Mother 3 Fan Translation Team Offers All Assets To Nintendo

Pages PREV 1 2

kiri2tsubasa:

Quantum Star:

kiri2tsubasa:
I have to ask. How many people honestly care about this game any more it has been what, 15-20 years since it was released? The people hat want this already played this, and even then how many of them will pay for it. I'm sorry buy that may be a loss-leader if they do release the game.

If you've actually seen the video of fans expressing their gratitude on Miiverse, you would know the answer to that. There are people in this thread right now who have said they would gladly buy it so they can play the game properly instead of on an emulator, and to show Nintendo that there is a market for these types of lower profile, niche games. Given the number of people that have been waiting for so long for Nintendo to make this announcement, I think it's very likely they will make a profit. And the game was released seven (five for the translation,) years ago, so please don't throw out random numbers.

Considering that it was a squeal to a SNES game, you can not fault someone for thinking it was on the SNES, or the N64 at latest.

That would be true, if the article didn't tell you what the release date was, which it did.

Atmos Duality:
And they're right to be cynical, given Nintendo's history of stubbornness in porting such games.

Which is why Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower never got a US release.

leet_x1337:

Which is why Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower never got a US release.

Nintendo completely dragged their feet on the matter and the fans had to petition them to get those games localized outside of Japan. Almost as if Nintendo was being...stubborn about releasing those games.

But that would be silly.

Atmos Duality:
Nintendo completely dragged their feet on the matter and the fans had to petition them to get those games localized outside of Japan. Almost as if Nintendo was being...stubborn about releasing those games.

It is almost as if some people in the Western game industry like Yahtzee have done so much shaming to the jRPG genre than many Japanese companies don't want to localize them because it is a "loss of face" for them that the games even exist.

As if they want to sweep the genre quietly under the rug.

It is the only explanation I can form for this ridiculous behavior.

EstrogenicMuscle:
It is almost as if some people in the Western game industry like Yahtzee have done so much shaming to the jRPG genre than many Japanese companies don't want to localize them because it is a "loss of face" for them that the games even exist.

As if they want to sweep the genre quietly under the rug.

It is the only explanation I can form for this ridiculous behavior.

I won't pretend to understand their aversion; honestly, I only have guesses.
Which becomes even more baffling when one considers that a decade ago, the Japanese publishers practically OWNED the mainstream gaming market.

While I've seen a lot of overt dismissal of jrpgs on the net in recent years, I am unsure if this is a sign of mass-rejection or loud minority dissent. Could be either, at different times.

Maybe when western games exploded in popularity, they showed up more traditional Japanese games and shaped the new gamers entering the market (and from 2006 - 2010, we saw a huge surge in the overall size of the gaming market). Eastern culture (especially Japanese) was something of a fad in the late 90s and early 2000s, which may have been driving demand. Now, it's...not.

But even amidst all that, I don't understand why Japan just sort of started retreating back into their own market starting around 2008 (my very rough estimate). Most of these games, while niche, are just waiting on localization which didn't stop publishing efforts in the previous generation.

Outside of inflation, why would localization costs rise to the point where it becomes unsustainable in such a short time?
It can't cost that much to translate: freaking FANS are translating these games for free.

With the advent of digital download, the cost of distribution is lower than ever (no used market, no threat of overproduction since demand will self-regulate distribution). I imagine Fire Emblem: Awakening surprised Nintendo earlier this year with its sales.

AC10:
I hope they do it and release it only as SNES carts to troll people.

Oh my god, that would make me so happy! I still love playing games on my snes and it's been rather hard to find games for it at a decent price recently.

-Dragmire-:

AC10:
I hope they do it and release it only as SNES carts to troll people.

Oh my god, that would make me so happy! I still love playing games on my snes and it's been rather hard to find games for it at a decent price recently.

SNES was one of the few consoles I didn't own :( :( :(.
I should go buy one, I think there's an old games store close enough to my apartment.

Atmos Duality:
Almost as if Nintendo was being...stubborn about releasing those games.

But that would be silly.

And we got them localised. You seem to be nitpicking. Instead of taking it as a bad thing that it took some time and effort on our part, why not just be happy that we got them at all? Didn't your mother ever tell you about gift horses?

leet_x1337:

And we got them localised. You seem to be nitpicking.

Funny. I could accuse you of the same.

...it took some time and effort on our part...

That is my criticism: It took concerted effort to convince a major game publishing company to literally do its damn job.
ITS ONE, PRIMARY JOB. These aren't even games Nintendo must invest into to get developed; they're already done, either by third party or as old titles. (I dunno, maybe the third party developers gave Nintendo shit about it? I can't imagine they would given that is their business relationship.)

I find it insane that they would withhold games that increase the appeal of their console when that is exactly their purpose; the exact business model they run.

More topically, Nintendo has had no excuses when it comes to re-releasing the Mother series.

They own the rights to the games; they can't even claim "prohibitive manufacturing costs" as digital distribution costs a small fraction of what physical media does to distribute and their last three systems (Wii, WiiU, 3DS) all have digital distribution options built into them.

I am left with no rational explanation, and they refused to capitulate until a their fans made a big PR buzz about it.
Really, why the fuck shouldn't I be skeptical, let alone cynical?

..why not just be happy that we got them at all? Didn't your mother ever tell you about gift horses?

Of course I am happy with the results of Operation Rainfall.
But that doesn't mean I should just cast critical thinking to the wind, or assume that Nintendo is going to budge again.

I mean, the fact that Operation Rainfall was necessary in the first place raises some uncomfortable questions about Nintendo and their business model.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here