Pro Gamer Suspended For Saying He Had Sex With a 14-Year-Old

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Wait wait wait, he actually get paid to be a pro gamer? (Before you asked, I'm not exactly familiar with the whole pro gamer stuff other than you have to be really good at it and compete for it.)

Aaron Sylvester:
I abused a 14 year old once.

My army of marines absolutely destroyed his base thanks to my strategic genius.

Problem?

No problem, because you immediatly clarified what you meant and you're not a person of public interest. "Stephano" didn't and he is, so there's a difference.

Deshara:
Eh. Some people say shit. Who cares?

You should, if you think of yourself as a respectable member of the gaming community, you should stand for it, whenever there's a situation this community might make a spectacular land in the dirt in the public eye, which it is currently creating more and more opportunities for.

ElPatron:

*snip*

And i think you are twisting the point to your likelihood, which doesn't make it right. If, as a pro, he shouldn't be different than any other gamer, then why is he earning huge money for playing games? Why are his games/matches promoted and streamed all around the world? Why does that not account to any other gamer? Because there is a difference. He became a representative of gaming and now he has to act like one, which means applying to the social rules of public behaviour. If you don't like those rules, that's another thing, you can work to change those, but until then, people of public interest can't say everything without getting the corresponding feedback. Also, wanna tell me the probable reason child abuse isn't mentioned in the video you're referencing? Well, i'll do it myself: It's because child abuse is another matter than eating meat, expressing homosexuality in public, or even consuming goods from unfair, or even inhuman production. It is so because vegetarians, homosexuals, fair trade and human right supporters as well as (most) oppressed social groups are somewhat capable of defending themselfs. There are exceptions, but those are just as delicate as child abuse. Imagine a journalist, or even politician making a statement supporting the state-as-is in north Korea - say hallo to another person being condemned by the public, for good reasons.

AzrealMaximillion:
So when do we start banning online console gamers for saying racial epithets and claiming to rape their opponents?

Very likely won't be long. Look at the other matter from Street Fighter x Tekken, shows where this is going.

Elect G-Max:

*snip*

Ok, then elaborate me pls. It's just that, statistically speaking, most victims of child abuse aren't able to properly expres their victimization and/ or aren't heard by their respective legal guardian. That's why many cases of child abuse aren't recognized until the victims grow to their middle age and build the strength to resolve the issue. That's also the case with many victims of "adult" sexual abuse. I know, that for young people most laws appear like major resctriction and discrimination, been there just some years ago, but in fact, young people in their maturing process are vulnurable to being exploited (abused) in many, many ways and should be protected from that. Sure, the first person to protect them are their parrents and other close, familiar guardians, but in reality, unfortunately, that isn't working all the time, up to not very often. That's why there has to be other means, for example laws, to protect the maturing process, until the individual is capable of expressing and defending itself. Sure, some aren't even capable when they are "mature", some never are and sure it could be done in many better ways, some ways are definetly shit, but you have to draw a line at some point and those are the current perimeters. I think, Cox would approve.
In his home country, it definetly is illegal. I think he knows that and the consequences for violating thoses rules/laws, even if he never violated them himself.

madster11:

*snip*

First, i don't find him guilty of rape by any means until now, but he's innocent until proven guilty in that matter. That doesn't affect how i think about his management treating the matter until now.
Another thing is, you are right, one doesn't just like sex on their xy birthday. Some biologosists and sociologists even state, that the disposition is already set in infantility, for example including a "sexual oral phase" before the age of 2, which is then dropped and later reoccurs. Does that mean, you can have oral sex with an infantile? Fuck no (gah, can't resist bad word-play anymore)! The thing is, if you know how, which is rather easy as an "adult", it is just to easy to exploit the occuring sex-drive of an adolescent. In this state, you can hardly say if the adolescent is mature enough or not,or if or when it is actually affection or love and when it is exploitation, that's why you have to draw a hard line, which is definetly set above 12 and in most cases above 15 or even 18, to encourage that first sexual experiences are made within same-age groups.

Slightly OT: Just had a discussion a short while ago about the age of political participation, which is, in the last decades, constantly lowering in europe. I very much support higher political awareness at younger ages, though i am very glad i didn't have to realy bother about this, but could bother about other things when i was 15. And, when i look at adolescents presenting political symbols they don't understand yet, i'm certain it is good they aren't entitled to alrady participate in this matter, but still have time to further learn about it. And again, sure there are many, many adults who have no real idea what they are doing in a political context, too. And again, there has to be a line somewhere and best thing to better the general situation is to first increase political awareness "everywhere".

Grey Carter:
Bakhtanains later argued that "sexual harassment is a part of [the] culture,"

I'd say that's worthy of a skull-crushing facepalm......and if you somehow survive, you can go on to crush Bakh's skull for making you crush your own.

Scarim Coral:
Wait wait wait, he actually get paid to be a pro gamer? (Before you asked, I'm not exactly familiar with the whole pro gamer stuff other than you have to be really good at it and compete for it.)

:P The $30K fine that the LoL team got slapped with was the prize money for making it to the Semi Finals in the tournament. Think it was the semi-finals. Anyways, they basically had to forfeit their prize money for making it to a certain point in a tournament.

In short, the keyword in "pro gamer" is "pro", which implies they get paid for it like all professional competators in anything else. Not trying to sound like a dick, just wanting to answer your question.

Scarim Coral:

Actually, Stephano is probably one of the better-salaried pros out there, in addition to whatever tournament winnings he gets.

His team has referred to itself as "the New York Yankees of Esports", and they're not afraid to throw money at the big name of the day.

People who can actually make a good living from a game are rare, though. The best teams in Starcraft 2 are usually among the poorest, making elusive tournament winnings the only real source of income.

According to sc2rankings.com - which has reliable numbers as far as I know - Stephano has the fourth-highest tournament winnings in the game, with nearly $200,000 since the game's release. Top spot goes to the Korean "MC" with $340,000.

I'd just like to point out that as SC2 pros go, stephano tends to be kind of a prick. I'm disinclined to care super much about this because of that, for that reason.

What is the business model that permits people to be professional gamers? That's my biggest question. I know that gaming accessory companies sponsor people to endorse their products and such, but I don't see how that translates to good marketing.

Do people watch a lot of streamed Starcraft matches or WoW arena matches? I mean, I'm a pretty big gamer and I can't name a single professional gamer, much less the products that they use.

ElPatron:
what? That situation can possibly be legal/fall under the Romeo and Juliet Laws in many countries.

Do explain, with examples.

Are those cultures reprehensible?

Quite possibly, yes.

It's a five year difference, not a 10 year difference.

So you'd be happy with a 14/15 year old boy to be having sexual intercourse with a 9/10 year old girl? As you get older, especially at the end of or out of the teens, age gaps mean less. Not many would bat an eyelid at a 19 year old and 24 year old bumping uglies because there's not a world of difference between their physical and mental maturity. That is the problem with a 19/18 year old and a 14/13 year old, there is a world of difference in maturity.

I find it worrying that numerous people are attempting defence of his actions*

Yup, that's Stephano.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

People play Starcraft II professionally?

France, as well as poland has the age of consent set at 15 yo so I guess it's easy to make a mistake and you dont ask a girl for an... well whatever document can verify her age, I guess school legitimation? Anyway, most of Eouropean countries and not NEARLY as fixated on legal age as USA (while I understand that 14 is too soon than expecting teens to wait till 18 is even more dumb)

RJ 17:
The $30K fine that the LoL team got slapped with was the prize money for making it to the Semi Finals in the tournament. Think it was the semi-finals. Anyways, they basically had to forfeit their prize money for making it to a certain point in a tournament.

No they didn't, not at all. For cheating they won 120k instead of 150k in that round, 30k went to the charity. That was the only penalty.

ccdohl:
What is the business model that permits people to be professional gamers? That's my biggest question. I know that gaming accessory companies sponsor people to endorse their products and such, but I don't see how that translates to good marketing.

Do people watch a lot of streamed Starcraft matches or WoW arena matches? I mean, I'm a pretty big gamer and I can't name a single professional gamer, much less the products that they use.

Game accessories, PC components, energy drinks, teenage clothing and fashion stuff like colognes (see the prime clothing line and monsieur j for example); all those inserted the same way as TV commercials.

Then you have add banners in the sites and in the streaming of pro casters (and i would differentiate pro casters from pro gamers, because a lot of pro casters suck ass but are likeable so they get viewers), the revenue for the tickets to see pro matches live and the suscription to the tournament to see it on the web.

And then you have susponsors like LG and Samsung.

Those are what i have seen. Not good marketing? So you think that an add in the superbowl for example is bad marketing? Really don't follow your logic. Big tournaments are watched by 500k or so people worldwide, and they are also a very narrow kind of guys, so it's ideal target marketing.

Edit: Also WoW arena has beed dead for almost half a decade now. ATM SC II and DotA games (both DotA 2 and LoL) are the only "big" e-sports in terms of viewers, but fighing games and FPS have a lot of diehard fans.

Evil Smurf:

marche45:

Evil Smurf:
And this is why rape jokes are not funny.

One bad joke does not make it unfunny.

they never were funny.

Hope you don't mind if I run every joke I find before you, just to make sure that it's funny, before I laugh at it.

Seeing as you obviously have final say on what is and isn't funny.

I forget that 'pro gaming' is a thing because it's a pretty stupid thing.

Oh no! I don't get paid to play video games for three weeks?! Whatever shall I do?!

Sheo_Dagana:
Oh no! I don't get paid to play video games for three weeks?! Whatever shall I do?!

He just can't go to tournaments, he's still streaming and stuff.
And you have to remember that this is his job.

If you can't work for a month, you would feel the effects.

Sheo_Dagana:

I love just how clueless your post is.

Yeah, because he totally plays the way you do, he doesn't have to practice a ton of hours and work out new tactics for the ultimate competitive community, nope, he just plays for fun like you, he just so happens to be paid for it. *facepalm*

shadowslayer81:

Sheo_Dagana:

He just can't go to tournaments, he's still streaming and stuff.
And you have to remember that this is his job.

If you can't work for a month, you would feel the effects.

Pro gaming isn't a forty hour a week job. There is a difference. They 'work' maybe two or three days a week. Even if they had to train, getting a part time job to supplement your income would be smart.

Also, aren't most of these guys salary? I had read that most 'pro gamers' have a salary-based income, but I could be wrong about that.

Sheo_Dagana:
Pro gaming isn't a forty hour a week job. There is a difference. They 'work' maybe two or three days a week. Even if they had to train, getting a part time job to supplement your income would be smart.

Also, aren't most of these guys salary? I had read that most 'pro gamers' have a salary-based income, but I could be wrong about that.

#1,6,10
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/03/30/the-10-steps-to-becoming-a-pro-gamer/

EG is the only team that actually salaries their team. Even in Korea which is considered the motherland to eSports is struggling with salaried teams.
http://scvrush.com/posts/10034-interview-with-totalbiscuit-on-the-korean-scene-sponsor-issues

EDIT: Also if you're going to argue your point, I'm going to ask you for proof that you're not just talking out of your ass.

Badguy:

Sheo_Dagana:

I love just how clueless your post is.

Yeah, because he totally plays the way you do, he doesn't have to practice a ton of hours and work out new tactics for the ultimate competitive community, nope, he just plays for fun like you, he just so happens to be paid for it. *facepalm*

I'm sorry, in what way does his suspension prevent him from doing all of those things? And ya know what - maybe training hardcore and planning out all those tactics and competing like he does are HIS way of having fun with video games and he just happens to get paid for it?

I know what goes on into professional gaming, thanks. I just think the whole idea of professional gaming is silly.

Abandon4093:
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

It's not that big a thing in the western hemisphere, but last I heard South Korea had multiple TV channels dedicated to Starcraft - there it's easily more popular than most sports, except maybe football.

Sheo_Dagana:

"Even if they have to train" is rather lol-worthy. Pro gaming easily entails a full-time job's worth of training.
That said: the unreliability of prize money as primary source of income indeed dictates the need for a part-time job for many.

Its the other guy insinuating that its pedophillia, you could really read his line "i got abuse of a 14 year old" like some kid was arguing at him. If im wrong i feel bad for defending but i think its a valid point :/

Kargathia:

Abandon4093:
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

It's not that big a thing in the western hemisphere, but last I heard South Korea had multiple TV channels dedicated to Starcraft - there it's easily more popular than most sports, except maybe football.

It was just meant to be a bit of a joke, I know the Koreans take all things Starcraft very seriously.

But I honestly don't get the point of 'pro-gaming'. Gaming is a hobby, a way to wind down, relax, escape or whatever. It's not a profession, and the people that treat it like one baffle me.

Sheo_Dagana:
*snip*
I know what goes on into professional gaming, thanks. I just think the whole idea of professional gaming is silly.

Does that include all professional sports and competitive play and events? I mean, every single one? If so, your point is legit, still won't be of much interest for most people, but suit yourself. Otherwise, why is that? Why of all things, while in soccer, wrestling, skating, chess or whatever you can think of, there should be a competitive professional base, while not for gaming?
I think that's a bit of another topic, but for your statement to work, that's a point you would have to make clear.

Geofuji:
*snip*

I... eh, uhm, what? Sorry, i don't get what you're trying to say. I think i might, but still, could you please clarify?

Abandon4093:
But I honestly don't get the point of 'pro-gaming'. Gaming is a hobby, a way to wind down, relax, escape or whatever. It's not a profession, and the people that treat it like one baffle me.

Because it's fun to get excited about two people doing things that I could never do with complexities that I don't understand but I can if I just played enough and studied enough.
It also has just the raw thrill of watching an army die to another army with flashy lasers and exploding bodies.
Plus I can sit there and just talk to people about someone's results in a tournament and feel apart of a community without anyone in the background shouting at me that I'm a nerd or whatever.

It's the same reason people are into sports.

Abandon4093:

Kargathia:

Abandon4093:
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

It was just meant to be a bit of a joke, I know the Koreans take all things Starcraft very seriously.

I'd say the driving factor behind pro-gaming is not relaxation or entertainment, but competition. And while I don't care enough for winning to go and spend 8 hours every day practicing, I can certainly understand where they're coming from - just like I can understand sporters training for 8 hours every day, just for the chance to one day win that gold medal.

"Pro Gamer"?

Smack talk is a common staple of today's "average gamer", I imagine "going pro" doesn't change the magnitude of dickery people spew thoughtlessly at others. Add being a teenager to the formula and you can imagine that most of what will be said will be unmitigated shit (no offense teenagers, I was one of you once so I know all too well).

Soak:

I... eh, uhm, what? Sorry, i don't get what you're trying to say. I think i might, but still, could you please clarify?

I just read it as Stephano had gotten verbal abuse of a 14 year old, its the other person in the chat log that is insinuating he meant "fucked". It's broken english because its not his native language. if i make any better sense :S otherwise ill be quiet :D

Sheo_Dagana:

Pro gaming isn't a forty hour a week job.

No, you're right. It's more than that. Top teams for League of Legends e.g. Azubu Frost spend 12 and up hours a day playing, watchign replays etc.

Geofuji:

Soak:

I just read it as Stephano had gotten verbal abuse of a 14 year old, its the other person in the chat log that is insinuating he meant "fucked". It's broken english because its not his native language. if i make any better sense :S otherwise ill be quiet :D

Ah, now i get it. Yes, possible, that would take a lot of preassure from the matter. But you see, you pretty much showed part of the problem. It took you mere seconds to explain what you meant, as far as i've read, "Stephano" missed that, and hasn't realy explained what was going on until now. Only thing he stated until now was in his apologie, where he said that he was "way over the line" (his apologie was obviously dictated by his management). Unfortunately, that's still not enough. The question remains, over what line he has been exactly. The fact that it's still not resolved within Evil Geniouses doesn't make it better.
I surely hope for his sake, that it was just a verbal mistake, misunderstanding or whatever, but we'll have to see about that.

shadowslayer81:

Abandon4093:

Because it's fun to get excited about two people doing things that I could never do with complexities that I don't understand but I can if I just played enough and studied enough.
It also has just the raw thrill of watching an army die to another army with flashy lasers and exploding bodies.
Plus I can sit there and just talk to people about someone's results in a tournament and feel apart of a community without anyone in the background shouting at me that I'm a nerd or whatever.

It's the same reason people are into sports.

I don't get that either.

Don't get me wrong, I love sports. I played a lot of Rugby, field hockey and cricket back in secondary school and I've been considering trying out ice hockey. Did Jiu Jitsu for 10+ years and I'm looking for a good Muay Thai class close to me right now.

But watching them? Nahhhhhhhhhh.

Quite possibly my idea of the most boring way to spend an afternoon in existence.

Whole lot of confusion up ins.

1: "Pro gaming" is hard motherfucking shit. There's a godawful amount of training (though Stephano claims that he spends less time practicing than most any other pro), and the training generally isn't fun. Hope you like grinding out the same god damn experimental build 30 times in a day against a teammate to see if it can stand up to a few basic rushes.

2: People have asked about where the money comes from. Generally speaking, players join teams, companies pay teams to advertise for them. This is something that Stephano's team, EG, does really well. Even if a player like Incontrol isn't tournament-winning-caliber, he's a charismatic and funny guy, and he promotes the shit out of his sponsors.

3: More on money, and specifically streams: people watch them. A lot. It's 3:00 my time right now - hardly peak streaming hours - and I see that Idra has nearly 4000 viewers and White-Ra has 2200. Now, those are both marketable, big-name players, and most individual streams don't get nearly that much attention even at better hours, but that daily viewership - players make money off of commercials they run based on how many people are viewing their streams - makes for nice supplemental income.

Now, as for the major streams? It's hard to get exact numbers because of restreams and it's hard to account for China for the League of Legends streams and shit. But for a basic idea of what the biggest tournaments get, MLG Spring peaked at 437,000 concurrent viewers, with 4.7 million unique viewers over the course of the event. I think most Dreamhacks have about 90,000 concurrent viewers at their peaks. The IPL had 350,000 peak concurrent viewers around the same time as well.

4: Someone above mentioned Korea having two television channels dedicated to Starcraft. This is not quite accurate.

Brood War was fucking huge in Korea, but it had been going through a long, slow decline for a while. Competition from new games like League of Legends, the Savior scandal (one of the absolute best players that had ever played the game was caught convincing rising talent to throw games for illegal betting purposes)... shit added up. Two gaming-centric television channels broadcasted Korean Brood War games: OGN and MBC Game. OGN is still around, but MBC Game had to rebrand itself as a music channel.

So why didn't they pick up Starcraft 2 if it's so popular?

Because nobody cares about Starcraft 2 in Korea.

Korea has the best players, but the general public doesn't give a shit about it. And this is problematic, because that means that sponsors can't afford to give a shit about it (with a couple exceptions, of course), so you have all these teams full of incredible talent but absolutely no money. And Europe and North America are full of fans and sponsors and huge-prize-pool tournaments, but so rarely do we produce anyone actually capable of competing with the Koreans.

5: But why the fuck would people watch other people play fucking videogame tournaments?

Because lots of us like seeing superhuman feats. We like seeing people do shit that we know that we could never accomplish.

But it's important that we have a frame of reference. I don't watch figure skating because I can't tell the difference between the degree of difficulty in one move with the degree of difficulty in another. That's why for some people, the superhuman feat is this:

Or this:

And for others it's this:

Or this:

Tanakh:

RJ 17:
The $30K fine that the LoL team got slapped with was the prize money for making it to the Semi Finals in the tournament. Think it was the semi-finals. Anyways, they basically had to forfeit their prize money for making it to a certain point in a tournament.

No they didn't, not at all. For cheating they won 120k instead of 150k in that round, 30k went to the charity. That was the only penalty.

I'm just repeating what the article told me:

Despite the fine, which covers the prize money Azubu Frost would have received for reaching the semi-finals,

Taken from here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120059-Alleged-League-of-Legends-Cheats-Fined-30-Grand

Isn't that pretty much what I said? I neglected to mention that the 30K went to a charity, but my point was to show the Scarim that people get paid for playing games.

RJ 17:

Tanakh:

RJ 17:

I'm just repeating what the article told me:

Despite the fine, which covers the prize money Azubu Frost would have received for reaching the semi-finals,

Taken from here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120059-Alleged-League-of-Legends-Cheats-Fined-30-Grand

Isn't that pretty much what I said? I neglected to mention that the 30K went to a charity, but my point was to show the Scarim that people get paid for playing games.

Bolded the part I was contesting. They didn't forfeit the price, just were forced to give a small ammount of the price for that specific match to the charity. My point bing in your wording it seems that they didn't get moeny, when taking all the tournament into account they got $220,000; and even in that specific game they cheated and won $120,000.

What a load of bullshit.

This just seems like a silly misunderstanding. Either that, or it was just an extremely distasteful joke.

The guy apologized and that should be enough.

AzrealMaximillion:
So when do we start banning online console gamers for saying racial epithets and claiming to rape their opponents?

As soon as we start doing the same thing to online PC gamers. ;-)

I guess this means online gaming is officially one of the more socially responsible sports around. I can't help but harboring a small grain of pride for this. I hope the officials of different competitions keep up the good work.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here