Frictional Rolls Out Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2

My concern is that TheChineseRoom tends to make games whose stories make fuck-all sense. That's fine if you're into that sort of thing, and I can handle some ambiguity, but when the story can be interpreted in an infinite number of ways, it might as well not be there.

Of course, the biggest stumbling block is that I have no computer with which to run this game.

Zakarath:
Eh... Gotta say, not entirely sure it'll be as good as the first. I'm a little doubtful of TheChineseRoom; and that trailer just didn't do it for me like Amnesia:TDD's did, and that one was just striaght gameplay footage. When I saw that trailer, I knew that game would be fucking scary. This one, not so much.

Did you read the video description? They explain what's going on. Apparently they had decided to make a little presentation for this game should the Humble Indie Bundle 5 sell well enough, but it blew way above the bar they'd set before they could get a proper presentation together. So this is just a glimpse at some environments, not exactly a proper trailer.

SayHelloToMrBullet:
Why is there so much hate for the trailer? I think it does a good job as a teaser.

You know, internet tuff guys being all "DIS IS NOT SCARY. I AINT AFRAID OF NOTHING. HORROR GAMES DON'T EXIST BECUZ I AINT AFRAID O NOTHIN" and all that........

The Chinese Room is amazing for this. Amnesia doesn't have much gameplay to begin with first of all, but that's besides the point. What makes horror scary? Atmosphere, ambiance, setting, etc......and what does The Chinese Room do really good as shown by Dear Esther? Its the perfect crew for it in my opinion. Story telling should even be better than the first hopefully.

Its an indie dev, showing a teaser. Hell, most teasers by triple A games are just logos or pre-rendered shit that doesn't relate to the game, so I would say this is pretty good for a teaser.

Also. Pig demons. Mutherf-ing pig demons.

WouldYouKindly:

And yet here I am, capable of running (albeit barely) The Witcher 2 on my laptop. It also 'only cost me' about 650 dollars.

And the "I have too much money" award goes to...

OT: I'm hoping this will live up to expectations, but I find the concept of a humanoid pig enemy ridiculous - perhaps I played too much Duke Nukem.

Awesome, it's on!

i maybe wait until its on special. amnesia dint scare me one bit but it was an ok game. so i highly doubt this one will scare me either.

Iron Criterion:

WouldYouKindly:

And yet here I am, capable of running (albeit barely) The Witcher 2 on my laptop. It also 'only cost me' about 650 dollars.

And the "I have too much money" award goes to...

OT: I'm hoping this will live up to expectations, but I find the concept of a humanoid pig enemy ridiculous - perhaps I played too much Duke Nukem.

You realize it's practically impossible to get a real gaming laptop for under 1000 dollars. For what I paid, I got a very capable system, albeit not half as capable as a real gaming laptop.

Also I included the tax. It was originally only about 600, which is not much for a dual core, 4GB ram, 512MB graphics card laptop from two years ago. Also, that's back when I had money. Spend it when you got it, you know.

If the humanoid pigs are anything like Piggsy from Manhunt 2 ... then I'll be scared. Properly. :o

"Oh yea, Amnesia....F@&# that game!"
-Many many Amnesia Fans

The only game I've squee'd for since the announcement.

Waiting to see how people react while filming themselves playing this.

Andy Chalk:
Frictional Rolls Out Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Trailer

The first look at the new Amnesia game is not a pleasant one.

Revealed back in February, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is the follow-up to the dreadful, harrowing Amnesia: The Dark Descent. A Machine For Pigs isn't a direct sequel - it's set 60 years after Dark Descent in Victorian London, with an entirely new cast of characters - nor is it being created by Frictional Games, the studio responsible for the original. Instead, Frictional is "producing" the game, while development is being handled by thechineseroom of Dear Esther fame.

In spite of that hand-off, the brief snippet of gameplay on display in this trailer

Sorry Andy. You are wrong. This isn't trailer, it's a teaser. I'm sure the people working here will eventually get the distinction.

I don't like being teased with the hope of seeing a trailer...

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Seriously tho, all the love/attention/hype/coverage that this title can get, I'm a fan of.

Thanks for keeping the dream alive!

Now I'll wait for the nightmares.

On a side note: Fuck Dear Ester. I would prefer all story vs gameplay, but Esther had neither. It just looked pretty and had narration. Pointless art f... fa.... FA....

Trollop wanting presented in hyperbole shine. Or something...

I feel bad for saying this, but I kinda want the graphics updated a bit.. It goes back to what Jim Stirling said about how cartoony games don't date but photo-realistic games will look laughable in a generations time.. Sigh, perhaps I'm not the indie loving computer gamer I though I was...

DVS BSTrD:
I hope the player character doesn't spend the whole game panting like that or it'll really start to rind my ears.

It was always the "Teeth Grinding" for me. It took me 3 hours to figure out that it wasn't a problem with my speakers.

I am genuinely wanting to play this, unlike with practically all the games at E3 (though Assassin's Creed 3 and New Super Mario Bros U pique my interest).

Don Savik:

SayHelloToMrBullet:
Why is there so much hate for the trailer? I think it does a good job as a teaser.

You know, internet tuff guys being all "DIS IS NOT SCARY. I AINT AFRAID OF NOTHING. HORROR GAMES DON'T EXIST BECUZ I AINT AFRAID O NOTHIN" and all that.

Well, I find that the trailer made the prospect of this game less scary for me, but not for the trailer itself, but... Well, I suppose I was expecting something different. I mean, seeing city streets? A cozy fireplace? Pig monsters?
The title was so potent to me because it conjured up such vivid memories of past nightmares; the implication that man would be subjected to this "machine for pigs," with the entire game environment belittling the player to that brutal, sub-human state of a pseudo-Victorian slaughterhouse...

I dunno, I guess I find horror that stays in one main location to be more potent and effective, at least if done well. And then pig demons? The potentially horrifying theme of "Protagonist as livestock to be slaughtered" seems a little less potent when you're being that literal.

I mean, not to insult it as I'm sure it will be a decent horror experience, and I'll admit that I'm a bit relieved that it isn't going to be like someone snatched up my bad dreams and made a game out of it, but I feel like something potentially terrible and absolute was lost in these choices, you know?

Whee! Another Amnesia game that does its job so well I won't play more than 40 minutes of it.

Best. Birthday. Ever.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or