Bankruptcy Auction Ends THQ

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I thought Darksiders 3 was already 'dead' when DS2 didn't sell 5 million copies...either way I mourn the series' death, they did some EXCELLENT world building and game quality was near exponential from 1 to 2...not that 1 was bad to start with.

Yokillernick:
Damn stupid THQ couldn't hold on a bit longer. These two game alone would have got them out of debt.

Really? Saints Row 2/3 were both categorical failures.

Quiotu:

Andy Chalk:
Employees of entities that are not part of the sale will be laid off. Among those assets are Darksiders studio Vigil Games and "some other intellectual properties."

Great... guess I'll just hang onto the two Darksiders games I own like a Faberge Egg. Won't be seeing those anymore...

Aye. That's a real pity. I was enjoying those.

I suppose there's the off-chance that someone will pick them up but... No. At this point it's probably better not to have high hopes.

tehroc:
FUCKING NOOOOOOOOO! Saints Row is now owned by the Koch brothers. Expect hard right slant. Why they bought Metro I couldn't guess.

I'd rather Activision get Stick of Truth then Ubisoft. The rest is fine.

Think you should go back and read. Koch Media is not the same as the Koch Bros. Koch Media own Deep Silver, who published Dead Island. IMO, it could have been at lot worse. (looking at you Activision)

DARKSIDERS, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Also, Saints Island anyone? :P

Nouw:

GonzoGamer:

Soviet Heavy:
So now Sega owns both the Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy Battle rights...

Make it your first order of business to hire back a bunch of Relic's old staff that were let go after Retribution.

It will all be worth it if they make a Valkyria Chronicles style 40K game.

Does Koch Media have anything to do with the Koch Bros? That would suck for Saints Row.

Nah Koch Media is basically Deep Silver.

-Nouw, you, yes you, your avatar = emediate genuis. Way to show where your support lies. xD The Emperor commends you.

EvilChameleon:

Yokillernick:
Damn stupid THQ couldn't hold on a bit longer. These two game alone would have got them out of debt.

Really? Saints Row 2/3 were both categorical failures.

I'm sorry but are you saying that Saints Rows 2 was not one of the best sandbox games ever made? Are you implying even in the slightest that that game was crap because either you have never played it or you are just trying to take the piss.

I for one am very happy Relic was bought by Sega. I am a HUGE Total War series fan and Sega has treated them well.

Pros: 1. Sega lets Creative Assembly try new things within the Total War series which is WAY better than EA or Activision.
2. Sega has rewarded Creative Assembly for the success of Shogun 2 Total War by giving CA a larger budget and more development time for the upcoming ROME 2 Total War. (cant wait!)
3. Sega allowed CA to make mistakes with Empire and Napoleon without gutting or punishing the developer. IMO this shows the trust Sega gives these successful developers despite the fact Empire was met with nothing short of outrage from the Total War fan base.

Cons: 1. Fast release of new Total War titles
2. Silly Total War DLC, but some fun DLC happened occasionally also

So overall I believe Sega will treat Relic with the respect they deserve. Relic has release many critically acclaimed, and innovative games (like CA). Sega will let Relic continue this trend.

(side note - I do not know anything about other Sega games, IP's or developers)

The Warhammer 40k series offers a very good mechanic for a MMO-RTS game, if they essentially take the tabletop game system and convert it to a video game format. I've always kinda been hoping that Relic would come to realize this so I'm curious to see if Sega will issue out an order for it.

Full:
Vigil is out of business? Damn, harsh, the Darksiders games were alright.

A Homefront sequel by Crytek. So EA can have another Call of Duty clone. Neat-o.

Ubisoft now has South Park? So I guess this means a shit PC port, then.

And Koch bought the Saints Row guys? Heh, can't wait for the shirtless Johnny Gat Statue. Wait, I would... actually buy that. Never mind.

Ubisoft actually did a damn good PC port of AC3 (first hand experience) and Far Cry 3 (from what I hear) so I'm not too worried about that actually. I'm happy Ubisoft got SP and not EA or Acti or someone else.

Little Gray:

RicoADF:

Soviet Heavy:

Make it your first order of business to hire back a bunch of Relic's old staff that were let go after Retribution.

I was just thinking that it sounds like it worked out perfectly for relic, and a big sigh of relief. Voalition though, I can't say I recall the name kosh media, so dunno what to think about that

They own the guys who did Dead Island.

And the people that make X3 series, which makes for interesting possabilities. Freespace 3 perhaps? Although they'd need to get the rights back.

Nihlus2:
It is a sad day to see THQ go down and under. Good intentions and some good games under their banner, an undeserved fate to be sure.

Hrmm... Sega of all companies got Relic? Oh dear... if this had happened a year ago I would not really have shrugged much. But with the recent way they have treated fans and consumers and IP, I am really, honestly, worried.

At the same time, they are the ones most familiar with RTS games on that list so... guess it's a sort of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

Would you have been more worried about Sega buying it or EA/Activision? ~.^

Sega at least doesnt seem to be scared of taking a risk now and then, mayhaps we will see a new Homeworld 3 out of this?

RicoADF:

Soviet Heavy:

I was just thinking that it sounds like it worked out perfectly for relic, and a big sigh of relief. Voalition though, I can't say I recall the name kosh media, so dunno what to think about that

Sure you know Kosh Media you probably just don't know (neither did I). They make games under the brand deep silver the company behind a dead island.

Andy Chalk:
Among those assets are Darksiders studio Vigil Games.

God.
Damnit.

Literally the only IP that I had an interest in out of THQ and it gets the chop....le sigh.....

shiajun:
My only concern was that Relic remain intact, at least structurally. The bad thing is they can't make another Homeworld game since Activision owns the rights to that IP through Vivendi.

THQ owned the rights to homeworld
They bought it in 07
so yes there is still hope

Full:

A Homefront sequel by Crytek. So EA can have another Call of Duty clone. Neat-o.

Crytek has nothing to do with EA other than a publishing deal for the 3 Crysis games.

The thing I found funny was that they bought the other IP (other than the first Crysis) to have the North Koreans as a futuristic military (super)power.

Soviet Heavy:

Quiotu:

Soviet Heavy:

I told this to a friend of mine, and I'll say it again here. Sega successfully shit all over any IP they had that I liked. I have little faith that Sega can even BUY a decent IP and then do anything good with it.

Sega owns Creative Assembly, the Total War developers. Who have only really made two duds, with Empire and Napoleon.

Heresy! Freaking loved Empire Total war, bloody fantastic game.

Irridium:
I assume this means Stick of Truth will now be saddled with Uplay.

God DAMMIT

I couldn't find a video on youtube of someone crying that wasn't stupid, so trust me when I say WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Soviet Heavy:

That, and also give them free reign to do whatever they want with the franchise.

There has yet to be a single relic game set in the 40k universe that was bad. Not a single one.

Funny how this worked out with the GW IPs though isnt it?

RJ 17:

Andy Chalk:

God.
Damnit.

Literally the only IP that I had an interest in out of THQ and it gets the chop....le sigh.....

I wonder what this means for the IP though. It cant just disappear, since people know about it. Does this just mean that Darksiders is free game for whoever wants to make something set in that universe?

Corven:
I was about to ask who the heck Koch Media was, but a little Google search shows that they're the same people who run Deep Silver. I find it interesting that EA didn't have their hands all over volition.

Rednog:
Wait what does this mean for Saints Row....? Hmmm Volition was bought by Koch Media...they run Deep Silver....who published...oh fuck you world.

Yeah..... Deep Silver. Ehm. Okay. Yeah I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about them. They're not very... AAA are they? Not that I want to see it in the hands of EA or Activision, but hrm, I feel this could've gone better.

GenGenners:
-snip-
Also, Saints Island anyone? :P

Full:
-snip-
And Koch bought the Saints Row guys? Heh, can't wait for the shirtless Johnny Gat Statue. Wait, I would... actually buy that. Never mind.

MAYBE WANT. Wait we've already had the Saints fight zombies, what the heck are they gonna face now?

capcha:
marry me

NO

deathbydeath:
To the company that published STALKER, Metro, Saints Row, Darksiders, Dawn of War and Space Marine: Goodbye. It's been fun.

I see your funeral music and raise you Murray Gold:

Oddly appropriate, vale means farewell.

Irridium:
I assume this means Stick of Truth will now be saddled with Uplay.

God DAMMIT

I know right? There's still hope though, with SP Studios having filed some kind of legal action in the courts the sale may yet be made null and void and the IP will to it's rightful caretakers, Matt and Trey. If Ubisoft gets to keep it, well then I guess I won't be buying it.

Quazimofo:

RJ 17:

Andy Chalk:

God.
Damnit.

I wonder what this means for the IP though. It cant just disappear, since people know about it. Does this just mean that Darksiders is free game for whoever wants to make something set in that universe?

And that's what I'm wondering as well. Apparently it was one of a number of things that "didn't get sold", which would mean that THQ still owns it...but THQ is no longer a thing. I wonder if some neutral entity maintains the licensing or something to be sold whenever someone does have an interest in it or if it's officially gone. Apparently Vigil Studios was specifically what did not get sold (therefor, by extension, the Darksiders IP), so I wonder what happens to them? Do they go under as well or just start shopping around for a new publisher to pick them up?

I'm still holding out hope that a new Darksiders will still come out, I just have no idea what's going on with it...and the fact that it didn't get sold can't be good.

ImSkeletor:
I just wonder who is going to Publish the WWE games?

Take Two acquired the WWE game rights.

The thing that jumps out for me is take two buying an IP that the general public knows almost nothing about. It makes me curious what exactly Evolve is?

Soviet Heavy:

Sega owns Creative Assembly, the Total War developers. Who have only really made two duds, with Empire and Napoleon.

Both Empire, and to a lesser extent, Napoleon are still going strong. They haven't peaked spectacularly (partially due to their somewhat rocky launches), but last I heard Empire still had significant sales figures, and that's years down the line. They're not putting out CoD-like high-scores of units moved at launch, but they're anything but duds.

...Fuck.

I'm sorry, THQ. You deserved better than this.

Soviet Heavy:

RicoADF:

Soviet Heavy:

Really? Personally I love empire, one of their best if you ask me

I found that Empire was a major step down from the godly Kingdoms expansion, which I hold up as the most complete total war game ever. Empire isn't a bad game, but I felt it was lacking compared to the other titles.

I liked Empire because it had some bold ideas. The naval warfare was a good addition, if not perfect (no hotkeys for the broadsides? Seriously?). But it had it's flaws. The AI was not up to par and it was fucking bugged. The sound of the cutscenes bugged out on me and quite a few others. I also had more then one campaign in which the AI caused a CTD and there was no way to prevend it. This made some of my campaigns impossible to complete. It also seemed to be a common issue, they never fixed.
But over all I think it braught the franchise forward in some aspects. It's just a shame that expansions like Kingdoms are not to be expected anymore.
Medieval II Kingdoms truely was the pinnacle of the franchise. And it was published by Sega. There is hope and I will cling to it.

CorvusFerreum:

Soviet Heavy:

RicoADF:

Really? Personally I love empire, one of their best if you ask me

I found that Empire was a major step down from the godly Kingdoms expansion, which I hold up as the most complete total war game ever. Empire isn't a bad game, but I felt it was lacking compared to the other titles.

I liked Empire because it had some bold ideas. The naval warfare was a good addition, if not perfect (no hotkeys for the broadsides? Seriously?). But it had it's flaws. The AI was not up to par and it was fucking bugged. The sound of the cutscenes bugged out on me and quite a few others. I also had more then one campaign in which the AI caused a CTD and there was no way to prevend it. This made some of my campaigns impossible to complete. It also seemed to be a common issue, they never fixed.
But over all I think it braught the franchise forward in some aspects. It's just a shame that expansions like Kingdoms are not to be expected anymore.
Medieval II Kingdoms truely was the pinnacle of the franchise. And it was published by Sega. There is hope and I will cling to it.

Medieval II was developed by Creative Assembly Australia, who had started working on it while Rome was just finishing up development by the UK branch. Unfortunately, the Australia division no longer exists.

Also, the most apt comparison for Relic's fate.

"Homefront (IP) - purchased by Crytek for $500,000"

And that's really one of the reasons for all this. Triple A shooter IP only thought to be worth half a million?

I hope Saints Row is still fully supported, THQ's humble bundle has worked in making me a huge fan of the IP.

Other than that, Ubisoft better fund South Park and I imagine that THQ Montreal is going to be shut down and merged with Ubisoft Montreal

leet_x1337:

Crytek + Home(front):
Probably not going to change much. Except that somebody will try and make a Homefront sequel, and...yeah.

Your correct on the former but not so much on the latter. Since Homefront 2 was already being developed by Crytek months before THQ announced all of this.

Through all this, I realised how many games THQ owned that I like. I'm most interested in Saints Row and Relic and also Metro. Sad for everyone who lost their jobs though. THQ had it kinda coming but most employees who lost their jobs, didn't do anything wrong. Oh well, nothing we can do now. I'm just happy now that most franchises have found a good new home. Except Darksiders, I wonder what will happen now to the IP. I've heard that Vigil employees are already looking for new jobs.

SomebodyNowhere:
The thing that jumps out for me is take two buying an IP that the general public knows almost nothing about. It makes me curious what exactly Evolve is?

Remember a while ago when they said they had something up their sleeve? Something unannounced which probably wasnt going to be until after they survived bankruptcy?

That was probably one of those things.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or