Gearbox President: "I Have Always Profited From Criticism"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

This guy would make a great politician, 'cause he seems really good a skirting around the issue without actually addressing it.

N3squ1ck:

Oh no, I really liked Gearbox and Mr. Pitchford, how did it come to that.
All that stuff that bubbles up lately just kills my liking for them alltogether

Indeed,before Borderlands 2 launched,i thought Pitchford was a pretty cool guy,then he started dismissing complaints about Borderlands 2 by saying "the team likes them"(i am talking about the horrible droprates and horribly designed new game plus),then this happens

Ill still get Borderlands 3,but i wont be happy the money went to Gearbox

This is "being careful" for Pitchford? Yikes.

There's a right way and a wrong way for businesses to respond to criticism of a product. Criticizing back is not what you would call "the right way." Do what I do, Pitchford, and express your frustration by being sarcastic and passive aggressive towards random people on the Internet under an ANONYMOUS name.

He wouldn't know how to take criticism if he was lobotomised and handed a manual on the subject. When DNF got bad reviews he just started straight-up threatening review outlets.

Karoshi:
Whatever you think about Pritchford, he is damn eloquent and handling himself better than many companies (looking at Bioware and couple others).

Yeah, he's doing a great job of playing the victim.

I really, really hope Randy means is that they're going to look it, try to fix what they can through patches and what they can't through a sequel.

I really, really don't think that is actually what he means.

This is my reaction to hearing the news:

It's fair to say that I did not like what he had to say T_T

I remember watching some developer diaries for BIA: Hell's Highway narrated by Randy and a military consultant/historian. I kept thinking of how much of a clueless d-bag Randy was being and how this straight-laced military type could possibly stand being in the same room as him for more than a few minutes.

These recent events and Randy's personal responses confirm my suspicions; the man is clearly a talentless vapid yuppie. If he had any class he would address the issue at hand somewhat frankly, instead we get a vague self-reflection that sounds like a sound bite from an after-school special. Oh, as well as some passive-aggressive and rather personal shot at Jim Sterling, nice.

I'll definitely be buying products from Gearbox in the future! What a model business! :)

Ronin Toshiro:
Too all the people who are calling AC:M bad. Do not be so entitled the MP side of the game is VERY good. they never promised anything of a good story for the SP only that it would become EPIC.

This whole thing reminds me of another company/publisher who did the same thing with not keeping promises and delivering a completely different game then showed...

For the record, I have never played this game, and probably never will.....But.....

Who gives a shit about the multiplayer! The multiplayer doesn't have a plot tied to one of the most well known Sci-fi Horror franchises known to mankind. Multiplayer has become the developers way of covering their ass when they know their Singleplayer sucks (COD I'm looking at you). Multiplayer needs to go back to being that sticky note on the last page of a games story bible and it should read "Oh, and there is multiplayer too."

Ronin Toshiro:
Too all the people who are calling AC:M bad. Do not be so entitled the MP side of the game is VERY good. they never promised anything of a good story for the SP only that it would become EPIC.

This whole thing reminds me of another company/publisher who did the same thing with not keeping promises and delivering a completely different game then showed...

You expected a game you paid CASH for to be GOOD?????!?!?!?

You entitled whiners, we should allow our glorious game dev overlords to piss down our throats with their glory!!!

And yes, they DID state SEVERAL times that the SP would be good, research before you speak.

Ronin Toshiro:

"You entitled pricks, you shouldn't be annoyed that the game they showcased had entire sections removed before they sold it without telling any of you. I mean, its not like you paid a large amount of money for it or anything, why are you so annoyed?".

Do you realise how backwards that argument is? Damn its hard to hold back the insults sometimes.

He's never in short supply of criticism because Gearbox is always releasing crappy game! HAR HAR HAR.

I'll show myself out.

Oh dear, Randy, you'd think you would've learned after Duke Forever collapsed the way it did, even though you have to concede Gearbox probably had very little to do with that. At least he's magnanimous enough to admit he learns something from criticism, most company bosses don't even go That far. Same time, a trouble 6-year development cycle? Not that I'm making excuses on behalf of a dev team when they've just farted out a game that's been This badly received, but maybe that's suffered from similar pitfalls? Maybe more than just the start of the dev period came from 2006, is all I'm saying...
CAPTCHA: chin boy... Now that just makes zero sense, C'mon now.

I think this basically translates to: "HA! You activated my trap card!" And then he runs away with everyone's money.

Addendum: "...but never before have I profited from a game I did not actually make."

It's a damn shame. I really like Randy and Gearbox before this... but they are handling it so poorly. Just admit you made a bad game and say you are going to do your best to fix. Don't sit there and say criticism is cool as long as it's positive (basically his entire Twitter feed since this began). Don't act all like, "oh, I think it's awesome". Just say the truth and move on from it. Commit your studio to fixing your fuckup instead of making excuses. Or say you aren't going to fix it and let everyone move on.

Karoshi:
Whatever you think about Pritchford, he is damn eloquent and handling himself better than many companies (looking at Bioware and couple others).

By the way, I always considered the rule "The customer is always right" to be pretty stupid. Developers should be able talk back to customers, even if in a more polite and level-headed manner.

That's a term not to be taken literally, it's a phrase that essentially means if your berate your customer as being wrong... they won't be your customer, they they won't give you either their time or their money. Or make them wish they hadn't.

Randy Pitchford:
"It appears you would rather show boat publicly for attention."

Yeah... that's his job.

Randy, are you doing YOUR job of quality assurance? Or is your job deceptive marketing?

Shadow-Phoenix:
You know what's really sad about this whole Aliens Colonial Marines being so shit?.

It's this comparison video that explains it all clear as day, crystal clear.

That makes it pretty unequivocal. Aliens Vs Predator was not a great game, but from 3 years ago being so much better... platitudes like "glass half full" approach ain't going to answer for this.

As an avid Aliens fan, I cannot express how deeply mortified I was with the product that was Aliens: Colonial Marines. They pitched what sounded like a fantastic tribute to a beloved franchise, and then -

I'm going to stop there to be polite to everyone here, and to avoid breaking every single forum rule in a single sentence.

The one thing A:CM did do for me, however, was give me a new found appreciation for the 2010 AvP game which, playing it again now to wash the stink of A:CM out of my eyes, wasn't so bad.

He responded with a stupid meme? What is wrong with all these devs?

I'm hoping he doesn't want to talk about it publicly because of anxiety.

Shadow-Phoenix:
You know what's really sad about this whole Aliens Colonial Marines being so shit?.

It's this comparison video that explains it all clear as day, crystal clear.

In all honesty that's more damming than the demo comparison videos

This is honestly weird. Borderlands 2 shows all the signs of a good, polished title that was treated with interest, care and respect. I remember Randy Pitchford handling PR for Borderlands 2 fairly well.

Then we get this?

So, what? Is Gearbox bipolar? Does it have alters or go through transitions la "United States of Tara"?

Raiyan 1.0:

Karoshi:

How is accusing critics of 'showboating' being eloquent?

OT: Sterling earns yet another developer's ire, and my respect.

To be fair he is accusing Sterling of showboating.
I love Jim and his show but I do have to say that Pritchford isn't wrong in that regard.

To me he sounds more frustrated that Sterling didn't contact him first with questions about why it turned out the way it did and just went on to create his video on Aliens: CM. Don't get me wrong Jims A-lie-ns video was perfectly justified and I agree with almost everything in the video but I do understand the tone that Pritchford is taking.

IamLEAM1983:
This is honestly weird. Borderlands 2 shows all the signs of a good, polished title that was treated with interest, care and respect. I remember Randy Pitchford handling PR for Borderlands 2 fairly well.

Then we get this?

So, what? Is Gearbox bipolar? Does it have alters or go through transitions la "United States of Tara"?

Unlike a lot of people in this thread, Im not surprised Aliens is bad. Its been in development for 10 years, changed dev teams multiple times and ton of other stuff.

What other game did that..oh thats right..DNF. On top of that its completely likely that Gearbox did just the MP and handed the SP off to a third party or something.

Who gives a shit if Jim was showboating? It doesn't invalidate his argument and it doesn't change the fact that Gearbox lied to their customers. By attacking Jim's person, rather than his argument, Pitchford shows just how wrong he knows he is. Randy should take a lesson a lesson from the WarZ fiasco - falsely advertise your game, and people are going to get pissed.

"I only want positive feelings with my personal twitter account" Pfft. Welcome to being in the public eye, asshole. Get comfy. I can't wait for the next Jimquisition.

He should change his last naem to Pichfork, he acts like it.

Also at least he saw Jims rage :P
Also he wants Jim Sterling not to showboat? Jim Sterling? He is the definition of showboating.

You may profit from criticism, after all, this is free publicity, but you do not learn from it, as proven many times.

"I profit from criticism."

Oh, so that's why you made a game for which only criticism can be offered. Now I see.

Cpu46:

Raiyan 1.0:

Karoshi:

I love Jim and his show but I do have to say that Pritchford isn't wrong in that regard.

To me he sounds more frustrated that Sterling didn't contact him first with questions about why it turned out the way it did and just went on to create his video on Aliens: CM. Don't get me wrong Jims A-lie-ns video was perfectly justified and I agree with almost everything in the video but I do understand the tone that Pritchford is taking.

That's the thing about Jim. He's not going to consult with the developer or the publisher before tackling their anti-consumer behavior. In fact, I believe he is doing it at his own expense, since I can't see Gearbox being too enthusiastic about giving his publication exclusives in the future, not to mention Jim genuinely seems to like Randy. Same with Konami - he loves their games, but because of his criticisms, he's banned from their press conferences or something the last I heard. Was he being boisterous and outspoken about a certain shady industry practice? You bet, and that's exactly what we need in the post-Doritosgate industry.

Looking back, it's kind of funny how I raged about Jimquisition when it started and was asking the site to boot him out.

I want to like randy, but he just keeps making mistakes, its a shame in all his interviews he seems so innocent and passionate, ah Screw it Im going to be intentionally naive and think that he is innocent and passionate.

He profits, but the consumer doesn't.

The tragedy of colonial marines is that it is obvious to see that at least the PR people knew EXACTLY what we wanted, but the finished product have so little of it.

Pat8u:
I want to like randy, but he just keeps making mistakes, its a shame in all his interviews he seems so innocent and passionate, ah Screw it Im going to be intentionally naive and think that he is innocent and passionate.

"Intentionally nave"?

There's a word for that, "delusional"

DVS BSTrD:
Just goes to show what I've suspected all a long: all Randy cares about is profit!

If that's true, he's not a very smart dude. You would think if you only cared about profit you would make the best possible game you can, not a sabotaged one which has put off tons of potential customers through incredibly bad public reception.

Cpu46:

Raiyan 1.0:

Karoshi:

but the thing is, what Gearbox are basically doing is they#re trying to rake in as many sales as possible, before people realise the game is crud. They release a deceptive demo, hold back the reviews and now the game is out and the word is getting around they ask the people calling it out as crud to 'talk personally with them'. When you're actively trying to slash and burn to get some money, you've lost the right to have a personal question with you because they're relying on selling games before people go public with stuff like this.

Good for Jim, without the guys blowing the whistle loudly so we can all see, these companies would get away with essentially what amounts to fraud, false advertising and flat out lies. The dodgy business practices of the early 2000's have got to GO!

Akalabeth:
Sterling didn't contrast the game and the demo, he simply showed the demo and derided the game. I found the video fairly useless quite frankly because not seeing the game itself I've nothing but his word to know that it differs greatly. And to say that something from the demo is not in the game does not prove the game itself is lacking, it's simply saying it's different.

Half Life's demo differed greatly from the game. But it was still a decent game.
Fear's demo differed from the game. But it was still a decent game.

If the aliens have better AI in the demo then show me an example.

etcetera

This is what people refer to when they speak of entitlement. You are acting as though you are entitled to receive all of the relevant information without having to work for it. I saw the same video you did, and had similar questions afterwards. The difference being the video encouraged me to investigate for myself, and the video looks as though it encouraged you to want something you didn't get.

As for your comments about Half Life and Fear's demos, I don't see how that is actually relevant. Jim said through out the video that it was a vertical slice, what he was on about is how the environments changed so much from the video to the released game, and for the worse at that. You don't make an amazing set piece and then throw it away to make a new worse looking one. That would be counter productive and pointless. The fact is those set pieces were fabricated just for the gameplay demo, but gearbox can cover its ass with bullshit excuses to keep them clear of false advertising claims. Our only hope for retribution is from Sega, since some of the A:CM funds were misappropriated to be used on Boarderlands.

Terramax:
He profits, but the consumer doesn't.

Truly this is the generation of "Fuck you, buy our product"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook