Witcher Writer Doesn't Feel Like a Co-Author of the Game

Pages PREV 1 2

Like how discussion slowly moves away from actually discussing Sapkowski...

But anyway. Sapkowski is a great writer and the fact that someone managed to do a game based on his books makes me feel a little bit better about this world. Though, English translation of the Witcher sucks (it is one of the reasons why there are so few fans of his in USA).

And the guy has the full right not to give a damn about games. When he wrote the first Witcher story computer games didn't even exist.

craddoke:
I don't know - he seemed really generous to the interviewer. How would you like it if someone asked if you would consider writing tie-in material for an adaptation of an intellectual property that you created? The interviewer is basically saying, "why don't you change your novels so they agree with the video games based on your novels?"

See, that I could understand, but that isn't what he replied with. He said "To me as a writer," Sapkowski says, "the idea to write 'adjuvant content' and create something 'complementary' to a game or a comic is an absolute pinnacle of idiocy.", which is a pretty sweeping generalization which encompass all that kind of work. Either that, or he just chose his words very badly, which would be a little ironic for a writer.

mike1921:

Smeatza:

"To me as a writer," Sapkowski says, "the idea to write 'adjuvant content' and create something 'complementary' to a game or a comic is an absolute pinnacle of idiocy."

Trey Parker and Matt Stone disagree. Why is it that authors are so pretentious compared to other writers?

you mean the writers of South Park? A comedy? Where things that are otherwise idiotic are good ideas? Yup, totally valid comparison

Are you saying any idiot can write comedy? Because that's not true.
Are you saying that comedy and video games have a better relationship than drama and video games? Because that's not true.
Or are you confusing the supposed idiocy of writing for video games with idiocy used within comedy for comedic effect?

mmaruda:
Because in Poland he is a fantasy literature icon on par with Tolkien. The problem is, he's not that popular any more. Some fans actually hated him after the last part of the saga came out and he is known for acting like a buffoon with all this "I am a great writer" attitude. He also continuously disregards modern media, video games especially and refuses them any sort of serious recognition.

When CDP started to make the first game there was a lot of doubt if they can pull this off, since the Witcher books are a big deal over here and none of the fans wanted anything that would share the same fate as the awful movie adaptation. But Sapkowski gave his blessing, and once the games came out, everyone was happy... Except for Sapkowski, who for some reason insists on treating games like idiots' entertainment. That does not mean he is not happy to make money of them, not to mention the books themselves being translated into English and being available to the western audience. Personally I think he is burned out as a writer. The last two books of the Witcher saga are considered a disappointment by many fans (at least the ones I know) and after that he wrote a few short stories, including the infamous Alternative Witcher Saga Ending, which the fans hated him for, and something called Narrenturm, which some people liked and others hated, but eventually everyone lost interest.

Thank you kindly for the background info.

Smeatza:

mike1921:

Smeatza:

Trey Parker and Matt Stone disagree. Why is it that authors are so pretentious compared to other writers?

you mean the writers of South Park? A comedy? Where things that are otherwise idiotic are good ideas? Yup, totally valid comparison

Are you saying any idiot can write comedy? Because that's not true.
Are you saying that comedy and video games have a better relationship than drama and video games? Because that's not true.
Or are you confusing the supposed idiocy of writing for video games with idiocy used within comedy for comedic effect?

I'm saying with a comedy you don't have to take the brand seriously. It's a comedy so tie-in material isn't going to make people take it less seriously. Not that I agree that the games diminish from the seriousness of the Witcher.

MrToy:
Like how discussion slowly moves away from actually discussing Sapkowski...

But anyway. Sapkowski is a great writer and the fact that someone managed to do a game based on his books makes me feel a little bit better about this world. Though, English translation of the Witcher sucks (it is one of the reasons why there are so few fans of his in USA).

And the guy has the full right not to give a damn about games. When he wrote the first Witcher story computer games didn't even exist.

Erh, according to what I've been able to find the Witcher was released in the late 80's. Video games had been around for more than a decade by then.

As for Sapkowski, I liked the Witcher books I've read in Swedish. I loved the Witcher 2, but I recall Sapwkowski trying to make a tabletop RPG a godo while back that was apparently awful as hell.

AzrealMaximillion:
Andrzej Sapkowski's response to the adaptation is respectable. He didn't whine about it like Alan Moore does every damn time. Yeah the From Hell and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movies sucked, but The Watchmen was decent(just way overhyped) and V for Vendetta was awesome.

I thought Moore liked The Watchmen, didn't he say it was as close to the comic that a movie was going to get? Also, fun fact, The Watchmen was written by David Hater, the guy who voiced Solid Snake.

OT: Fair enough, most authors are like this and it's understandable. You'll never be able to fit everything in from a book or movie into a game and you'll not be able to tell the story the same either, changes have to be made that change the work dramatically but also make it better for the delivery.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here