The New WarCry Gives You a Top-Down View on MMOs

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The New WarCry Gives You a Top-Down View on MMOs

The completely rebuilt WarCry.com lets you check out all the MMOs out there.

In the beginning, Lord British created Ultima Online and it was good. EverQuest followed and Dark Age of Camelot, City of Heroes and EVE Online were born. Then came World of Warcraft, and suddenly every publisher great and small tried to copy its gameplay and its huge subscriber base. That didn't work out exactly, but MMOs didn't go away, they just changed. Free to play models began, and player behavior shifted. With Neverwinter, Elder Scrolls Online and whatever Blizzard is cooking up with Titan, we are entering the next Golden Age of MMOs.

WarCry has adapted to give you perspective on this new MMO landscape. Back in the early 2000s, WarCry was a leading voice in the discussion of the emergent genre. Now the website has been completely rebuilt with a focus on finding the right MMO for you. Everyone has different gaming preferences, and you can dial in on game that tickles all your MMO tastebuds. Would you like a modern fantasy game without all those orcs and trolls, or a game with steampunk elements, or a game you can play in your browser while you're at Grandma's house? You can find it at WarCry.com.

There are more than 300 MMOs listed in the WarCry Codex, with more being added every day. All the relevant details about what makes an MMO unique can be found on WarCry, and you can check out screenshots and trailers to see if you like a game's visual style. WarCry will feature news and reviews of current MMOs, and we'll be heading out to press events and conventions to preview upcoming MMOs you're pumped about like Marvel Heroes as well as some you may not have heard about yet. I'm looking at you, Wildstar.

It's tough to play MMOs with expensive subscription fees and that's why WarCry can help you find a game to play without maxing out your credit card. We've lined up tons of great giveaways for beta keys as well as free in-game items and currency which you can find here. You can even head to the Free Games page to play all the games in WarCry Codex with free trials or free to play clients. It's totally possible to play MMOs on a budget and you can find out how on WarCry.

I'm excited to bring you the new WarCry, and expand the audience for the kind of immersive worlds I love to play. We'll be rolling out previews and fresh MMO content daily, and there will always be new giveaways and offers from partners like Red 5 Studios, Perfect World and Blizzard coming to you on WarCry.com.

Come check out WarCry to find your game.

Greg Tito
Managing Editor
WarCry.com

Cool. I thought War Cry was gone for good. It's great that its got a new look and focus. I'll have to give it a try out.

Well, that's taking necroing to a whole new level.

I'm not that much into MMOs, but I'll check it out. I'm kinda interested what you guys made of it.

I'm genuinely afraid to click on the link for fear of falling into an elaborate April Fools ruse.

Worst day to start a site.

Yeah, perhaps not the best day to set up something new, but we're really excited about bringing WarCry to you guys and couldn't wait another second.

I assure you it's not a joke. :)

Greg Tito:
Yeah, perhaps not the best day to set up something new, but we're really excited about bringing WarCry to you guys and couldn't wait another second.

I assure you it's not a joke. :)

I forget. What was WarCry originally for?

OT: This is pretty good timing for me. I've been looking for an MMO to play recently, but I haven't been able to find anything I actually want to play.

So in becoming the managing editor of Warcry, are you stepping aside from your current position at The Escapist, or are you also staying on full-time here?

WarCry was originally a place to learn about all the current and upcoming MMOs out there, as well as a hub for MMO user-generated content. It lay fallow for a few years, but is now reborn to return its focus to helping you find your game.

I like the new look and focus :D
Glad to see the site has been given another chance. I always felt bad for it after the spambots took over.

Yeeeep, way too elaborate to be an April Fool. In which case: that's pretty kickass. Last time I wandered over there it was a wasteland of spambots and sadness, now it's looking really nice. Good work guys.

UNHchabo:
So in becoming the managing editor of Warcry, are you stepping aside from your current position at The Escapist, or are you also staying on full-time here?

I've been working on WarCry a lot lately, but I'll still be around to work on Escapist stuff like the Expo and record the podcasts. I'm not going anywhere :)

Greg

Considering the s***storm that just overtook my MMO this weekend, I feel like this is a sign. LOL. Thanks for providing a place to go hunting again.

Can't say I'll actually use it much, considering I'm not an MMO fan, but it's good to see it come back from the state of disrepair it was basically in before.

And I did like the way it had a forum for each game (at least I think it did), that was a good idea.

April fools or not, I can't imagine the few old curmudgeons still hanging on to those forums are going to be happy about this. I remember just how annoyed they got when Daystar tried to revive them last year.

I hope it's not an April Fool's joke, by the way. I can't imagine that site has done anything but lose money since it stopped getting new content.

I was curious... then I clicked on a link and got sent to another site, way to hide outside links amongst the warcry links...referrals eh ?
Pity the Age of Wushu isnt available in the UK, or at least Popmog isnt offering it or you may of got a hit, shame.

I dont trust sites that take you away to other sites with no warning, that was my own fault though as I trusted content advertised and managed by a Escapist editor... wont be so trusting in the future.

Good to see that site arise from the grave and also bonus point for putting Dofus on the front page! Mind you I never played the game but I'm a fan of Wakfu!

I'm wounded that of the first few mass-market MMORPGs, the only one you didn't mention was the one I worked on: Asheron's Call. Like its first-generational peers, it's still running while many johnny-come-latelys have been closed by publishers for not making "enough" money.

I still remember when Crossroads of Dereth moved into the WarCry network...

Stormwaltz:
I'm wounded that of the first few mass-market MMORPGs, the only one you didn't mention was the one I worked on: Asheron's Call. Like its first-generational peers, it's still running while many johnny-come-latelys have been closed by publishers for not making "enough" money.

I still remember when Crossroads of Dereth moved into the WarCry network...

You know that's funny. I'd forgotten AC was still kicking mostly because I remember vividly when Turbine shut down AC2. Now I find out that AC2 is being revived for AC1 players. We'll definitely start covering both games on WarCry.

ASnogarD:
I was curious... then I clicked on a link and got sent to another site, way to hide outside links amongst the warcry links...referrals eh ?
Pity the Age of Wushu isnt available in the UK, or at least Popmog isnt offering it or you may of got a hit, shame.

I dont trust sites that take you away to other sites with no warning, that was my own fault though as I trusted content advertised and managed by a Escapist editor... wont be so trusting in the future.

I'm sorry you felt misled. We definitely have a lot of content that will point you to the MMO you might want to play. Age of Wushu isn't even out yet, it releases on April 10th in the US, so you might want to try again then.

Warcry is loading really slowly.

I am really digging this new site. I frequent sites like MMOBomb, MMORPG.com and (when I absolutely have to) MMOHut. This will make a nice addition to my MMO searching databases.

Jhereg42:
Considering the s***storm that just overtook my MMO this weekend, I feel like this is a sign. LOL. Thanks for providing a place to go hunting again.

That MMO wouldn't happen to be Mabinogi would it? :P

I died a bit (in a good way) when I saw the entry for Myst Online. It's... technically accurate, if a bit bare-bones. ;P

Owyn_Merrilin:
April fools or not, I can't imagine the few old curmudgeons still hanging on to those forums are going to be happy about this. I remember just how annoyed they got when Daystar tried to revive them last year.

I hope it's not an April Fool's joke, by the way. I can't imagine that site has done anything but lose money since it stopped getting new content.

They're going to be VERY upset indeed, as there appear to be no more forums. All comments are placed at the bottom of the article, in User Group format.

Ah well, they can come join us whippersnappers. :D

And it's not a joke. I'm very surprised at how complete it all feels already on day one. It's kind of eerie, actually. There was way too much work put into this for it to be a prank.

lacktheknack:

And it's not a joke. I'm very surprised at how complete it all feels already on day one. It's kind of eerie, actually. There was way too much work put into this for it to be a prank.

Pretty much this, I was expecting a bare bones, barely functioning website to function as pranks, but was surprised to find the sleek website you've created. Nice to see you've breathed life into the old website I'll definitely make sure to investigate it fully since I've always wanted to play MMOs but being primary a console gamer I've never had a place to see which one(s) I'd enjoy.

couldn't find realm of the mad god on the site

Atlys:
I am really digging this new site. I frequent sites like MMOBomb, MMORPG.com and (when I absolutely have to) MMOHut. This will make a nice addition to my MMO searching databases.

Jhereg42:

Nah, Forsaken World. They released a high value CS pack for a fraction of the cost (Fat fingered the sale price from ~850 CS currency to 20 CS currency) on Saturday and the entire community went wild on them. Once they realized the error they took the servers down for 9+ hours on Sunday and rolled the whole thing back to last Friday before the sale. The whole holiday weekend's activity was lost in the process. to make up for it after the roll back, they released a "we're sorry" gift code that was kinda nice. . . but underestimated the power of an angry group of gamers. They found a way to exploit the gift pack in the morning and continued to do so until the GMs woke up on the west coast.

Things are calming down in game at least, but the game forums are still a toxic mess of rage and stupidity. I actually really feel bad for the GMs trying to sort this out.

Perfect timing Greg, I've been looking for a new game for me and my friends to play online and then this goes up.
I'll be checking it out a bit more thoroughly in the morning.

Jhereg42:

Atlys:

Jhereg42:

Nah, Forsaken World. They released a high value CS pack for a fraction of the cost (Fat fingered the sale price from ~850 CS currency to 20 CS currency) on Saturday and the entire community went wild on them. Once they realized the error they took the servers down for 9+ hours on Sunday and rolled the whole thing back to last Friday before the sale. The whole holiday weekend's activity was lost in the process. to make up for it after the roll back, they released a "we're sorry" gift code that was kinda nice. . . but underestimated the power of an angry group of gamers. They found a way to exploit the gift pack in the morning and continued to do so until the GMs woke up on the west coast.

Things are calming down in game at least, but the game forums are still a toxic mess of rage and stupidity. I actually really feel bad for the GMs trying to sort this out.

Wow that really does sound like a mess. I hope they can get that sorted out, but it is nice to see that the GMs are trying to make it up to everyone for the loss of a weekend. One little typo and a world can come crashing down.

Blazing Steel:

lacktheknack:

Pretty much this, I was expecting a bare bones, barely functioning website to function as pranks, but was surprised to find the sleek website you've created. Nice to see you've breathed life into the old website I'll definitely make sure to investigate it fully since I've always wanted to play MMOs but being primary a console gamer I've never had a place to see which one(s) I'd enjoy.

Thanks guys! It definitely was a flurry of work to get this all together. Would you believe me if I told we did it all in less than 3 months? Yeah, I wouldn't believe it either. :)

Site is pretty borked. Want to look at the second page of a category? Have fun with your non-functional links that just point you to # on the current page. Too much focus on pretty pictures, not enough on basic page functionality. The big-picture objective is pretty enough, but you have to implement it competently if you want anyone to jump on board.

Terragent:
Site is pretty borked. Want to look at the second page of a category? Have fun with your non-functional links that just point you to # on the current page. Too much focus on pretty pictures, not enough on basic page functionality. The big-picture objective is pretty enough, but you have to implement it competently if you want anyone to jump on board.

Pretty much this. Site is borked, maybe you should leave the bragging in till after you actually have a functioning site.

I was checking out my favourite MMO, Ragnarok Online, but some of the information on the game was inaccurate and it didn't really have much to say about the meat of the gameplay that would make you want to pick it over other games. It doesn't really indicate that the game is I kind of wish the pages for the games went more in-depth about how the game plays and not just what content is present. Even knowing that not every game can be played by the site staff, surely there is a way to get more information from the game operators. Using RO as an example, the most compelling reason to play is that you have complete control over how to build your character; not a single stat point or skill is decided for you automatically, but there is no indication that this is even a feature (despite being the core feature!) of the game.

Im really not that into MMOs but I would like some sort of questionare as a way of narrowing down the games to a handful of choices. I understand that would take a considerable amount of effort involved catagorising every MMO, but something like that would be a really amazing tool for new MMO players and someone moving onto their next game.

Is it me or is this a escapist site

There's some nice descriptions for each game, and it's handy with a collection of basic information.

I see an opportunity for you to add some screenshots of your own with actual gameplay. Most MMO publishers create screenshots that are really just setpieces with the UI removed. Having screenshots with typical gameplay and the UI showing can be very telling.

Speaking of screenshots, the links to the full galleries results in a 404. For instance http://www.warcry.com/codex/gallery/564

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here