J.J. Abrams Signs Up To Direct Star Wars VII

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

ill wait and see but if star trek is anything to go by it will be a film made up of a hell of alot of coincidences.

i remember watching star trek and the recurring theme for me was "gee that was lucky, what are the chances that would happen" *raises eyebrow*

2fish:

Movie Bob I expect you to be reviewing for all types of star wars fans on this movie. The obsessed, the casual, the original trilogy diehards, the new trilogy was better wrong people, and the other factions that exist.

If his Twitter is anything to go by, expect some more "Amazing Spider-Man"-esque rants in the near future.

And really, this thread is the first time I've ever even heard of widespread hate for that last Star Trek movie.

*Puts cooking pot on head like helmet and use the lid of a garbage can as a shield*

"Prepare yourself my friends. I see a shitstorm coming "

(Brb, just gonna go watch Twitter explode)

valium:
Am I the only person on this site who likes Abrams movies?

Nope, I like them too. Though Super 8 was still a bit of a disappointment, in my opinion.

Also, we only really need one person to make the lens flare "joke", people. Don't overdo it.

Sounds pretty good to me.

The new Star Trek was a damn good movie with a perfectly selected cast and good writing.

Alright, yes, there was a fuckload of lens flare, but it didn't ruin the movie for me.

Just remember people, the guy the directed The Phantom Menace is no longer involved. It can only go up from there.

Rogue 09:
Right. The thing to do to bring back fans who were pissed off because you ruined the cannon of Star Wars is to bring someone in who has already shown he doesn't give a fuck about the cannon of Star Trek.

Given how much of a hopeless clusterfuck the Star Wars canon is right now, I don't think that's going to be much of an issue at this point. The Expanded Universe royally screwed things over long before the prequels came along.

I'm pretty neutral about this, simply because I haven't seen much of Abrams' work. It seems like one of the major complaints about the Star Trek reboot was that it felt too much like Star Wars, so perhaps this is right up his alley after all.

PedroSteckecilo:
I think Bob Chipman may have just imploded...

I was going to complain about all the "fans" rage in this thread but this comment had me laughing to tears. Well played sir.

May the flares be with you.
-Jar Jar Abrams

Lol just kidding, I actually don't mind JJ Abrams as a director for Star Wars since I rather liked the new Star Trek movie (in spite of its many flaws, stranding Kirk on an ice planet instead of jail cell really?). I was really hoping for Joss Whedon (or Jon Favreau), but he's likely too busy with that other big Disney movie coming out around the same time. I just hope they end up focusing more on the battles and technology and stuff instead of the Jedi. It'd be nice to have more actual "star" "wars" for a change.

Azex:
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

also lens flare.

this is gonna suck

Have you seen the trailers for the Star Trek sequel he's doing? They seriously toned down the lens flare.

valium:

No, I saw the new Star Trek movie and actually quite liked it. Though I could never get into the old ones, I actually didn't really like Wrath of Khan that much either <.< >.> Not saying it was bad! Just that I personally did not find it all that much entertaining.

valium:

Nope, I quite like his work. The Star Trek reboot was a lot of fun, if a bit "playing it cool", rather than going overboard with the tech-talk like the original show, which, to be honest, I'm a bit happy it didn't. It was cheesy to hear back then and that kind of style hasn't aged well. Abrams gave us a great movie with detailed space battles, a captain that wins because he can out-think his enemies, and a bit of alien sex. In my book, as long as it comes together in a fun to watch package, that's good enough for me.

I will say though, I think his style will suit Star Wars a bit better. That series has always been heavier on the action and settings than Star Trek. Though I had wished with all my being that Joss Whedon would be the one to head it up. Firefly already had that kind of "space western" thing Star Wars had going for it in some places, but I think Abrams will do the Star Wars series justice; a hell of a lot more justice than what Lucas ever showed it.

Atleast itīs only Star Wars VII and not VIII and IX. But not too psyched about this, i really donīt like Abrams, i admire his dedication and i really want to like his movies, but they all fall flat for me. Especially Super 8, should have been great, but it kinda sucked with one of the most anti-climactic and rushed endings iīve seen in a looong time. Itīs better than Joe Johnston or Gore Verbinski or someone in that vein but iīd rather see someone else, Ben Affleck could have been interesting... different but interesting. But then again, maybe itīs better that Affleck doesnīt waste his time on Star Wars sequels when he could direct something better. Joss Whedon could have been a good choice, i might not like everything he does, but Cabin in the Woods was highly enjoyable.

steampro:

valium:

No, I saw the new Star Trek movie and actually quite liked it. Though I could never get into the old ones, I actually didn't really like Wrath of Khan that much either <.< >.> Not saying it was bad! Just that I personally did not find it all that much entertaining.

You should check the 4th one, itīs quite different and quite silly in a good way.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Have fun Star Wars fans. I'm grabbing the parachute and jumping off this plane while I still can...

What plane would that be? The one Lucas already crashed into the ground, bulldozed, and then urinated on?

Honestly, people here are acting as if the Devil himself is going to have his way the virgin Mary. The Star Wars franchise was already a severely rotten corpse - Nothing J.J. Abrams could do could make it any worse than it already is. As a matter of fact, at his worst he would still deliver a product better than the prequels.

Star Trek '09 was practically already Star Wars, and for what it was it was pretty good. Not the biggest fan of Super 8, but the guy has a directing style that suits Star Wars like a glove. I seriously could not think of a better director for this franchise.

Now Abrams isnt bad, hes just not very good. i guess i enjoyed Star Trek (not mind blowing but fun to watch) but there so many better people like Kenneth Branagh (directed Thor) or Matthew Vaughn (X men First Class) who was rumoured to be it.

MrBaskerville:
Atleast itīs only Star Wars VII and not VIII and IX.

Ive got some bad news for you

Welp. I hope he goes somewhere completely different with it. I know that would piss off the hardcore fans, but whatever. The original Star Wars trilogy was a highly entertaining but extremely silly product of its time. You can't make something too similar to it in the year 2013, it just doesn't work, the nostalgia goggles are not there, everyone's cynical and the silliness would be too distracting.

spartandude:
Now Abrams isnt bad, hes just not very good.

So what you're saying is that things should improve over the last director? (ba dum tish)

He wouldn't be my first choice, but in the absence of Guillermo del Toro, he'll do. I'm more concerned about the script, to tell the truth.

Longstreet:
Now how about, listen up, we wait until the film is fully in production, or even better, out, and THEN make up our minds.

Seriously, the only complaint i've seen so far is lens flare, and you can;t judge that till the movie is out right? (although sunglasses are recommended to be on the save side i guess)

Second, will fans of both franchises really trow a hissy fit over the same director for both? really?

You want more complaints? OK;

Complete ignorance of the source material.
Shitty casting.
Shitty writing.
Constant shaky-cam work.
Shitty design choices.
Simplistic characters.
Taking a franchise that did a solid job of integrating high-concept sci-fi with character drama and even action, then turning it into summer movie popcorn-shlock with all the emotional and ethical depth of a saucer of milk.
Huge gaping cavernous fucking plot holes.

As a fan of both franchises, people who like 'Wars aren't dismayed at the prospect of JJ "Directing? What's that? MOAR LENSFLAREZ!" Abrams because he also directed 'Trek, they're dismayed because he directed 'Trek badly.

It's clear we have quite a few Moviebob fans in here.

JJ Abrams is a great choice. The Star Trek movie was decent, and I can think of no one better to direct a new Star Wars franchise.

I'm kinda mixed on this. He was involved with some stuff I like (Person if Interest, Fringe), but also some shows I thought were not very good (Revolution) or outright bad (Lost). What concerns me more is that I found his Star Trek reboot to be mediocre at best and outright terrible at times (for reasons unrelated to the original movies; it sucked on its own merit).

All in all, I'm not too thrilled about this. He's a TV guy, not a movie guy. Plenty of people who are more qualified for the job. I'm not going to go all "DO NOT WANT!!!" like many people in this thread, but I'm starting to become slightly pessimistic about this whole Star Wars sequel thing...

spartandude:
Now Abrams isnt bad, hes just not very good. i guess i enjoyed Star Trek (not mind blowing but fun to watch) but there so many better people like Kenneth Branagh (directed Thor) or Matthew Vaughn (X men First Class) who was rumoured to be it.

MrBaskerville:
Atleast itīs only Star Wars VII and not VIII and IX.

Ive got some bad news for you

Aww hamburgers :(

I really hope this isn't the case and that this is just rumor bs. The best two Star Wars movies were about characters living in turbulent times within their universe. J.J. Abrams is a spectacle man, much like Spielberg who was also rumored to possibly helm this, and a poor choice for reviving this franchise. I've seen Super 8, and while the characters were believable they lacked something that made them memorable, he was very much aping The Goonies. I guess I can't be surprised or disappointed, I think all of those reactions went dry after Attack of the Clones.

I like J.J. Abrams. I think he can do a good job. But my opinion may not count for much because I also fuckin' love LENS FLARES! I do, seriously.

floppylobster:

SkarKrow:

valium:

I really enjoyed the star trek reboot, sat down my my good friend with a beer and watched it. Was a damn fine movie.

And Zachary Quinto was in it.

What, do you have a crush on him? That's no reason to like a bland action movie masquerading as sci-fi.

I did at the time being a dumb teenager, but he's a pretty good actor, he was great in Heroes.

I honestly just enjoyed the movie, it wasn't anything amazing but it was entertaining and very watchable. I haven't seen the original star trek films and I probably never will, since I'm not big on movies and I very rarely watch them, it's only on rare occasions that I go and rent a film.

I prefer to play games or watch anime, things like that.

I really loved the new Star Trek film and can't wait for the next one, so this is great news to me. I think he's a great director. And guys, lens flare? That's the big complaint you all have? It's SCI-FI!

Oh well, maybe we'll finally see Star Wars Characters with a personality again after more than 30 years of waiting.
And maybe even villains with a motivation, that would be novel.

Even though I don't have as much of an aversion to J.J. Abrams despite the fact that he has a bit of an unhealthy fascination with lens flare, I was disappointed that they didn't chose a newer and more upcoming director to lead Star Wars into a new direction, primarily somebody who doesn't do Sci-Fi or even Action films. Actually the thought of Ben Affleck directing a Star Wars film would intrigue me beyond imagination.. Hm..

I have seen "lens flare" so many times in this thread that I thought I was watching Star Trek 90210 all over again.

TheVampwizimp:
-snip-

Christ, you're right. Still, I think Star Wars (The original series) might have suffered from a few issues like this too.

For example, most of the points brought up in HISHE. Why was there sound in space?

But yeah, from what I just read, especially the black hole right by Earth, the reboot was pretty stupid.

I was hoping along with a lot of people that Disney would take interesting risks with Star Wars. They've basically found the most similar living director to George Lucas so the next films will just be remixes off all the old films. I suppose it doesn't matter either way. I was never a hardcore fan so if the result isn't that good I might just ignore it.

If Disney follows this pattern, they might hire 22 Cans to make a Star Wars videogame, which if nothing else might be funny.

J.J. Abrabs is what they call nowadays "A safe commercial pair of hands" which is a studio euphemism for "We don't care about art"

Grey Carter:

Scarim Coral:
Ok, now I really want to know what made him changed his mind? Seriosuly what made him to decide to go back against his words and sign up to it?

Rhymes with "honey."

Funny? Sunny? Runny? Gummy? Help us out here.

I for one liked the Star Trek reboot

Compare it to the three prequel episodes. With the star trek reboot there's no point where you'd bored, or wondering what's going on...

Magichead:

As a fan of both franchises, people who like 'Wars aren't dismayed at the prospect of JJ "Directing? What's that? MOAR LENSFLAREZ!" Abrams because he also directed 'Trek, they're dismayed because he directed 'Trek badly.

Considering that the film franchise before '09 was 60% bad, the whole franchise was killed by two bad shows and two bad films, I refuse to believe that he defiled sacred ground.

Trust me, Rick Berman saw to killing Star Trek long before Abrams ever got near it.

OT: Well I thought his handling of Star Trek could be better, but I'm waiting for Darkness to make my judgement on this.

OH GOD. PLEASE NO. NOT THE LENS FLARE

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or