Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Ken Sapp:
Lost job after publicly demonstrating contempt for employer's customers? #DealWithIt

LOL, good one! Totally agree. Plus; nice Kenshin avatar! ^_^x

Strazdas:
if electricity goes out, you dont clame the cacuum creator, but if YOUR INTERNET goes out, you blame microsoft? double standarts FTW?

It would be double standards iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiif the next Xbox required, due to laws of nature, to have an internet connection to work.

It doesn't. Internet connection is an extra requirement put there to protect profits

'Christ, what an A-Hole'.

I just put my mobile phone into airplane mode. It's completely offline. IT STILL PLAYS GAMES.

Last gen launch (X360 vs PS3) it was MS being humble and Sony being gigantic arrogant pricks. Looks like the tables are turned.

This happens any time MS gets a little leverage.

Strazdas:
There is only one thing that is always online, and that is my PC. nothing else is connected to the internet.

That being said, i find it hilariuos that when people scream about PR bullshit and thne get a straight dela with it answer they scream even louder. i applaud him on having balls to just go out and said deal with it, like as if noone else know this is their stance anyway.
World is going online, like it or not, and you are going to have to get plugged in or go live in a cave. deal with it.

c)If the power goes out, noone is going to blame the vacuum company. People will blame you when they can't use the product they paid for, and they won't be able to use the product they paid for at all times.

if electricity goes out, you dont clame the cacuum creator, but if YOUR INTERNET goes out, you blame microsoft? double standarts FTW?

d)There has never been a vacuum cleaner that didn't require being plugged in.

yes there was, it was called a broom.

i think you missed the point slightly. if your internet goes down, thats your fault, not microsofts, what people are getting pissed over is that even if YOUR internet works, that doesn't mean there's does. everyone who tried playing simcity had working internet connections, but EA servers couldn't handle it. that makes it their fault ALMOST entirely (save for the people who actually bought the game). however as stupid as it is, i do agree that at least he had the balls to outright say it, rather than try to disguise it as a 'customer service' move.

also, a broom is not a vacuum cleaner. a broom moves the mess, a vacuum cleaner tries to suck in the mess. they are both cleaning products, but are not both vacuum cleaners.

Norrdicus:
Sony CEO Kaz Hirai, what do you have to say about this?

Hello?

You ther-

I skiped the last console generation entirely and was likely to do the same with this coming one(PC Gamer). But after seeing this Sony CEO troll the MS exec, Im really tempted to get a PS4. This, ladies and gentlemen, is how you troll. Not be reciting some tired meme you saw on 4chan 3 yrs ago, but with the actual application of wit. And Sony CEO's profile picture was a nice touch. 10/10.

Andy Orth loses his job at Microsoft #dealwithit

Please make it happen Twitter, should the opportunity arise, it will make my day.

Oh and make room Sony, I'm jumping aboard.

Slyaap:
Ok....I'll deal with it. I've decided not to buy the next version of the Xbox.

Dealt with.

(I hope this isn't too low content, I'm awfully new at this)

Hi'ya, welcome to the Escapist. When Microsoft asks the both of us why we did not buy their newest console we will both say in unison: This douche you hired convinced us otherwise.

I want my console to be available when I want it to be, where I want it to be, no exceptions. Also if this always on Kinect thing turns out to be true then that will be another nail in the coffin for Microsoft from me.

There is absolutely no question, this man is about too be thrown under the bus by Microsoft.
He'll be fired, his family will be fired, everyone he ever knew will be fired.
Microsoft will violently and with finality purge every mention of him from the reality in which we inhabit.

I remeber one of the creators of the original Xbox saying the console owes its success to a series of bad decisions their competitors made and not to anything Microsoft has done. I suppose this is what he meant.

No, all our devices are not "always on", at least not in this way. There's a huge difference between being able to use online functionality to enhance a device wherever it is, and deliberately crippling that device from performing functions it would otherwise be capable of arbitrarily just because there is no network connection.

My mobile devices don't lose the capability of launching apps I've purchased when its in airplane mode. My desktop and laptop computers don't stop performing local tasks when no network is available. Both of these classes of devices are more useful online, but are still useful offline.

An "always online" console that won't let you play more than a few minutes without a network connection is a brick around its owners neck, inconveniencing only those who have unmodified devices with legitimately purchased content, and having no effect whatsoever on piracy.

This certainly brings into sharp focus the need to eliminate class action lawsuits in TOS modifications over the past few years, because even if the console doesn't work like this at launch, they might update it to work this way later.

thethird0611:

Jandau:

thethird0611:
I have a feeling most comments on this article are going to be directed toward Microsoft because of the title... instead of the Exec himself.

There's a difference between an exec like that saying it (who probably doesnt play video games), and the corporation saying it.

No, there isn't, not really. People in high corporate positions making public statements directly related to the line of business their company is involved in will always be interpreted as making semi-official statements in the company's name. This is a reality of their work and they should be aware of this and refrain from making such statements to avoid it reflecting badly on the company in question.

You might say that while this is true, it's still not fair, but it is fair. Who do you think makes corporate policy? The execs. So when an exec makes a statement regarding the business practices of his company, even if it's a personal statement, it still reflects his own standpoint and views, which in turn shape the overall corporate policy. A douche doesn't suddenly stop being a douche when he goes to work.

I have to highly disagree with you, because people making personal statements are not official statements. Let me give you an example of how this statement could be a very personal statement.

Researcher- Executive Board, we are going to lose sales if we make the console always online.
Execs - Our stockholders see it as needed, can we make it work.
Researcher - Sorry sir, we will make less money in the long run.
Exec- Fine, cut it out.
Exec on his personal twitter - I dont get why yall are so dramatic about it.

Its about intention. If you cant take a personal opinion (which he clearly shows its personal, from his replys, which if it was really about the company, he would of said something more professional), then you need to step back and think.

An unprofessional exec is an unprofessional exec. An unprofessional exec does not speak for his company on his personal twitter account, unless he states it.

Well, in that case, we'll just have to disagree. The example you provided wasn't an example, it was a situation you created to fit your argument, and one can do that for any argument one chooses to make, so it doesn't really prove anything either way.

An exec speaks for his company, period. He doesn't get to make personal statements on a public platform regarding the work he does. I'm sorry, he doesn't. And the key here is the platform. If he wants to rant to his friends over a beer, sure, go fot it. But Twitter is hardly a private setting. It's a public platform and statements made on it are treated as such. Imagine if you will (since we're making examples up and all), if Obama tweeted how he'd personally really like to nuke the fuck out of North Korea. By your reasoning, it's a personal opinion and we shouldn't think twice about it...

An unprofessional exec speaks for his company just as a professional one does.

Kargathia:
Customers who don't like what you're selling won't buy it. #dealwithit.

Quoted for the motherfuckin' truth. Microsoft is run by idiots.

They will crash and burn because of things like these. Always-ON is not the world we live in. It's the world you want to force us to live in. Good luck with that.

Oh. Oh wow.

Fuck this guy.

How can someone be THAT completely ignorant of the world, no, of his own fucking country/state? Does he even realize that a significant portion of the United States still doesn't even have access to basic broadband? That a surprisingly large percentage of the US still uses DIAL-UP?

(Beyond this, he makes it seem like the average person, or average lower-middle/lower class person at least, has much of a choice regarding what county they live, which is asinine and frankly disgusting in itself)

Were it any demographic other than suburban/rural folk that he was spitting in the face of, a statement like his would have gotten him fired. Fuck, I hope these string of tweets does get him fired.

Well, guess I'm getting a proper gaming pc next year then.

According to his LinkedIn profile, he was the creative lead behind several LucasArts titles including The Force Unleashed 2 and this:

I guess when LucasArts was shut-down he wanted to accompany it down in flames as well.

relevant link and image

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-orth/44/354/b44

Looks like microsoft is replacing YLOD with 404 errors.

This is just an other example of why I think that twitter needs to have a pop-up that appears every time you want to tweet something that says "Really? You want the public to read that? Just think about what you're saying for a minute." Kind of like the little paper clip dude in Word or that buddy you have that stops you from drunk dialing an ex.

Haha. I was wondering when microsofts policy of "caging-and-dumping-in-a-deep-dark-hole" their loose mouth employees would fail them.

This is the kind of facepalm provoking crap we usually see from EA, Ubisoft and activision.....

As much as I love my 360 (I own a PS3 and a PC too, so no bias here) I would very much like Microsoft to make the 720 always online, and then have the sales tank, and Microsoft close the games division of the company.

Not because I hate Microsoft, but it would serve as a good warning to every other company that they shouldn't do it.

Aramis Night:
I skiped the last console generation entirely and was likely to do the same with this coming one(PC Gamer). But after seeing this Sony CEO troll the MS exec, Im really tempted to get a PS4. This, ladies and gentlemen, is how you troll. Not be reciting some tired meme you saw on 4chan 3 yrs ago, but with the actual application of wit. And Sony CEO's profile picture was a nice touch. 10/10.

That is a joke/parody account.
https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO

PARODY ACCOUNT.

Also, I'd like to add that this is also an article from Yesterday with another Source basically saying the same thing, even offering specifics: http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456 which this was apparently a reaction to.

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

Dr. Octogonopus:
Looks like microsoft is replacing YLOD with 404 errors.

This is just an other example of why I think that twitter needs to have a pop-up that appears every time you want to tweet something that says "Really? You want the public to read that? Just think about what you're saying for a minute." Kind of like the little paper clip dude in Word or that buddy you have that stops you from drunk dialing an ex.

This picture becomes more and more true everty passing day, I swear

Whoever thought up Twitter ought to be tried for crimes against humanity.

Every device is 'always on' Mr Orth?

Only device I own that is always online is my modem because that's its function.

Dude sounds hopelessly blind to the real world.

Norrdicus:

Strazdas:

It would be double standards iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiif the next Xbox required, due to laws of nature, to have an internet connection to work.

It doesn't. Internet connection is an extra requirement put there to protect profits

how do you know it doesnt? have you read its code? do you know how it conducts its OS operations, how it plays games? it could very well be that it DOES require internet to function due to laws of nature.
There were mechanic vacuums, where you suck the air with a mechanic pump, therefore vacuum cleaners dont require electricity by laws of nature, still, would you use one?

suitepee7:

i think you missed the point slightly. if your internet goes down, thats your fault, not microsofts, what people are getting pissed over is that even if YOUR internet works, that doesn't mean there's does. everyone who tried playing simcity had working internet connections, but EA servers couldn't handle it. that makes it their fault ALMOST entirely (save for the people who actually bought the game). however as stupid as it is, i do agree that at least he had the balls to outright say it, rather than try to disguise it as a 'customer service' move.

also, a broom is not a vacuum cleaner. a broom moves the mess, a vacuum cleaner tries to suck in the mess. they are both cleaning products, but are not both vacuum cleaners.

That is true. if theri itnernet fails you would not be able to use it. the same way like, say, ebay wont run if their servers crash. and it is entirely on them to take the blame for it. however this does not need to be an often occurance. and while companies continue to fail due to probably some stupid person saying "what, im nto going to let you buy so many servers, i want some money left over for new porshe", but as technology progresses and considering how microsoft already got HUGE servers running for thier other stuff they may just pull it off. not at launch perhaps, but pretty much NOTHING lauched without bugs.
both devices move the mess, in different ways, but they both do. they are both products meant to clean the mess. the new Xbox does not have to be the old Xbox. PS4 surely wont be anything like PS3. it IS a new product. and since we dont know how to works yet, it can be a broom to vacuum jump for all we know.

Jandau:
An exec speaks for his company, period. He doesn't get to make personal statements on a public platform regarding the work he does. I'm sorry, he doesn't. And the key here is the platform. If he wants to rant to his friends over a beer, sure, go fot it. But Twitter is hardly a private setting. It's a public platform and statements made on it are treated as such. Imagine if you will (since we're making examples up and all), if Obama tweeted how he'd personally really like to nuke the fuck out of North Korea. By your reasoning, it's a personal opinion and we shouldn't think twice about it...

You are wrong. simple as that. ANYONE can have private opinion on ANY platform, period. We can be stupid and react to it as an official statement, which is why most companies dont allow thier workers to do that, beucase of people who misinterpre what is official and what is not, like you. if i were to get a twitter account and say "hey i hate poland", woudl that make my organization officially racist? nope. but yet somehow you think it will.
If obama said that on hos personal twotter, i woudl treat it as a personal opinion. does not mean i must forget about it, but i wouldnt take it as an official stance of US.

chadachada123:
Does he even realize that a significant portion of the United States still doesn't even have access to basic broadband? That a surprisingly large percentage of the US still uses DIAL-UP?

and that is a problem exclusively of those people. if living in a first world country - strongest economy in the world - you still have Dial-UP, it is YOUR problem and noone elses.

Dexter111:

Aramis Night:

That is a joke/parody account.
https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO

PARODY ACCOUNT.

Also, I'd like to add that this is also an article from Yesterday with another Source basically saying the same thing, even offering specifics: http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456 which this was apparently a reaction to.

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

Well damn. You just saved me from buying a console for the first time in 10 yrs.

Norrdicus:

Hello?

You ther-

I don't care if that's a parody:
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... oh!
(fell off me chair)

But seriously Microsoft, if you wanted to alienate your fans in one fell swoop, congratulations, you just did it!

I want his job, I mean obviously the only condition to keep his job is not to be an idiot and he's failing.

Norrdicus:

Hello?

You ther-

Ahaha xD I like it.

As for the topic itself, if you don't get why people dont like it by now you're simply ignoring most of the damn community. We don't like it because it means our connection being iffy will mean we can't play and thats depressing.

Every now and then BT digs up wires for lulz and my connection goes tits up for a few days as a result (don't even use the bastards _), or how about my house isn't wired terribly well so when the landline rings the internet cuts out for ten minutes as a result?

How about I don't want Microsoft spying on my activities all the time?

I give it 2 or 3 months after it's out before it's cracked to play offline at an absolute maximum.

Strazdas:

Jandau:

You are wrong. simple as that. ANYONE can have private opinion on ANY platform, period. We can be stupid and react to it as an official statement, which is why most companies dont allow thier workers to do that, beucase of people who misinterpre what is official and what is not, like you. if i were to get a twitter account and say "hey i hate poland", woudl that make my organization officially racist? nope. but yet somehow you think it will.
If obama said that on hos personal twotter, i woudl treat it as a personal opinion. does not mean i must forget about it, but i wouldnt take it as an official stance of US.

It stops becoming a private opinion the moment you declare it to the world, at that point it becomes a very public statment and the dudes twitter account is labeled as an exec of microsoft, its not just his name, he proudly displays his work credentials and position on his twitter, it is as professional as that shit service allows for.

And 'poland' is not a race, it is an ethnicity or nationality, its like you are not racist for saying you hate Alabama.

And if person X (not going to say You because the mods are too jumpy to realize I am not actually directing an insult at you, and am justr using a generic you) is stupid enough to post "I hate the polish" from a twitter account labeled "Person X, chief executive of whatever-fucking-company" Then yeah, people can understandable figure that is the official position of person X and Whatever-Fucking-Company because it has his name, and position within the company displayed right there at the top.

Grey Carter:
Orth's Twitter account has since been made private

Gee, I wonder why?

One day, most devices will be able to maintain a constant internet connection but that day hasn't arrived yet. In the meantime I'm living within a 20 minute drive of Washington DC and can't maintain a stable internet connection with all of my internet enabled devices. Luckily for me, they all have offline functionality (more luckily is that my laptop is the one thing that hasn't had any major connectivity issues). There are people far worse off than myself and, people better off than myself who have worse internet connections, especially with games consoles.

That isn't even the most important thing though...games consoles are toys of escapism. Shouldn't the core delivery system be accessible to as many people as possible? There are always people who have less restrictions than others but video games are (or rather were) meant for kids. Kids don't generally have control over how much access they have to the internet and parents wouldn't be happy to discover they just spent $500 or so dollars on a toy their kids can't use.

XandNobody:
Sometimes, I miss the middle ages.

You guys knew how to light an asshole on fire back then.

This made my morning.
THANK YOU.

OT: Um, yeah he seems to be a bit of a dick. I would say something akin to "Please allow me to deal with it by not buying your product." but I already wasn't going to so there.
*shrugs and walks away*

In our household we have a vacuum that comes apart into a smaller less powerful vacuum when it's not plugged in... games used to be the same way...

Well, it looks like there will be a Jimquisition episode about this.

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/320000751558602753
https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/320001138608988160

(how do you insert twitter tweets on The Escapist?)

Well at the moment I have a terrible internet conection that goes down at least 4 times a day.

If my console was gonna keep kicking me from games if I was disconnected for more than three minutes then I would do what I do with Ghost Recon, which also keeps kicking me...I would not play it.

And when our house got robbed and they cut the internet line...which was down for 3 weeks...I was happily able to play my console still, something that I wouldn't be able to do with always online.

"The mobile phone reception in the area I live in is spotty and unreliable. I will not buy a mobile phone," he added.
Well, of cause I wouldn't, I'd use the landline.
"Sometimes the electricity goes out. I will not purchase a vacuum cleaner,"
That's what brooms are for or cordless hoover's.
Your logic is simplistic and stoopid.

Strazdas:

how do you know it doesnt? have you read its code? do you know how it conducts its OS operations, how it plays games? it could very well be that it DOES require internet to function due to laws of nature.
There were mechanic vacuums, where you suck the air with a mechanic pump, therefore vacuum cleaners dont require electricity by laws of nature, still, would you use one?

Your logic is flawed. The move from mechanic vacuums to electric is a matter of convenience. Switching from offline to online consoles is not. Besides everyone that uses a gaming console or PC obviously has access to electricity whereas there is still a large percentage of gamers that do not have a decent internet connection. This is coming from someone that plays on consoles but only has a crappy 3g internet connection.

Also

Strazdas:

I agree that anyone can have their own private opinion as long as it stays private whether they keep it to your self or among friends, but as soon as it becomes easily available to public viewing it becomes a public opinion and the DealWithIt tweet was directed at the general public. While Obama tweeting that he hates Poland would be his opinion and not of the official stance of the US it is not something you would want to hear from a figure that can influence the stance of the US. If its Adam Orthy's opinion that the NextBox should always be online then fine, but by sharing his tweet Orthy has influenced the general public into having a negative view of Microsoft. People with power/influence need to be responsible for what they say in public

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here