Full PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Cast Revealed

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Sony, you are going to lose quite a few buyers with this roster.

You lost the moment you did not include Crash and Spyro.

If it's called "playstation" all stars shouldn't they also have Playstation 1/2 exclusive game characters?:

Shin Megami Tensei: DemiFiend, Raidou Kuzanhoa, Yu, The Blue Haired Boy, Serph.

Final Fantasy 7 - 12: Cloud, Aerith, Squall, Edea, Zidane, Vivi, Auron, Balthier (maybe too close to Dissidia though...)

Suikoden 1 - 5: Tir, Riou, Luc, Lazlo, Jeane, Viki, Frey

Ico + SotC: Ico, Wander

Dark Cloud and Chronicle: Toan, Max, Monica

Maximo: Maximo, Death

Probably others....

Hmmm, well I'm not all that excited about this, in general every attempt to try and emulate "Smash Brothers" has kind of failed as far as I've seen. The big example I can think of is that Cartoon Network "Punch Time Explosion" thing they released which I guess some people had high hopes for, but actually blew chips.

I think the whole "Smash" subgenere of fighters is something that companies should stay away from, I will hopefully be wrong, but I can't see this ending well for Sony. Any way it goes, as much as I like fighters, I'm going to very much be taking a "wait and see" attitude.

I also find it kind of amusing to see people complaining about a lack of female characters. WTF did people expect given the complaints over the "Battle Nuns" trailer for "Hitman" or the nature of the complaints about a certain Tomb Raider trailer. With people screaming about violence against women, is it any surprise that nobody wants to say put many characters like Lara Croft, Lightning, or other characters into a fighting game where they are going to get pounded?

That might not have factored into the final roster (where women are present, but in low numbers) but it wouldn't surprise me. In Lara's case I wouldn't be surprised if she got cut due to the reaction to a certain trailer.

In short, I wouldn't be surprised if recent "Women against Tropes" and feminist gaming arguements and discussions have actually managed to start the gaming industry regressing, every bit of progress the industry has made since "Final Fight" being undone.

If your wondering why I mention "Final Fight" I'm referring to how they decided the female characters in the US release of the game were transvestites because it was too contreversial for a US audience for guys to actually be seen pounding the crap out of girls (no matter how violent or dangerous). This leading to a lot of contreversy over the gender of "Poison" due to contridictions in the character's various incarnations in spin offs. Over time we got to the point where noone had any problems with girls coming out to punch it out, win or lose, with the guys, it's all in good fun and pure fantasy, and characters like "Poison" and the mess of what her actual gender is have become hot topics of video game speculation (if your curious the wikipedia page for Poison DOES put it to rest, the creator says that the US version of Poison is a post-op transexual for example).

So basically due to all the bellyaching about Agent 47 taking down a group of (heavily armed and well trained) female mercenaries dressed as nuns, I wouldn't be surprised if games that in any way allow you to emulate this in any context are on their way out. After all it's not that far removed from say Zangief beating Cammy or Chun Li into the pavement, or whatever fighting game analogy you care to use (note, the women Agent 47 took out were NOT defenseless victims, and would have probably tore apart anyone who wasn't a genetically modified super-assasin with a bar code on the back of his head).

In short for the few making the point about the lack of women on the roster, you should be screaming praises to the heavens that a company like Sony has put any into this game at all given recent events. After all the clear message is that since guys can't fight girls or do bad things to them in the media, that women need to be locked away, sheltered, and protected, as opposed to you know... picking up guns or combat skills and trying to use them (or is it that if a girl becomes a professional killer your morally obligated to let her go on murder sprees... I get confused here at times),

no demi fiend from shin megami tensei? How disappointing but otherwise a pretty good roster

Hmm I'm interested, but I'll probably wait a few months for a good bundle pack before I spring for it. Though what bugs the crap out of me is, are the two Coles going to be like fox/falco? Because if they are going to whore Snake and Crash out as DLC but have a pair of clones in the initial game, that is at least a little offensive.

SIR DANIEL FORTESQUE!!!

<--------

SOLD!!!

I dont see how Big Daddy fits there seeing as he's third party and Bioshock was made for PC first

Seems like a piss poor list that's to say the least reaching for characters. Not too sure what to think about this SSB ripoff. I suppose it could be good but something tells me it's going to be meh.

I just scratch my head, this seems like such a random grab-bag of mismatched oddity.

Maybe it's because I've never played any of the inFamous games, but won't Cole MacGrath and Evil Cole MacGrath play almost identically?

Well, there are are I'm happy to see (Cole, Jak & Daxter, Kratos), some I'm surprised to see (Nariko, Spike) and others I'm disappointed not to see (Ratchet & Clank, Crash) I think I may pick this up. It could be a fun party game to play with my friends. Besides, I know there are plenty of you who want to beat up Nathan Drake. So, now's your chance. And you have such brutal options. Evil Cole, Kratos, and Nariko, for example.

Okay, I might be sold of this game. At least, maybe after a price drop? Trying to decide if it's worth full price, now.

Mr.PlanetEater:
Maybe it's because I've never played any of the inFamous games, but won't Cole MacGrath and Evil Cole MacGrath play almost identically?

Pretty much. Although since they're using Cole from InFamous 2, Evil Cole will have additional fire powers, while Cole will have ice powers. Along with the differences from the first game, where good cole focused on take downs and single target attacks, and evil cole focused on wide-targets and outright damage.

Still not enough justification for adding both though.

And I'm glad that even though they didn't add Crash Bandicoot (for obvious legal reasons that people just don't seem to understand) they atleast added Jak and Daxter, who are pretty much "Crash with guns"

I guess it's sort of appropriate that in comparison to Smash Bros. they have way less 1st party characters and more 3rd party characters, but am I the only one who thinks this game is coming out a generation too late?

Cid SilverWing:
Please... PLEASE...

Stop making these mash-up games...

Petition signed and signed.

It's going to be hard enough to recreate the lightning in a bottle that Smash had, let alone do it with a tag-sale'esque roster like this.

" la recherche du temps perdu," I wish I was educated enough to know what that story has to do with "Jak and Daxter."

NOOOOOO What about the dud from "Prototype"/"Prototype 2"?

I want to see "InFamous VS Prototype"!!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

crimson sickle2:
" la recherche du temps perdu," I wish I was educated enough to know what that story has to do with "Jak and Daxter."

I can't believe it took 4 pages for someone to comment on that part. I too, have no idea what Jak & Daxter has to do with Proust.

Anyone?

You know what, I'm much more satisfied with the lineup now that you have Dante, Sir Daniel Fortesque, and Raiden.

Gameplay wise, I tried it out at a Gamestop. It kind of sucks. You mash away at each other with regular attacks that feel a lot more forced than in SSB (the only exception in the demo being Kratos, which actually felt like you were playing 2D God of War) to build up your super bar to insta-kill the other people, which is also incidentally the only way to get kills, and isn't even satisfying. They just disappear as if they got beamed onto the Enterprise or something, no explosions, no camera rumble, not even a little slow-mo.

I can not stop laughing at the fact that Nintendo got Snake and Sony got Raiden. It seems so fitting to how this whole game is going to turn out.

I feel so bad for pre-ordering this...

I love SSB, and I'm wondering why I'm not more interested in this and I think I have it. They're trying for a cutesy SSB style brawler with dark and gritty characters. This would be a cool roster for a Mortal Kombat Rip off, or possibly a Marvel vs Capcom Rip off, but not Smash Brothers. The characters just look too similar at that size. The Nintendo roster was full of characters that were visually distinct.

I'll save my money for Fighting is Magic.

roster is lacking but really given what I've been able to play of the game at shows and such, I'm not really liking how the only way to take out an enemy is with a special move, you can combo somebody for hours and never kill them and when it comes down to it the whole special move kills got old and tedious. I used Nariko and Raiden when I played it an after I saw all 3 levels of their special I didn't want to play anymore so I don't have much hope for this game :( and where the hell is Lightning and Lara Croft?

So whens the chance to try it? Cause I ain't playing this without trying it first. And Sony seems to be extremly stingy with the beta codes.

Funny how whenever I get slighty interessed in the PS3 due the fond memories I have of the PS1 & PS3, they throw something in my face to remind me that it's ain't worth it. This roster...yeah, no thanks. I'll stick to super smash brothers then, thank you very much.

Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper... oh dear...

Also, Sir Daniel Fortesque, holy crap!

ZehMadScientist:
Spyro.

All that needs to be said.

GenGenners:

linkblade91:
The fact that Spyro and Crash are owned by Activision makes me sad...

And I hope Good Cole/Evil Cole have different enough playstyles, otherwise you could of used that 20th spot on someone else. I loved both Infamous games, but having two of him is weird. You could of had Cole as one person, Zelda/Shiek -style, and then have #20 be Kuo ;)

They also could've followed what they were doing with "the big three" (Ratchet, Jak, Sly), and included each of their respective developers' next projects. You have Sucker Punch's Infamous, Naughty Dog's Uncharted, but no love for Insomniac's Resistance? We could have played as a Chimera, but you blew it Sony :P

...that also would have solved your #20 problem...just saying...

Yeah, there was a Blog post about the two Cole's a while back when the second Cole was announced. They showed gameplay footage and...........yeah, Good Cole is Good Cole, but Evil Cole plays like fucking Satan. Trust me, they're different.

I'm still dissapointed that evil Cole still lacks his vampire powers. Would it have been that big a balance issue to let him just suck peoples blood and stake people?

I'm just happy Cole and Jak are there. :D

Gotta say I'm satisfied with this roster. Being a competitive fighting gamer, I'd rather have a smaller cast. Why? Because that means the developers spent more time on each character, increasing the chance for character balance.

Plus, you have to think that this is the first game in the series. It's pretty unfair to compare this to Brawl, which is the third in the Smash series. Superbot is a brand new team. Teams need to figure out their process in addition to making a game.

All things considered, however, I don't believe this completely. I'm thinking this means 20 characters a the start of the game with more to unlock/download/etc.

Foolproof:

GenGenners:

linkblade91:
The fact that Spyro and Crash are owned by Activision makes me sad...

And I hope Good Cole/Evil Cole have different enough playstyles, otherwise you could of used that 20th spot on someone else. I loved both Infamous games, but having two of him is weird. You could of had Cole as one person, Zelda/Shiek -style, and then have #20 be Kuo ;)

They also could've followed what they were doing with "the big three" (Ratchet, Jak, Sly), and included each of their respective developers' next projects. You have Sucker Punch's Infamous, Naughty Dog's Uncharted, but no love for Insomniac's Resistance? We could have played as a Chimera, but you blew it Sony :P

...that also would have solved your #20 problem...just saying...

Yeah, there was a Blog post about the two Cole's a while back when the second Cole was announced. They showed gameplay footage and...........yeah, Good Cole is Good Cole, but Evil Cole plays like fucking Satan. Trust me, they're different.

I'm still dissapointed that evil Cole still lacks his vampire powers. Would it have been that big a balance issue to let him just suck peoples blood and stake people?

You probably couldn't realistically fit those 2 moves into the combat system. They're quite small, subtle moves.
Cole: "STOP THE MATCH FOR 5 SECONDS! Just gotta drink this guy's blood!"

GenGenners:

Foolproof:

GenGenners:

You probably couldn't realistically fit those 2 moves into the combat system. They're quite small, subtle moves.
Cole: "STOP THE MATCH FOR 5 SECONDS! Just gotta drink this guy's blood!"

True. Its sorta like people asking for Abe. I mean, what the hell could he do?

erttheking:
...anyone want to tell them that Bioshock isn't a playstation exclusive?

actually started as a Xbox exclusive then was ported

This is a whole lot better than when I thought the cast list was only six characters.

so 3rd party and PlayStation all stars
half expected master chief to be there for sh**s and giggles

A Sony get-together game with only a handful of Playstation characters. Nintendo is laughing their asses off.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here