minority "Just sell me the fucking game without any third party bullshit". Seriously, people are getting too comfortable with being forced to have an online account somewhere just to play a game they paid full price for. I lasted this long without the game, I can continue to do without it if it's got that GFWL POS.

-Guy that still misses the golden age of gaming.

It's not a deal breaker for me. There are ways around GFWL.

Ok, actual question here, since I've used GFWL with no problems on my PC since manually updating it, it's run fine. What ARE peoples problems with it? Ok ok I understand it is a little clunky, and it isn't exactly user friendly (I've been trying to change my screen name for months) and the support.. the support just doesn't exist.

But all that considered, it works fine for Gotham city Imposters, Arkham Asylum and the likes, so as far as interfering with a game goes, I don't see any problems, can someone explain?

-_- Did it realy need to jump right to the petition? Couldn't you guys use less annoying means like emailing them your complaints?

please to the gods of consoles, can the extra levels be released as DLC

Guys, guys. Look at the bright side, you don't need to worry about getting invaded and lag-stabbed to death if they stick with GFWL. /joke

Seriously, why do companies still use that service?

ccdohl:
Master race? Hahahaha that's funny. haha hah haaaaaaaah.

But seriously, what's with that?

It's a ridiculous meme that came out of a Zero Punctuation episode.

Elate:
Ok, actual question here, since I've used GFWL with no problems on my PC since manually updating it, it's run fine. What ARE peoples problems with it? Ok ok I understand it is a little clunky, and it isn't exactly user friendly (I've been trying to change my screen name for months) and the support.. the support just doesn't exist.

But all that considered, it works fine for Gotham city Imposters, Arkham Asylum and the likes, so as far as interfering with a game goes, I don't see any problems, can someone explain?

Many many people have completely lost their save files for major games like Fallout 3 and Bioshock 2. That's one of the major issues.

What exactly is the problem with GFWL?

Saying "I hate it because it sucks" really doesn't help.

GFWL is what made me not be able to play GTA4, i wanted to, but GFWL just would'nt let me.

this is a steam or no sale for me.

idarkphoenixi:
What exactly is the problem with GFWL?

Saying "I hate it because it sucks" really doesn't help.

Read right above your post. There's also some connection issues games that have used it had.

I do have to wonder who thinks "we need a DRM service for our PC game" and then thinks "Games for Windows Live". It just seems illogical.

Edit: Oh, just remembered, Microsoft likes to buy things from Namco Bandai. Thats probably why.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111156-Microsoft-Bought-Tales-of-Vesperias-360-Exclusivity

Looks like were fucked. Cracked .exes and custom servers it is then.

Well, let's put it this way: say you've been wanting to have a baby for some time, and adoption isn't really an option for you. Then, say, a witch graciously offers you the solution, in exchange for your soul when you die. You agree.

Hours after the birth, the baby sneaks out of its room and stabs you in your sleep.

Swearing at your computer monitor and muttering about how the online guide didn't mention that part, you hit the reload button, but then it turns out GFWL corrupted your save files.

DO YOU REALLY WANT THIS TO HAPPEN?

Yep, I've had issues with GFWL.
I've had a little interest in the game, but if they stick with GFWL, that interest will evaporate. GFWL is a dealbreaker on ANY game for me, I don't care how good.

Colonel Joson:
*raises hand sheepishly* Uh hello everyone! I've used GFWL since I bought Dawn of War 2 and so far I haven't had any problems with it. If I may ask, what exactly is wrong with GFWL?

A lot of people have had or are having problems with gfwl (including me). Have you tryed steam then? even when gfwl works it's worse than steam.

Valdus:
Careful guys, if you keep this up people might start to think PC gamers are spoiled and entitled or something.

You got your freakin' port and you're getting bonus bosses as well. Quit crying for half a sec and try actually enjoying what you got.

I'm tempted to start a petition to From Software called the "Ignore the PC gamers" petition, because if they spend all their time catering for the PC crowd I'll probably never see a new Souls game since they'll never be satisfied. What's more annoying is that if I claim to be a PC gamer when I do I'll probably get tons of support for the petition.

What good is a port that won't run? Because that is the situation some PC users find themselves in when they realize a game they bought use GFWL. And there's rarely any help to get from MS.

There are plenty of other bugs and quirks associated with GFWL, for instance that server reliability and uptime is poor in some countries.

I feel like the only person who doesn't have a problem with GFWL. I've used it many times before and while it can make things a little difficult to get the ball rolling was you learn its foibles it generally works alright. While I would much rather get the game on steam (steam community and ingame) I don't really mind either way.

soulfire130:
-_- Did it realy need to jump right to the petition? Couldn't you guys use less annoying means like emailing them your complaints?

So bombarding the dev's inbox with emails is less annoying then a bunch of people signing one mass letter?

Ah GFWL. What a piece of crap. Ruined Section 8: Prejudice. Cannot complete a single game, GFWL always decides that i dont need to complete the match and DC's me.

SargentToughie:

soulfire130:

So bombarding the dev's inbox with emails is less annoying then a bunch of people signing one mass letter?

I'll be honest and say it was hard trying to find a example (which I apparently failed at doing). What I was trying to get at was there has to be another way of letting the devs know about the consumers disapproval other than having a petition say "Change this NOW!" That's all I'm saying.

I am still looking forward to this game on the PC, which by all accounts should be a much better version than either console version. I don't want GFWL, I hate it. But I will suffer it to play this game on my PC. As soon as I heard that it will be getting a definite PC release, I shelved my PS3 version.

I don't think people understand the concept of baby steps. We want them to feel that the PC is a worthwhile platform and that means helping them along and not offering ultimatums like, "Steam or No Sale". That is just stupid. I have mostly not had any problems with GFWL with a few exceptions, so I'm hoping this gets by without issues. When push comes to shove, it's not always fun to be invaded, and I never bother invading anyone. The only time I get help on the game is when I really am having trouble with a boss.

I'm not out to alienate them so we don't get future games from them. They do have another Souls game in the works and I would love for them to have a PC version out of the gate. Truth be told, if GFWL is a problem they will hear about it from customers. Worst case scenario, you just play solo. Which contrary to popular belief, doesn't change the game experience all that much. It's not really an integral part of the game as much as it is a cool feature.

Alma Mare:

That'll teach them alright. They just won't bother putting anymore games on the PC again, haha.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here