Final Fantasy X HD Shows Off Footage

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Daystar Clarion:
Oh wow! An HD remake of Final Fantasy X? That's the best FF ever! - Nobody, ever.

It's like Squeenix don't even listen to people _

Actually, X is one of the most popular FF games ever, and indeed one of the most popular games ever. Unless you don't think being in the top 20 highest selling games ever counts for much.

An FF7 remake is out of the question, but 10 is fine?

It's like they don't like money.

Because FFX is already built using 3D assets which can be upgraded relatively easy, whereas VII is built off of ancient code, primitive polygons and low-res 2D backgrounds, none of which are fit for purpose today. There have been plenty of articles, including ones on this very site, about why a VII remake is actually logistically impossible. It's not just Square talking out of their arse. If you sit down and think about it, FFVII is simply too big a game to be remade to the high standards (ie PS3 tech demo) that fans are demanding.

OT: I thought they were porting everything into the Crystal Engine and using that as a basis for the HD remake? Because while the footage does look nice, it also looks like they took the original engine, beefed up the textures a bit, and upped the resolution. Nice, certainly, but I don't especially see why you'd need two years of development to do that.

I can do most of that via PSX2 0-o And still use a code breaker..... Now if they let you customize stuff from the start I'll pick it up for 20$ If they add twice more stuff to wear and make the game harder (IE more damage is done to you) Then where do I sign up to sell my soul. Also....while FFX is not that great...neither was FF7. FF9 best FF ever!

I enjoyed FFX, but I don't see why it needs a remake, really. I guess they're only doing X because VII and VIII, the two games that were more profitable for them than X, would be a pain in the balls to remake. Path of least resistance to cash.

The Cheezy One:
There are so many great Final Fantasy games deserving of a remake, and we get X? I know people will contest this, but III, IV, VI, VIII, among others, really deserve more attention.

Well, III has already been remade for the DS, IV has been remade repeatedly (a crappy DS version with ugly graphics and bad voice acting, an amazing PSP version with gorgeous graphics). X, X-2, and XII are notable as not being playable on any currently-sold console.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
FFX is already built using 3D assets which can be upgraded relatively easy, whereas VII is built off of ancient code, primitive polygons and low-res 2D backgrounds, none of which are fit for purpose today. There have been plenty of articles, including ones on this very site, about why a VII remake is actually logistically impossible. It's not just Square talking out of their arse. If you sit down and think about it, FFVII is simply too big a game to be remade to the high standards (ie PS3 tech demo) that fans are demanding.

It's not just ancient code. From what I understand from a source who I can guarantee is reliable but I can't name (since I assume he doesn't wanna get fired), Squaresoft wasn't very good at archival and long-term storage, and no longer have the original source code to the game (neither the PS1 version nor the PC version), so it would require a full remake from the ground up. FFX seems more like a HD rerelease in the vein of God of War or Metal Gear Solid 2/3, with very little redone from scratch, most of the code and assets are simply the originals with minimal changes to run and look decent on modern architecture.

P.S. Thanks

Milanezi:
Final Fantasy X... The one that almost got me to quit the whole franchise... With the surfer wanna-be characters and the cry-baby protagonist... I HATE THIS GAME!

As opposed to cry baby Cloud, or cry baby Squall? Did you seriously just say that?

Rapidriots:

Milanezi:
Final Fantasy X... The one that almost got me to quit the whole franchise... With the surfer wanna-be characters and the cry-baby protagonist... I HATE THIS GAME!

As opposed to cry baby Cloud, or cry baby Squall? Did you seriously just say that?

Did I say I liked Cloud or Squall? FF VII and VIII were great due to story, as a matter of fact, as far as characters go, the only FF character I really like is Lightning, because she's so tough she could take Machete head-on! But everything in FF X was hateful to me, the story, the characters, the villains... Urgh... Not to mention it isn't exactly a FF hit at all, why choose IT for an HD treatment (FOR VITA????? Which I was dumb enough to buy)?

Ugh... I didn't even really like this game. Please remake VI, VII, or VII. Those are the only games we really care about in this awful series.

The Cheezy One:
There are so many great Final Fantasy games deserving of a remake, and we get X? I know people will contest this, but III, IV, VI, VIII, among others, really deserve more attention.

To be fair, it seems more like an enhanced version than a remake. FF 1-6 already got several enhanced versions for several consoles, including PS1, DS, and PSP.

I still agree with the fact that the choice of FF10 is odd, since it's definitely not the best of the series.

Huh, its nice to see this game being around at least. I actually almost sort of forgot about it.

Liked FFX a lot, but from just the video, I can' see that much of a difference. Until Square releases a trailer showing various footage instead of just character models, I'll hold of judgement on how good/bad of a HD this is.

I don't really plan on buying it though, unless it become super cheap as the years go on or something. Though I do think its a good idea putting this on both the Vita and PS3. Vita needs some more love.

Yeah...I'm literally staring at my PS2 copy of the game as I type this, and if I really wanted to play the game again I think I rather shell out the money to fix my PS2. They really need a lot more then a minor graphics upgrade to get me to buy this again, like optional languages, difficulty, costume choices, etc etc. Otherwise I think I'll pass.

Shit, I thought they dropped this awhile ago into vaporware town like KH3 and Versus 13. Glad it may eventually see the light of day.
*Quickly grabs a flame shield* FFX is my favorite Final Fantasy, I actually hated 7 and 8, but I liked 1 and 3 though and haven't yet attempted 6 or 9. I don't know why this needed an HD remake though, it looked perfectly fine enough even now when I last played it on my ps2 a few months ago. I think they should have just ported the damn thing instead of wasting their time redoing it in HD

VanQQisH:
Eww, that's possibly definitely my least favorite Final Fantasy and that's saying something. Are they going to fix that dub? I can't imagine many people want to suffer through that laugh scene in HD.

I will never understand this point. The only way the laughing scene could be taken as bad is if you didnt understand the context of it.

ShadowKatt:
Okay...and?

Several points. First off, FFX looked FINE when it came out on the PS2. Quite honestly, it doesn't even look that much better in HD with the exception of some smoothed lines. You're trying to impress, and failing at it.

Secondly, you're remaking FFX and you're putting it on a handheld. Tell me, are you just going to start putting all your games on handhelds now? You've already abandoned the console with your Kingdom Hearts series to pump out a ton of cheap handheld titles, now you're going to do the same with Final Fantasy? I guess we'll see if you follow through to put it on the main console.

And thirdly, I can't believe they're still doing this. Instead of making a new game, they're making an HD version of one they've already made. And instead of making an HD remake of the one game all the fans are clamoring for, they picked one that NO one wanted remade. It's almost as if they are actively sabotaging their own company.

*applause* too bloody true. I'd add forthly, if they want to do a remake then for fucks sake remake one that 1) In some way adds to the experience by being remade (i.e not just a quick spitshine of the graphics) and 2) is worth remaking, 6 and 7 spring to mind for both categories.

Amethyst Wind:
They should have trolled all the fans by having the tech demo for the new graphics be the laughing scene.

They redo the voicework or give me an option to cop out into the japanese dub, or i'm not buying squat (imlying one purchaser makes a real difference in the square fiscal plan)

Eeeeehhhhhhhhh...

No offense to the people who like FFX but... yeah, I really couldn't care less about that game. Give me a version of VI with updated visuals, a proper translation and the option to choose the original SNES soundtrack and then I would be interested.

Daystar Clarion:
Oh wow! An HD remake of Final Fantasy X? That's the best FF ever! - Nobody, ever.

It's like Squeenix don't even listen to people _

Hey I said that! FFX is easily my favorite FF game ever! D:

Gonna be honest here, not seeing a meaningful difference.

the original looks better on my pc with graphics turned up. really what did they do, enable anti-aliasing and call it a day?

First off: Everyone saying that they can't see a major difference between this and the original version MAY want to get their eyes checked. I played the SHIT out of the original back in the day, and I can say with certainty that there is definitely improvement from my perspective. But, moreover, this is going to be on a HANDHELD, not a full HD display. Get it in-hand, and I'm sure it'll look better than these brief shots of character models implys.

With that out of the way, let me just say: I'M THROWING MY MONEY AT THE SCREEN, BUT NOTHING IS HAPPENING!

...ahem, let me rephrase that. Final Fantasy X is my personal favorite in the series, and the chance to finally get to play it again sounds great to me.

I don't own a Vita, but with this and Persona 4 Golden, I think I just might splurg and finally buy one.

And finally, let me add this: Auron doesn't care if you think Tidus is whiny and Wakka is annoying. The only thing Auron cares about is kicking ass.

I'd get this, I enjoyed FFX a lot. Tidus being whiny is a decent reason, and to be honest, he's actually quite pumped for a lot of his trip over Spira. I'd probably pick this up for the PS3, can;t really splurg too much for a Vita. It's be like me splurging on a WiiU just for SMT X Fire Emblem...

...which would be worth it ;_;

I love FFVII, I really enjoyed FFVIII, I couldn't stand the visuals of FFIX, I love FFX, I thoroughly enjoyed FFXII. Now you know my stance on these, lets move on to the other stuff.

I was very excited when I heard about this. I wanted to reserve my copy that very day. That being said, this was underwhelming. I was hoping for more. If this is any indication of the final product then Square has a big decision to make. What's this gonna run me? At the moment I do not own a PS2. So... will I find it more cost efficient to buy a PS2, a copy of FFX, a copy of FFXII, and a memory card? Or will the be priced reasonably enough that I can bypass the PS2 entirely?

Does this look better than the PS2 version? Absolutely! By enough? Absolutely not. If I still had my PS2 and they released it looking like this I'd stick with the copy I had.

Be nice if they did for this game what they did with the GBA FF games and added in a little extra content along with the graphical touch-up. A Hard Mode or an extra challenge always makes a game worth another bash.

The Cheezy One:

Not many people would agree with you mentioning VIII...I however do agree!

---

As much as I like Final Fantasy X, I already own a copy on the PS2...and beat it last summer with plans to revisit it at some point in the near future (probably when the remake is out). I don't really have any incentive to pick up the HD version and if I were to grab it, I would definitely grab the console version over the Vita one.

I'd rather they remade Mystic Quest in a similar way as they did 3 and 4 on the DS.

I'm perfectly contempt with the PS2 version to be honest. I've been playing it lately and this "HD" version doesn't look too different. Smoother edges but nothing is crystal clear.

Not gonna get me to buy a Vita or a PS3 that's for sure. I'd rather take the time to get it running on my PC, but like I already said, I'm contempt with the PS2 graphics.

And no matter how many people hold their hands over their ears and say no one likes or wanted this game, there will always be a group of people that like anything. Get real.

2HF:
I love FFVII, I really enjoyed FFVIII, I couldn't stand the visuals of FFIX, I love FFX, I thoroughly enjoyed FFXII. Now you know my stance on these, lets move on to the other stuff.

I was very excited when I heard about this. I wanted to reserve my copy that very day. That being said, this was underwhelming. I was hoping for more. If this is any indication of the final product then Square has a big decision to make. What's this gonna run me? At the moment I do not own a PS2. So... will I find it more cost efficient to buy a PS2, a copy of FFX, a copy of FFXII, and a memory card? Or will the be priced reasonably enough that I can bypass the PS2 entirely?

Does this look better than the PS2 version? Absolutely! By enough? Absolutely not. If I still had my PS2 and they released it looking like this I'd stick with the copy I had.

Unfortunately for you, a PS2 will set you back quite considerably nowadays. Better off buying the remake for the PS3 (assuming you have one).

Daystar Clarion:

Well the thing is, if they were to remake FF7, they'll have to redesign the game and put, dare I say, effort into it.
I mean, why work hard on a good game when you can just take one old game, spit on it, polish it a little and then throw it at the fans who will buy it without questions? Its easier money, simple as that.

Given some of the monumentally stupid choies Square Eniz makes, I am surprised they are still in business.

I mean, I hate what they have done to the recent FF games. Lightning is a character I cannot comprehend other than being the offspring between Cloud and Terra. And the fact that she is involved in her own trilogy is mortifying.

The 'characters' in FFXIII were so painful and I hate how the almighty summons are things you can ride, which is incredibly creepy when Hope rides the Twins!?!??

I am excited for FFX for one reason. Blitzball. That would be a great game in and of itself.

Kingdom Hearts HD needs to come out sooner rather than later.

I am more excited for FF6 to make it to HD than FF7.

VoidWanderer:

I am excited for FFX for one reason. Blitzball. That would be a great game in and of itself.

Oh crap forgot about Blitzball, for some reason I absolutely loved Blitzball. I only hope I'm strong enough to resist the pull of Blitzball in HD......

CardinalPiggles:
Unfortunately for you, a PS2 will set you back quite considerably nowadays. Better off buying the remake for the PS3 (assuming you have one).

Untrue. $50 at gamestop is the most one ever need pay. It took me all of 2 minutes to find a PS2 with games, GH controllers, and memory cards for $30 on craigslist.

So if Sony decides "hey, $60 cause fuck yous guyses" I'd still be better off with a $50 console, and a $10-$15 copy of FFX cause GTAIII, GTAVC, Splinter Cell, FFXII, and countless others that are worth playing.

If FFXHD launches at $20, maybe even $30, I'll pick it up. If it's $40ish I'll wait for a sale. Anything higher and I'm probably better off with a PS2.

THIS IS ALL ASSUMING THE FINAL PRODUCT LOOKS LIKE THE VIDEO. If it looks remarkably different that I might spring for the HD version. I know I'll get my money's worth.

"Why make this HD and not FF7!?" Because making this HD is just adding newer models and upping texture quality, FF7 HD would be a completely new game from the ground up in everything but story. Relatively few people using relatively few resources to make a game that will sell very well as much as people gnash their teeth at it for the crime of not being FF7, vs basically making a brand new game from scratch.

As much as i would kill puppies for a HD remake of 9, I know it's more effort than they are likely to risk.

Daystar Clarion:

No, I think it more that they like staying alive, it might make the fan tense, but at least it prevent the slightest mistake that would trigger the fan base into using the black materia.

Danial:
-snip-

Totally agree, the reason for this is that it was far easier to bump X's graphics up to HD rather than do a complete remake of an earlier ff title. Although it's conceivable that they could re-use assets from the various ff7 offshoots if they remade that particular title.

As much as I would rather they remade another title (cough, Xenogears, cough), at least it isn't another ATB.

The only one I enjoyed, might get a PS3 for this and the blu-ray player.

FFX was the first FF game I didn't buy, though I rented it twice. I even dodged the lightning 200 times for Lulu's weapon.

It wasn't the first one I didn't like though. I hated 7, liked 8, and 9 was utterly forgettable to me though I liked Vivi and Beatrix.

And I bought and liked FFX-2 for some reason even though I barely even finished it.

So of all the games in their catalogue they choose FFX, and I am not excited. I mean I'd love HD Lulu, Rikku, and Auron as I used them exclusively, but the reason I didn't buy the game is that it just had zero replayability to me. Once you have gone from point A to B and dinked around getting weapons thats pretty much it. That I hated blitzball, the spheregrid, the storyline, and most of the characters also didn't help.

I want, possibly more than anything else from SE, is an HD remake of Vagrant Story. Second would be a new FF Tactics, or a 3DS port of the original.

keiji_Maeda:

Amethyst Wind:
They should have trolled all the fans by having the tech demo for the new graphics be the laughing scene.

They redo the voicework or give me an option to cop out into the japanese dub, or i'm not buying squat (imlying one purchaser makes a real difference in the square fiscal plan)

Seriously, the context is that they're miserable and trying to force themselves to laugh to try and feel better. They laugh normally immediately after.

There are so many examples of genuinely bad voice acting in the game, I don't understand why this scene gets picked on.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here