What is your favorite PS2 game of all time?
GTA: San Andreas
6.3% (64)
6.3% (64)
GTA: Vice City
3.2% (32)
3.2% (32)
Grand Theft Auto III
1% (10)
1% (10)
Final Fantasy X
8.5% (86)
8.5% (86)
Final Fantasy XII
2.9% (29)
2.9% (29)
Final Fantasy X-2
0.7% (7)
0.7% (7)
Kingdom Hearts
4.4% (44)
4.4% (44)
Kingdom Hearts II
7.3% (74)
7.3% (74)
God of War
0.8% (8)
0.8% (8)
God of War II
1.2% (12)
1.2% (12)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
2% (20)
2% (20)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
7.2% (73)
7.2% (73)
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
0.1% (1)
0.1% (1)
Gran Turismo 4
0.9% (9)
0.9% (9)
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
1.9% (19)
1.9% (19)
Jak II
2% (20)
2% (20)
Jak 3
2.5% (25)
2.5% (25)
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
0.6% (6)
0.6% (6)
Sly 2: Band of Thieves
1.1% (11)
1.1% (11)
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
0.4% (4)
0.4% (4)
Guitar Hero
0.1% (1)
0.1% (1)
Guitar Hero II
0.3% (3)
0.3% (3)
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
1.7% (17)
1.7% (17)
Katamari Damacy
1.3% (13)
1.3% (13)
Silent Hill 2
5.1% (51)
5.1% (51)
Silent Hill 3
0.8% (8)
0.8% (8)
Silent Hill 4: The Room
0.4% (4)
0.4% (4)
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
0.1% (1)
0.1% (1)
Devil May Cry
0.2% (2)
0.2% (2)
Devil May Cry 2
0.1% (1)
0.1% (1)
Devil May Cry 3
1.1% (11)
1.1% (11)
Okami
6.4% (65)
6.4% (65)
ICO
1.4% (14)
1.4% (14)
Shadow of the Colossus
10.7% (108)
10.7% (108)
Ratchet & Clank
1% (10)
1% (10)
Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando
1.4% (14)
1.4% (14)
Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal
2.7% (27)
2.7% (27)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
1% (10)
1% (10)
Resident Evil 4
2.5% (25)
2.5% (25)
Bully
0.6% (6)
0.6% (6)
Burnout 3: Takedown
1% (10)
1% (10)
Burnout Revenge
0.6% (6)
0.6% (6)
Beyond Good & Evil
1.5% (15)
1.5% (15)
Soulcalibur II
0.3% (3)
0.3% (3)
Soulcalibur III
0.6% (6)
0.6% (6)
Tekken 4
0.1% (1)
0.1% (1)
Tekken 5
0.3% (3)
0.3% (3)
Tekken Tag Tournament
0.2% (2)
0.2% (2)
Killzone
0.5% (5)
0.5% (5)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What's Your Favorite PlayStation 2 Game of All Time?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

There's quite a few people complaining about the lack of Persona 4. That would get my vote, but since it's not their I'll go with Vice City.

Tough choice, I've got some great spooky memories with Silent Hill 2, Kingdom Hearts still has me hooked and Shadow of the Colossus was a wonder, but my heart lies with Final Fantasy X.

First video games outside of Sonic the Hedgehog that I ever played, and it still gives me a funny squishy feeling when I play it. Nostalgia, go!

Tsk so many wonderful games are MIA on this list.. but I guess it can't be helped. So many wonderful games. Odin Sphere, Persona, Nocturne, The Cooper series, God hand, Dot hack R1/R2 and many many many others. So many great games, such a wonderful system. But i still have mine so at the end it'll never truly end for me -nod-

where are the .hack// games. Those are the best games for the playstation. Also waiting on my .hack//HD Collection.

OtherSideofSky:
That's a pretty limited list. No Persona? No Shadow Hearts? No Z.O.E. 2?

Actually, where's Devil May Cry? How did you make a best-of PS2 list and not include even one DMC game?

DMC3 is on there

DVS BSTrD:
Battlefront wasn't an exclusive, so I went with Bully.

redknightalex:
Neither was Resident Evil 4 (GameCube first) but it's included anyway.

The same goes for GTA: San Andreas. That was on the original Xbox as well.

That's what got my vote. It was the first "M" game I ever played.

No Grandia II? Awwww... I can understand its absence though. Grandia II didn't seem like a very well known game even back when it first came out. It was one of the last good JRPGs before the genre started to take a nosedive. Aside from Persona, JRPGs have gotten really... blah.

With that said, I'm actually surprised by the lack of Persona. I didn't play either game on the actual PS2, so I wasn't going to choose them. The absence is still odd considering the series' popularity.

Guess I'll go with Devil May Cry off the list then.

Now that I think of it, I didn't play half of the games on that list when they were new. I didn't even play Okami until the HD release this year.

Neronium:
Time to be in the minority! I voted for Final Fantasy XII, although I play the International Edition, but it is still my favorite Final Fantasy game ever. Although it was tough for me to choose as I've been playing through Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and that game has been fun. Also, stinks since most of my PS2 games are imports so they aren't necessarily represented on the list. :/

I do not wish to insult you opinion but can I ask why? The only FF I hated more than XII was XIII. I liked X-2 more than XII.

I could understand if it was because of the gameplay as it was fun but I always judge a FF on the story and XII was just Return of the Jedi without lightsabers.

OT: I picked FF X. The last great Final Fantasy.

It was a tough choice for me between FFX, KH2 and MGS3. KH2 won however. I only came to recently appreciate the MGS series over the last year, so despite how incredible an experience MGS3 was, to me it was inferior to the other 2 (I can completely understand if anyone disagrees with me). FFX only lost out, because it was only within the last 6 months that I felt the urge to purchase a copy for myself (which I did), after having completed it 4 times over, using an emulator or friend's copy. KH2 gets the prize however, since due to the strange, yet wonderful, and extremely successful combination of two favorite franchises, along with a great story, it seems to be a game, and also, game franchise I continuously return to (KH was not up in the top 3 as KH2 was superior for me)

RIP PS2. Here's hoping PS "Orbis" isn't a joke

That was harder than it should have been because there were so many awesome games for the PS2.

I had to go with Silent Hill 3 since I love that game so much, and I played it a lot when it first came out. The character was great and the music and atmosphere were brilliant, and that one moment before Heather goes to Silent Hill damn near made me cry.

Few things, first who in their right mind thinks San Andreas was a better game than vice city? more features but Vice City is just on another level.

An who put that list together? 3 ratchet and clank games and 3 sly games which I actually had to google to find out what they were yet no

Star Wars Battle Front's
Battlefield
Football, NFL, NHL, basketball or any ball themed sport (which is disgraceful as this was the era of Pro Evo Soccer greatness when they were actually making innovations.
or LOTR return of the king, quite possibly the best movie tie in game ever made Two towers was pretty good as well but made obsolete as if I remember right the big battles from it are also in ROTK

Edit: also forgot morrowind and Star Wars Knights of the old republic! amazing games that showed you could have imersive RPG's on consoles as well as pc

OtherSideofSky:
That's a pretty limited list. No Persona? No Shadow Hearts? No Z.O.E. 2?

Actually, where's Devil May Cry? How did you make a best-of PS2 list and not include even one DMC game?

Uhh Devil May Cry is right there dude. Twentyyyyyy...sixth down.

The game I would pick is already on there but I agree with most of these comments, it's a pretty poor list considering a lot of them are sequels or prequels. At least use the series or the more popular one to make room for other outstanding games (Shadow Hearts, for example, does have a large cult following).

Bully, or for us Germans "Canis Canem Edit"

Easily the best, I love it :3

Gizmo1990:

Neronium:
snip

I do not wish to insult you opinion but can I ask why? The only FF I hated more than XII was XIII. I liked X-2 more than XII.

I could understand if it was because of the gameplay as it was fun but I always judge a FF on the story and XII was just Return of the Jedi without lightsabers.

Not Neronium, but a lover of Final Fantasy 12. I admit the main characters were forgettable, but I very much enjoyed the chemistry between Balthier and Fran and the story surrounding those characters. If they had been the main characters, it would have been a better game. It's a political story rather than a love story and takes a lot of the charm from Final Fantasy Tactics. The world is also very well designed and open (following X, that was a breath of fresh air).

This review sings it's praises quite well.
http://rpgfan.com/reviews/finalfantasy12/index.html

OT: I'm lost between Okami, Shadow of the Colossus and Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (my first game on the PS2)

Sorry, meant to just edit.

So many good games. I chose ICO, but I could have easily chosen Okami, SotC, or even Final Fantasy XII as well. MGS3 was triumph, as was God of War. And there were all the quirky outliers like Tenchu and Drakengard. Yeah, a great game system indeed. I wish even more of its games were at least digitally available.

No Persona games? No Shin Megami Tensei (Nocturne, DDS)? No Tales? No Xenosaga?

I call SHENANIGANS!!!

Kingdom Hearts (the first).

It would take too long to explain why that will go down as my favorite PS2 game and one of my favorite games in general.

I will never forget seeing that trailer and hearing that music for the first time.

Please make number 3 already. Thank you.

No Ar Tonelico 1 or 2, no Radiata Stories, and no Persona. This makes me very sad.

OT: I put Okami because it was absolutely stunning.

Favorite PS2 game was Metal Arms Glitch in the System... ant that is my vote

There's no God Hand or Timesplitters.

Very disappoint.

Though it's still a good list. Ended up going with Metal Gear Solid 3.

As long as that list is im still dissapointed that there isnt more on it.

Voted for Okami, being dissapointed that God Hand or certain Shin Megami Tensei titles were not included.

While the story line remains unfinished and hanging I am disappointed not to see Legacy of Kain or Soul Reaver 2 on the list of options. Solid games in my opinion.

Holy crap, I will never be able to choose between these games...I mean, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Kingdom Hearts 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Goddamn 3? How am I supposed to choose just one...?

Voted for Okami, would have voted for Way of the Samurai if it had been there.

I chose Silent Hill 3. It was my first entry into the Silent Hill series, after which I immediately went back and played 1 and 2. The graphics were eerily realistic and the controls, while sluggish, made sense in that not everyone can be a Tomb Raider or a Raziel.

Outside of this list, my fav would be .hack//, with Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner a close second.

I too am shocked that Persona 4 didn't make the list I can understand not being about to put all the SMT games on there but there should have been at least one in there somewhere. I think it might just be a case of the PS2 having too many good games.

Star Wars: Battlefront II's not on there. This list is invalid.

Awww no dark cloud 2 on that list? That game was awesome oh well I voted for final fantasy 12 it and gta vice city are the only games I really liked on that list.

Gizmo1990:

Neronium:
Time to be in the minority! I voted for Final Fantasy XII, although I play the International Edition, but it is still my favorite Final Fantasy game ever. Although it was tough for me to choose as I've been playing through Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and that game has been fun. Also, stinks since most of my PS2 games are imports so they aren't necessarily represented on the list. :/

The story wasn't the best FF story ever but that was because originally Basch and Balthier were supposed to be the main characters, but the people at Square figured that they were too "old" to be considered the main characters and added in Vaan and Penelo. So I think of it in this way, the story focuses on Basch, Balthier, and Ashe but is told from the point of view of Vaan. Another reason as to why I liked it was for the large amounts of sidequests it had and for how difficult it actually was. I play the International version nowadays which fixed some of the issues with the gambits and license boards which made the game even more enjoyable for me. The International let's you turn off guest and Esper gambits, it allows you to break the damage limit of 9999, and best of all it adds 12 new license boards in the form of classes like how they were in Tactics. You only get one License Board for that character and you can't change it.

But I digress, to answer your original question I liked XII so much because it did so many things differently and really reinvigorated the series for me. Then came XIII...>.>

Ah no fair! They're all so awesome!

Eclipse Dragon:
Snip

Neronium:
Snip

I can see why you guys liked it and you had some good points. I did like Balthier and I do belive that XII had one of, if not, the best combat system in the series but while I think adding Vaan and Penelo did not help in any way having Balthier and Basch as the main characters would not have solved the main problem I had. That the game was damn near a shot for shot remake of Jedi. They ever had a Death Star!

Gizmo1990:

Eclipse Dragon:
Snip

Neronium:
Snip

I can see why you guys liked it and you had some good points. I did like Balthier and I do belive that XII had one of, if not, the best combat system in the series but while I think adding Vaan and Penelo did not help in any way having Balthier and Basch as the main characters would not have solved the main problem I had. That the game was damn near a shot for shot remake of Jedi. They ever had a Death Star!

Now that I think of it I can see where you are coming from as well. Still, for me it doesn't really phase me as much because I usually try not to focus too much on the stories in JRPGs as much as they get confusing at times. But I guess it also helps that I liked Return of the Jedi. XD
Dang, now I wanna play XII International but I need to finish my LP of Final Mix first, then I need to do X International...Dang it! >.<
Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to fight Sephiroth on FM Proud. I regret everything. T.T

Ahhh so many great games! I love you PS2!

Metal Gear Solid 3
Shadow of the Colossus
Sly 2: Band of Thieves

Had to be Silent Hill 2 though, the game I've played most out of those.

Any answer other than God Hand is objectively wrong.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here