Nintendo Wants 3DS and Wii U to Realize the "Impossible"

Pages PREV 1 2

SonOfVoorhees:
Wont happen. Every one that buys Wiiu/3DS will wait for the 4 games worth buying on the system - Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Metroid. There 3rd party games are shit. An Nintendo just survive on them 4 franchisees by churning out more games based on them like Mario Cart, Mario Sport aand giving supporting characters games. They need to add more games, new IP, eventually no matter how much people love Mario - if you dont give them something new then they will not buy your console. Especially in today's climate.

Thats the problem with the Wii, it sold a lot of hardware but people didnt buy that many games for it as there was nothing worth buying. It took till the end of its life before they released a Zelda game for it.

Correct. And the ps360 has the opposite problem; they've sold very few consoles (compared to the wii or even their market saturation from last gen) but those console owners buy quite a few games.

Really if Nintendo would just get those big third party games from Bethesda, Bioware, and all those others, they could really clean up. Of course the Wii isn't quite up to task. Hopefully they'll make the WiiU future-proof and will try and get those bit 3rd party games but I remain doubtful.

Then again one could argue that the wii has managed to remain as the one real console experience. The ps3 & 360 have both adopted all the most annoying parts of PC gaming but haven't added any of the benefits. At least with a wii game, you can just pop it in the machine and play without having to punch in codes, download patches, and wonder if you have enough drive space.

SonOfVoorhees:
Wont happen. Every one that buys Wiiu/3DS will wait for the 4 games worth buying on the system - Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Metroid. There 3rd party games are shit. An Nintendo just survive on them 4 franchisees by churning out more games based on them like Mario Cart, Mario Sport aand giving supporting characters games. They need to add more games, new IP, eventually no matter how much people love Mario - if you dont give them something new then they will not buy your console. Especially in today's climate.

Thats the problem with the Wii, it sold a lot of hardware but people didnt buy that many games for it as there was nothing worth buying. It took till the end of its life before they released a Zelda game for it.

Funny, what with Nintendo announcing fat better third-party support for the Wii U, and with EA, Ubisoft, Crytek, Tecmo and THQ being among the publishers/developers saying they plan on supporting the console.

It's almost as if Nintendo realised one of the problems they had with the Wii, and are working to resolve it for the Wii U. But that's silly. After all, everyone knows that Nintendo is made up of idiots who couldn't tell their arse from their elbow.

Nintendo, Earthbound 3? or fuck off... Im really not a bitter nintendo fan from the gamecube n64 era.

Ive just realized as a consumer unlike the retake me3 fans, that if a company doesnt treat me like im a customer worth selling a decent product to then they don't get my money.

Satoru Iwata already has my love. Man helped make the entire Mother series. I'll love him forever for that. But, while I do love the Wii, I would definitely like to not see a two year stretch of nothing substantial released for the WiiU while they're busy broadening their audience. Divide and Conquer, guys. Retro Studios and HAL Laboratories don't need to be your only go-to developers. I loved the Galaxy titles as much as I loved DKCR and the Prime games, but a little more branching out wouldn't hurt. A new IP for the core group wouldn't go amiss, friends, even as much as we cry out for a new F-Zero, Arwing-based Starfox, or something similar.

Though, don't they still have the handheld core games in thrall? Did they ever really lose them?

BehattedWanderer:
Satoru Iwata already has my love. Man helped make the entire Mother series. I'll love him forever for that. But, while I do love the Wii, I would definitely like to not see a two year stretch of nothing substantial released for the WiiU while they're busy broadening their audience. Divide and Conquer, guys. Retro Studios and HAL Laboratories don't need to be your only go-to developers. I loved the Galaxy titles as much as I loved DKCR and the Prime games, but a little more branching out wouldn't hurt. A new IP for the core group wouldn't go amiss, friends, even as much as we cry out for a new F-Zero, Arwing-based Starfox, or something similar.

Though, don't they still have the handheld core games in thrall? Did they ever really lose them?

Course, they need to be more careful about who they get, or else we end up with Other M again. It ain't all negative on Nintendo's end :P

Of course relationships are strained, but a lot is riding on reputation, and it doesn't help that those developers keep backing out at ridiculous points in the schedule causing self fulfilling failure. I feel like we need to hire a professional face slapper to take care of Capcom.

Pikmin 3 for Wii U, which will be shown at E3.
Im basically getting a Wii U for that game.

Their third party games will be much better and I am hoping for some original IPs, Iwata will be laughing his way to the bank.

New Pikmin, SSB, skies of arcadia, and Timesplitters and I'll put my cash where you want it Nintendo.

New Mario, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Mario, Mario....kart, and I'll throw you to the ground like a free energy drink.

They alienated the hardcore pandering to casuals who have all jumped ship to the iphone for casual gaming and are now paying the full consequences. Now the hardcore barely acknowledges nintendo and maybe buys their yearly game, when the casuals don't want a gimmicky and stupid 3ds when they could just play the iphone.

And honestly, why WOULD you want a 3ds when the iphone has literally grown into an awesome little piece of gaming machinery? You can play games as casual as Fruit ninja or as hardcore as Chaos Rings, Infinity blade or the quest for a fraction of the price nintendo charges. And you don't even have to put up with the awful 3d gimmick.

So they lost their hardcore fans who made them what they are, and are losing their casual fans in droves because nintendo can no longer offer them a decent product.

Fuck you nintendo for not bringing over Fire emblem or Mother 3. Fuck you to hell. I hope you burn. Burn baby, BURN! (sorry for the last paragraph, I really needed to get that off my chest.)

Well I am a hell of a lot more likely to buy the Wii U over Microsoft's next console and I doubt Sony's will do much for me either.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

SonOfVoorhees:

Funny, what with Nintendo announcing fat better third-party support for the Wii U, and with EA, Ubisoft, Crytek, Tecmo and THQ being among the publishers/developers saying they plan on supporting the console.

It's almost as if Nintendo realised one of the problems they had with the Wii, and are working to resolve it for the Wii U. But that's silly. After all, everyone knows that Nintendo is made up of idiots who couldn't tell their arse from their elbow.

Nintendo has had the problem with third party support the last 3 generations. So far, they haven't managed to fix it and with the weird controller on the WiiU, they will alienate themselves again.

[As] people in the industry have observed what we have done in the past, if we prematurely disclose our development information, it is possible that products with similar concepts could be launched before Nintendo itself can finalize and launch the products."

read: we are too slow for current market.
And well if you ever needed a proof that stupidty rules the world - 3ds and wii was profitable.

Strazdas:

[As] people in the industry have observed what we have done in the past, if we prematurely disclose our development information, it is possible that products with similar concepts could be launched before Nintendo itself can finalize and launch the products."

And well if you ever needed a proof that stupidty rules the world - 3ds and wii was profitable.

Yes, because people who like and buy different video games and systems than the ones you like must be stupid, right?

Crono1973:

Nintendo has had the problem with third party support the last 3 generations. So far, they haven't managed to fix it and with the weird controller on the WiiU, they will alienate themselves again.

It's a bloody touchscreen.

This isn't some arcane, little-known piece of highly dubious technology. It's a touchscreen. The DS had a touchscreen, and that didn't alienate anyone. It became the best-selling handheld in history. The iPhone and iPad have touchscreens, and they've brought gaming apps to millions of people who never played games before. My mum plays games on her iPhone, and she's never been into games in her life.

Touchscreen technology is an established part of the gaming landscape now. Case closed. Any developer who looks at a touchscreen and can't think of any possible way to use it, at a time when Angry Birds, The World Ends With You and Metroid Hunters all exist and are available to play, is not a developer with an especially creative mind in the first place.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Crono1973:

It's a bloody touchscreen.

This isn't some arcane, little-known piece of highly dubious technology. It's a touchscreen. The DS had a touchscreen, and that didn't alienate anyone. It became the best-selling handheld in history. The iPhone and iPad have touchscreens, and they've brought gaming apps to millions of people who never played games before. My mum plays games on her iPhone, and she's never been into games in her life.

Touchscreen technology is an established part of the gaming landscape now. Case closed. Any developer who looks at a touchscreen and can't think of any possible way to use it, at a time when Angry Birds, The World Ends With You and Metroid Hunters all exist and are available to play, is not a developer with an especially creative mind in the first place.

The touchscreen on the DS alienated many Zelda fans. Don't say case closed, it makes you seem arrogant.

Crono1973:

The touchscreen on the DS alienated many Zelda fans. Don't say case closed, it makes you seem arrogant.

I'm sorry, I just fail to see how using a decade-old piece of technology that has been responsible for bringing handheld gaming ridiculous levels of success is in any way a new or novel thing.

Oh, so some Zelda fans didn't like the controls on the DS? Guess what: a whole load of old-school Zelda fans weren't exactly enamoured with the new-fangled controls for Ocarina Of Time on the N64. Does that mean that analogue sticks are needless gimmicks when compared to the design perfection that is the D-Pad?

If I seem arrogant, it's because it should be patently obvious that touch-screens are no longer new, novel or particularly gimmicky. Both dedicated handheld consoles now use them, mobile phones now come with them as standard, and tablet computers have found a whole new lease of like with them. Acting as if the Wii U's touchscreen controller is somehow still a gimmick is comparable to whining about the next Xbox/PS controller having shoulder buttons. That's where game design has now gone. It's been like this for a while now. The touchscreen party has been going on for years.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Crono1973:

I'm sorry, I just fail to see how using a decade-old piece of technology that has been responsible for bringing handheld gaming ridiculous levels of success is in any way a new or novel thing.

Oh, so some Zelda fans didn't like the controls on the DS? Guess what: a whole load of old-school Zelda fans weren't exactly enamoured with the new-fangled controls for Ocarina Of Time on the N64. Does that mean that analogue sticks are needless gimmicks when compared to the design perfection that is the D-Pad?

If I seem arrogant, it's because it should be patently obvious that touch-screens are no longer new, novel or particularly gimmicky. Both dedicated handheld consoles now use them, mobile phones now come with them as standard, and tablet computers have found a whole new lease of like with them. Acting as if the Wii U's touchscreen controller is somehow still a gimmick is comparable to whining about the next Xbox/PS controller having shoulder buttons. That's where game design has now gone. It's been like this for a while now. The touchscreen party has been going on for years.

I think you'll find that most people used the N64 to play Super Mario 64 long before OoT came out and by then (2 years after the launch of the N64) people were used to analog controls and the PS1 had them by then. Stop pretending the analog control is the same as touch controls.

Touch screens are fine for your phone, not for gaming. Most people would have preferred normal controls on those Zelda DS games. Touch controls for a phone or an iPad are fine, touch controls for games that need precision, not fine.

I never said it was a gimmick, I said the controller is weird and it is. It has all the parts of a standard controller but pick up your 360 controller and try to imagine a big XL size touch screen in the middle of it. Weird controllers is one thing that hurt the Wii. Most people would choose to play most games with the Classic Controller Pro than they would with the Wiimote or Wiimote + Nunchuck.

Also, chill the fuck out unless Nintendo is paying you to be a fanboy.

Look, we've all spent the last half decade using touch screens and motion controls for gaming. If people still prefer the traditional controller, then that should tell you something.

Just because you're conservative Crono1973, doesn't mean that your point of view is that of the world.

If people weren't receptive to new control concepts, the DS and Wii would have bombed back eight and six years ago and not have been record breaking successes, and Kinect wouldn't be selling units approaching that of actual home consoles.

And no, I'm not just saying this because I like Nintendo. This is coming from someone who didn't even play Phantom Hourglass beyond the second dungeon and wasn't even interested in Spirit Tracks in spite of being a huge fan both of Zelda, and of trains.

Hazy992:

FelixG:

Hazy992:
If Nintendo make a full 3D Pokémon game for the Wii U with gym leaders and stuff, I will overlook everything they've done these last few years and love them forever.

You know, I have been saying for months now that they couldn't pay me to bother with the Wii U, but by god if they released that I may well drop my cash on one...

Particularly if you could travel between regions and collect your favorite pokemon from the different areas.

Pretty much yeah. That and maybe a new Starfox and F-Zero would make that an instant purchase :)

F-zero! Captian Falcon has been absent from my tv screen for far too long. Hope that kid icarus' return is a sign for some of the more underplayed ips.

there's 3 companies in the console business currently:

a dying consumer electronics company that used to be the late 20th centurys Apple but has seriously lost its way.

a monopolist PC software giant who trying to put a cheap living room box with its software on it in every home in the world and is trying to do so at a heavy loss (and virtually only succeeding in "the west") much to the ire of its shareholders who would rather it just made better and better selling software (so y'know half of PC users might upgrade from XP...)

and a games company...which whether any of you like it or not financially won the last console generation by a country mile to the point that on the basis of selling games consoles and games alone it very nearly became the largest company in Japans entire economy.

place your chips.

personally mine are on Nintendo.

Sony is stumbling and imo Nintendo are going for revenge after the SNES-CD betrayal and losing their place as a pre-eminent mainstream console manufacturer due to the resulting release of the PS1.

there is a story being played out here and its a personal one between these two companies and the people who ran/run them (specifically Ken Kutaragi and Hiroshi Yamauchi). Nintendo sees their opening and has a war chest filled to the brim from selling every Wii (and hand-held, and game for them) at a solid profit and it knows exactly what it has to do.

and its really battle between these two.

Microsoft is an "also ran".

you might not agree but it could very well be out of the game come the end of the next console generation.

the fact it supposedly sold almost as many consoles as the PS3 matters very little when every single one of them has been sold at a loss, "the xbox project" has been a constant drain on MS accounts for over 11 years to the point they have fought cat and dog to hide that from shareholders but failed and all the big institutional shareholders (who will have a far larger say in how the company is run come the post Ballmer boardroom shuffle that is swiftly approaching) now want the company out of this loss making foray into hardware and instead want it to focus on its "core business" of software development. it is, after all, a company built from the ground up on the principal that software is far, far more profitable than hardware.

PS. the controller is a massive discussion red herring (mostly due to bad initial presentation).

its a unique peripheral (with interesting possibilities) that's all. limited to one (or possibly 2) per console the new Nintendo machine will still use "Classic" controllers (and all the Wii peripherals) as well as it. anyone using it as an argument that somehow its very existence will mean its not for "serious" gaming is being deliberately obtuse...and besides i suspect a great many will change their mind when those Dragon Quest and Pokemon MMOs come out and you release your basically getting a free gaming ipad for the home along with your fully HD, internet and backwards compatible 9th gen fully 3rd party supported with Nintendo exclusives games console :P

Thank you, Nintendo!

This is what's been bugging me! They've been catering to entirely the wrong audience since around the time the Wii came out! They even said so, in the first place! Now, they've realized their mistake and are going back to what has made them so great in the first place.

I wonder if they'll go overboard and make something that'll make us pull our hair out even more than Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels?

SuperTrainStationH:

Strazdas:

Yes, because people who like and buy different video games and systems than the ones you like must be stupid, right?

No, people buying stupid gimmics must be stupid. I dont go raging about people playing, say, call of duty (to pick a popular example). but i do rage when they are trying to tell me that "wii mote is the only way to play now".

Strazdas:

SuperTrainStationH:

Strazdas:

No, people buying stupid gimmics must be stupid. I dont go raging about people playing, say, call of duty (to pick a popular example). but i do rage when they are trying to tell me that "wii mote is the only way to play now".

Your opinion that new technologies introduced to games are just "stupid gimmicks" is only your opinion.

The world isn't stupid for disagreeing with you and buying into something they find attractive just because you personally don't like a game or system.

SuperTrainStationH:

Strazdas:

SuperTrainStationH:

Your opinion that new technologies introduced to games are just "stupid gimmicks" is only your opinion.

The world isn't stupid for disagreeing with you and buying into something they find attractive just because you personally don't like a game or system.

Neither 3D nor motion sensors are new technologies in gaming. They are stupid gimmics that never worked well. Infact 3d has been deemed useless 3 times already, this is the 4th generation.
And yes, yes it is.

Strazdas:

SuperTrainStationH:

Strazdas:

Neither 3D nor motion sensors are new technologies in gaming. They are stupid gimmics that never worked well. Infact 3d has been deemed useless 3 times already, this is the 4th generation.
And yes, yes it is.

3D and motion control were never standard features in dedicated game platforms until Nintendo employed them in their systems. Before Nintendo these existed only in failed niche systems that didn't apply them correctly or didn't have the games to get people interested, or cost hundreds of dollars extra in addition to the system that only a handful of games used.

Additionally, repeatedly stating your opinion that 3D is "stupid and useless" won't magically make it an objective fact, especially in the case of the 3DS where so many people who have used the system will attest to the exact opposite.

Also, try spelling "gimmicks" correctly instead of consistently spelling it wrong before you call other people stupid for daring to like games and systems you think they shouldn't.

SuperTrainStationH:

Strazdas:

SuperTrainStationH:

And yes, yes it is.

3D and motion control were never standard features in dedicated game platforms until Nintendo employed them in their systems. Before Nintendo these existed only in failed niche systems that didn't apply them correctly or didn't have the games to get people interested, or cost hundreds of dollars extra in addition to the system that only a handful of games used.

Additionally, repeatedly stating your opinion that 3D is "stupid and useless" won't magically make it an objective fact, especially in the case of the 3DS where so many people who have used the system will attest to the exact opposite.

Also, try spelling "gimmicks" correctly instead of consistently spelling of wrong before you call other people stupid for daring to like game and systems you think they shouldn't.

The 3D on the 3DS is useless.

- You have to hold it a certain way to see the 3D effect
- It drains the battery which is pretty poor in the first place
- It can cause headaches, especially if you aren't holding it right.

Most people probably turn the 3D for a few seconds here and there. It's not an important feature. Nintendo misread the market, 3D is not highly sought after. Hopefully that extra power can be used to create improved graphics instead of 3D.

Motion controls had their chance and people would still prefer to use a traditional controller.

masticina:
Nintendo trying to go hardcore *snerk*

What leaving your old fans in dust baiting them and giving them one mario or a remake of a Zelda game once a year wasn't enough?

You walked with the "casual" you loved the soccer moms money. You didn't care at all about software quality and gave us Ninja Bread Man and allot of themed mini games compilations.

And now you want the old fans back?

You made your bed now you sleep in it!

We get one, maybe 2 Zelda games per console, stop lying. Mario Party, COD, and Madden are the only games I can think of that seem to come out on a yearly basis.

80Maxwell08:

Worgen:
Well if the WiiU fails then the last real console will be dead, since its rather likely that both the next 360 and ps3 will have all sorts of weird controls in them, either to kill the used market or to mostly be digital.

Honestly if Microsoft or Sony are actually arrogant to try locking out used games in their next console I'll immediately move to the WiiU. I'm not going to buy from a company who is trying to take away my right to actually own anything.

We of the PC gaming master race are very welcoming.

Frostbite3789:

80Maxwell08:

Worgen:
Well if the WiiU fails then the last real console will be dead, since its rather likely that both the next 360 and ps3 will have all sorts of weird controls in them, either to kill the used market or to mostly be digital.

Honestly if Microsoft or Sony are actually arrogant to try locking out used games in their next console I'll immediately move to the WiiU. I'm not going to buy from a company who is trying to take away my right to actually own anything.

We of the PC gaming master race are very welcoming.

Well I already own a $1800 PC that I got for graduation so I understand that.

SuperTrainStationH:

Strazdas:
snip

Also, try spelling "gimmicks" correctly instead of consistently spelling it wrong before you call other people stupid for daring to like games and systems you think they shouldn't.

They were featured in many systems. Gaming is a new business to begin with, they were used many times in, say, movie industry. point is, it never worked, and it still doesnt work. I dont need to magically make something a fact when it already is. In the casse of 3DS msot users attest that the 3D function on it is hardly useful at all.
It seems you have ran out of arguments if your picking on grammar now. Not everyone is born into an english speaking country you know.

80Maxwell08:

Well I already own a $1800 PC that I got for graduation so I understand that.

Who was so stupid to waste 1800 on a PC. I mean, you can get almost top-shop for 1000 nowadays.

Strazdas:

SuperTrainStationH:

Strazdas:
snip

They were featured in many systems. Gaming is a new business to begin with, they were used many times in, say, movie industry. point is, it never worked, and it still doesnt work. I dont need to magically make something a fact when it already is. In the casse of 3DS msot users attest that the 3D function on it is hardly useful at all.
It seems you have ran out of arguments if your picking on grammar now. Not everyone is born into an english speaking country you know.

I'm not going to "debate" your position in which you seem to treat certain negative observations and opinions of the 3DS as factual and positive observations and opinions about 3DS as "just opinions".

There's no point in us going:

YOU: 3d sucks!
ME: no it doesn't!

endlessly.

Then they will have to start with an even more impossible feat: Getting third party game developers on board.

Developers who don't make shovelware.

Sleekit:

Microsoft is an "also ran".

you might not agree but it could very well be out of the game come the end of the next console generation.

the fact it supposedly sold almost as many consoles as the PS3 matters very little when every single one of them has been sold at a loss...

It evens out more between the two when you realize that Sony loses a LOT more money per PS3 than Microsoft ever did. To the point where they went back on their word for cell-processing and the Linux platform.

To illustrate that fear:
The US Air Force used PS3s as a cost-effective cell-supercomputer, and Sony was terrified at the success of it because they took a loss on each one of those PS3.

Each PS3 that could NEVER make the money back in licensing fees and game sales.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here