Disney Closes LucasArts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

My first reaction: NONONNONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

After thinking about it: Well maybe its for the best. They haven't been at the top in a long time and I don't think they will be.

Now I am disappointed at 1313 being cancelled. It looked interesting. LucasArts wasn't the ones making that new first person shooter for the xbox though right? The one that would have determined if Battlefront 3 would be made.

Zombie_Moogle:
Telltale Games! Can you hear me?!

Please, grab the IP rights to Grim Fandango! You know you want to. Now's your chance!

Double Fine should get Grim Fandango.

Either one could get Monkey Island as far as I'm concerned, although I suppose Telltale Games have the better resources.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
Wait, does this mean no Battlefront 3?

Dear deities in Heaven, say this is not the end for Battlefront 3!!!!

Battlefront 3 was canceled like years ago.

Yeah, not really surprised. All Lucasarts has been doing in the past decade is milking Star Wars for all it's worth (not that I didn't like most of the games to come out of that).

What surprises me (at first, anyway) is how upset all y'all seem to be about this. I've lost track of how much bile you guys have been throwing at Lucasarts in the past decade, and now you're upset with Disney because they shut it down. Likely in response to the bile. Then I say, "Oh wait, this is the fanbase that refuses to get over the prequels. They have to throw bile at SOMETHING."

Besides, with most of you preparing to hate the sequels, Star Wars is going to get a new wave of publicity that is doubtless going to increase demand for more video games from the franchise (because despite your loud hatred, you keep throwing money at it). Those games will be made; they'll just have different company logos than you're used to.

But no. None of those games will be Battlefront 3. That was cancelled in 2008. I'd tell you to get over it, but again, the prequels.

JediMB:

Zombie_Moogle:
Telltale Games! Can you hear me?!

Please, grab the IP rights to Grim Fandango! You know you want to. Now's your chance!

Double Fine should get Grim Fandango.

Either one could get Monkey Island as far as I'm concerned, although I suppose Telltale Games have the better resources.

Perhaps it's time for a Telltale/Double Fine team-up?

[gasp] the fortuneteller was right...

Well... I's a sad. Some of my favorite games came from that studio. And I still don't know what to make of Disney's acquisition of all the Lucas things. Maybe they can breath new life into the stale Star Wars franchise... but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Okay, the first reaction I had to this was rage. Pure, sun-hot rage.

I don't understand the logic, I really don't. Everywhere I read of people begging for the next Kotor, or the next Battlefront, or even another Star Wars flight simulator.
Disney wouldn't know what to do with all the money they would make from people like me flinging cash at them for the next Monkey Island.
If they take the time to research on the net how popular these games would be, they would see it instantly. Why the hell did they then close Lucasarts? I'm genuinely upset at this. What the hell is wrong with some people?

What is this?!

"LucasArts, a studio that was once among the top developers in the business"

Yep loved those fun and engaging adventure games but then they decided to rape Star Wars and eventually fell to the dark side :(

I'm surprised at how disconnected from their fans these people are. Seriously people would worship you if you announced KOTOR3, new Jedi Academy, Battlefront, Monkey Island or Grim Fandango but noooooooo.....

Cameron Everett:

VladG:
Ehh... Nothing they've made since KotOR has been any good so I don't really lament the loss of the studio. I imagine most of the people that have been behind their awesome previous games have left a long time ago.

They didn't make KotOR that was Bioware, they just nodded and said "go forth and make us money". But I'm sure Disney will still control the IP's until the either decide to sell them or whore them out to game studio x.

They didn't make a lot of stuff that was licensed to other studios. I doubt they had no say whatsoever over those games though.

And in the end, if you're going to stick your name on something, you are responsible for that something.

While this is sad I can't say I'm not really surprised. Lucas Arts really lost their A game a long time ago and I guess at this point they were considered a liability. While I'm sad that those people lost their jobs and that 1313 has been cancelled, but I like to keep hope that Disney will be smart and will sell off the IPs to other companies. Maybe Tim Schafer can finally get Grim Fandango back. :D

Slyaap:
I don't understand the logic, I really don't. Everywhere I read of people begging for the next Kotor, or the next Battlefront, or even another Star Wars flight simulator.
Disney wouldn't know what to do with all the money they would make from people like me flinging cash at them for the next Monkey Island.
If they take the time to research on the net how popular these games would be, they would see it instantly. Why the hell did they then close Lucasarts? I'm genuinely upset at this. What the hell is wrong with some people?

What is this?!

Fate hates Battlefront 3 and games popular in the 90's and early 2000's. Why do you think that almost every reboot of a 10+ year old franchise completely abandons the things that made the original popular in the first place?

It was time to put the old dog down.

Disney, if ever there was a shred of humanity in you or these twisted creatures of yours, it's dead now. You're at war with gaming itself. You are enemies of the internet... your Empire is doomed.

...Okay, okay, considering the state LucasArts has been in for the past decade or so, it's not as bad as all that. But I never wanted it to die. I wanted it to go back to being a game developer rather than a vampire dedicated to draining what little vital fluids remain in Star Wars's vegetative corpse because it'd forgotten how else to live. The Disney acquisition had me hopeful that it might finally see this day, if only because there was officially no more chance of that left under Lucas's management, but alas, it was not to be.

I could cry. Everything Disney has done with the star wars name since they bought it has only upset me. We should do a kickstarter to buy star wars from disney....

Man, there was a point early on when I only cared about Star Wars videogames - Jedi Outcast, Rogue Leader, Bounty Hunter, etc. Those really were the glory days (for me anyway, I wasn't around for the adventure game stuff), but alas.

MrPeanut:

CrazyCapnMorgan:

Yeah but there was that stuff about a shooter called First Assault, and if that did well they'd go ahead with Battlefront 3 (I don't understand the logic there myself, I thought they should've just called it Battlefront 3 since the gameplay was the same) but that's scrapped along with 1313 apparently.

Slyaap:

What is this?!

If I had to guess, they'll just farm those titles out... eventually. Disney is retaining all the rights to those titles so they could easily just get another developer to make it, one with a better recent track record.

Before that happens though, I'm afraid to say I think the next games we'll see from these franchises will be cheap tie in games for the new star wars movies.

There goes another historic game studio. Tis a shame.

To be fair, I'm not gonna miss the current iteration of LucasArts much, seeing as how they haven't put out an in-house game that was good in ages. But I still must mourn their passing, because they gave us some real classics. Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and of course, TIE Fighter. I wouldn't be a gamer if it wasn't for that masterpiece. It defined my childhood, and I owe them a lot for that.

And so, to the honorable creators of TIE Fighter, I bid you adieu. Thanks for the memories.

Wow, a shame. 1313 looked really, really good. Was looking forward to playing it eventually since I assumed they had been working on it for quite some time. Now I am a sad ewok. =(

That is sad, but not entirely unexpected. I'm really bummed about 1313 though, looked as though it could have been really good. Here's hoping that Disney will actually capitalize on the Star Wars IP and use it to make awesome games.

Wow.

Just... Wow.

No "let's bring back old franchises before they started milking the cow" or "let's keep the good star wars games going."

Just "fuck it, it's done for."

Wow.

I gotta give it to you Disney... You have balls.

Coming this fall: Disney's™ Star Wars™: Jedi Mickey™ a fun new game for the whole family! Join Mickey Mouse™ as he journey's to a Galaxy Far Far Away™ to join his pals Qui Gon Goofy™ and Darth Duck™ to save the galaxy!™™™$$$™™™

LucasArts has been under total ass management since 2004, when Jim Ward took over.

Some of his first moves was to cancel Full Throttle: Payback/Hell on Wheels and Sam&Max: Freelance Police (which was nearly finished at the time)
and subsequently shelve all "classic franchises" till at least 2015 (scaring off most old-school LucasArts devs like Tim Schafer).

There was also later a strategy put in place by him that LucasArts should "focus on internal development", leading to such great games like "The Force Unleashed I+II" instead of making more Jedi Knight, Battlefront, X-Wing, KOTOR or similar titles.

There was a quick moment of incline after 2008, when Darrel Rodriguez took over, he was responsible for some good old Adventure Classics showing up on Steam: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/07/06/steam-lucasarts-global-fangasm/ and the Monkey Island 1+2 Special Edition Remakes, as well as the licensing deal for Star Wars: The Old Republic with EA/BioWare which was announced shortly after: http://www.1up.com/news/kotor-mmo-announcement-liveblog
He also closed the deal with Telltale to produce Tales of Monkey Island in 2009: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/01/lechuck-me-monkey-island-returns/

His reign wasn't long and he (was forced?) to resign in 2010: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/07/lucasarts-president-darrel-rodriguez-resigns/

Since then it's been business as usual, although Star Wars 1313 could have been interesting as a "good for what it is" kind of game.

Here's also an interesting article by some of the Battlefront developers focusing a lot on LucasArts if someone missed it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-free-radical-vs-the-monsters

________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, THQ gone, ATARI bankrupt, LucasArts gone, EA and SquareEnix in trouble. Even the big ones like Nintendo and Sony fighting with a lot of issues and financial problems and a console generation shift in progress. I'm really hoping for an industry crash taking care of a lot more of the big publishers, maybe then "gaming" can move on with a paradigm shift from the "AAA games, Hype, Pre-Order, Marketing, Doritos!" one they are presently still stuck in.

I'm feeling 50/50 on it. On the one hand Lucas Arts and I had so many fond memories together. They still had a few bits of talent to pop out as well (in my opinion) they just needed the right direction and I really feel bad for all of the displaced employees. At the same time I also know that developing in house is usually a risk. As a publisher you can have someone else develop games for your IPs and then when they suck you can blame the developer, just look at EA pushing all the blame on Maxis (or rather forcing Maxis to take it). So financially this might be the right move for them.

I will continue to withhold my judgement about this acquisition until I see some products of it.

FamoFunk:
I hate hearing news about people losing their jobs. Sad. I really love Monkey Island, too

While this is true, it wouldn't be the first time that The Escapist put a thread post on hold to take the source and write up a news article about it. There's been multiple cases where a forum post won't be approved until a few minutes after they take the source and write an article.

OT: I... I can't believe we lost them... all the podracing, starship piloting, potentially great rated-M star wars game making goodness that was LucasArts [except for that Kinect thing, obviously].

(Edit): Part of me is glad that other studios can finally begin developing games in the StarWars universe, as this means pet projects won't get in the way of redeveloping sequels to old classics. I just hope Disney isn't trying to drag StarWars into the realm of "family-friendly" in order to simply sell more merchandise.

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but... this makes me really nervous about SWTOR now. They're days away from the first expansion, and Disney could easily just yank the license from them, especially with LucasArts gone now.

This has been my biggest fear with Disney getting the Star Wars franchise. Sure they seem to be alright with making movies, but their games are laughably bad most of the time. This could be the end of seeing ANY good Star Wars game for a very long time, unless they offer game licenses to devs that might do them justice. We'll see.

Disney went all "Old Yeller" on their ass.

Wow... I'm quite speechless about this. Granted LucasArts hasn't really made any great games in a long time, but I grew up on a lot of their games.

This is a shame, I loved Lucasarts when I was growing up. Now, 150 people are out of jobs while two promising projects were in the works.

Here's hoping someone else swoops in to make a sequel to Grim Fandango and/or Star Wars: X-Wing.

Brad Shepard:
god dammit Disney! why would you do this?

Because LucasArts has been creatively dead since 2006? All the while losing money? Sounds like good reasons to me. Why keep a company that for the most part, puts out constant below average efforts.

It all depends on how and who they licence their properties to.

MarsAtlas:
"Hey, instead of developing games that will sell like hotcakes, be successful and well-loved like 1313, Battlefront 3, Jedi Knight, and Sam & Max, lets instead hire a Star Trek fan to make a Star Wars film that might be worse than Phantom with a very disheartened fanbase" - disneylogic at work.

Actually, Abrams has always been more of a Star Wars fan instead of a Trekkie. One of the main complaints of the new Trek film from fans was that it played out more like a Star Wars film, so hopefully Abrams can be trusted in the director's chair.

Anyway, this really stinks, no 1313, and now pretty much no chance of Battlefront 3.

I WOULD'VE BOUGHT AN HD BATTLEFRONT LUCASARTS, WHY DIDN'T YOU MAKE IT!!!?!?!?!?!?!?

I don't get why people are upset about this really. Totally Games made the amazing Star Wars flight sims, BioWare made KoToR, all this means is that games such as these would be published by Disney rather than LucasArts - if anything, because they've fired the idiots that wouldn't comission a TIE Fighter 2 or Battlefront 3, it makes those games more likely to finally be created!

Wow, that is kinda sad. Guess I shouldn't hold my breath for a Gladius sequel then yeah? Not that there was any hope for on in the first place, but still. Kinda sad.

MrPeanut:

CrazyCapnMorgan:

I meant the potential for it. I knew the actual game was scrapped, but there was always the possibility that it could come back. Now with LucasArts gone, I'm wondering if that potential is gone along with them, or if someone else can make the game...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here