Disney Hands Star Wars: Episode VII to the Writer of Toy Story 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Disney Hands Star Wars: Episode VII to the Writer of Toy Story 3

Academy Award winner Michael Arndt has been given the impossible task of producing a script as good as Episode One's.

It seems that after Disney scooped up Star Wars for about 4 billion (yeah, that's "billion" with a "b", by the way) and change, it didn't want to waste any time in churning out a profit. Imagine that! Thus, almost needless to say, Star Wars: Episode VII has hit its nascent pre-production phase, and already requires someone to start churning out dialog that we can only hope won't include the word "meesa." For this gargantuan task, Disney has chosen Michael Arndt, writer of indie comedy romp Little Miss Sunshine and, more recently, Toy Story 3.

The news comes direct from Star Wars' online HQ, where a series of video diaries featuring the film's producers are being released in tandem to their progress on cranking out the movie. Right now there's little more than footage of George "Alec Guinness Would Kick Me Between the Legs If He Was Still Alive" Lucas lurking around an office with the new dark lord of Lucasfilm, Kathleen Kennedy. We'll likely see meatier content once there's more to show.

No, still no word on who'll be directing this leviathan, but with the film in full swing, that news probably isn't too far far away. Lots of people have wondered about the new direction of Star Wars since Disney confirmed its production, and while the announcement of Arndt wrangling the wordy bits doesn't necessarily answer that question in full, the fact that he's most famous for writing a "kid's movie that won't bore adults" could point to the upcoming trilogy taking a similar tack to previous installments.

Still, we shouldn't forget that Michael Arndt is an Academy Award winner, with his first original screenplay out of the gate, Little Miss Sunshine, taking home a tiny golden man, and his second, Toy Story 3, warranting another invitation to the show. So before you get too worried about Mr. Arndt's pedigree, let me leave you with this little gem once spoken gratingly by a certain Hayden Christiansen: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth." Yes, folks, there is such a thing as rock bottom. It's all uphill from here.

Probably.

Source: StarWars.com

At last a good writer steps into the series... :P

The big issue for me is: WHICH GENERATION will the new movies be targetted to?
THE 10 year olds...? soooo Disney can sell also MORE "happy meals" with its merchandise?

Or we can expect "some" level of maturity in the stories and character development? (So we old-timers are not left out for a change?)

So still no news about when this will be set? i.e. pre-ep1 or post-ep6?

Also I liked Ep1 a lot, just saying... snarky subtitle and all.

So I guess we can expect episode VII to be a tearjerker then?

oh?

some one that can write a good movie as penning the script. interesting, this one might be good after all

This...
Could actually be quite good.

I want to be angry about this, but there really isn't anything left in me except my love of the original trilogy. They can't make a movie where I'll say, "oh, that was better than Empire!" or even Jedi for that matter. Maybe if the kids nowadays are lucky, it'll be pretty good, but if my instinct it right they're going to parade out a couple of old guys and an old woman and a cgi gorilla-dogman and expect everyone to eat it up. The sad thing - we all know they will and it'll be another movie that makes a bunch of money but doesn't leave any lasting impression on the young minds of this generation. Who knows? Maybe we'll have to endure another movie where a bunch of kids are the protagonists again.

MiskWisk:
This...
Could actually be quite good.

Or it could be the Titanic is now boarding...

Tartarga:
So I guess we can expect episode VII to be a tearjerker then?

Really, I'd take anything besides massive frothing rage. Its all I've felt when thinking about Star Wars these days.

This could go one of two ways.

Hell, everything about this new Star Wars series could go one of two ways.

Couldn't they get someone with Action/Science Fiction/Fantasy experience? Toy Story 3 was fine, but it's hardly the tone I expect from a good Star Wars film. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it, but this kind of news doesn't help.

I'm slightly more optimistic about Episode VII now, but I'm still not sold on it yet.

TimeLord:

I liked too, it may be because I was still just a kid when it came out, but I don't see it as the movie equivilent of the anti-christ that most nerds make it out to be.

Jack_in_theGreen:
The big issue for me is: WHICH GENERATION will the new movies be targetted to?

Well, this guy wrote Toy Story 3, so I guess the answer to that is all of them!

Azure Knight-Zeo:
I'm slightly more optimistic about Episode VII now, but I'm still not sold on it yet.

TimeLord:

I liked too, it may be because I was still just a kid when it came out, but I don't see it as the movie equivilent of the anti-christ that most nerds make it out to be.

Yeah, old George waited until Episode Two to trot out the anti-Christ.

I'm still not convinced. This is still a needless sequel and, while Toy Story 3 was a needless sequel that I still liked against all odds, I don't see this guy as having the experience with the kind of material that Star Wars is made of to make this work.
On the other hand, he can't fuck it up any more than Lucas already has.

I wonder if Susan Arndt is realted to him :P

Either way I don't have any high/ low expectation toward this news (less pressure for him I guess), maybe once I had read the plot I would feel something toward it.

I was looking forward to meeting Luke's father-in-law Scrooge McDarth, but toy lightsaber duels is even better. May the force feedback be with you.

This is interesting ... I rather expected Disney to split into the "kids studios" and "adult studios" again. (Don't get me wrong, they do both either way, just the "it has more of an X feel, than Y") ... This however sounds more like they're trying to ... let's call it "Disney-ify" Star Wars. Which could be awesome, but could fail dramatically just as well.
To sum it up ... Disney, don't screw this up. Very fiiiine line there.

There is no way this could be worse than attack of the clones, so I'm going to be optimistic.

At worst there'll just be another trilogy to ignore, no probs.

I might die laughing if Episode Seven revitalizes the franchise by not being a product of Lucas' insanity.

I actually feel a bit better know.

Toy Story 3 was well written.
I mean yes its a kid movie but it has elements of hell, purgatory, death, etc.

I mean Lotso was probably one of the more evil bastards in a recent disney movie recently.
So I remain optimistic for now.

Disney wants to make money so they probably have more then one guy writing and going over the script. I dont see why people are so ENRAGED at this, I mean look at how well they did for Marvel

TimeLord:

it has been said Mark Hamil and Carry Fisher may be on board so most likely after return of the jedi

"producing a script as good as Episode One's"

For the love of the Gods, tell me you don't mean Phantom Menace here.

Doom972:
Couldn't they get someone with Action/Science Fiction/Fantasy experience? Toy Story 3 was fine, but it's hardly the tone I expect from a good Star Wars film. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it, but this kind of news doesn't help.

Wouldn't be the first time someone from a completely different direction starts to expand his field of work with surprising results. For example, David Fincher and lately Skyfall.

wolf thing:

TimeLord:

it has been said Mark Hamil and Carry Fisher may be on board so most likely after return of the jedi

That makes me wonder whether they're going to film the Thrawn Trilogy

Good gods let it be so!!

I mean, competent Stormtroopers? Amazing spacebattles? One of the coolest Star Wars villains (yes, including Darth Vader) ever? Hell yes!

TimeLord:

By the numbering I think we can guess that it will be set after Return of the Jedi.

Azure Knight-Zeo:

TimeLord:

Episode 1 has Liam Neeson in it, which is more than the other two prequels can claim.

Cowabungaa:

Doom972:

Wouldn't be the first time someone from a completely different direction starts to expand his field of work with surprising results. For example, David Fincher and lately Skyfall.

wolf thing:

TimeLord:

That makes me wonder whether they're going to film the Thrawn Trilogy

Good gods let it be so!!

I mean, competent Stormtroopers? Amazing spacebattles? One of the coolest Star Wars villains (yes, including Darth Vader) ever? Hell yes!

I like the idea... a lot. But they're gonna have to find a way to work around the fact that it's been nearly 30 years since RotJ, but the Thrawn Trilogy takes place only 5 years after. Hamill, Ford, Fisher... they are all quite quite older, and it's gonna look weird to have Skywalker in his 60's hooking up with Mara Jade.

They're gonna have to retcon the story somehow to make things start a little later, and not everything could happen exactly like the novels.

waitwut

First they buy it and now they want to put THIS guy on it???

I mean, he's a good writer and all, but how is Star Wars anywhere near what he has done in the past?

Now all we need is Joss Whedon to direct.

Call me cautiously optimistic. It could still suck but I choose to ignore that feeling.

I... I can feel... this weird emotion... is this what people call... optimism?

No... it can't be.... not after the prequels... but what if...

MrDeckard:

waitwut

First they buy it and now they want to put THIS guy on it???

I mean, he's a good writer and all, but how is Star Wars anywhere near what he has done in the past?

That is what I was going to say. Though, at least he has written for movies. Not the same type, but at least on movies.

Awhile back I heard that one of my favorite fantasy book series, The Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. Barron, was going to be made into a television movie series. The thing is though, who's writing the screen play you might ask? Somebody that has actually written fictional screen plays?

Nope. Some nut job somewhere thought it was perfect to hire the proofreader/editor of the Oprah show. THE OPRAH SHOW!?!?!
I have not found anything on the guy that tells me he has worked well with such writing, and that of course worries me.

The guy better be some sleeper writing savant or I'm going to have to ring some necks.

I don't think anyone seems all that worried that they had to assign the job to someone. I mean, it's slightly concerning to me that they didn't just have a bunch of writers volunteering for the job, that they just had to say "hey, you're not doing anything. Write the next Star Wars." Hopefully, that's not how it happened, but it's just the image that comes to mind for me.

Mike Kayatta:

Academy Award winner Michael Arndt has been given the impossible task of producing a script as good as Episode One's.

A weekend's time on a legal pad should do the job just fine.

Eh, if he's a good writer... though I still wonder who the movie will be geared towards...

Now at last the masks had fallen away. The strings of the puppets had become visible, and the hands of the prime mover exposed. Most ironic of all, was the last gift that Lucas' departure had given me: more powerful then Disney which now held their rights. More Accute even then the knowledge of one able to discern the insanity of the expanded universe. The first bitter taste of that terrible illusion...hope.

On a more serious note, if you are making a movie set after the sixth movie. Maybe you should create one about this guy:

Just Saying...maybe it's time to give him a movie.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here