Dragon's Crown Designer Apologizes for Exaggerated Characters

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Akalabeth:

Yes you can measure sexuality actually.
As a basic example:

A woman in a mini skirt sitting with her legs crossed.
A woman in a mini skirt sitting with her legs wide apart.

One is overtly sexual. One is not. Can you guess which one is which?

So yes, sexuality CAN be measured.
And when we have a drawing of a woman with her ass up against a pole, which brings up images of strippers and/or phallic inferences, and when she's holding a skeleton up to her bossom in the same way a mother breast feeds a child then yes it is overtly sexual.

My argument came out wrong. I mis-worded myself.
By measurement, I meant "limit."

Why is overt sexuality considered a big no, while some sexuality is ok? You can measure them, but can you measure what is ok?

Akalabeth:

None of that is in the LEAST WAY relevant to this discussion. I don't care who he is, or what he's done, or anything, what I care about is his artwork in the context of his goal which is:

"I exaggerated the silhouettes of all the masculine features in the male characters, the feminine features in female characters, and the monster-like features in the monsters from many different angles until each had a unique feel to them," (emphasis mine)

Unique feel. Does the Sorceress have a unique feel? No, I'm sorry. It doesn't. Big boobs and big ass ain't unique in the slightest. Do the other females have a unique feel to them? Yes. Do the male characters? Yes. The Sorceress does not. She's a cliche. And maybe in the context of that game a cliche is a suitable choice to help distinguish it from the other characters but that doesn't change the fact it's a cliche. It's been done before, it's not unique, etcetera.

You brought up distinction. So I responded to that and emphasized that he doesn't need to care about his distinction, cause he does what he wants to.

He did what he thought was unique. In terms of sexuality? Yeah they aren't unique, I agree with that. In terms of proportions and silhouette they sort of are (for a modern RPG anyway) cause you can identify their roles without needing them in detail in color whilst retaining his distinctive style.

Like seriously is that the normal response? "oh you don't like naked women so I'm going to draw some gay orgy to satisfy you.". Kinda sad and it misses the point entirely.

It's a humorous response. But if you want a serious response, what would one do? Say: "Ok sorry my characters don't appeal to you."

If the "point" is "I think these characters are too sexual." Then what more can be said? "Ok, well I like drawing them that way."

'Well-endowed' characters are pretty much expected (even if it's not exactly fair to women's self-image) in this kind of game but the grotesque tumours on the chest of that sorceress look like they're about to shear strait off her chest from weight strain.

Headdrivehardscrew:

It also wouldn't be much fun to have thighs the size of two Rottweiler dogs strapped to your loins.

It's fun until you have to find pants that fit.

I don't get why the Sorceress is drawing so much of the attention here. Even if you're going to insist that exaggerating female secondary sexual characteristics is worse than exaggerating male secondary sexual characteristics, at least she has fucking clothes, the amazon is expected to fight monsters in her underwear.

though I guess that means she doesn't have to find pants that fit.

After seeing the sorceress & the insanely muscular Amazon, I'm surprised they didn't go for the other common extreme fetishes; a lolita, a morbidly obese woman covered in stains & crumbs, a woman with breasts the size of a monster truck who is so weighed down she can't movie, a 4-breasted cow Kemono, a fox Furry, a Futanari (shemale), a schoolgirl who likes to show off her panties via martial arts, a shy Megane with pigtails, a Miko, a cosplay waitress, a flat-chested woman with a massive badonkadonk & thunder-thighs (bigger butt than sorceress, less muscular thighs than amazon), & an axe-crazy Tsundere.

likalaruku:
After seeing the sorceress & the insanely muscular Amazon, I'm surprised they didn't go for the other common extreme fetishes; a lolita, a morbidly obese woman covered in stains & crumbs, a woman with breasts the size of a monster truck who is so weighed down she can't movie, a 4-breasted cow Kemono, a fox Furry, a Futanari (shemale), a schoolgirl who likes to show off her panties via martial arts, a shy Megane with pigtails, a Miko, a cosplay waitress, a flat-chested woman with a massive badonkadonk & thunder-thighs (bigger butt than sorceress, less muscular thighs than amazon), & an axe-crazy Tsundere.

I think you mean, "axe-crazy yandere."

I think its good he apologized for what he did on facebook with the three dwarves. I understand what he trying to say and hte point he was trying to make (cause the guy at kotaku was completely wrong in his article about why its offensive for the sorceress to exist as is but say the massive dwarves are an alright image and definitely helped the stereotype of videogames being a boys club). but the art itself... I dont find anyhitng wrong with. yeah the amazon and sorceress are big buxom women I'm sure without much help can be made into masturbation material, but so is the giant ass dwarf and knight/paladin guy so neither really feels out of place. The image is there not as an affront to women but more just the style of the game and homage I guess to what these types of games were. He's not presenting any of these charaters as the next great gordan freeman or anything of that nature. they're just stereotype old school designs for an old school stylized game.

defskyoen:

Do you call calling out an industry veteran, who has been making games for over two decades, founded his own company, made over 10 games and is now 44 years old a "14 year old boy" because one doesn't agree with the art style in one of his games "criticism" instead of trying to shame someone into censoring himself? http://www.giantbomb.com/george-kamitani/3040-91082/

Well that would be an actual argument against me if I had actually written that, but unfortunately I didn't. Hell, I agree with everything they said, but I don't remember claiming that anywhere else so you pretty much just ascribed that to me because it made your rant longer I guess. Anyway I would call that criticism, because being an insult doesn't automatically negate its existence as criticism.

The Sorceress (especially in the second image) does look like she was drawn (or at least conceptualized) by a 14 year old boy, or someone with the mindset of such, a very talented and artistic 14 year old boy, but a 14 year old boy nonetheless. Adding the efcts of the work into the criticism (embarrassment to play it in public, seemingly perpetuating a boy's club mentality, making women uncomfortable) doesn't make it any less of a critique. If the artist feels ashamed of their work when they see it from someone else's perspective through criticism, that's on them, they could easily use the impervious shield of artistic integrity against any and all criticism.

And the reasoning behind the criticism isn't because he has a certain art style, it's because the Sorceress is grinding her ass on her staff for the sake of a sexy pose. I get the skeletal embracing as a motherly type of thing now, but there's no real excuse for the pinup pose.

Don't try hiding behind the "it's only criticism" argument, criticism would be people politely saying that they don't like the art style, what people complaining about boobs are trying to do goes far beyond mild-mannered "criticism" and almost into a full-on hate campaign/witch hunt/fanatical activism against certain individuals based on their dislikes or what they are apparently "offended" by.

Wasn't it one article about how one person felt that the Sorceress was an immature character design made by a 14 year old? That doesn't seem like much of a full on hate campaign or witch hunt, it's one person's observation that some people agreed with. Nothing big really seemed to happen until Kamitani replied by insinuating that the reason the writer didn't like the Sorceress' design was because he was gay, which is certainly offensive and definitely is apology worthy.

Oh, and the scale of the criticism, whether it be one writer or a large number of people doesn't suddenly make the criticism not criticism. Criticism has also never needed to be given politely, it's certainly nice to do it politely, but saying that anything that isn't completely polite in its delivery isn't criticism is wrong.

And while developers shouldn't be immune to criticism, that criticism itself isn't immune to any sort of scrutiny and simply calling "bullshit", nor is the tone in which that supposed "criticism" is uttered.
If for instance someone tries to paint a very talented artist and people liking his work "14 year old boys", "immature" or "misogynists" then I think it is more than fair to call him an idiotic man-child right back.

I never said my criticism was immune to scrutiny or that anyone else's was either. That's kind of why we're having this discussion isn't it?

For that matter this oft-repeated myth that this is somehow "ingrained in the industry" is frankly getting preposterous to a ridiculous amount, go on Steam and scroll through all the new releases. Go through the list and point out to me when the last game with "over sexualized females" has been released, even entirely leaving aside any judgment on the matter.
http://store.steampowered.com/
Then please do tell how this is something that is considered an "endemic problem" and not something that under 5% of the games released fall under at all. Possibly even less since I can't seem to find a single one in the first few pages.

What I am seeing is a bunch of oversensitive radicals that seem to pop up EVERY SINGLE TIME a game dares to NOT appeal to their delicate sensibilities and try to start a flame war against its creator and everyone that may dare to like it by declaring that the games involved are trying to subjugate all of womankind.

*Cough*

LifeCharacter:
So how about you stop making up arguments to ascribe to me just so you can rant about how the me in your head is trying to censor art and be the "arbiter of taste" and actually argue against the points made? Unless that's too much to ask.

It's not the style of the art that bothered me it was mostly the sexualisation of the sorceress character compared to the others.

She looks so characterless and she doesn't put across that she's a powerful sorceress.

With the Amazon I at least appreciate the attempt at drawing a muscly woman for once.

Lovely Mixture:

It's a humorous response. But if you want a serious response, what would one do? Say: "Ok sorry my characters don't appeal to you."

If the "point" is "I think these characters are too sexual." Then what more can be said? "Ok, well I like drawing them that way."

Well the criticism and the call for criticism should both be constructive. If a person does not like the artwork they should give specific reasons why in a respectful manner, similiarily the response of the artist should be a call for such mature criticism rather than a knee jerk reaction where they draw something on the opposite end of the spectrum.

As the artist, one could say "I stand by my artwork and am proud of the results, however having said that I don't want to alienate any people gamers from experiencing and enjoying the game and would ask that if individuals have problems with specific aspects of the art that they present their concerns in a respectful way". Of course he's japanese so, he could do his best and as he has done, maybe provide his insight into his goal when creating the artwork so people could judge it along those lines as they are doing here.

Whereas a critic might say "I understand the approach you're going for and think that you largely succeeded, however, with the second drawing of the Sorceress I think you ultimately strayed from your artistic vision. If you want to portray the Sorceress as a motherly figure with undead as her children, then placing her in a sexually suggestive pose specifically with the staff against her butt, having her bent forward from the waist and image of a grown skeleton breast feeding seems contrary to that intent. Would it not have been more appropriate to have say her seated with a family of conjurations at her feet?"

Something like that.

"You should apologize!"

I guess that's what is wrong with the internet right now. A whole generation of idiots who think they're so special getting to decide who companies should hire/fire based on what they said on Twitter. This is no different. "I don't like his character designs! He should apologize!"

How do these people even manage to live in the real world, where you don't get to have everything your way?

Wintermute:
"You should apologize!"

I guess that's what is wrong with the internet right now. A whole generation of idiots who think they're so special getting to decide who companies should hire/fire based on what they said on Twitter. This is no different. "I don't like his character designs! He should apologize!"

How do these people even manage to live in the real world, where you don't get to have everything your way?

As far as I know, people wanted him to apologize for the homophobic response to being called a 14 year old boy, not the character design. He chose to go on to apologize to anyone who may feel uncomfortable by his design, which is something people do when they're provided with another person's view point that their work could make people uncomfortable, even if he went with the half-assed deflection.

But go on, insult the caricatures of people you have in your head, I'm sure it helps you vent you're mistaken frustrations.

I'd defend all of the characters except the sorcerer and sorceress. Neither of those two were made with a single ounce of originality. I mean damn, at least have given them a damn bobblehead, not the stereotypical elf look. Besides them, the other characters do look relatively original. Enough so that I actually decided to take a look.

But I don't see why unoriginality would make anyone uncomfortable, in fact, quite the opposite. Just boring, old, safe, comfortableness.

I don't know what everyone else is talking about.

LifeCharacter:
As far as I know, people wanted him to apologize for the homophobic response to being called a 14 year old boy, not the character design.

...am I the only one who saw Mr. Kamitani's comment as "You didn't like the exaggerated female designs, what do you think of my exaggerated male ones?" Responding with the dwarf image as sort of a "hey, you're missing the forest for the trees" ribbing, and emphasize "hey, EVERYTHING in this game is so over the top that Frank Frazetta is giving his thumbs up from heaven"?

Moonlight Butterfly:
It's not the style of the art that bothered me it was mostly the sexualisation of the sorceress character compared to the others.

She looks so characterless and she doesn't put across that she's a powerful sorceress.

With the Amazon I at least appreciate the attempt at drawing a muscly woman for once.

The exaggeration of life-giving or life-nurturing assets, which unavoidably also sexualizes a character I accept, is part of a pattern with this guy's necromancers. He takes those attributes and applies them to characters who give life to the dead.

There's a more detailed analysis of that and his history of doing it somewhere on the internets. Personally, I think it's clever and interesting. I also find it sexy, not going to lie. But even if the artist were to make the same admission, I don't think that relegates his adaptation of the necro/lichdom trope to some kind of irrelevant ulterior motive.

I'm not saying you're wrong or to blame if you dislike it, either. Just that, there's a reason she's ``that way`` compared to the others. It isn't arbitrary.

I'll hang fire on making any character judgements until I've played the game. After all, Odin Sphere's promotional material couldn't have done justice to Odette, Queen of the Dead with just a light action trailer. We'll see. I believe in Vanillaware.

I think the Amazon's design would be PERFECT if she just had compact boobs and was completely bottom heavy. The ginormous thighs really work for her design-- she looks like she can crush someone's head like a grape in-between those puppies.

Honestly, as a girl, I don't mind sexy characters. But I think that it's a much more interesting cast that has females of various shapes and sizes as well as men. Or better yet, some male characters who clearly appeal to females... ;P If you want to put a lady in a bikini that's fine, but please give me a walking shirtless scene hunk to compensate haha.

One thing I just find plain bizarre in this game though are the animations. They look really... awkward. Like they were too lazy to actually animate any of the game assets, so they just took the concept art and used the warp tool to give the illusion of movement. It makes all the characters look like they're made of Jello. :s

Well, as long as he doesn't actually change the design, I suppose saying "I'm sorry your offended" is fine. I'd pity people who're offended by a game they don't have to buy too.

I´m not sure i see the problem, yes the sorceress is sexualized, but there are also other kinds of female characters in the game (if the trailer is any indication) i never saw it as a problem that female characters were sexualized but more that there really weren´t that many alternative types of female characters in games, this one seems to get that part right.

I'd much rather fight Jason Schreier to the death than cave in to pressure from him and his cronies. Why cower when I can make a defiant stand as a selfish artist enjoying what I do best?

The issue was never the exaggeration in design. Never. The issue was the disparity in purpose, which was incredibly suspect at best.
Schreier's particular critique was infantile, but it held a grain of truth in pointing out the bizarre, disproportionate pandering of the design.
And frankly, considering Kamitani responded by making a not-very-subtle homophobic jab? Yeah, I've written him off as a creep.

The only thing anyone making Dragon's Crown should apologize for is making it a PS3 exclusive.

I wanna play. :c

You know gamer community[1], you guys make me mad. This guy did nothing wrong, and yet everyone needed to stomp on his artistic vision. I'm sure there are people that defended the ME3 ending because changing it would damage the medium's artistic integrity, yet forced the guy to apologize for drawing pictures the way he wants them.

[1] Not necessarily The Escapist community

Signa:
You know gamer community[1], you guys make me mad. This guy did nothing wrong, and yet everyone needed to stomp on his artistic vision. I'm sure there are people that defended the ME3 ending because changing it would damage the medium's artistic integrity, yet forced the guy to apologize for drawing pictures the way he wants them.

"Artistic vision" doesn't really exempt anyone from criticism, though. For example, Mass Effect 3 had a very distinct aesthetic, but that doesn't excuse why EDI was sexualised to the point that she had a protruding robot cameltoe.
But speaking as someone who takes umbrage with the incessant recycling of these needlessly and childishly hypersexual (not to mention one-sided; the knight, mage and dwarf may also be exaggerated but to compare them would be disingenuous) designs, I would blame gaming culture at large rather than a single artist.

[1] Not necessarily The Escapist community

He shouldn't have to apologize. it's his art, he can make it anyway he wants. If people don't like it, so what? They don't have to buy the game.

Personally i do think the art is a little... odd looking. that guy is a bit too muscular for my taste but i've seen worse. I'm more interested to see the gameplay, if the game plays well i would still consider getting it. i like good art in games just like anyone else but i don't think this type of art is going to destroy the game imo. (although i can see how it would put off some other people and that's okay)

i bet if they had an art style which depicted all black people as half human, ugly, twisted and demonic then almost everyone here would be demanding the artist's head and rightly bloody so.

RedmistSM:

Comparing the Fighter to Rob Liefeld drawings in the article really provokes me as an artist, though. Is it because he has a huge chest, like that Captain America drawing? Styles are different. You can't just draw a regular american superhero comic looking character like normal and then expand his chest, you have to change everything around, and this artist certainly does that. I can understand if this kind of style isn't your thing, but comparing him to Liefeld is unreasonable. Not as much as calling him a 14-year old kid for designing one character with colossal breasts and a nonexistant waist, but still, low blow.

My first thought when I saw most of those character designs was that they looked like Liefeld drawings. The fighter has fists the size of his head and shoulders five times wider than his hips. The dwarf looks similarly proportioned to a character like Cable (from a Cable & Deadpool cover), the Sorceress is in the generic "woman on a comic cover" pose you can see in Godyssey. The amazon looks about as deformed as something like that Captain America pick (serious;y ehat the hell, each of her thighs are the size of her torso). Now obviously there are some stylisitc differences, and I doubt I would mistake them for actual Liefeld drawings, but the look in the same league to me. Why is the comparison unreasonable? Both styles are deformed and out of proportion.

LifeCharacter:
Well that would be an actual argument against me if I had actually written that, but unfortunately I didn't. Hell, I agree with everything they said, but I don't remember claiming that anywhere else so you pretty much just ascribed that to me because it made your rant longer I guess. Anyway I would call that criticism, because being an insult doesn't automatically negate its existence as criticism.

It's not "they", it's "him" and you are implying all of it by defending the utterings of an imbecilic "game journalist" like you are doing. You even just said it again. And no pointing at something and screaming "THAT SUCKS, I DON'T LIKE, PEOPLE WHODUNNIT ARE ASSHOLES" isn't "criticism", it's being a giant man baby.

The Sorceress (especially in the second image) does look like she was drawn (or at least conceptualized) by a 14 year old boy, or someone with the mindset of such, a very talented and artistic 14 year old boy, but a 14 year old boy nonetheless. Adding the efcts of the work into the criticism (embarrassment to play it in public, seemingly perpetuating a boy's club mentality, making women uncomfortable) doesn't make it any less of a critique. If the artist feels ashamed of their work when they see it from someone else's perspective through criticism, that's on them, they could easily use the impervious shield of artistic integrity against any and all criticism.

And the reasoning behind the criticism isn't because he has a certain art style, it's because the Sorceress is grinding her ass on her staff for the sake of a sexy pose. I get the skeletal embracing as a motherly type of thing now, but there's no real excuse for the pinup pose.

Because after everyone turns 15 they suddenly lose interest in female breasts, right? And it's not like even lesbians or other women can appreciate their aesthetic looks? Someone should fucking tell this to everyone in history that has ever dared to sculpt or draw naked lady parts, that they're probably 14 year old boys and are "damaging society". Heck someone should go through art schools around the world and tell everyone how they're 14 year old boys for doing nude drawings. You really got a point here.

If you are embarrassed to play it in public (or look at naked statues and paintings and similar), that is your problem and I guess it tells people a lot more about you than the artist.
And "making someone uncomfortable" was never a valid reason to censor art. (Also my first guess, no offense would be that you are from the US if you consider it that, since let's say that country had a rather problematic view of how damaging the view of a nipple or god forbid breast is for their entire youth, there's even specific censored versions of games like The Witcher and of a whole bunch of movies because of that.) In fact there was a pope that went around the Vatican and removed all the penises of any statues that might have them because he felt "uncomfortable" by them existing: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_true_that_in_1857_Pope_Pius_emasculated_statues_inside_Vatican_City
You know what people call that? Prudery.

At last, you still seem to not be grasping the idea that he doesn't owe you an explanation or an "excuse" for his work and the very idea of something being "harmful art" because it might make people do something is retarded and is the same argument that US state senators are using to try and censor violent games because they have a vendetta against them: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123258-U-S-Senator-Says-Violent-Games-Are-Practice-Simulators or FOX News used to claim Bulletstorm leads to rape: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107628-Fox-News-Says-Bulletstorm-Could-Make-You-a-Rapist
It's a stupid argument beyond all belief.

All I see when I see almost naked character models or giant breast ladies is "Is that the best you can do?" :/

Too many games have done this instead of giving the female character an impressive but light armor while not giving her melon sized tits.

The game just looks like another one of those 2D brawlers. Not gonna bother with it.

I don't believe that anyone should have to apologise for their artistic or creative choices. Yes some people may have found this offensive but that has always been the case with art.

People need to learn to just be offended and get on with it, you choose to take offence at something and making that choice doesn't entitle you to an apology.

He shouldn't have apologized for his work, maybe any offence it caused and the retort to Kotaku but that's about it.

defskyoen:
It's not "they", it's "him" and you are implying all of it by defending the utterings of an imbecilic "game journalist" like you are doing. You even just said it again. And no pointing at something and screaming "THAT SUCKS, I DON'T LIKE, PEOPLE WHODUNNIT ARE ASSHOLES" isn't "criticism", it's being a giant man baby.

Well it's a good thing no one is screaming that. People, originally the game journalist, are calling it immature because of the giant breasts (not that much of a problem with me anymore now that I've been shown the persistent theme of motherly Necromancy, as I've said), skimpy clothing, and the pose of her grinding her staff into her ass. While the artist may not always have an immature mindset when it comes to the designs of women characters, he seemed to have it for this one.

Because after everyone turns 15 they suddenly lose interest in female breasts, right? And it's not like even lesbians or other women can appreciate their aesthetic looks? Someone should fucking tell this to everyone in history that has ever dared to sculpt or draw naked lady parts, that they're probably 14 year old boys and are "damaging society". Heck someone should go through art schools around the world and tell everyone how they're 14 year old boys for doing nude drawings. You really got a point here.

What the fuck are you even talking about? I've made it clear that I'm more concerned about the stripper pose, which you never seem to even acknowledge, and not the breasts, though I will admit the clothing does simply add to the immaturity. I've never said that all depictions of large breasts, nudity, or lady parts is a 14 year old boy, so could you please stop just assigning me opinions that I don't have and have never said I have?

If you are embarrassed to play it in public (or look at naked statues and paintings and similar), that is your problem and I guess it tells people a lot more about you than the artist.

It's not really embarrassing because it has large breasts or involves nudity, though those may occasionally make things awkward in certain circumstances, it's the immature nature of the large breasts and nudity. I wouldn't pull up porn or a live stripper show in public, and I wouldn't play a game where my character bends over and turns her magic staff into a stripper pole to grind on in public either.

And "making someone uncomfortable" was never a valid reason to censor art. (Also my first guess, no offense would be that you are from the US if you consider it that, since let's say that country had a rather problematic view of how damaging the view of a nipple or god forbid breast is for their entire youth, there's even specific censored versions of games like The Witcher and of a whole bunch of movies because of that.) In fact there was a pope that went around the Vatican and removed all the penises of any statues that might have them because he felt "uncomfortable" by them existing: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_true_that_in_1857_Pope_Pius_emasculated_statues_inside_Vatican_City
You know what people call that? Prudery.

Once again.

LifeCharacter:
So how about you stop making up arguments to ascribe to me just so you can rant about how the me in your head is trying to censor art and be the "arbiter of taste" and actually argue against the points made? Unless that's too much to ask.

At last, you still seem to not be grasping the idea that he doesn't owe you an explanation or an "excuse" for his work and the very idea of something being "harmful art" because it might make people do something is retarded and is the same argument that US state senators are using to try and censor violent games because they have a vendetta against them: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123258-U-S-Senator-Says-Violent-Games-Are-Practice-Simulators or FOX News used to claim Bulletstorm leads to rape: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107628-Fox-News-Says-Bulletstorm-Could-Make-You-a-Rapist
It's a stupid argument beyond all belief.

Well it's a great fucking thing that I didn't say any of that then isn't it. I never said that he owed me an explanation for his art, he could have remained completely silent about it when criticism showed up, but he didn't. No, he went on to make a homophobic response which he, if he wants to avoid PR problems, definitely should explain and apologize for. I also never said his art would make people do something, just that have 2 out of 3 of the female characters (all 3 if you count the Ranger's(?) zettai ryouiki) are either wearing nipple/vagina coverage and a set of gloves and boots and that's it, or grinding their ass into their staff for the sake of a sexy pose, all of which doesn't send the best message against the criticisms of immaturity and male pandering video games face.

Seriously, if you respond to me again, respond to what I actually fucking say, not some bullshit about how I want to censor someone or how I think he's going to cause an increase in rape. I'm getting really tired of typing "that's not what I said."

Seventh Actuality:
You can shout 'STYLIZED' as loud as you like but it does nothing to address the real issue, that the men are designed to look powerful while the women are designed to be wanked over. I'd probably give this game a pass on the basis that all those images (with the exception of the sorceress) look too grotesque to be titillating for anyone, but I've heard the same bullshit used to defend too much actual sexism and the designer guy is acting like a child besides so I'm not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Who the hell is wanking to that? I'm not.

As a woman I'm starting to get frustrated with all the abuse Dragon's Crown is having to take. The designs are hyper stylized, and the Sorceress is pretty sexualized, but why does this game get so much flak when Dead or Alive is a worse in every way and gets a free pass? I'm not saying anyone should be upset by the designs by Ninja Team, just that some consistancy would be nice.

There are plenty of issues of sexism in games that should be addressed, and character designs are bottom of that list. Be mad about shitty characterization most women get. Be mad about how many awful tropes still get hammered into the ground. But being mad about the art of a character without having played the game to see how she acts or fights? That's just stupid. For all we know, the story could do an amazing job of painting the Sorceress to be a powerful, smart female that does my gender a favor. I have faith in Vanillaware, Muramasa and Odin Sphere were fair about how they did characters, and this looks to be no different.

I honestly don't have that much issue with the game. I'm the type of person who will get into arguments with an artist on DA for creating skeevy art, but in this game's case, it just seems to be a matter of art style, nothing more. Plus as Jennacide posted above -- for all we know, it'll be another Bayonetta-esque character instead. We can't know until it's been played.

I don't think he needs to apologize for the design, humans are capable of creating many things, some things certain societies arn't going to like but that doesn't mean those things arn't without merit.
He managed to design basic fantasy stereotypes, but in a way which non of us are going to forget, whether that's a good or a bad thing is up to the individual consumer but at least he took a chance instead mulling around in the neutral zone.

On the homo joke thing i know that the japanese have different tastes when it comes to jokes, just watch some of the older less western aimed Jackie Chan films for some grade c maturity. I'm willing to overlook it, it's not like he went on an anti gay tirade.

An artist should never apologize for his or her works. The Public should apologize for giving the artist greif.
Keep in mind there is a thinline where a works stop being art and start being garbage.

If I was the artist, I will tell the world this is

"My work, like it or leave it. If it offends you, fine be offended but under no circumstances I change my artistic expression to appease those whose taste does not align with my own."

The art is reminiscent of the old Conan the Barbarian illustrations with some anime influences.

We live in a magical world every everyone gets offended for the slightest thing.
For those who get offended then start getting self-riguous my words to them is as such.

"No one is forcing you to look at this media, you have the right to choose what media you partake in.
If you do not like it do not buy it, do not look at it, simple as that."

If then if that does not work I simply tell them "Fuck Off".

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here