Eurogamer Expo Bans Booth Babes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Andy Chalk:

Grenge Di Origin:
Do I need to point out the absurdity of comparing booth babes to cosplayers on the sole comparison that they're scantily-clad? Have you even been to a gaming expo and how degrading it is to know the very existence and reason of booth babes, Chalk? Are you really saying it's all right for an issue in the industry that has been legitimately scrutinized by the media, just because you have cosplayers who devote their time towards their love for video game characters?

I'm saying it's massively hypocritical to ban one type of scantily-clad female but not another, based solely on their motivations for being at the show.

And I say it's a great excuse. Booth babes are hired. This means that they were paid, and that means that someone thought they were an investment worthy of their money, and for what? What is the objective of booth babes? What's the reason, what's the point? And that reason is why I'm glad they got banned, even if their ban wasn't based on the reason.

I'm glad I'm a hermit. None of these petty concerns bother me. Please, don't sweat the little stuff

scw55:
snip

Allright now im getting more where you're coming from and can understand your views better.

And guess we will have to agree to disagree, as you find skimpy clothing and the use of good looking models to be shocking and exploitative of the public. I dont (find them shocking or exploitative) simply because im desensitized to them and my experiences and friend circles have mostly reacted positively or neutral towards these topics rather then negatively and makes me view these matters in a very different light to you (especially concerning the models themselves, since again, i have friends in that businss, so obviously feel need to counter the view that they are hookers brainwashing the public with their boobs).

Both our personal experiences shaped our beliefs and im sure we would be able to exchange tons of personal anecdotes to support our respective beliefs. Irl i think this would have led to an interesting conversation (on forum it will make massive amounts of tldr so not as attractive to do it here), but as it stands we will have to agree to disagree and hopefully consider what the other has said to understand an opposing point of view if nothing else.

As for why you are contributing to this quagmire, only ye can answer that truthfully, but since you answered me fairly honestly i did in kind to you and hopefully this conversation wont leave a bad aftertaste and youll view our exchange as positive.

NightowlM:

Tenmar:
So, let's get this straight.

We will not allow men and women who aspire in their career to be models and building their portfolio and help earn a living and develop a career. Also, apparently due to how risky these models dress and given the demographic we must have it remain child friendly because someone must think of the children.

Yep it's official, the video game industry now has a religious right enforcing their morality.

Oh all the overblown, overly dramatic hyperbole. You have got to be kidding me. You can twist words any way you want to here and in all your other posts, but you're defending companies that use scantily clad women who have nothing to do with the video game industry to try to sell their products. And in this instance, women with bar codes printed on their asses, which is basically screaming "women are objects" whose sexuality can be reduced to selling products.

And you're not pulling overblown overly dramatic hyperbole right?

Seriously...

This is not an issue.

We need to get past the puritan mindset that sex is evil, will corrupt our children, and ruin marriages, and enslave women. (despite the fact that some men, though to a lesser degree, get into the EXACT same fucking position, but then again, PATRIARCHY!11) FFS.

Fun fact: Lincoln almost committed suicide, because when a girl kissed him, he thought he got her pregnant.

Despite being seriously dramatic, it's absolutely true. Check out his diaries.

While you don't need booth babes to teach sex and all that, the way we keep demonizing sex in general, similar situations crop up...

Andy Chalk:
I have a problem with an artificial distinction being made to mollify people who get nervous around pretty girls.

Well played. I especially like the part where you use "people" instead of "virgins" and "pretty girls" instead of "bimbos being paid to cheapen any cultural identity video games might have once had."

Frankster:

scw55:
snip

Weird my inbox didnt alert me to this, almost missed to reply this.

Mmm, you clearly have your loaded generalizations and am guessing we have had VERY different life experiences for our conclusions to be so different but disagree with you on just about every level.
Its equality all right, you have buff girls for guys to drool over if they wish and you have buff guys for the girls to drool over.
Objectifying men and women isnt bad, its NORMAL when it comes to sexually attractive peeps of the opposite gender, and certainly not something to feel guilty about.
Having both be objectified does not solve which problem? Im guessing you mean the wider context of gender relations and equality in which case no it definitly wont solve it, but its a step in the right direction in my personal experience .

As for your last comment, funny thing is despite my stance, id likely be the person most unfazed by a pretty booth girl, precisely for the reason that sexuality isnt that big of a deal to me, and this relates to my aforementioned life experience that is clearly very different to you xD
Basically tldr is my dad was a player and was surrounded by sexy women since i was born+lived an extensive period in france where open and free sexuality was the norm and led to very relaxed relations between the 2 genders and also way more openess and honesty. Will spare you the raunchier anecdotes but suffice to say, in france its common to have billboards showing the naked form of BOTH genders, litterally have an attractive ass as advert for a pharmacy product.
In plain street, with all the kids, i might add. And because its so routine and normal, it barely raises a reaction. Adding to this that most of my friends were female and some became models (one even had stints at gaming expo), hope you can start to see how ive come to my views without going "loool you just wanna see boobs", because frankly, ive seen enough boobs that i can control myself better then most ;)
Open and free sexuality does promote equality, much more then equally enforced puritanism, and furthermore thats just plain unhealthy and rather lame tbh.

Um. You know that sexual objectification is not the same as plain old sexualization, right? If not, here's a definition: https://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/faq-what-is-sexual-objectification/

I don't know what the fuck you're getting at with the life experience stuff. You don't know me. You don't know what my fucking life experiences are. And the suggestion that I'm a puritan because I object to sexual objectification in advertising is insulting. And since you have all these presumptions here, here's another one: I'm probably more liberal in my sexuality than most people (including you). But that doesn't mean that I think objectification is okay.

Mick Golden Blood:

NightowlM:

Tenmar:

We will not allow men and women who aspire in their career to be models and building their portfolio and help earn a living and develop a career. Also, apparently due to how risky these models dress and given the demographic we must have it remain child friendly because someone must think of the children.

Yep it's official, the video game industry now has a religious right enforcing their morality.

Oh all the overblown, overly dramatic hyperbole. You have got to be kidding me. You can twist words any way you want to here and in all your other posts, but you're defending companies that use scantily clad women who have nothing to do with the video game industry to try to sell their products. And in this instance, women with bar codes printed on their asses, which is basically screaming "women are objects" whose sexuality can be reduced to selling products.

And you're not pulling overblown overly dramatic hyperbole right?

Seriously...

This is not an issue.

We need to get past the puritan mindset that sex is evil, will corrupt our children, and ruin marriages, and enslave women. (despite the fact that some men, though to a lesser degree, get into the EXACT same fucking position, but then again, PATRIARCHY!11) FFS.

Fun fact: Lincoln almost committed suicide, because when a girl kissed him, he thought he got her pregnant.

Despite being seriously dramatic, it's absolutely true. Check out his diaries.

While you don't need booth babes to teach sex and all that, the way we keep demonizing sex in general, similar situations crop up...

What the fuck is up with people equating feminism with a "puritan mindset." They call it "women's lib" for a reason. And yes, all movements have their reactionary sets, but being concerned about sexism is not fucking puritanism. As far as the "sex is evil" stereotype about feminists, I've probably done freakier shit than you'll ever do.

All that stuff about Lincoln: yes, back then the culture was very very puritanical. But I have no idea how that even approaches anything relevant to this discussion.

What a bunch of nonsense, I haven't seen many booth babes, but the ones I have come across seem fine. They are not showing anything that you wouldn't see at a beach.

Andy Chalk:

So you want to base what these women are allowed to do entirely upon their motivations for doing it? That's quite a position to argue from, and again, entirely arbitrary.

Yes, that is exactly what i'm saying. Arbitrary? perhaps, but then so is the legal age of adulthood. It doesn't mean you shouldn't draw the line somewhere. I also fail to see how Cosplayers HAVE to dress scantly. You can cosplay without showing off 80% of your body.

Dress codes are fine, as long as they're universal. No booth babes, no cosplayers. I have no problem with that. I have a problem with an artificial distinction being made to mollify people who get nervous around pretty girls.

Again, nobody is saying you have to dress like you're working the corner of the mushroom kingdom when cosplaying. The two aren't comparable.

Edit: Afterthought, how about booth babes can still be a thing but they have to dress more conservatively and they need to dress as characters from the given game.

NightowlM:

Um. You know that sexual objectification is not the same as plain old sexualization, right? If not, here's a definition: https://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/faq-what-is-sexual-objectification/

I don't know what the fuck you're getting at with the life experience stuff. You don't know me. You don't know what my fucking life experiences are. And the suggestion that I'm a puritan because I object to sexual objectification in advertising is insulting. And since you have all these presumptions here, here's another one: I'm probably more liberal in my sexuality than most people (including you). But that doesn't mean that I think objectification is okay.

I honestly thought you misquoted me and were answering someone else.

Started by looking at the definition, didnt get what you meant by linking it to me. I AM defending sexual objectification if that wasnt clear, with the right of " viewing of people solely as de-personalised objects of desire instead of as individuals with complex personalities and desires/plans of their own".
When i go to glastonbury or w/e and see gogo dancers, i aint gonna be thinking of dancers aspirations for sure. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Since you dont know "what the fuck" im getting about with life experience (this was the only part that seemed adressed to me), im using that as a term to sum up the experiences and unique events that might have shaped our perspectives on the matter (this includes everything from culture to personality influenced outlooks and where we lived and groups of friends we had), I am finding that viewing people as having different outlooks due to having lived a different life to you rather then "im right, other guys wrong" tends to be more fruitful for a good debate especially in debates like this, which was the big lesson i learnt from france and what i was trying to convey, it shaped my beliefs on the topic.

Now heres where your response made me o0 and made me reread to checkthat you were responding to me. I dont indeed know you, i havent implied otherwise beyond judging the comments you made (its all i have to work with atm). I NEVER suggested you were a puritan, such a thought honestly never occured to me and your overreaction and being "insulted"+link to feminism blogs and emotional tone means i cant help but draw some negative conclusions about you even if they are likely very erroneous (all i have to work with is what you tell me after all).

Otherwise please dont feel im challenging your sexuality or deviancy in any way, im sure you are the kinkiest guy in this thread and do all sorts of crazy things, but putting aside our sexual exploits, i DO believe that objectification is ok.
I dont know where this conversation will go from here but if you do want this to continue, id ask you try and understand what im getting at rather then do whatever it is your doing. I tend to match the tone of the people im talking with ;)

So instead of hiring booth babes, it's the actual staff of the companies that will have to dress up as booth babes, isn't it ? :)

Frankster:

NightowlM:

I honestly thought you misquoted me and were answering someone else.

Started by looking at the definition, didnt get what you meant by linking it to me. I AM defending sexual objectification if that wasnt clear, with the right of " viewing of people solely as de-personalised objects of desire instead of as individuals with complex personalities and desires/plans of their own".
When i go to glastonbury or w/e and see gogo dancers, i aint gonna be thinking of dancers aspirations for sure. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Since you dont know "what the fuck" im getting about with life experience (this was the only part that seemed adressed to me), im using that as a term to sum up the experiences and unique events that might have shaped our perspectives on the matter (this includes everything from culture to personality influenced outlooks and where we lived and groups of friends we had), I am finding that viewing people as having different outlooks due to having lived a different life to you rather then "im right, other guys wrong" tends to be more fruitful for a good debate especially in debates like this, which was the big lesson i learnt from france and what i was trying to convey, it shaped my beliefs on the topic.

Now heres where your response made me o0 and made me reread to checkthat you were responding to me. I dont indeed know you, i havent implied otherwise beyond judging the comments you made (its all i have to work with atm). I NEVER suggested you were a puritan, such a thought honestly never occured to me and your overreaction and being "insulted"+link to feminism blogs and emotional tone means i cant help but draw some negative conclusions about you even if they are likely very erroneous (all i have to work with is what you tell me after all).

Otherwise please dont feel im challenging your sexuality or deviancy in any way, im sure you are the kinkiest guy in this thread and do all sorts of crazy things, but putting aside our sexual exploits, i DO believe that objectification is ok.
I dont know where this conversation will go from here but if you do want this to continue, id ask you try and understand what im getting at rather then do whatever it is your doing. I tend to match the tone of the people im talking with ;)

Not a guy.

I figured that you were talking about sexualization rather than outright sexual objectification because those two terms seem to be confused a lot in this topic. Hence linking to a definition of sexual objectification to differentiate it from just sexualizing people.

This is the part where I thought you were judging me a sexual puritan. "...precisely for the reason that sexuality isnt that big of a deal to me, and this relates to my aforementioned life experience that is clearly very different to you." You said that sexuality wasn't a big deal to you and then went on to talk about your upbringing. But you said that my life experience was clearly very different from yours. So if you're completely cool with sexuality and my life experience was clearly different from yours, then I assumed that you were saying that I must have had a sexually sheltered life that was the complete opposite of yours. I might have read too much into things, but it seemed like you were heavily implying that I was the stereotypical "puritan feminist."

NightowlM:
snip

Oh i can see how you might have misinterpreted that, i could have worded it a lot better :/
I meant it more as in experience in france desensitized me to seeing people going around half naked and sex used in advertising, which in turn shaped my views as they are now. Im assuming your upbringing was different (not implying better/worst/kinkier) which in turn led to your views.
It all sounds kinda obvious but intention with my tldr was to hopefully make you see how one could reach an opposing point of view to yours, and not fall under the generalizations you quoted me with initially.
Rest assured if i wanted to keep the booth babes for the TnA i would have no shame to say as much.

Actually hang on what am i saying, i DO want to keep the booth babes for the TnA,going back on topic i just dont see it fair that guys (and lesbians i guess) get to have most of the TnA and women get little of their own. Anyhows glad we cleared up the misunderstanding and remained civil And definitly dont think of you as a puritan feminist, heck i thought you were a guy as you can tell xP

NightowlM:
As far as the "sex is evil" stereotype about feminists, I've probably done freakier shit than you'll ever do.

But did you ask every person you did this with about their life's ambitions and their driving force in life?

I mean, have you ever had casual sex with someone you were not emotionally invested in? If not then it sounds like you're objectifying people too and it sounds like you didn't have a problem with it at the time.

If not, do you have a problem with casual sex?

I'm not trying to insult you in any way, but I'm a bit bemused by someone firstly saying that sexual objectification is wrong and then later on getting into a competition of who's had the most/weirder sex. I've never quite seen that combination before.

When they did a similar thing in China everyone here called the Chinese backwards.
When they do it in Europe it's a good thing and a progression towards a more mature industry.

Riiight.

You bunch of hypocrites.

Personally, I don't think booth babes need to be banned except when they are becoming overly sexualised. The way it was going, they'd have naked girls grinding against a guy in a Sonic Costume. Well, that's about the only way Sega could distract from the fact that their new Sonic games suck.

crazyarms33:
My take on this is rather simple: If a company makes a solid product, how about they market the PRODUCT itself. If the product is good enough for me to consider buying on its own merit, then adding an attractive woman won't make me want to buy it any more or any less. Whereas if it is a crappy product, then all I will remember about the product is, "Man, that product SUCKED! But at least there was a pretty lady there to ease my pain." In no way would it sway me to buy said product.

You misunderstand the whole basis of advertising. It all works subliminally. YOU don't get a choice.

I support this move. Around about time we remove some of this silly spectacle from the convention scene. Frankly, i've always found it a little pandering in an industry that has nothing to do with sex, we try to sell computer games with sex.

Virgins newest act was just tastless & tacky. But because no con would ever think to put a stop to booth babes, companies have done what they liked. Its round about time that the industry grew up a little, because ever year some group at a con tries to out do all previous cons by lowering the bar on what is acceptable and/or clever. This apparently was the last straw for this particular con & to them i say "good on you for stopping the nonsense."

Personally I would much rather be able to talk to someone who knows the product thats being sold, then look at a nice pair of tits. If i want to pay to much money to see a disinterested woman gyrate & pretend to be interested in my presense, who knows nothing about computer games, i can always go to strip club.

Now if only we can get cons to ban "free hugs" signs & cosplay contests, i'd be happier.

Well good job. Now those women are out of the job because your nips are so sensitive.

rbstewart7263:
Well good job. Now those women are out of the job because your nips are so sensitive.

"Won't someone pleaaaaaseeeee think of the booth babes!"
Yeah, I'm crying with compassion now. Internally. Externally I'm rolling my eyes.
The entire notion of booth babes is a fucking juvenile teen fantasy that really seems to be painfully dominant in markets dominated by men who don't want to be men but rather teenagers again.
I don't give a shit about the children, or families reacting to this. I care about a market that is so annoyingly immature it's aggravating.
On one hand, we have people going; "Games are art, it's special."
Then we have people going "Hurr hurr hurr y so srs?"
We have people claiming video games have evolved and matured.
On the other hand we have booth babes and people that can't just say "Yeah, I like oogling women like they're playboy posters."
For fucks sake, be honest with yourself. Videogaming has a long way to go, and a good deal of it is socially awkward in a way that would make your average 70's tabletop rper blush in embarrassment about.

NortherWolf:

rbstewart7263:

Yeah, I'm crying with compassion now. Internally. Externally I'm rolling my eyes.
The entire notion of booth babes is a fucking juvenile teen fantasy that really seems to be painfully dominant in markets dominated by men who don't want to be men but rather teenagers again.
I don't give a shit about the children, or families reacting to this. I care about a market that is so annoyingly immature it's aggravating.
On the other hand we have booth babes and people that can't just say "Yeah, I like oogling women like they're playboy posters."
For fucks sake, be honest with yourself. Videogaming has a long way to go, and a good deal of it is socially awkward in a way that would make your average 70's tabletop rper blush in embarrassment about.

fair enough but growing up and being a prude are not the same. Id be fine if the booth babes were required to be fans and knowledgeable of the franchise. itd give cosplayers something to shoot for. But banning them because of people feeling like there art has grown up and needs a suit doesnt make me think of adults it makes me think of smarmy stuck up socialite elitists.

Aw, dang, now where am I going to see hot women dressed as videogame characters?

*looks at rule 34*

Oh... Well if you can't beat 'em...

rbstewart7263:

NortherWolf:

rbstewart7263:

fair enough but growing up and being a prude are not the same. Id be fine if the booth babes were required to be fans and knowledgeable of the franchise. itd give cosplayers something to shoot for. But banning them because of people feeling like there art has grown up and needs a suit doesnt make me think of adults it makes me think of smarmy stuck up socialite elitists.

Considering some scantily clad ladies that probably have very little knowledge of the product they're selling unfitting is hardly prude.
TO turn it around, to keep Booth babes just to have naked skin to look at is pervert-territory.

Funny, makes me think of grown ups.
it's the god-damned Information Era here people, you want to spank the monkey while oogling someone there's loads of sites out there.

You know what? I agree with it. Booth babes are the bane of gaming conventions. Always something the haters can hold over our heads.

Tenmar:

Hmmmm, as a 6"2 guy who is... I don't want to say "hefty", but definitely well-rounded; I'm guessing that certain free-thinking members of the gamer community, were there such a thing, might be slightly LESS enthusiastic when indulging my desire to start a career modelling miniskirts.

And I know what you're thinking: "Richard Branson ain't gonna pay you to shake your fat ass in front of a gaming booth, you chubby chump." BUT WHAT IF I SAT ON HIM, EH? He's probably let me dance on his own private plane if it meant not having my gigantic butt on his head. Although maybe not his private hot-air balloon; my weight would crash the thing even faster than he would, if that's possible.

See you gotta think of stuff like this before making those kinds of controversial statements.

Anyway, on a more serious note...

1) As much as I would disagree with censorship in all of its forms, this is in the end a private event that's paid for by corporate and business interests. They're out to sell their wares at this thing, and they might not want to be associated with what a lot of people see as sleazy cheap sexual controversy. Not every game studio has the sexual politics of Team Ninja (whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I ain't saying.) You might say, "why not just ban cosplayers?" but cosplayers aren't perceived as being associated with the big games companies in any way other than being fans of their product. Which is very, very different from being paid to turn up in skimpy clothes and draw attention to stands selling products. Besides which, would you want that kind of competition?

2) As regards these booth babes from last year, I think we need more details on exactly what was banned. Many, many details. And pictures. And video. Preferably in HD format. Otherwise, how can we form an informed an unbiased opinion?

I have to agree with the booth babes ban because like several people are saying, they're there to advertise a game with sex, cosplayers are there to just attend and be a character and have a good time. It would also make companies have something more reliable to advertise their games, like...iunno? Gameplay?

I just wish I can see more of these sexual advertising bans on more things... like those Carl's Junior ads. Those sicken me.

Booth Babes are one of the main reasons I even go xD

And I'll second that notion that we need more Booth Studs.

I have to agree with Eurogamers decision here. Firstly ultimately it's a corporate event and they have the right to decide who and what can attend such events within reason. Banning booth-babes is probably a good move because it may put off females from attending such events and their presence may reinforce sexist stereotypes in gaming culture. Gaming shouldn't be an all boys club like the car industry.

These booth babes are morons. Cosplay and the like holds a general unspoken rule of class, and these stupid skanks are threteaning to put unneccessary rules in place due to their idiocy.

Anyone defending them is a lonely virgin,just look at all their strawmen comments.

Booth babes are great. There is nothing wrong with eye candy in a grown up event. Most professional expos have booth babes, ad they even send their most atractive staff to the shows. Beauty sells.

Rahuzero:

Tenmar:

That's the thing. We are not children. We don't need booth babes. I am glad they are banned.

This makes the game industry look more childish. Car shows, boat shows, clothing expos, sex-toy expos... all that stuff is A-ok with the scantily clad models, but the industry that is desperately fighting the stigma of being sexually repressed, childish, and immature is not.

This is just another step for the industry moving backwards in to "for kiddies and weirdos" because it looks like we can't handle even the slightest bit of sexualization in our advertising. Beer drinkers can, car-porn enthusiasts can, motor-heads can, fashionistas can, but gamers see cleavage and get all squeamish apparently.

Dr.Kay:
These booth babes are morons. Cosplay and the like holds a general unspoken rule of class, and these stupid skanks are threteaning to put unneccessary rules in place due to their idiocy.

Anyone defending them is a lonely virgin,just look at all their strawmen comments.

The irony of this comment calling other comments straw-man.

hooksashands:

Andy Chalk:
I have a problem with an artificial distinction being made to mollify people who get nervous around pretty girls.

Well played. I especially like the part where you use "people" instead of "virgins" and "pretty girls" instead of "bimbos being paid to cheapen any cultural identity video games might have once had."

Should I link you to the Japanese commercial for Zelda to remind you of how "dignified" video game advertising started out?

Sylveria:

The irony of this comment calling other comments straw-man.

Don't be silly, straw-man doesn't have a meaning! It's just one of those made up words those internet-types use, like 'noob' or '2.5D' or 'Yorkshire'. None of them are real things!

DevilWithaHalo:
A chip and dales model painted like the ghost of sparta?

I'm assuming you mean Chippendales as in the all male stripper group

Chip and Dale were cartoon rodents

Zykon TheLich:
Well it's their event, if they want to promote a certain atmosphere and image then that's up to them. I can see why, videogames are trying to get themselves a modicum of respect and shed the basement dweller image. Booth babes don't exactly help that.

But it's a pity that such measures have to be taken too achieve a better image. hell i don't even care about my image as long as i can game the way i want and enjoy barely dressed girls, but since it's all about finding new customers i can understand it too, although i don't like it.

and i didn't. shame on me. and i really hope you're right.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67419)