Thief Teaser Steps Out of the Shadows

Pages PREV 1 2

... I think I actually like this new voice actor.

*gets out the flame shields*

Kargathia:
... I think I actually like this new voice actor.

*gets out the flame shields*

I don't think the new VA is bad, he' doing a good job. But it feels like something is out of place. Like Daniel Craig might be a good actor, but I don't want him playing Indiana Jones.

GameMaNiAC:
Of course his voice is a 'thing'! You almost never see his face in the first three games, and the only attachment to him comes from his sarcastic and witty comments about various situations. The voice is the only thing that defines him.

Are you implying that he can't make witty comments or be sarcastic with another voice?
If the new guy is doing a good job then there is little to complain.

GameMaNiAC:
Devil May Cry, Diablo, Splinter Cell, Duke Nukem, Warcraft, Call Of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect and now Thief. Which series will developers ruin next? Tune in next week to find out!

Because having a different voice actor makes a decent game automatically bad...

God. Damn. It.
Of all the shit decisions, this is what they do? The smooth voice of Garrett that caused instant gender spanning love is not gone.

YE CRUEL BEASTS

Ishigami:
And Glynnis Talken Campbell voiced Kerrigan before she was replaced with Tricia Helfer in SC2.
Is now every voice actor change worthy of a drama?
I seriously didn't know the voice of Garrett was a "thing". - Sorry Russell I could not care less.

People apparently get hooked so much on the 3 seconds of action yet avoiding the guard and observing the loot does bypass them. "Without sneaking"? - Well there it was duh...

Everything about this game looks good to me thus far.

Kerrigan doesn't have a distinct voice, she just has a distinct look and she's shaking her tight, carapace-plated arse all over the cinematics. We identify her by her image, not her voice.

But you play Thief through Garrett's eyes. 99% of the game is from his POV and Russell's gravelly, confident whisper was with us at every step as we explored sprawling mansions and twisted streets. That distinct voice WAS Garrett, because we never saw enough of him to identify him by sight (which is what a good thief does).

This new guy has some big shoes to fill, because thieving can be a lot of work. Having a dull monotonous voice like the one in the trailer droning in our ears is a recipe for boring. And boring just isn't profitable.

a well done trailer, there's no gameplay but thats fine, it was clearly made to stir up interest and to show off the world a bit. but we didn't see any combat and there was theifery so maybe all this talk to it being an action game are being a bit mother superior. the new actor doesn't bother me although it is a shame, i would care more if it was a sequel but its a reboot so i think its good to the writer some room to make what ever character they want.

So ... Garrett wears guyliner now?

I will kind of miss Stephen Russell, but whoever that guy is he's doing a pretty decent Stephen Russell impersonation, so whatever. As others have said, it's all about the gameplay.

The trailer certainly cleaned up confusion over an issue id had. None of the promotional material showed the mechanical eye. The presence of the eye makes me wonder wether its a full blown reboot or perhaps theyre running with established canon.

I will miss that voice though...

Yes having different voice actor will mean that it is not Garrett anymore. People who are not fans will not care of course but people like me will care a lot. If my voice should change today to a completely different voice today the people whom i play computer games over the internet with, would not recognize me because they never saw my face and they only heard my voice. If Garrett's voice will change then I will not recognize him as Garrett but as some other dude with the same name.

I still remember the first lines of the first briefing in Thief 3 with Garrett's voice reading it out loud in my mind and I cannot imagine that it would be read out by someone else.

And of course the new VA can read the sarcastic/witty/snarky comments but it will not be the Garrett from Thief 1/2/3 but someone else.

Stephen Russell even voices Mercer Frey the leader of the Thieves Guild in Skyrim. Even Bethesda knows who has the voice of master thief.

Ishigami:
And Glynnis Talken Campbell voiced Kerrigan before she was replaced with Tricia Helfer in SC2.
Is now every voice actor change worthy of a drama?
I seriously didn't know the voice of Garrett was a "thing". - Sorry Russell I could not care less.

People apparently get hooked so much on the 3 seconds of action yet avoiding the guard and observing the loot does bypass them. "Without sneaking"? - Well there it was duh...

Everything about this game looks good to me thus far.

He was a good voice actor. The new guy sounds like Russell Crowe trying to sound American. He's not that bad, it's just not really "Thief" without him.

What does bother me is that they are probably going to delay the fucking game until Microsoft and Sony can get their shit together.

SnakeoilSage:
Kerrigan doesn't have a distinct voice, she just has a distinct look and she's shaking her tight, carapace-plated arse all over the cinematics. We identify her by her image, not her voice.

Someone only played HotS I take it.

SnakeoilSage:
This new guy has some big shoes to fill, because thieving can be a lot of work. Having a dull monotonous voice like the one in the trailer droning in our ears is a recipe for boring. And boring just isn't profitable.

And I don't see that.
Russell sounds very much the same to me in his mission introductions throughout the series.

I don't mind people liking someone but condemning a game because the voice actor might have changed is just silly in my eyes, at the very least at this point.
I mean we have three games with Russell (didn't even know his name until now) and about 5 sentences of the new guy.... yea a very fair competition there.
And if the game play is good then the voice of Garrett doesn't really matter at all unless its an immersion breaker.
You want an example of that? They re-synchronised the German version of Jaws in 2004 to adapt the movie to DD5.1 for its re-release on DVD. Chief Brody received the German voice actor of Eddy Murphy... yea deal with that for one second: Roy Scheider sounding like Eddy Murphy.
Suffice to say that didn't stick very well and the 2012 BR release now includes the original theatre synchronisation.

Point is: Garrett voice should be very low on the priority list all things considered that could go wrong here.

The voice actor is alright but it doesn't feel like Garrett anymore to me. Though the voice actor will not be a deal breaker for me, but damn it did we have to lose Hayter and Russell in the same week?

Ultimately the if the gameplay emulates the old Thief games, that is to say being 80% moving around in the pitch black in sprawling levels where combat is useful to buy enough time to escape should you screw up, then I will consider this a worthy sequel/prequel/reboot/whatever the hell it really is.

Looks great and the room full of birds makes me think we might see some really elaborate and very strange medieval security systems. Which I think could be very cool. Though I still don't really like the character design and the voice actor while isn't bad isn't the original.

I still think a reboot was a bad idea but oh well.

Ishigami:
And I don't see that.
Russell sounds very much the same to me in his mission introductions throughout the series.

I don't mind people liking someone but condemning a game because the voice actor might have changed is just silly in my eyes, at the very least at this point.
I mean we have three games with Russell (didn't even know his name until now) and about 5 sentences of the new guy.... yea a very fair competition there.
And if the game play is good then the voice of Garrett doesn't really matter at all unless its an immersion breaker.
You want an example of that? They re-synchronised the German version of Jaws in 2004 to adapt the movie to DD5.1 for its re-release on DVD. Chief Brody received the German voice actor of Eddy Murphy... yea deal with that for one second: Roy Scheider sounding like Eddy Murphy.
Suffice to say that didn't stick very well and the 2012 BR release now includes the original theatre synchronisation.

Point is: Garrett voice should be very low on the priority list all things considered that could go wrong here.

Comparing movies and video games isn't the same. You watch movies, you watch Roy Schneider's character react with a sense of frozen dread as he spots the Great White for the first time.

But Garrett, and similar FPS-style games from his era, aren't people you watch. They're people you play. You're looking through Garrett's (or Duke's, or Caleb's) eyes, and all you have to go on who they are besides a basic character design you might spot in a mirror are their voices. Garrett in particular, who talks to himself (and by extension, us) constantly is giving us intimate details about how he thinks and what he does, not just ripping off quotes from Army of Darkness. We applaud the Thief games for giving us the Stealth genre, but those of us who love Thief as hard-core, old-guard fans remember Garrett, dry and snide, casually whispering to himself about how much coin he'll get for pinching an old lady's jeweled necklace. He brought us into his world.

So when we hear someone other than Russell, even just five lines of dialogue, there's a cognitive dissonance. We know this is Garrett, but without Russell's voice, we don't believe it's him. That breaks the immersion for us. Right now a lot of people like me are probably looking at this not as a Thief sequel, but another pretender like Dishonored.

Will it still be good? It has the potential to be. Dishonored is a lot of fun. But it's not Thief.

As a fan of stealth mechanics(these old stealth games were before my time), the trailer and voice are irrelevant to me. It's why I quite liked Deus Ex HR, except the endingtron-5000 that happened at the end.

Making stealth the focus, but still having some forgiveness if you screw it up is a difficult balance to tread. If they can walk that line, I'll buy the game.

Ishigami:
Are you implying that he can't make witty comments or be sarcastic with another voice?
If the new guy is doing a good job then there is little to complain.

No, I'm implying that it's not the same character when someone else is doing it.

He is Garrett only by name now.

I shall spy thee ere long thief! Cease they hiding craven!

Man I can't wait to annoy the hammerites again.

Is Garrett now speaking with a French Canadian accent? I'm sincerely hoping that Stephen Russell is subbed in to do the in voice game or I'm going to be really let down. First Michael Ironside isn't voicing Sam Fisher, then David Hayter isn't voicing Solid Snake and now Stephen Russell probably isn't going to be voicing Garrett. Is this the year when the developers flip the bird at fans of certain series and say "screw continuity, we're going to do it our way"?

Aside from the guyliner, why is this new Garrett so damn pretty? Is this a prequel or something? Garrett is supposed to be a grizzled old Pete-Postlethwaite-looking motherfucker with a face like a disapproving trout. I like Ugly Garrett. I don't want the Prince of Persia from Warrior Within.

I can't go on much from the trailer on the gameplay, but no Stephen Russell? I know to many it seems a little ridiculous to get so fickle about a voice actor change, and it's not that the new guy is all that bad, but it's unimaginable to think of Garrett voiced by anyone else. Imagine an Indiana Jones movie without Harrison Ford. And yes, I know that there are plenty of great characters who are portrayed by countless actors (ex. James Bond), but at the same time... the voice really made the character. Russell's voice gave Garrett that extra boost from a good character from a great character.

I don't know, maybe I'm just longing to listen to his voice for an extended period of time again. I generally equate Russell's voice with what it would sound like if sex could talk.

(He was awesome as Diego, too)

boots:
So ... Garrett wears guyliner now?

I will kind of miss Stephen Russell, but whoever that guy is he's doing a pretty decent Stephen Russell impersonation, so whatever. As others have said, it's all about the gameplay.

Well, it makes sense to cover up the skin on your face.

Undomesticated Equine:
http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Out-of-the-Shadows

PREORDER CANCELLED!!!

1: What is the reason for cancelling your preorder?

2: Why the heck did you even preorder?

Because from the post it appears that they are shooting a CGI movie with game attached to it and because of that we cannot have Stephen Russell as Garrett. That kind of full body mocap could be justified for something as Mass Effect or The Witcher, but i do not see how it will benefit Thief style game. So from that i assume that this game will not be a Thief game but something completely different with the same name, like say Garrett with different voice.

PREORDER CANCELLED!!!

Well there are no pre-orders yet afaik, what i meant by that is that I do not trust them to get it right and therefore I shall not be placing a pre-order when it becomes available.

The phrase used to be thrown around BSN quite a lot before ME 3 release and so i remembered it while reading the article as what my reaction would be if there were pre-orders and if i had placed one. I will wait for reviews and then decide.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here